Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So yeah gently caress it lets try to go through all the Kingdom Hearts games. From what I understand Homestuck is a more coherent franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
KH2 basically makes you retread everything you did in KH1 anyways so why even play that game

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

BigRed0427 posted:

Edit: Ok, Got Kingdom Hearts running. I'm still in the tutorial area but other than the opening Pre-rendered cutscene the game is running fine. But holy hell these controls. When the hell did we figure out to put the camera on the right stick and not the trigger buttons?

When I played it a couple of months ago it was my first time after always wanting to play it since it was released 15 years or so ago.

It didn't really age well and I honestly didn't find much enjoyable about it. It felt so janky and unresponsive in almost every way.

Zaphod42 posted:

KH2 basically makes you retread everything you did in KH1 anyways so why even play that game

Nobody told me that :argh:!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I mean at this point you may as well just wait until you have a PS4, pretty much all of them are on there now, in the capacity they deserve.

Unless you already have a PS4, then get on that poo poo.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

I'd say KH2 is the one with the most new areas, actually. It's all the spinoff crap (up until the PSP and 3DS games) that is mostly rehashing the original game.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Phantasium posted:

I'd say KH2 is the one with the most new areas, actually. It's all the spinoff crap (up until the PSP and 3DS games) that is mostly rehashing the original game.

KH2 took the paper thin but workable story from the first game and started us on the road to that document that we all know and love.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Phantasium posted:

I mean at this point you may as well just wait until you have a PS4, pretty much all of them are on there now, in the capacity they deserve.

Unless you already have a PS4, then get on that poo poo.

I've been thinking about a PS4 for a while now but I don't have the room. Once I get new furniture I should get one. Plus I wanna play Injustice 2 and FF XV

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

KH2 took the paper thin but workable story from the first game and started us on the road to that document that we all know and love.

Oh for sure, but I feel like the number of new areas (outside of considering the first game, where everything is new) is the highest in that one.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Phantasium posted:

Oh for sure, but I feel like the number of new areas (outside of considering the first game, where everything is new) is the highest in that one.

I can't really dispute that, it's just my memories of KH2 were "I can't believe how incredibly stupid and needlessly complicated this story is" and then things just kept getting worse...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mak0rz posted:

The story keeps going, but you end up revisiting pretty much all the same places plus more places. You different stuff so its not all a waste, but yeah... you're gonna see all the same Disney worlds over again :)

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Doc Morbid posted:

I remember (well, read in magazines several years later because I was too young at the time) that a bunch of people in the European computer game scene in the early 90s were always complaining about Mario's controls and physics, how it felt too slippery or some poo poo like that and how [insert lovely UK-made Amiga platformer] totally played better. Never understood that myself, but then again I was a dumbass Nintendo kid.

what you didn't dig Snibley the fwumtabulous egg-shaped action man or whatever the gently caress passed for "video" "games" in the UK?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

BigRed0427 posted:

So yeah gently caress it lets try to go through all the Kingdom Hearts games. From what I understand Homestuck is a more coherent franchise.
Way ahead of you, cuz late last month I started that copy of KH1.5+2.5 ReMIX I got for my birthday in April. Up until now, I've only played Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts 2, with me trying Chain of Memories briefly when I borrowed a copy of it for the GBA from a church friend. Current status: beat KH1: Final Mix (and kind of want to go back and do some of the bonus content), working on RE: Chain of Memories.

I don't really like RE: Chain of Memories. I've got a decent enough deck for whacking around average mooks without having to use Sleights (which would permanently eliminate cards from my deck, eventually leaving me helpless if done carelessly), though it could be better because, Kingdom Key aside, the attack cards I have are all 6 or lower (with most being much lower), so I get card broken every so often. However, the bosses eat me for lunch more often than not (Oogie excepted - that fight was kinda pathetic). I've gotten through Larxene and Riku by spamming the poo poo out of Sonic Blade sleights (using a separate deck specifically made to facilitate that), but I expect this strategy is not going to hold out forever. Probably should've just chosen the Easy difficulty instead of Normal...

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Shadow Hog posted:

I don't really like RE: Chain of Memories. I've got a decent enough deck for whacking around average mooks without having to use Sleights (which would permanently eliminate cards from my deck, eventually leaving me helpless if done carelessly), though it could be better because, Kingdom Key aside, the attack cards I have are all 6 or lower (with most being much lower), so I get card broken every so often. However, the bosses eat me for lunch more often than not (Oogie excepted - that fight was kinda pathetic). I've gotten through Larxene and Riku by spamming the poo poo out of Sonic Blade sleights (using a separate deck specifically made to facilitate that), but I expect this strategy is not going to hold out forever. Probably should've just chosen the Easy difficulty instead of Normal...

I borrowed my friend's GBA Chain of Memories one summer and remember it being very easy. Especially once you get three Cloud cards and can spam Omnislash.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Unfortunately, I do not have three Cloud cards, just one.

Though I suppose I could start spending more Moogle Points on magic cards and hope the RNGods grant me two more Cloud cards, I guess. (And then just hope the bosses don't cancel an Omnislash sleight out with a 0 card.)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

I borrowed my friend's GBA Chain of Memories one summer and remember it being very easy. Especially once you get three Cloud cards and can spam Omnislash.

They must've fixed that for the PS2 version because holy hell that game is unfair unless you grind for hours. The final boss is some Vagrant Story/Parasite Eve bullshit where it's hella long but trivial until the final form where it has an instant death attack.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

So uhh I'm doing some research on Telenet, which was an absolute giant in Japan in the late 80s/early 90s that the West really only got to experience through their NA subsidiary Renovation Products, and the company basically collapsed overnight before being bought out by Sega. Well... their executive producer of literally every game under the Telenet umbrella, Masahiro Akishino, disappeared. Yeah, just vanished. I'm guessing he took the money and ran which caused the collapse of J Force (who were working on Dragon Force which Sega had to bail out), Telenet was bought outright by Sega, and Wolfteam got absorbed by Namco eventually to be renamed Namco Tales Studio. Shingo Kuwana was the original, and I'm assuming uncredited, designer of Dragon Force before Sega's involvement. As a result of this schism he formed Idea Factory which would later spin off to Compile Heart.

It's weird to me this isn't discussed or researched more? I can barely find any English articles on Akishino and any mention of his name is simply connected to a game released through Renovation. But this guy's name was attached to dozens (maybe hundreds) of titles through three or four different companies, some of them being minor hits in America. Even finding Japanese sources is hard. Japan's video game scene was big on contracting out work and the disappearance of a single guy collapsed several of the biggest ones who weren't named TOSE all in the same year yet there's little information about any of it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

BigRed0427 posted:

I've been thinking about a PS4 for a while now but I don't have the room. Once I get new furniture I should get one. Plus I wanna play Injustice 2 and FF XV

Get Bloodborne when you do, also if you get a PS4 before July 4th and get a PS+ subscription you can get the PS4 version of Killing Floor 2 for free

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

al-azad posted:

They must've fixed that for the PS2 version because holy hell that game is unfair unless you grind for hours. The final boss is some Vagrant Story/Parasite Eve bullshit where it's hella long but trivial until the final form where it has an instant death attack.

This was my last summer out of high school before college and had a piss easy job in my podunk town that would end at like 3 every day. Back then I had much more patience and free time so it's actually possible it wasn't any different than the PS2 remake :shrug:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

This was my last summer out of high school before college and had a piss easy job in my podunk town that would end at like 3 every day. Back then I had much more patience and free time so it's actually possible it wasn't any different than the PS2 remake :shrug:

I haven't played the GBA version, but it looks far more bearable than the PS2 one.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

al-azad posted:

I haven't played the GBA version, but it looks far more bearable than the PS2 one.

Honestly I remember the game being pretty good! I'd recommend at least giving it a try if you can find a cart.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

al-azad posted:

So uhh I'm doing some research on Telenet, which was an absolute giant in Japan in the late 80s/early 90s that the West really only got to experience through their NA subsidiary Renovation Products, and the company basically collapsed overnight before being bought out by Sega. Well... their executive producer of literally every game under the Telenet umbrella, Masahiro Akishino, disappeared. Yeah, just vanished. I'm guessing he took the money and ran which caused the collapse of J Force (who were working on Dragon Force which Sega had to bail out), Telenet was bought outright by Sega, and Wolfteam got absorbed by Namco eventually to be renamed Namco Tales Studio. Shingo Kuwana was the original, and I'm assuming uncredited, designer of Dragon Force before Sega's involvement. As a result of this schism he formed Idea Factory which would later spin off to Compile Heart.

It's weird to me this isn't discussed or researched more? I can barely find any English articles on Akishino and any mention of his name is simply connected to a game released through Renovation. But this guy's name was attached to dozens (maybe hundreds) of titles through three or four different companies, some of them being minor hits in America. Even finding Japanese sources is hard. Japan's video game scene was big on contracting out work and the disappearance of a single guy collapsed several of the biggest ones who weren't named TOSE all in the same year yet there's little information about any of it.

I'd never heard of this guy or any of this stuff so I looked into it a little (ie read the Japanese wikipedia page on this dude) and I think you've confused things a little - he was one of the leaders of Telenet but it seems he sucked at his job and was marginalised out of the company, through Wolf Team and then to an external contractor (J Force) which collapsed when he disappeared, but Telenet died all on its own for a multitude of reasons.

Sega acquired and finished Dragon Force but they didn't buy Telenet - it legally existed well into the '00s under different owners but eventually went bankrupt and now Sunsoft owns most of their catalogue, including the Wolf Team brand. (Namco Tales Studio took all their talent but not the actual studio.)

As for why it's not a more well-known incident... no idea, really. I guess it'd be more of a story if they found the guy? Perhaps they're just not interested in perpetuating scandals like these lest they tarnish the reputation of the industry more broadly.

The business with Dragon Force is similar to something Sega just went through with the former saviours of the JRPG, imageepoch - they started making a 3DS game for Sega, the president of the company disappeared suddenly and left everyone to rot, Sega acquired the game and finished it themselves.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jun 8, 2017

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Phantasium posted:

"Pretty much" nothing, if you get both the 1.5 and 2.5 bundle, and KH 2.8, you'll have absolutely every KH game made thus far.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

univbee posted:

"Pretty much" nothing, if you get both the 1.5 and 2.5 bundle, and KH 2.8, you'll have absolutely every KH game made thus far.
Except for the ones where they stripped out the gameplay and turned them into several-hours-long cutscenes but I'm assuming that's because they weren't particularly good games

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

HAT FETISH posted:

Except for the ones where they stripped out the gameplay and turned them into several-hours-long cutscenes but I'm assuming that's because they weren't particularly good games

Yeah, that's what I meant.

And no, you're not missing much. re:coded had a bunch of novel gameplay styles (I think the coliseum played like a traditional Final Fantasy?), but was still a rehash of KH1

358/2 days is just grinding out maps with an occasional interruption to eat ice cream on a tower. I remember playing it back in the day and hating it, so I cheated just to see the cutscenes and like half of them are just eating some drat ice cream.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I'd never heard of this guy or any of this stuff so I looked into it a little (ie read the Japanese wikipedia page on this dude) and I think you've confused things a little - he was one of the leaders of Telenet but it seems he sucked at his job and was marginalised out of the company, through Wolf Team and then to an external contractor (J Force) which collapsed when he disappeared, but Telenet died all on its own for a multitude of reasons.

Sega acquired and finished Dragon Force but they didn't buy Telenet - it legally existed well into the '00s under different owners but eventually went bankrupt and now Sunsoft owns most of their catalogue, including the Wolf Team brand. (Namco Tales Studio took all their talent but not the actual studio.)

As for why it's not a more well-known incident... no idea, really. I guess it'd be more of a story if they found the guy? Perhaps they're just not interested in perpetuating scandals like these lest they tarnish the reputation of the industry more broadly.

The business with Dragon Force is similar to something Sega just went through with the former saviours of the JRPG, imageepoch - they started making a 3DS game for Sega, the president of the company disappeared suddenly and left everyone to rot, Sega acquired the game and finished it themselves.

Further research, he officially left Wolfteam in 1990 (the same time Telenet acquired them) to start J Force yet his name is attached to every Wolf Team game as Executive Producer going to at least 1995 with Tokyo Twilight Busters. I don't know what contractual obligations kept this guy on the front of nearly every video game, but clearly his knowledge was sought out and I don't think it was incompetence. Sometimes his name is scrubbed from English localizations like Time Gal's Mega CD opening has credits where his name is front and center while the English version doesn't mention him in the endgame credits unless they mistranslated his name and I didn't catch it.

It's just weird that a singular guy would have his name on more games than anyone else at two different companies and then drop out with nothing to be said for it.

e: The best assumption I can make, assuming he wasn't still working with Wolf Team, is that he owned part of the company in some manner?

al-azad fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 8, 2017

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I actually remember really liking Chain of Memories. A RPG that uses CCG mechanics is something that really appealed to me.

Edit: my ultimate white whale of gaming is a video game version of the 40K tabletop game that includes the collectibility and customization of armies.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 8, 2017

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Speaking of Rennovation, Game Sack has two episodes about them that are worth a watch. Well I guess almost all of their videos are worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je0JQbELovo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo7jP2nG54Y

Also I cheated my way through Gaiares the other day and it was great. Boss on the 2nd to last stage took like literally a billion hits to die, I don't see how one could have done that without cheating.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Managed to score a really crusty (but free) NES. Gonna clean it up and hope it works

Came with two controllers a zapper and a Mario/duck hunt cart.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Why did I sell my NES? :smith:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Sold my PVM today. Made 75 flipping it but I'll miss the unwieldy whining box.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Every now and then I get the urge to just hit ebay and browse carts (I've found this to be way cheaper than my local retro stores, sadly) and every single time if I ever actually wind up buying something it ends up becoming an avalanche where I just keep adding one more game to the list. The latest victims were ActRaiser (which I've never played, somehow), Uniracers, Gradius III, and Sin & Punishment for the N64.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

play ActRaiser

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That was my plan!

Like I could get it on the VC presumably somehow, but my mindset these days is that if the cart is not prohibitively rare and expensive I'd might as well just do go that route instead. Having a Framemeister and not using it in that situation would look rather silly.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

Edit: my ultimate white whale of gaming is a video game version of the 40K tabletop game that includes the collectibility and customization of armies.

I recall there being a version of Mage Knight for the DS, though I'd put money on it being a really lovely adaptation.

Nate RFB posted:

Every now and then I get the urge to just hit ebay and browse carts (I've found this to be way cheaper than my local retro stores, sadly) and every single time if I ever actually wind up buying something it ends up becoming an avalanche where I just keep adding one more game to the list. The latest victims were ActRaiser (which I've never played, somehow), Uniracers, Gradius III, and Sin & Punishment for the N64.

That's a lot of fun gaming there. Also, Uniracers.

Sin and Punishment has got one of those Treasure things where the game systems can be kind of tricky to get a feel for but then once you do it's just a blast of non-stop insane action. However, when you play it you are required to post back to this thread summarizing the plot. Don't worry, it's all in English. I think.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Random Stranger posted:

Sin and Punishment has got one of those Treasure things where the game systems can be kind of tricky to get a feel for but then once you do it's just a blast of non-stop insane action. However, when you play it you are required to post back to this thread summarizing the plot. Don't worry, it's all in English. I think.

I only ever played Sin and Punishment on the Wii VC and I tried using the Classic and GameCube controllers and both of them were miserable. Is it just better on a real N64 controller?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I basically had to sell off the vast majority of my retro stuff in 2013 when I moved, so I just don't bother buying old games unless I see something underpriced at a thrift store. As it stands my current "collection" is an Atari 7800 with a cracked case and 2600 harmony flashcard plus ms pac man 7800, several penguin and controller shaped Famiclones, two different modern knockoff multiple systems (one NES/SNES, one NES/SNES/Genesis), a Genesis Megacart old eeprom (I think) based multicart, and a modded original Xbox with a ton of games on drive plus a few leftover real Discs,and a DS Lite with a flashcard plus 32 GB MicroSD. And a 360,if you want to count that.

Edit: oh and a couple random intellivision games and a Colecovision Flashback plus a 7800 Flashback

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

I only ever played Sin and Punishment on the Wii VC and I tried using the Classic and GameCube controllers and both of them were miserable. Is it just better on a real N64 controller?

I first played it on VC and I do think it feels a bit better on the original system with the controller, but you're probably running into the awkwardness I mentioned.

Have you ever played Alien Soldier (the Treasure game on the Genesis, of course)? I think Sin and Punishment is a lot like that where it's a real pain to get a feel for the game but when you do, it's pretty cool.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Random Stranger posted:

I first played it on VC and I do think it feels a bit better on the original system with the controller, but you're probably running into the awkwardness I mentioned.

Have you ever played Alien Soldier (the Treasure game on the Genesis, of course)? I think Sin and Punishment is a lot like that where it's a real pain to get a feel for the game but when you do, it's pretty cool.

The only Treasure games I've really played are Gunstar Heroes and Mischief Makers, both of which had pretty intuitive controls :shrug:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

they... they just announced a new Bubsy game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Speaking of Treasure, more people need to give Astro Boy: Omega Factor a try, as it's not only one of the best licensed games on the GBA, it's one of that system's best games period

• Locked thread