Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Tom Cruise was in War of the Worlds and Minority Report, so shouldn't he be 4 for 4?

Unless you're just sneak dissing on Spielberg.

Your body completely replaces all its cells in seven years, making you a new person, so those don't count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ruddiger posted:

Tom Cruise was in War of the Worlds and Minority Report, so shouldn't he be 4 for 4?

Unless you're just sneak dissing on Spielberg.

War of the Worlds was good?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

syscall girl posted:

War of the Worlds was good

:agreed:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Not saying it wasn't it just didn't make an impression. All those others were pretty good though. Live.Die.Repeat esp.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

More Mary Poppins images:

These are the grown up kids from the first movie with their own kids. I thought that meant they had kids together like some sort of weird pervert thing but they have spouses and just raise their brood communal or something:

More here - https://imgur.com/a/mQU2B
No blue guy, though.

Also Okja had drawn the ire of the top 3 cinema chains in Korea, all of which refuse to screen it.

http://variety.com/2017/film/asia/korea-cinemas-deny-screens-to-netflix-okja-bong-joon-ho-1202456655/

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

I will see it no matter how badly it's reviewed.

Sure is nice to talk about something that isn't who is or is not Mexican.

The movie would've made billions if they had cast Tom Cruise as El Santo and billed it as a remake of El Santo Contra Las Momias de Guanajuato.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTUjYBC9vrU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Needs more elements of her Live, Die, Repeat character.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rirse posted:

The Dick van Dyke analogue can call the precocious children MAGGOTS

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Rirse posted:

Cut the sleeves off all of her sweaters and coats

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rirse posted:

That's a frightening concept. Mary Poppins is a nigh-omniscient being with undefined supernatural powers (including creating and traveling to new universe/dimensions) who is also probably immortal or at least ageless. She's scary enough as she is.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That's a frightening concept. Mary Poppins is a nigh-omniscient being with undefined supernatural powers (including creating and traveling to new universe/dimensions) who is also probably immortal or at least ageless. She's scary enough as she is.

If you break your leg and she starts in with "A Spoon Full of Sugar" be afraid

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Rirse posted:

*Shoots Lin-Manuel Miranda in the face

"Emily what the gently caress!?!"

"It's a reflex, I'm so sorry!!"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mary my love take your time

Climb chimneys to sweep em

Umbrella takes me to the sky!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Supposed Mummy spoilers

quote:

Tom Cruise and Jake Johnson are soldiers who find the Mummy's tomb. A hot blonde scientist shows up to retrieve the tomb, but their plane gets caught by a swarm of birds. Cruise saves the blonde and miraculously survives the crash.

As it turns out, the tomb holds an egyptian princess who swore revenge against her father after being denied the throne. She made a pact with the god of death, Set, to get supernatural powers in exchange for finding a vessel for Set, but got foiled and mummified. Now she has chosen Cruise to be the vessel.

Cruise is cursed and can't die. He meets the blonde's boss, Dr. Jekyll, who runs a secret organization that captures, studies and destroys monsters. The Mummy manages to escape and begins playing mind games with Tom. As it turns out, she needs to retrieve her mystical dagger in order to complete the ritual and turn Cruise into Set. Cruise and the blonde fall in love as they search for the dagger. Johnson dies.

Cruise and the Mummy are both recaptured by Jekyll after Cruise gets the dagger. Jekyll plans to kill them both. Cruise steals a serum that Jekyll needs to take, causing Mr. Hyde to emerge and kick his rear end. The Mummy escapes again and chases Cruise and the blonde to an underground temple, where the blonde dies. Cruise fights the Mummy but gets his rear end kicked. With no other option he stabs himself with the mystic dagger and becomes the vessel for Set.

Cruise kills the Mummy by draining her lifeforce and revives the blonde, but tells her they can't be together because he's now the egyptian death god, but he will return once he finds a cure for his condition. The blonde later tells Jekyll that Cruise may now have the power of a monster, but he still has the heart of a man and will find a way to fight the darkness within and "others like him". Jekyll remains determined to catch him.

Movie ends with Cruise reviving Johnson. They reaffirm their bromance and ride off into the sunset ready to fight monsters.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I especially liked the part where Cruise got his sidekick and girlfriend to sign billion year contracts to join the SeaOrg.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Gonz posted:

I especially liked the part where Cruise got his sidekick and girlfriend to sign billion year contracts to join the SeaOrg.

Hahahahahaha. You joke but Jake Johnson is said to be insufferable pro-Scientology on the New Girl set.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

Hahahahahaha. You joke but Jake Johnson is said to be insufferable pro-Scientology on the New Girl set.

Oh poo poo! I had no idea. :stonk:

drat you, Hollywood and your frightening alien cult!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It's been a full 17 years since the last Scientology blockbuster, I say we're overdue for another.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's been a full 17 years since the last Scientology blockbuster, I say we're overdue for another.
Battlefield Earth bombed back when most people didn't know exactly what Scientology was. I don't think they're going to try that again, even out of pure hubris.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I saw Battlefield Earth under the influence of prescription painkillers due to a knee injury at the time, and it's still, to this very day, one of the greatest comedies i've ever seen in a movie theater.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

So is Tom Cruise playing Van Helsing or not?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Supposed Mummy spoilers
Tom Cruise and Jake Johnson are soldiers who find the Mummy's tomb. A hot blonde scientist shows up to retrieve the tomb, but their plane gets caught by a swarm of birds. Cruise saves the blonde and miraculously survives the crash.

As it turns out, the tomb holds an egyptian princess who swore revenge against her father after being denied the throne. She made a pact with the god of death, Set, to get supernatural powers in exchange for finding a vessel for Set, but got foiled and mummified. Now she has chosen Cruise to be the vessel.

Cruise is cursed and can't die. He meets the blonde's boss, Dr. Jekyll, who runs a secret organization that captures, studies and destroys monsters. The Mummy manages to escape and begins playing mind games with Tom. As it turns out, she needs to retrieve her mystical dagger in order to complete the ritual and turn Cruise into Set. Cruise and the blonde fall in love as they search for the dagger. Johnson dies.

Cruise and the Mummy are both recaptured by Jekyll after Cruise gets the dagger. Jekyll plans to kill them both. Cruise steals a serum that Jekyll needs to take, causing Mr. Hyde to emerge and kick his rear end. The Mummy escapes again and chases Cruise and the blonde to an underground temple, where the blonde dies. Cruise fights the Mummy but gets his rear end kicked. With no other option he stabs himself with the mystic dagger and becomes the vessel for Set.

Cruise kills the Mummy by draining her lifeforce and revives the blonde, but tells her they can't be together because he's now the egyptian death god, but he will return once he finds a cure for his condition. The blonde later tells Jekyll that Cruise may now have the power of a monster, but he still has the heart of a man and will find a way to fight the darkness within and "others like him". Jekyll remains determined to catch him.

Movie ends with Cruise reviving Johnson. They reaffirm their bromance and ride off into the sunset ready to fight monsters.

I saw it tonight and that's mostly correct.

Jake Johnson is bitten by a camel spider in the tomb and dies on the plane when they're getting the sarcophagus out of Egypt. He turns into a zombie and starts stabbing people and is shot down by Cruise. The plane crashes but Cruise doesn't survive, he wakes up in a body bag in the morgue. He convinces Annabelle Wallis' character to accompany him to the crash site to see the mummy's corpse to see for himself that she's been destroyed but it turns out she's regained her vitality by sucking the life out of the police at the scene, turning them into zombies under her control and subtly influencing Cruise to make him come to her. It turns out that the dagger is hidden in a statue in a church near the crash scene, the mummy sensed it and deliberately made the plane crash nearby. The jewel from the dagger's handle is missing so the ritual can't be completed, Cruise and Wallis manage to escape but the mummy easily catches up to them and starts kicking Cruise's rear end until Jekyll's men arrive and capture her.
During all this Johnson keeps popping up as a deteriorating ghost to explain stuff to Cruise exactly like that guy in An American Werewolf in London except lovely and pointless.
Jekyll's men are working to re-embalm the mummy to render her powerless but they're also trying to find the mystical jewel. It turns out that Jekyll can't remove the curse from Cruise but he's planning on using the dagger to kill him and bring out Set anyway because he thinks he can kill Set and remove that evil forever. When his men discover the jewel in a Crusader tomb underneath London the mummy senses this and escapes, taking the dagger with her and raising an army of zombies in the tunnels underneath London.
The rest is all pretty much right except Russell Crowe does the voiceover at the end explaining that Cruise will be roaming the world trying to find a cure for his curse but will be attracted to evil, implying that he'll be tracking down and defeating monsters as he goes.

well why not posted:

So is Tom Cruise playing Van Helsing or not?

Pretty much. He's not called Van Helsing but he more or less takes up the role at the end of the film..

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
So is The Mummy fun and worth seeing opening weekend?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BexGu posted:

So is The Mummy fun and worth seeing opening weekend?

gently caress noooooo

Go rent the '99 Brendan Fraser film instead, even if you've seen it before. Especially if you've seen it before. :v:

The airplane crash is pretty much the best action sequence in the film and you've seen almost all of that in the trailers anyway. The supernatural stuff is nothing special, the plot is straightforward and dumb, Jekyll's quasi-BPRD organisation isn't nearly as good as the Hellboy sequences it rips off (and they don't bother fleshing out any secondary characters at all), Cruise's character tries to do the whole amoral Han Solo/Cptn Jack Sparrow charming rogue turn but just isn't charismatic enough to measure up, the romance arc isn't believable since the leads have no chemistry ....
It's a boring plot with miscast actors playing characters that aren't fleshed out trying to prevent something we're not interested in and making grand sacrifices that we don't care about.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They should just put out the version of the movie with no visual effects or sound effects of note like that leaked trailer.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

edit: wrong thread

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Dragon Rider is an animated movie based on books entering production, totally different books from the Dragonriders of Pern series so don't get them confused even though I did (they have a space between Dragon and Rider, thus completely unique!), the Pern books have been in development hell forever, most recently with WB.

quote:

Johnny Smith, one of the screenwriters on Disney's 2011 hit Gnomeo & Juliet, adapted Funke's novel for the screen, with award-winner German shorts animator Tomer Eshed directing in what will be his feature debut.

Funke's 1997 book, which has sold more than 3 million copies worldwide, follows the adventures of Firedrake, a silver dragon who teams up with a human boy and the Brownie Sorrel to search for a mythical land where Firedrake's family can live in peace, safe from the humans who want to flood the valley where the dragons live.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/constantin-begins-production-dragon-rider-1011418

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Awww.

quote:

Movie ends with Cruise reviving Johnson.

Yay!

PriorMarcus posted:

Jake Johnson is said to be insufferable pro-Scientology on the New Girl set.

Awww.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Supposed Mummy spoilers

"he will return once he finds a cure for his condition"

Hahaha, that's one way to put it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Tars Tarkas posted:

Dragon Rider is an animated movie based on books entering production, totally different books from the Dragonriders of Pern series so don't get them confused even though I did (they have a space between Dragon and Rider, thus completely unique!), the Pern books have been in development hell forever, most recently with WB.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/constantin-begins-production-dragon-rider-1011418

Excited to see if this will be better or worse than Eragon.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The RT on The Mummy is at 22%, a 1% drop from Dracula Untold.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

PriorMarcus posted:

i would like proof of this because i did a very superficial google of "Jake Johnson Scientology" and got nothing. He's from Chicago, so it's not like he grew up around LA.

I went through this a few months ago with Michael Pena, I'm not gonna be bummed about another actor I really like.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tars Tarkas posted:

Isnt this series by the lady who believes homosexuals are made by raping young boys with tent pegs? And that when your dragon fucks you feel it too?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Barudak posted:

Isnt this series by the lady who believes homosexuals are made by raping young boys with tent pegs? And that when your dragon fucks you feel it too?

Yeah, the dragon riders are mentally linked "impressed" with their dragons. When the dragons go on a mating flight, their riders head to the bedroom and do to.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Casimir Radon posted:

The RT on The Mummy is at 22%, a 1% drop from Dracula Untold.

Ah, well I guess it won't be a part of the Dark Universe "Canon" then. What a shame!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
For some reason I assumed this Dark Universe stuff would lead to The Mummy, Frankenstein, Creature from the Black Lagoon, etc. all teaming up to eradicate mankind, not Indiana Cruise and the BPRD fighting them one at a time. I like my version better.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

because he's now the egyptian death god, but he will return once he finds a cure for his condition.

Amazing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Big Mean Jerk posted:

For some reason I assumed this Dark Universe stuff would lead to The Mummy, Frankenstein, Creature from the Black Lagoon, etc. all teaming up to eradicate mankind, not Indiana Cruise and the BPRD fighting them one at a time. I like my version better.

It's probably because Universal failed at the concept

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

They did a better job of a shared universe in the 40s without even trying lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Tars Tarkas posted:

Also Okja had drawn the ire of the top 3 cinema chains in Korea, all of which refuse to screen it.

http://variety.com/2017/film/asia/korea-cinemas-deny-screens-to-netflix-okja-bong-joon-ho-1202456655/

Is that really surprising? Doesn't the same thing happen to any movie over here that wants to release at the same time on an on demand service?

• Locked thread