Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I'd like Jaipur more with standardized bonus chips and an upcoming queue like power grid has. I've had a lot of 20 point blowouts because either the AI or I get all the higher scoring goods and a bunch of one point games because of the bonus chips. Neither is a very satisfying experience. I'm sure those design aspects are intentional for accessibility and to suppress the skill difference between players because it's a light family game but the core mechanisms could be used to create a more demanding game. I do enjoy it as a phone game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
The only time I care about my opponent's score in Jaipur is when trying to figure out whether they will end the game on their next turn.

Or, more rarely, whether I should end the game, but the answer is almost always "yes" unless my opponent's hand is empty (or I'm absolutely sure they can't end it first).

The thing I have a bigger problem with in the app is the inability to tell how many camels your opponent has. In the physical game you stack them up, but you can still get a ballpark estimate just by looking, and it's a little easier to miss camel acquisition/expenditure in the app.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Played our 7th session of Seafall with my group of four and just before I was going to win the game for the first time (I actually triggered the end), some random bullshit pops up and the guy in the lead wins again.

Now I'm 30 glory behind the third place and since I focused to move goods and market them, I'm hosed because most milestones now need exploration and rading. Oh, and got raided and lost two of my colonies.

I realized too late that the game is terrible. Any experience about what happens when a player drops out? Should I just soldier on? I think we just have three or two boxes left, anything cool? No spoilers please.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Talas posted:

I realized too late that the game is terrible. Any experience about what happens when a player drops out? Should I just soldier on? I think we just have three or two boxes left, anything cool? No spoilers please.

It's seafall so the answer is probably no.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

someone decided to teach smash up and I am losing my loving mind

it has been 52 minutes since my last turn

the ap is loving real up in here

edit: like I don't wanna be rude but I am about to walk the gently caress out

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Hauki posted:

You should have walked out at least 50 minutes ago how the gently caress does it possibly take that long to take a turn in Smash Up?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Hauki posted:

So what's the weather like in hell?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hauki posted:

Smash Up is great. Nothing beats counting 5 piles of cards every turn to figure out what your best move is.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

WhiteHowler posted:

The thing I have a bigger problem with in the app is the inability to tell how many camels your opponent has. In the physical game you stack them up, but you can still get a ballpark estimate just by looking, and it's a little easier to miss camel acquisition/expenditure in the app.

At first glance, it is a little funny that the game keeps it secret. Considering it from a "once public, always public" situation, a person with an eidetic memory could remember the number of camels everyone has since they are never gained in secret. As far as why it's included, in person I think it helps to dampen AP. Then you can't run every single number to a deductive level of certainty. (Also why coins are secret in Five Tribes, in my opinion, though they are also never gained or lost in secret.) The flip side is the app angle, where some implementations know you can write poo poo down so they just include that 'soft secret' information for you. Like, for instance, normally in Concordia you don't track your score constantly. But on http://www.boiteajeux.net/ it keeps a running tally of everyone's scores. I figure this is because since the game is asynchronous and there is no secret information, someone could just write it down anyway so might as well just do the heavy lifting and make it fair and faster. It changes the experience a bit, but that is the nature of things.

Speaking of, would anyone want to get in on a Goon game of Concordia? I'm still pretty new so I'd like to keep it without Salt or Forum Tiles or the weird stuff on Germany, so hopefully that's still appealing.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

So what's the weather like in hell?

it's raining

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Never played Smash Up and now I'm definitely not going to. What makes the turns take so long?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

al-azad posted:

Never played Smash Up and now I'm definitely not going to. What makes the turns take so long?

Someone must be treating it like it's power grid.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

Someone must be treating it like it's power grid.

I've never played a game of Power Grid that went over 2 hours even at max players. I would totally leave a game that excruciating.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

al-azad posted:

Most of the decks are like "Play 4 Power dude here, Move a guy from A to B, turn done" - but then there's others that have tons of "village", "play an extra dude", and "search your deck/graveyard for a card" effects that can entail a ton of choices and fiddling. If you have 2 of these deck-halves, God help the rest of the table.

We played a couple games where 90% of the time was taken by a single player spinning through their deck doing nothing (and then losing to Zombies again). This wasn't the only problem in the game, but alone it was a big enough problem to ruin the thing.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

jmzero posted:

Most of the decks are like "Play 4 Power dude here, Move a guy from A to B, turn done" - but then there's others that have tons of "village", "play an extra dude", and "search your deck/graveyard for a card" effects that can entail a ton of choices and fiddling. If you have 2 of these deck-halves, God help the rest of the table.

We played a couple games where 90% of the time was taken by a single player spinning through their deck doing nothing (and then losing to Zombies again). This wasn't the only problem in the game, but alone it was a big enough problem to ruin the thing.

:stare: I only played Smash Up a few times with a friend's base + early expansions game. If this is what's happened to the game since then...

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Smash Up is infinitely more tolerable if you only play to 10 points and use dice to track the count on each location.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

jmzero posted:

Most of the decks are like "Play 4 Power dude here, Move a guy from A to B, turn done" - but then there's others that have tons of "village", "play an extra dude", and "search your deck/graveyard for a card"

Ah, a game that deserves to be thrown into the bottom layer of hell. Gotcha.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Rumda posted:

It's seafall so the answer is probably no.
Welp, I guess that answer that. Thanks!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Magnetic North posted:

Speaking of, would anyone want to get in on a Goon game of Concordia? I'm still pretty new so I'd like to keep it without Salt or Forum Tiles or the weird stuff on Germany, so hopefully that's still appealing.

PBF, or what?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Talas posted:

Played our 7th session of Seafall with my group of four and just before I was going to win the game for the first time (I actually triggered the end), some random bullshit pops up and the guy in the lead wins again.

Now I'm 30 glory behind the third place and since I focused to move goods and market them, I'm hosed because most milestones now need exploration and rading. Oh, and got raided and lost two of my colonies.

I mean I'm not a huge fan of the game, but there's a pretty goddamn clear pivot around box 3 where the game makes it clear that exploration is going to be hella fuckin important from here on. if you've focused trading, use that to buy the exploration augments for your ship, burn extra actions on getting research cards to help you out. The randomness factor is extremely balls though, preparing for a literal in game year for an exploration action and just getting hosed by the dice is the worst goddamn feeling in board games.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Jedit posted:

PBF, or what?

I was thinking this site: http://www.boiteajeux.net/index.php Seems to work pretty well.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
I feel bad about the AP discussion in here, because I feel like my games take forever to play, but that's more because I don't play often enough and am desperately trying to get rules right than any real analysis on my turns.

This also relates to the discussion as to making silly mistakes in game reviews. I frankly don't know how people could play any major volume of games and review them and *not* make silly mistakes. I've played Mage Knight probably 4-5 times now, over two years, and it is still an exercise of following the game turn flow charts I've printed from various sites, etc. I'm sure I still screw things up majorly, forget things, etc.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 8, 2017

terebikun
May 27, 2016

jmzero posted:

Same. Also, I drag out about 1/3 of my games until I lock the AI into discarding his whole hand each turn and the deck is run out. I don't know why I do this.

Oh my god I do this too. If there's an expensive ship I've been wanting I might wait an extra couple of turns to finish the game just to buy it. Or kill all their stations before killing them. Why

Bottom Liner posted:

Onitama is devious as hell. Such a simple but brain melting game. I love it.

Tak is a game that gets better and better the more you play, especially with the same person. It's so open that the game plays drastically differently as you both explore different strategies and counter play.

I'm really eager to try Hanamikoji. Would you say it has more mechanical depth than Battle Line with tactics cards or about the same?

Agricola ACBAS basically requires one or both expansions to not be a static game. With them though, it really opens up and becomes a full worker placement that we like more than the original.

Bad deck builders become much better in app form, where you can just plow through a game in 5 minutes or less. I've played a few thousand games of Ascension that way, and I think it's a much better game than Star Realms.

The guy who taught me Tak is way into the book series it's derived from, seem like there's a lot of cool history there. Hanamikoji I would have to play again before I'd definitively judge it against Battle Line, but I'd say the way you choose cards by offering them to your opponent first and having to consider future rounds gives it depth that rivals the tactics cards.

I don't think I'd ever play Star Realms outside the app. I feel totally opposite about Jaipur, where I love the physical game, and have no desire to play the app.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Magnetic North posted:

I was thinking this site: http://www.boiteajeux.net/index.php Seems to work pretty well.

Ah, BAJ. Not been there in a while. I would be down.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

My recent games played:

Glux - It's an abstract area control game that really works. With the chips you're laying down on the board, it sort of feels like a way better Checkers, even though they really don't play the same at all. Simple rules, that really work together in interesting ways. Has the potential to be really mean if that's how you want to play it. The thirty minute playtime on the box seemed good, but I only played it two player. Three would probably be fine, four might be pushing it, but I'd still try that with, like, my nephews. It comes with pouches to blind-draw your playing chips from, so it's almost portable, makes me want to make my own copy of the two player board.

13 Days - I've never played Twilight Struggle, so I can't compare the two, but I really liked this one. Another area control game, but completely different. For one thing, more rules and fiddliness, which made the game less of a breeze to teach, but way more interesting to dig into. Limited options at any given time limit the AP potential, and the fact that you don't know for sure what your opponent is trying to score adds a lot of room for mindgames. Managing the defcon track is a good mechanic to keep you reined in.

Roll for the Galaxy - I loving suck at this game, and I don't even care. I need to stop assuming the other players are going to pick a phase that I need(you had FOUR GOODS ON YOUR PLANETS, SAM! Why wouldn't you goddam Consume?!). Playing it feels almost like a ritual. 4 people sitting together in a circle, shaking a cup of dice until they all slam them down on the carpet at once, lifting screens when they've all allocated their dice. Yeah. Plays really quick, I love the fact that the bag apparently represents Space.

Valley of the Kings:Afterlife - The whole thing just works. The entomb mechanic works really well, the pyramid market works really well, the cards combine beautifully, and I always felt like I had interesting choices to make. The scoring is just Set collection, and that's all it needs to be. A lot of game in a little tiny box, with probably the nicest quality cards in my collection. They feel really solid, and shuffling feels good.

Friday - I wanted a solo game, and the Onirim app was cheap enough that I couldn't justify buying the physical game, so I gave this a try. Constantly interesting, trying to find the balance in how bold you should try to be. I'm still on the basic version of the game, and I think that might be the case for a while. Which is great, really. It means I can keep exploring the game.

Last Will - It's a neat game. The theme is all over the mechanics, which I really respect. The rules aren't complicated, except for all those little exceptions that CGE seem to love, but they all work thematically, so you don't have trouble remembering them. The variety in the cards gives you lots of room to try new things, and pivot a strategy that's not working out. Picking your turn order properly seems to be key.

Sitting on the shelf, waiting to be tried: Medina, Lost Cities, Cash n Guns, Alchemists, Biblios.

Coming soon in the mail: Tash Kalar, Istanbul, Shogun, Escape!: Zombie City, and Broom Service.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

For any fans of Days of Ire, the semi-sequel, Nights of Fire is currently in development (and being playtested by me). So keep an eye out :)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

El Fideo posted:

Last Will - It's a neat game. The theme is all over the mechanics, which I really respect. The rules aren't complicated, except for all those little exceptions that CGE seem to love, but they all work thematically, so you don't have trouble remembering them. The variety in the cards gives you lots of room to try new things, and pivot a strategy that's not working out. Picking your turn order properly seems to be key.

If you like Vladimir Suchy, try League of Six. It's a game built around paying people to gently caress off so you can grab the resources you need to make them use their resources to complete your orders and give you a bonus. 3-5 players, 50-75 minutes. I picked it up for £5 in a sale a couple of years back; a friend of mine played it and on the back of that bought his own copy for £10, and he thought he got a bargain.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Tekopo posted:

For any fans of Days of Ire, the semi-sequel, Nights of Fire is currently in development (and being playtested by me). So keep an eye out :)

Exciting! I think the full co-op game for Days of Ire is a little flat (at least when played solo) but I quite enjoy the 1 vs many game.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Kashuno posted:

So Betrayal at House on the Hill is being reskinned with a dnd theme, Betrayal at Baldur's Gate

The whiplash of seeing that name and thinking "Wow, cool a Baldur's Gate game" and then realizing what it actually was

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kiranamos posted:

The whiplash of seeing that name and thinking "Wow, cool a Baldur's Gate game" and then realizing what it actually was

It's really dumb that it's not called Betrayal at the Tomb of Horrors. It's the perfect setting for the bullshit shenanigans that go on Betrayal. Maybe Hasbro wants to burn off all influences of Gygax in which case it could take place in Undermountain which is in-universe a randomized dungeon ruled by a mad wizard who stocks it with monsters and treasure. This poo poo writes itself!

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

al-azad posted:

For me it's the disappointment that it's not called Betrayal at the Tomb of Horrors. It's the perfect setting for the bullshit shenanigans that go on Betrayal. Maybe Hasbro wants to burn off all influences of Gygax in which case it could take place in Undermountain which is in-universe a randomized dungeon ruled by a mad wizard who stocks it with monsters and treasure. This poo poo writes itself!

It sounds like you've already put more thought and effort into this than Hasbro has.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I don't get the appeal of Baldur's Gate (the setting). Even in the game, the city itself was boring as poo poo, and the rest of the Sword Coast isn't that much better. At least Waterdeep has that aforementioned crazy wizard dungeon underneath it.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't get the appeal of Baldur's Gate (the setting). Even in the game, the city itself was boring as poo poo, and the rest of the Sword Coast isn't that much better. At least Waterdeep has that aforementioned crazy wizard dungeon underneath it.

I would be more likely to buy a game entitled Betrayal in the Crazy Wizard's Dungeon. It would have Robert Crumb-style art and seriously trippy scenarios.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

El Fideo posted:

Not that Last Will also integrates with another Suchy game, The Prodigals' Club - Last Will is about spending all your money as quickly as possible, Prodigals' Club is about destroying your social standing as fast as possible because, as the players have realized, 'the lower classes have more fun.' The Prodigals' Club rules tell you how to play both games together.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Anyone played Haspelknecht yet? I don't recall any thoughts being shared about it. Opinions?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

You could maaaybe argue that they're targeting fans of the old computer games but the Neverwinter series is newer and had more games so I don't know. It really feels like something zero thought was put into when D&D has no shortage of crazy scenarios and premade locations that would've been perfect. Hell, Ravenloft is an entire campaign setting themed around horror movies with pocket dimensions where the evilest villains create a reality that suits them.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Not that Last Will also integrates with another Suchy game, The Prodigals' Club - Last Will is about spending all your money as quickly as possible, Prodigals' Club is about destroying your social standing as fast as possible because, as the players have realized, 'the lower classes have more fun.' The Prodigals' Club rules tell you how to play both games together.

My game group has played both of these several times, and every now and then I get the request "Hey bring that Brewster's Millions game." but we've still been a bit intimidated to actually smash them together. Anyone have any experience on that?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

al-azad posted:

You could maaaybe argue that they're targeting fans of the old computer games but the Neverwinter series is newer and had more games so I don't know. It really feels like something zero thought was put into when D&D has no shortage of crazy scenarios and premade locations that would've been perfect. Hell, Ravenloft is an entire campaign setting themed around horror movies with pocket dimensions where the evilest villains create a reality that suits them.

I would play Betrayal at Sigil: City of Doors

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Kruller posted:

My game group has played both of these several times, and every now and then I get the request "Hey bring that Brewster's Millions game." but we've still been a bit intimidated to actually smash them together. Anyone have any experience on that?
We've done it a couple of times. It's... fine, but it's a lot more trouble than it's worth.

Prodigals Club already has a simpler, streamlined version of Last Will built in, which is properly balanced with the other two boards. If I want to play full-on Last Will, I'll play Last Will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Any thoughts on Great Western Trail? A friend of mine played it and was raving about it but I'm curious about the thread consensus.