Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

A Spider Covets posted:

Do it and report back, all I did was drop an F bomb (!!!!) in shout if my hunch is right lol.

why would you think this was a good idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
Is there a decent resource as to what gear I should be wearing as a scholar limited to the proto-ultima/diabolic/shire gear?

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

why would you think this was a good idea?

I didn't, it was late, I was tired, and I was just goofing around. poo poo happens sometimes, people do dumb things.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Evil Fluffy posted:

You made a bad argument out of ignorance. Just acknowledge it and move on.

Well since you say that now I just can't.

I'm just making sure that people aren't shamed out of buying jump potions because this thread has a bad history of doing that. If you aren't one of those people, cool, but go look at the post I originally commented on and you can pretty easily see why I'd get the impression you had a lovely opinion about them. Especially the bit where you told people to go play a different game if they didn't want to level or do story.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

I don't think anyone sane* is going to shame people out of buying a potion if they want it. Maybe tease each other over our inability to not spend $20 or something, haha. Fools and their money. :)

There's a valid argument against it, though. I think as a first-time player, catching up at level 60 would be even harder than just grinding through by sheer virtue of the fact that people are going to have expectations of performance at level 60+ that are different than if you leveled up once normally. So you're probably going to get a lot more poo poo than you would otherwise, and if you're not with a full goon group, it won't be filtered (people tend to be nice to their guildmates), which I think could turn a player off as well. "This game's community is garbage!"

A better solution, if you're new and you really want the potion, would probably be to just use the Duty Finder and go through the dungeons in order as whatever class you want to play. That way, you're getting experience with your class in a way that's more digestible; instead of all of the skills overwhelming you at once, you're dealing with small sets as you progress more and more. The mentor quests are actually really helpful for that, too, I wound up using them when I was refreshing on Paladin a little bit ago.

It'd be great if they'd implement a system like that for first-timers, maybe a quest that gets you on the right path. It sounds like the Novice Network is pretty garbage.

*yea yea, I know, goons

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i would have paid 100 dollars for a jump potion the day i started playing and I wouldn't have regretted a second of it. ffxiv' story is fine (if not good) by mmo standards, but that doesn't make the story good in a vacuum. in the absence of choice, the story is decent enough to be slogged through when it gets bad but if you think the story in ffxiv is 'good' when compared to most games you're lying to yourself.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I intend to encourage my potion-buying friend to go through a selection of the levelling dungeons with me to help avoid exactly that problem

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Xeras posted:

Is there a decent resource as to what gear I should be wearing as a scholar limited to the proto-ultima/diabolic/shire gear?

Item level > crit > who cares is still mostly correct.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Trip report:

Still on trial with my Lancer. Did the MSQs mostly (a few FATEs, but not much) up to level 15, and then did the dungeon. Everyone in there was super nice, the dungeon was cool, and had a blast. Am I misunderstanding the "rotation" at this level? I basically just did the move that made me hit harder for 15% then spammed the other move that has more potency on 2 casts than the stupid combo they start with. Used the stun since it's off GCD apparently, and tabbed around and used the slow move on everything.

Then I went to the Gladiator's guild and tried a level or two of pressing Swing Sword, but I think I will ultimately go for Marauder as that's the way to Dragoon.

... Yeah, I had a blast tonight. It was super fun. Also, I'm enjoying the story for what it is. Reading all the quest text, being delighted to see my character in cutscenes, and watching the cutaways of awesomely hammy villains.

I like it! My only complaints are that the map can be very obtuse (this is me used to WoW talking), and I'm not really sure if I should be trying to buy better gear or just using quest stuff. I saw a "brand new ring" mentioned elsewhere, but I guess I'd need a tank and a healer level 15 and do the trial stuff with them?

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Magil Zeal posted:

I was recently reading the archived thread and the reactions from people to the early dungeons/P3-4 beta and I think new players should have a chance to react like that too. Suffice it to say the early dungeons weren't exactly being described as "different colored caves". Folks seemed to be enjoying themselves quite a bit!

I mean if they want to skip it all that's fine, but they could at least give it a little chance first maybe?

My brother got into the game a few months ago and it was fun watching his reactions to the low level dungeons and quests, even though he plays a lot of MMOs. I don't really like the pre-Brayflox dungeons anymore but I think that's because they get old when you have to go back from level 60 to having no skills with randoms in the roulette. It was also fun to watch someone else play through the early game again since I couldn't remember anything that happened in the story and I'm probably never going to make a new character to just to replay the story quests.

Firstborn posted:

Trip report:

Still on trial with my Lancer. Did the MSQs mostly (a few FATEs, but not much) up to level 15, and then did the dungeon. Everyone in there was super nice, the dungeon was cool, and had a blast. Am I misunderstanding the "rotation" at this level? I basically just did the move that made me hit harder for 15% then spammed the other move that has more potency on 2 casts than the stupid combo they start with. Used the stun since it's off GCD apparently, and tabbed around and used the slow move on everything.

Not sure about Lancers specifically, but the DPS rotations all start off extremely simple since the early game is sort of designed for people who have never touched an MMO before. Generally the complexity ramps up much faster as you pass level 30

Fortuitous Bumble fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jun 8, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Firstborn posted:

Trip report:

Then I went to the Gladiator's guild and tried a level or two of pressing Swing Sword, but I think I will ultimately go for Marauder as that's the way to Dragoon.

... Yeah, I had a blast tonight. It was super fun. Also, I'm enjoying the story for what it is. Reading all the quest text, being delighted to see my character in cutscenes, and watching the cutaways of awesomely hammy villains.

I like it! My only complaints are that the map can be very obtuse (this is me used to WoW talking), and I'm not really sure if I should be trying to buy better gear or just using quest stuff. I saw a "brand new ring" mentioned elsewhere, but I guess I'd need a tank and a healer level 15 and do the trial stuff with them?

Impulse drive hell is real. It lasts until I think level 28, when you get the third hit of your true thrust->vorpal thrust combo

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

Xeras posted:

Avoid the piety is my motto.

But really, I wouldn't sweat min/maxing too much. Crit is probably the favourite stat. If you read around, there were people pushing spell speed for sch around 3.4-3.5 for the dot damage, but I think that won't be the case going into 4.0 anyway. If you are limited on the number of pieces you can buy and have some diablos to trade out, I liked the diablos healing hat, and it also looks cool.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Firstborn posted:

I like it! My only complaints are that the map can be very obtuse (this is me used to WoW talking)

Good news is that when the expansion releases next weekend, the map is getting an overhaul that makes everything much clearer.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

Impulse drive hell is real. It lasts until I think level 28, when you get the third hit of your true thrust->vorpal thrust combo

26. Yeah, it's a really loving weird design decision on Square's part. Honestly I wouldn't blame you if you just did the 'partial' combo you have sometimes just to spice things up.

Also Feint (the slow move) is useless outside of PvP, don't bother with it.

You can get the Brand New Ring just by doing the hall of the novice as any class. It's really good and will last you to level 30 easy. In terms of gearing, don't worry about it too much until you hit the mid-20s or so.

vOv fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jun 8, 2017

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.
Feint as we know it is also going away entirely in like a week, so might as well get rid of it early!

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Firstborn posted:

Trip report:

You really don't need to worry about crowd control abilities in PvE in this game, just dps everything down instead.

(I used to also worry about crowd control, I spent my first time in Sashtasha putting everything but what the tank was attacking to sleep with my THM :v:)

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Firstborn posted:

Trip report:

Like Cheetah said, you're currently in kind of a boring stretch. Heavy Thrust and then spam Impulse Drive is about all you've really got right now, and this will be true until level 26 when you get Full Thrust, the third part of your combo. Then it's "Heavy Thrust, combo, repeat." Which is at least moderately more interesting. Obviously, it opens up even more later, but the table is being flipped with Stormblood, and my own Dragoon is only 32, so even if I felt qualified to give advice, I don't know how much of it will still be relevant next week.

A thing to note about stuns is that they have diminishing returns, so each time you use a stun it gets less and less effective until it doesn't work at all. Plus there's enemies that do poo poo you really want to slap them out of, such as the cheetah thing at the corals in Pirate Dungeon. You don't have to actually worry about that poo poo right now, and probably not even for a while yet, but it's a thing you'll eventually need to think about. But again: things are changing, such as "your Stun is now a thing you cross-class in rather than something you just have and also it won't do damage anymore."

quote:

For gear, the stuff you're given as part of quests is just the stuff you can buy at stores anyway. You can go buy stuff from NPC vendors if you really want, but it's generally not required, unless you switch classes a lot.

The "brand new ring" is something you get from doing the tutorial. Go to any inn and talk to The Smith, he'll offer it to you. There's also some Hall of Novices that the plot should have pointed you to before Pirate Dungeon, the guy for the quests is there too. It's just a series of tutorials, and you get a piece of Brand New gear after each step. There's Tank tutorials, DPS tutorials, and Healer tutorials, but keep in mind that there's three kinds of Brand New gear. One for tanks, one for casters, and one for everyone else. You'll want the "everyone else" set, but just do the tutorials as a Lancer and it will be given to you, along with the ring, which gives +3 to all stats (pretty nice) and +30% experience for any combat class under 30 (holy poo poo fantastic).

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Every single time I thought "Wow, my ______ is a little behind, I should buy a replacement" I ended up getting one from a quest. If you do the MSQ and your job quests, you won't need to put in effort for gear until around 50. They're really generous.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

A Spider Covets posted:

it'd totally overwhelm me if I was a new player.

Why? If you're a new player, all the content is new to you, and there's very little content that's downright annoying (the pre titan slog, but that's like what, 15-20 short quests? other mmos have far worse fillers). Just work your way through the MSQ as you would in 2.x. Maybe visit potd some. Even totorak is just fine first time through, and if I queue low level with my newbie friend, I make sure to queue with goons and we clear dungeons in under 15 minutes by pulling big and blowing poo poo up and it owns and is fun.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

A Spider Covets posted:

I didn't, it was late, I was tired, and I was just goofing around. poo poo happens sometimes, people do dumb things.

Square started going ham with the ban hammer recently, it only takes 2 people reporting you for offensive language to get you a 24 hour ban. (it might not even take that many)

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Unconvinced that AF3 MCH goggles will be as good as AF2.

Am somewhat glad that MCH guns are picking up foregrips, it makes them start to look a little less goofy.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm sure this has already been pointed out by others, but I just noticed it and felt clever. The RDM Icon is a merger of these Ancient Black and White Magic emblems.

It's an inverted WHM staff where the head is the BLM comet, even.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Firstborn posted:

Trip report:

You're doing fine, like I said the low levels are just boring and there's not much to do. Just spam your 2-3 moves over and over. Practice makes perfect lol, but like I said you don't really get to see how the class plays until 30-40 when you have the job abilities and stuff. On the one hand its not as overwhelming for new players, but on the other hand its very repetitive and there's not much of a skill ceiling to even try to practice for.

And quest gear should be plenty good until you hit endgame. Just pick up whatever the game gives you. If you're having trouble then maybe go look at an NPC vendor to see if they have some gear, especially if you happen to get some slot that's really low level compared to your level. But especially if you run dungeons here and there, you'll get some extra loot on top of quest gear from dungeons.

vOv posted:

You can get the Brand New Ring just by doing the hall of the novice as any class. It's really good and will last you to level 30 easy. In terms of gearing, don't worry about it too much until you hit the mid-20s or so.

And like I was sayin before, do this. +30% EXP until level 30. Its huge. Do this do this.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jun 8, 2017

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
MCH AF is tempting me to glamour out of dragon dude. But I want to be a dragon dude for top tier SAM tryhard cool anime glamour!!!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Update on Noclip FFXIV: To air after E3, but before Stormblood, three parts in three sequential days some time between the 15th and the 19th.

jyrque posted:

MCH AF is tempting me to glamour out of dragon dude. But I want to be a dragon dude for top tier SAM tryhard cool anime glamour!!!

You can be a MCH and a coatrack at the same time!

Mystic Cave zOWNd
Dec 22, 2006

Trixie bravely turned her tail and fled

And there was much rejoicing.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Am somewhat glad that MCH guns are picking up foregrips, it makes them start to look a little less goofy.

I look forward to casting Flamethrower with the Garo gun.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

dogsicle posted:

I'm now immensely disappointed that I haven't seen a single ascii dick since joining dgkk.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Well since you say that now I just can't.

I'm just making sure that people aren't shamed out of buying jump potions because this thread has a bad history of doing that. If you aren't one of those people, cool, but go look at the post I originally commented on and you can pretty easily see why I'd get the impression you had a lovely opinion about them. Especially the bit where you told people to go play a different game if they didn't want to level or do story.

I'm glad you're here to keep others from shaming people out of paying money to skip content that they've already paid for. What a valiant effort!

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Regarding the story of FFXIV, I rushed through it and skipped nearly all of the cutscenes in the last days of ARR / pre-Heavensward months trying to get to 50 and get familiar with the mechanics and style of the game so I would be a better player for HW. This developed into a bad habit and I ended up skipping most of the cutscenes through HW as well. As I came to learn about the actually rich lore and story of the game through FC chat, the small bits I picked up in areas I didn't or could skip, etc.. I felt like I had kind of cheated myself in a way. I have since gone back and watched many of the cutscenes I skipped, and read a lot of info about the story and lore of the game, but found that slowing down and taking the story cutscenes in as I play (in the 3.x patches at least), as they were presumably designed to be watched, provides a better experience.

I guess what I'm saying is that I didn't expect the story to be good, and it turned out being a rich part of the game's fabric that I often find enriches my playing experience, especially given my long history with FF games and the fact that I really enjoy learning game lore. If you enjoy game lore, JRPG stories, or have a history with FF and are okay with some tropes and inconsistent writing early on, I would recommend you at least give the story a chance before skipping it like I did or using a skip potion.

This isn't a comment/judgement on skip potions - though I wouldn't use one, I do think they're probably good for the game as a whole, and they're great for people that don't give a gently caress about the story and just want to push buttons with friends. I just think giving the story a chance up to a certain point before deciding to skip might prevent others from experiencing the sort of twinge of regret I found myself in when I discovered the story and lore was much better than that I had found in prior MMOs.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
To be fair, 3.0 and later MSQ is a couple levels above the 2.x story. 2.x is stretched super thin and then filled with some really bad anime filler that should by all accounts be in optional sidequests.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i started at level 1 and enjoyed the story all the way up to level 60 and was pretty much playing solo

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
I would have 100% paid for a MSQ skip. It was just too drawn out/too many fetch quests.

Xeras fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 8, 2017

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
I can't disagree with that generally. Imo, 2.0 isn't bad, story wise, though it is inconsistent and drags at times - I regret skipping through it greatly because it does provide a lot of backstory and introduces the folks who become major players as the game goes on.

2.x is probably the only part I would say is bad, but even it has its moments. The issue there, is as so many people have already said, is that it is way longer than it needs to be and was generally developed as filler for the 2 years between AAR and HW, with little thought given to what would happen to those quests when HW launched. Making a lot of this optional sidequests (or just ripping the guts out of some of the interim fetching stuff I seem to remember) would be ideal. Hildibrand would be the one major exception to this in the 2.x time period, but it's already a sidequest, so.

3.0 story was grand, and I absolutely regret skipping my way through it. 3.x continued that level of quality, imo. Even the 3.x sidequest lines (Scholasticate / Hildi) were great.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Gizmo Chicken posted:

Feint as we know it is also going away entirely in like a week, so might as well get rid of it early!

I'm still impressed that they're changing Feint from one of the worst skills in the game (unless you're a Bard) into probably one of the best.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
For me sitting at max level while waiting for new content rapidly becomes the least interesting part of the game, so paying to reach that point even faster would be a complete lose-lose deal.

The ARR main quest certainly drags on at a few spots, but I can't imagine how disconnected you'd end up feeling from all the characters and past events if you jumped into the story at one of the expansions. You'd have no clue who any of the people are and what the hell they're referring to half the time.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'm still working my way to 60 with my first job and when I reach that I plan to use a potion to get another up there just for the sake of some variety. The MSQ leading up to 50 were fine, the post 50 quests have been an absolute grind. Haven't got to heavenward stuff yet tho.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

he MSQ leading up to 50 were fine, the post 50 quests have been an absolute grind.

I thought 40-50 was kind of rough. You have this real feeling of everything building up, and then just as something happens "come back in a few levels" and you're kind of left without much direction. I remember a lot of Northern Thanalan fate grinding when I did that range, but I guess potd is an alternative now.

But yeah, not nearly as bad as the level 50 2.1->2.55 MSQ stuff.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The latter couple patches of the 2.X grind actually got pretty decent. Probably a bit slow still, but the story at least becomes more interesting and the pacing improves a bit.

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER
I've re-subbed and am playing through the game again from scratch with my Fiance.
She wants to go Astrologian at 50 and I was going to go Red Mage (The only thing that got me to look at this game again because Red Mages are rad [Blue Mages are better]) but I just read that the Heavensward Classes reset to 30, which would really suck. And it seems the Jump Potions skip you to 60, not 50?

Is there any good way to quickly grind through 30-50 if we need to on her new Job? I could probably get a class to 30 when she's not around and we could just re-level 30-50 again, but not having the MSQ leading you along through the 2nd time might make it mind-numbing. Any good way to speed up the process?

EDIT: I just seen Oxyclean's post, must've not reloaded the page. I thought POTD was a max level thing? And you got separate POTD levels in there?

Green Tea Erotica fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
i want yearbook style screenshots of all your characters to mark the end of heavensward please

• Locked thread