Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Meldonox posted:

Yeah, that. I'm desperately hoping I'll be able to take my squadron into dungeons as NPC groupmates so I don't have to worry about a bunch of loving nerds giving me a bad time and ruining my enjoyment of the game's story.

Cecily had better goddamn DPS though.

I hope at some point we'll be able to take in known NPCs into dungeons.

Like actually being able to run Sohm Al with Ysale, Einstein and Alphinaud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kuai posted:

I doubt Y'shtola will actually die as she seems to be the poster girl for FFXIV in its other games.

that's why she needs to die

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I don't know why I thought a second anima was gonna happen. The idea of getting Umbrite again depressed me.

ghostinmyshell posted:

DGKK is home to most of the FFXI players who wish XIV was more like XI.

I've literally never seen this in FC chat. What are you on about?

And for the new lad, please please do not Day 1 funnel a bunch of money into this game before you like it. You'll be pretty lost. Get ARR. Play the DRG I think you said looked cool. If you enjoy it, then slap on expansions. If you find you hate the story or find the game a slog or have nobody to run dungeons with, trust me. That isn't going to change if you're suddenly level 50.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Yep.Plus the game from level 1 to 40 is boring as gently caress. You have no abilities and all the dungeons are just different colored caves. It doesn't really start to get interesting until the ARR endgame. Heavensward is better and hopefully Stormblood is even better.

If I never see Tam Tara or Copperbell again it'll be too loving soon.

I was recently reading the archived thread and the reactions from people to the early dungeons/P3-4 beta and I think new players should have a chance to react like that too. Suffice it to say the early dungeons weren't exactly being described as "different colored caves". Folks seemed to be enjoying themselves quite a bit!

I mean if they want to skip it all that's fine, but they could at least give it a little chance first maybe?

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 8, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Haha gently caress you people never stop do you

MMOs are games to play with friends, and your friends are all going to be leveling and doing samurai redmagey cool poo poo in ala mhigo and doma and you're stuck asking for tam tara runs with them. Play enough of the game to make sure you'll like it and the class you pick, then get the potions and go back and do this poo poo later if you want. When everything has calmed down and there's no more new stuff to do in SB the people you want to play with will be happy to do it.

And I know you fuckers are going to come in with "I'LL RUN THOUSAND MAWS EVEN ON SB LAUNCH DAY" no you loving won't, and you know it.

Except the only other person they mention playing with would also be new to the game and one of the reasons they didn't stick with it before was because they felt bombarded with things, a jump potion would only magnify that.

You are defending a bad opinion and if a new person enjoys the game they should not skip ahead to the latest story just because an expansion is going to come out soon. Firstborn would be wise to ignore you and anyone else who suggests they burn a jump potion when storm blood hits.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Did they ever release a Heavensward OST?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Magil Zeal posted:

I was recently reading the archived thread and the reactions from people to the early dungeons/P3-4 beta and I think new players should have a chance to react like that too. Suffice it to say the early dungeons weren't exactly being described as "different colored caves". Folks seemed to be enjoying themselves quite a bit!

I mean if they want to skip it all that's fine, but they could at least give it a little chance first maybe?

Right, which is why in the post that I made, I said you should test the game out before you commit to anything. And then a couple goons overreacted.

You join a conversation halfway through and you miss the context dude :doh: I suggested playing different classes each for several levels to make sure you know which role you prefer in the game.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Did they ever release a Heavensward OST?

The Far Edge of Fate Soundtrack was just released today I believe, for all the 3.x content.

Heavensward OST itself was out quite a while ago.

Zaphod42 posted:

Right, which is why in the post that I made, I said you should test the game out before you commit to anything. And then a couple goons overreacted.

Fair enough.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
You can play up to 35 without paying a penny. At that point you can drop 20 dollars on ARR and get a free month with it, play until 50 and then maybe sometime between the end of 2.0 and 2.55 buy Heavensward.

Don't drop a hundred dollars up front on a game you're not completely sure you'll like unless you hate money and have to play only cutting edge raiding content to survive. Not when there's so much you can do on the cheap that's, frankly, far more representative of the game you'd be paying for.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
If you are a newbie playing with other newbie friends, don't loving get a jump potion, you goddamn morons.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Magil Zeal posted:

The Far Edge of Fate Soundtrack was just released today I believe, for all the 3.x content.

Heavensward OST itself was out quite a while ago.

Well my timing is certainly good then. Did they ever release an OST with music from the latter part of ARR? I vaguely remember the ARR OST missing stuff.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Well my timing is certainly good then. Did they ever release an OST with music from the latter part of ARR? I vaguely remember the ARR OST missing stuff.

Yes, it was also named after the last patch (Before the Fall).

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
If you have friends that you want to play with then jumping isn't the worst idea. If you are playing by yourself though you will get the same amount of socialization if you start from scratch or hop directly to stormblood in that you will be running dungeon finder with randoms and possibly chilling in goon FC chat.

The story is hot garbage until you hit level 50 and the classes are really dull mechanically until at least level 30.

It's hard to say if you will like the game until you get into the later ARR stuff because it gets a lot better. I'd hate to see someone bail due to poor early impressions when the classes are boring and the story is boring.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Haha gently caress you people never stop do you

MMOs are games to play with friends, and your friends are all going to be leveling and doing samurai redmagey cool poo poo in ala mhigo and doma and you're stuck asking for tam tara runs with them. Play enough of the game to make sure you'll like it and the class you pick, then get the potions and go back and do this poo poo later if you want. When everything has calmed down and there's no more new stuff to do in SB the people you want to play with will be happy to do it.

And I know you fuckers are going to come in with "I'LL RUN THOUSAND MAWS EVEN ON SB LAUNCH DAY" no you loving won't, and you know it.

I mean if I had a friend join and they couldn't or didn't want to use a jump potion, yes I'd run their lowbie dungeons with them. That's just as much a worthwhile social experience as if we were all in SB together. Plus MSQ dungeons are spaced out, so your friend is only going to need help for 15-20 minutes every so often. I definitely see the benefits of jump potions, but they're not the way everyone wants to or necessarily should play the game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I have a friend with more money than sense who is planning on buying a jump potion so we can play together on the new content without having to wade through 100+ hours of story. He's a WoW veteran so he'll be less overwhelmed than an MMO newbie at least.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Except the only other person they mention playing with would also be new to the game and one of the reasons they didn't stick with it before was because they felt bombarded with things, a jump potion would only magnify that.

You are defending a bad opinion and if a new person enjoys the game they should not skip ahead to the latest story just because an expansion is going to come out soon. Firstborn would be wise to ignore you and anyone else who suggests they burn a jump potion when storm blood hits.

The best way to make someone not enjoy this game is to put them into the purgatory of catching up on story when no one else wants to do it. You'll fill dungeons because of leveling roulette, for sure, but your friends will not want to directly queue for your poo poo dungeons instead of the new ones. By the way, this is why player retention went up when the potions were added to the chinese and korean versions of the game. People want to play with friends. Period. Whatever nonsense you want to argue about the importance of the story takes a backseat to that.

That being said, if none of your friends are at SB and you're all doing the story together, go ham and don't get potions because why would you bother? There is such a thing as nuance. You just think jump potions are blanket a bad idea, and that's the only bad opinion around here.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Magil Zeal posted:

Yes, it was also named after the last patch (Before the Fall).

A gentleman and a scholar. :tipshat:

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Hey would anyone mind doing me a solid and checking on my house while this suspension thing is going on? PM me if you can go look. I just want to know if it's still there. I'm on Excal.

I use a VPN sometimes at work so I'm guessing I probably left it on at some point while I was logging in and Square Enix is doing their usual paranoid thing, but just in case lol.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

A gentleman and a scholar. :tipshat:

Incidentally I'm surprised this isn't a more popular glamor for SCHs

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

your friends will not want to directly queue for your poo poo dungeons instead of the new ones.

You and your "friends" sound like lovely people.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Veterans with newbie friends want to play with their friends and play in the new dungeons at the same time, and jump potions allow that

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

A Spider Covets posted:

Hey would anyone mind doing me a solid and checking on my house while this suspension thing is going on? PM me if you can go look. I just want to know if it's still there. I'm on Excal.

I use a VPN sometimes at work so I'm guessing I probably left it on at some point while I was logging in and Square Enix is doing their usual paranoid thing, but just in case lol.

Be honest - have you bought any gil or otherwise done some RMT? Do you use two factor auth?

They don't give a gently caress about VPNs afaik. Suspensions are typically only handed down for RMT, botting, or pos hacking or poo poo like that.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah I know about a dozen people that have been using various VPNs for years. That's not gonna amount to anything.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Be honest - have you bought any gil or otherwise done some RMT? Do you use two factor auth?

No, Square Enix is way too loving paranoid to risk it. I don't use two-factor auth though. The closest thing is I did buy my house from another player before they started cracking down on it.

I guess if you see my char screaming about mm MMO GOLD x com or whatever, that's what happened. In the meantime the only thing I can do is wait, so it's off to Rimworld for me.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

A Spider Covets posted:

No, Square Enix is way too loving paranoid to risk it. I don't use two-factor auth though. The closest thing is I did buy my house from another player before they started cracking down on it.

I guess if you see my char screaming about mm MMO GOLD x com or whatever, that's what happened. In the meantime the only thing I can do is wait, so it's off to Rimworld for me.

Your account was probably compromised, then. You should use two factor auth. The cell phone app is super easy. Make sure you put the emergency removal code in a text file somewhere. It's super easy, and you get a permanent free aetheryte out of it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Edit: No it didn't eat my post just wasn't displaying it. Either way, turn on two factor auth.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

It looks like it ate a reply, but your account may have been compromised. I highly recommend using two factor auth. The cell phone/tablet app works great and you get a free aetheryte out of it. Just make sure you put your emergency removal code in a text file somewhere and you're set.

Otherwise you run the risk of getting jacked.

Yeah, that's going to be the first thing I do once I hear back from them. :blush:

Reading up on what people are saying online about suspensions, it sounds like I'm dealing with a 24 - 72 hour situation, which is annoying but whatever.

e: I think I know what it was. I shouted some naughty words yesterday, and I'm reading that Square sometimes hands out 24 hour bans if you get reported. Whoops!

A Spider Covets fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 8, 2017

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I had a friend who quit during stretch of 50 quests inbetween prae and heavensward. He came back recently and I went out of my way to help him out with it. We even broke it up with some coil runs, all the good stuff. he burned out on it again without ever making it to heavensward. This is the guy btw that got me into xiv the first time around back in 1.0 so we're kinda used to tedium.

mmo questing sucks always. it's the worst part of any mmo, no matter how you try an dress it up with story that someone may or may not care about (he didn't). He loved doing dungeons, trials and coil though, and if we could have just done that and skip the quests he probably would have been fine, but they're not out yet so here we are. (I will almost definitely pay for him to skip however far he wants to when it becomes available)

Anyway, a brand new player should definitely at least try the game from the start to see if you like it before dumping money on skips, but if you like it and like what you see at the end, hell go wild. Depending on the person, the jump potions may really be the best option. It's not like you can't make an alt an experience the story at a leisurely pace if you're interested in it. Then it's not "mandatory" to catch up to everyone else, it's something you can do on the side while still having the option to play with your friends doing the new stuff.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

A Spider Covets posted:

Yeah, that's going to be the first thing I do once I hear back from them. :blush:

Reading up on what people are saying online about suspensions, it sounds like I'm dealing with a 24 - 72 hour situation, which is annoying but whatever.

pretty sure if you can log onto your account page you can set up the two factor auth.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Listen to people telling you that the story is garbage until 50 and classes until 30 and then remember that literally 100% of people with that opinion did all that stuff anyway. And a fair percentage did it before Heaven was even Sward. It's really just flat not as bad as it might sound. If it was, nobody would be here.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

SonicRulez posted:

Listen to people telling you that the story is garbage until 50 and classes until 30 and then remember that literally 100% of people with that opinion did all that stuff anyway. And a fair percentage did it before Heaven was even Sward. It's really just flat not as bad as it might sound. If it was, nobody would be here.

It is the merely ok part of an otherwise great game

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Man I don't even know how I'd advise newbies to the game at this point. Like this is one of my all-time favorite games, but thinking on everything there is to do, how much content is gated etc., it'd totally overwhelm me if I was a new player. With the way the game is built, though, I also have no idea how they'd be able to change it to be more accessible.

The potions are kind of a good idea - it shows they're thinking about it - except for the obvious fact that if you use them, you'll still have no idea what the hell is going on in terms of story/class.

e: It doesn't help that they still retire some content; like, it's small things in the grand scheme of the game, but I always thought retiring mounts, pets, and glamour pieces was a lovely idea, and I'm the kind of person who obsessively goes after that stuff.

A Spider Covets fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 8, 2017

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I'm leveling up my 7th job and doing the super-low-level dungeons like Tamtam and Copperbell is definitely starting to wear thin.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

vOv posted:

I'm leveling up my 7th job and doing the super-low-level dungeons like Tamtam and Copperbell is definitely starting to wear thin.

switch over to potd and find a good podcast to binge

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The best way to make someone not enjoy this game is to put them into the purgatory of catching up on story when no one else wants to do it. You'll fill dungeons because of leveling roulette, for sure, but your friends will not want to directly queue for your poo poo dungeons instead of the new ones. By the way, this is why player retention went up when the potions were added to the chinese and korean versions of the game. People want to play with friends. Period. Whatever nonsense you want to argue about the importance of the story takes a backseat to that.

That being said, if none of your friends are at SB and you're all doing the story together, go ham and don't get potions because why would you bother? There is such a thing as nuance. You just think jump potions are blanket a bad idea, and that's the only bad opinion around here.

I have repeatedly defended jump potions from people who think they are bad for games, but ok sure I hate them now?

I shot down your post because telling a new player to use one just to skip ahead, especially when they said they didn't stick with the o being overwhelmed in the past, and has nothing to do with catching up to friends and the improved retention that tends to result in.

You made a bad argument out of ignorance. Just acknowledge it and move on.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

novice network on excalibur is literally people talking about porn all day long. is this a reportable offense? can these people get suspended for talking about dragon dicks?

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Tsurupettan posted:

novice network on excalibur is literally people talking about porn all day long. is this a reportable offense? can these people get suspended for talking about dragon dicks?

Do it and report back, all I did was drop an F bomb (!!!!) in shout if my hunch is right lol.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Tsurupettan posted:

For the most part it's self policing. You can kick anyone at anytime from the network, and those kicks are supposedly investigated (they're not).

Mostly I've found if you kick someone for any legitimate reason, one of their friends are just going to kick you. You'll just have to stick with the normal report method.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm pretty disappointed that it looks like we'll be fighting Lakshmi, rather than defending her against Garlean troops like people were speculating.

It's probably a Ramuh scenario, as others have mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

I am mega stoked for Lakshmi gear, she looks gorgeous.

• Locked thread