Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
On the other hand they could also hire a much worse ex-Iowa State coach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

He's making $5 mil with the Bulls. I can't see OSU paying that much, and even if they could I doubt Hoiberg leaves. I have been very wrong about Hoiberg before though.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I don't know how realistic it is for Hoiberg or Donovan to leave the NBA but one thing i can say is that Ohio State can afford $5m.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Yea, OSU can afford it. I would just be surprised if they pay that much for Hoiberg. He's not worth nearly that much.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/872659706656858113

How unimpressive and urgent. Did you just hire the first guy who said yes? I mean he's not a bad coach but I don't trust him to recruit.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Maybe he has another son

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

He's good enough to stop the bleeding. The program was going into complete collapse. He's not that exciting though

Even if you think what he's done is more impressive than it looks because he's been doing it at Creighton, his record at Iowa State throws some cold water on that thinking

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Why was he so bad at Iowa State?

Or maybe alternatively, his overall record doesn't seem THAT great? His best work was building UNI, but he wasn't elite there. He inherited a loaded program from Dana Altman at Creighton and it's just treaded water.

I think my mind was mentally correcting him to Gregg Marshall, who of course would be a way better hire.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Eltoasto posted:

How unimpressive and urgent. Did you just hire the first guy who said yes? I mean he's not a bad coach but I don't trust him to recruit.

That's the "we literally are out of time now" offer, huh?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Fast Luck posted:

He's good enough to stop the bleeding. The program was going into complete collapse. He's not that exciting though

Even if you think what he's done is more impressive than it looks because he's been doing it at Creighton, his record at Iowa State throws some cold water on that thinking

Creighton was a really good program before he got there and the most impressive thing he's done for them was impregnating Doug's mom

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

You could have a worse coach than McDermott but if that's your guy, you may as well have kept Matta.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Matta was the best coach Ohio State's ever had, and by all indications a great guy, and I would've been content to let him have a season or two more just for what he's done for OSU in the past, but the program was also in total meltdown mode. With all five(?) guys from that class with Giddens and Lyle now having transferred or quit and no good classes the last few years coming in, this team has one more season left before it will be at Rutgers level. I don't really think I'm any higher on McDermott than anyone else but I do think making a hire now gives the program the opportunity to start digging out of its dire downward trajectory sooner rather than later.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Kim Jong Il posted:

Why was he so bad at Iowa State?

Or maybe alternatively, his overall record doesn't seem THAT great? His best work was building UNI, but he wasn't elite there. He inherited a loaded program from Dana Altman at Creighton and it's just treaded water.

I think my mind was mentally correcting him to Gregg Marshall, who of course would be a way better hire.

A few starters transferred out of ISU when Wayne Morgan was fired and McDermott was hired, so he didn't have a lot to work with for the first couple years. He recruited some decent players, but no game changers, and just not enough good players. He ended up with a losing record every year he was there too, when Morgan actually had winning records every year and made the tournament one year.

I think he's the definition of a treading water coach. He is not good enough recruiter or coach to build a major program up. He likely succeeded at UNI because he was facing worse competition most of the time.

I was double checking his records, and he has never coached a team past the second round of the NCAA, even with some Creighton teams that were supposed to be really good. This is really not a good hire by OSU.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
The Missouri will flood with the tears of Creighton's whitebread fans if Greg leaves Omaha

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Eltoasto posted:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

Go get 'em, Greg.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Real Name Grover posted:

The Missouri will flood with the tears of Creighton's whitebread fans if Greg leaves Omaha

Nah, they'll just go back to being Nebraska football fans.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
There's a chance he won't accept, right?

Right?

......Please?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Real Name Grover posted:

gently caress that fanbase full of corny white people, said the nebraska fan, somehow without irony, as he clutched his red balloon

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

kittenmittons posted:

There's a chance he won't accept, right?

Right?

......Please?

https://twitter.com/cucoachmac/status/872848300466032640

You're in luck.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

This is why you dont fire a coach in June?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Getting turned down by a coach you didn't want is merely step 1 in landing that big fish! Though it's possible the offer info was false.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
What's the Ohio State equivalent of Sidney Lowe?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/landof10osu/status/872864920592953345

Let's goooooooooo

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Ohio State to announce new "Intentionally Coachless" team.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

I hope they are doing this just because he is in Cleveland right now and it's a short drive from Columbus.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Fast Luck posted:

Matta was the best coach Ohio State's ever had, and by all indications a great guy, and I would've been content to let him have a season or two more just for what he's done for OSU in the past, but the program was also in total meltdown mode. With all five(?) guys from that class with Giddens and Lyle now having transferred or quit and no good classes the last few years coming in, this team has one more season left before it will be at Rutgers level. I don't really think I'm any higher on McDermott than anyone else but I do think making a hire now gives the program the opportunity to start digging out of its dire downward trajectory sooner rather than later.

Maybe you'll make a good hire, but your roster is a wreck. I think Rutgers is clearly going to be better than OSU and Nebraska next season, and my wishful thinking is they'll start to be on the upswing. If Rutgers could hit foul shots they would have won a lot more conference games this year.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I was just picking on Rutgers because they've been the perennial last place team since they joined the Big 10. :) Good for them if they're going to move up next season. What I really meant is this upcoming season is OSU's last remaining year currently in the cards before they sink all the way to the very bottom of the standings. They'll bring back Tate and Bates-Diop and in general I think still have enough left on the roster to avoid being last place but after that class graduates they're done for without some big gets ASAP.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/873002364898291713

Well this would be bittersweet as I also root for Butler, but hopefully they can continue their impressive streak of good coaching hires.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Eltoasto posted:

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/873002364898291713

Well this would be bittersweet as I also root for Butler, but hopefully they can continue their impressive streak of good coaching hires.

loving OSU better cut it out and hire Mark Jackson.

Edit: god dammit. Apparently he's in talks with them. This is loving bullshit.

pubic works project fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 9, 2017

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I'd still really like to know what the mass exodus at OSU was about.

I get the feeling a lot of guys really hated Lyle.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Holtmann has agreed to an 8 year deal for $3.1 per with OSU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

sportsgenius86 posted:

Holtmann has agreed to an 8 year deal for $3.1 per with OSU

How did they manage to pay him below minimum wage :jebstare: Meanwhile, Butler :argh:s over their coaches continuing to be poached from them.

(Yeah yeah, I know, that's million per year)

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Ohio State just made the list.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

pubic works project posted:

Ohio State just made the list.

Maybe Brandon Miller has beaten the mystery disease? :smith: Sorry man I hope Butler can rebound, Collier has been amazing at picking coaches thus far.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Cue a bunch of Indiana fans complaining we didn't get Holtmann even though Archie is perfectly fine

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

iospace posted:

How did they manage to pay him below minimum wage :jebstare: Meanwhile, Butler :argh:s over their coaches continuing to be poached from them.

(Yeah yeah, I know, that's million per year)

They can get Lickliter back now

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Eltoasto posted:

Maybe Brandon Miller has beaten the mystery disease? :smith: Sorry man I hope Butler can rebound, Collier has been amazing at picking coaches thus far.

It's fine. If this is the worst thing that happens in my life this year, then I guess I'm having a good life.

It just makes me mad because it seems like something always happens to my favorite sports teams: Colts, Butler, Braves, Pacers. Nothing can ever go smoothly.

I'm more mad at Holtmann than OSU. I'm sure everyone will disagree with me, but I don't consider OSU a better job than Butler. I know he can make more money there and they have more name-brand recognition. Plus there's all that football money, but drat...I just don't know why someone would choose OSU over Butler after the past 5 years or so. And it's infuriating that the program has to start over again so quickly after Stevens leaving. I'm confident that Stevens was on his way to building a great program and I felt that Holtmann was doing the same.

At this point, I want someone with Butler ties: LaVall Jordan or Micah Shrewsberry. Someone who will not up and leave the program unless the NBA came a-calling.

MourningView posted:

They can get Lickliter back now

I hate you.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
No one is more devoted to The Butler Way and you definitely would not have to worry about a major conference team poaching him!

e: his team finished 7th in their NAIA conference last year lmao

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 9, 2017

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Hello Towel posted:

Cue a bunch of Indiana fans complaining we didn't get Holtmann even though Archie is perfectly fine
I think OSU and Indiana could trade coaches and both fan bases might be pleased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Fast Luck posted:

I think OSU and Indiana could trade coaches and both fan bases might be pleased.

I would prefer to keep Archie, thanks.

• Locked thread