Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Mophidious just put up pre-orders for their new Star Trek Adventures RPG based on their 2d20 system. I was registered for the playtest but never got a chance to give it a spin, anyone know what the feedback looked like before I decide to blindly buy it based on IP alone? Has there -ever- been a Trek-based RPG game that wasn't poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Lasers and Feelings, I guess.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
That cube thing from earlier is over 400 bucks :stare:

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
But think how cool it'll look gathering dust?

Link to said cube.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The non-collectors edition of the game has a bunch of negative ratings from people who think $59 is an outrageous sum of money to ask for an RPG.

It's pretty much in-line with a lot of other major ones like FFG and not too far off from Pathfinder's $49 MSRP. Grogs will be grogs.

The extras are all stupidly expensive though, I'll grant them that. The miniatures sets (which I'd maybe consider buying at half the price) are listed here in Europe at 47 Euros each for 8 minis. That's like GW-levels of ripoff.

Edit: lol 18 euros for some acrylic chips, 35 euros for a gamemaster's screen.

Drone fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jun 8, 2017

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
RPG books should forever cost what they did in 1995. What's inflation?

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Dice at £18 is ludicrous, that's way more than any other comparable Q Workshop dice.

They have a stretch goal for the number of bork cubes sold, totally not like a kickstarter.

And the PDFs are a kickstarter style approach - buy now, get them in 2018 etc (well they say 2017-2018, but it's modiphius, so maybe 2019)

Modiphius in still being poo poo, shocker.

The core rulebook at $60/£45 isn't outrageous (though while the graphic design looks pretty, readability is going to be a bitch), everything else is taking the piss though.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
If it's a GM's screen ala the the FFG screens where it's basically a mini-sourcebook and a screen sturdy enough to be used as a murder weapon, I could maybe see charging 35 bucks.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Splicer posted:

That cube thing from earlier is over 400 bucks :stare:

Quite a bit more over $400...

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Drone posted:

Mophidious just put up pre-orders for their new Star Trek Adventures RPG based on their 2d20 system. I was registered for the playtest but never got a chance to give it a spin, anyone know what the feedback looked like before I decide to blindly buy it based on IP alone? Has there -ever- been a Trek-based RPG game that wasn't poo poo?
I haven't read enough of the test version rules to fully explain the problem, but there's a thread on their testing forums where a group of min-maxers managed to completely break the system their first try. Something about being able to buy extra dice and re-rolls in such a way that they could also immediately refill the pool used to buy extra dice/re-rolls, meaning that they could throw max dice at every single task and never failed. The designer was kicking around ideas on ways to prevent it, but I have no idea if any fixes made it to the final version.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Lol fleecing star Trek whales is basically a public service

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe
Also, the character talents don't exactly seem balanced:

A few talents from the pre-gen chars posted:

Careful Words: When engaged in social conflict, and buying additional d20s with Momentum, you may re-roll your dice pool.
vs.
Interrogation: When in a social conflict, attempting to uncover information from an unwilling person, and you buy one or more bonus d20s by adding to Threat, you may re-roll your dice pool.

Disciplined Piloting: When attempting any Task from the Helm role, and you have bought one or more d20s with Momentum, you may re-roll your dice pool.
vs.
White-knuckle Ride: When piloting a vessel, and you buy one or more dice by adding to Threat, you may re-roll your dice pool.

Analytical: Whenever you attempt a Science Task, and you purchase one or more d20s using Momentum, you may re-roll your dice pool.
vs.
Boldly Go: Whenever studying an unknown phenomenon, charting an unknown world, or otherwise exploring the unknown, and you buy one or more bonus d20s by adding to Threat, you may re-roll your dice pool.
Momentum is the currency used to (among other things) buy extra dice, and is evidently easy to keep filled if the players want to play that way.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Drone posted:

The non-collectors edition of the game has a bunch of negative ratings from people who think $59 is an outrageous sum of money to ask for an RPG.

It's pretty much in-line with a lot of other major ones like FFG and not too far off from Pathfinder's $49 MSRP. Grogs will be grogs.

The extras are all stupidly expensive though, I'll grant them that. The miniatures sets (which I'd maybe consider buying at half the price) are listed here in Europe at 47 Euros each for 8 minis. That's like GW-levels of ripoff.

Edit: lol 18 euros for some acrylic chips, 35 euros for a gamemaster's screen.

RPG Companies: We kind of undercut our costs to maintain sales, even though production and quality has suffered and it has stifled the growth of the industry as a whole.

Grogs: We want it even cheaper!!! It should all be free! You entitled millennial!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

They probably saw how many gullible nerds got fleeced by Invisible Sun, so they might as well go that route too.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Haystack posted:

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

g0del posted:

Momentum is the currency used to (among other things) buy extra dice, and is evidently easy to keep filled if the players want to play that way.

I'm only familiar with the 2d20 system through the Infinity RPG - but what's wrong with those talents?

Momentum is the extra successes that you or your group have floating around to spend on later actions. E.g. I crit rolled picking a lock, now I get to burn some Momentum on intimidating the guy inside the door.

Threat is the mechanical component that the GM uses to buff their rolls/NPCs, add complications, and incentivize their players. Every player can choose to give the GM threat in exchange for a momentary bonus.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

They apparently introduced a cheaper Borg box collector's thing at the low low price of $324, along with some other changes/clarifications due to "feedback from the community":

A Mophidius Email I Just Got posted:

Hi there, last night we launched our pre-order for Star Trek Adventures and took to heart the feedback from our community. We spent the night working out some updates to the various items in the pre-order which add more value and give you more options - check them out below.

BORG CUBE BOXED SET
Firstly we realise a lot of people were disappointed at the price of the premium, numbered, limited edition Borg cube boxed set and so we've created an alternative Borg Drone Bundle for £249 / $324.

The Limited Edition Borg Cube Boxed Set is very much designed for collectors who want everything with the premium costs that come with the limited, numbered edition nature of the box set.

The new Borg Drone Bundle allows customers to get this beautifully designed gaming case along with the key roleplaying components. The Borg Drone bundle is only available in the online pre-order directly from our website. You can order the Limited Edition Borg Cube Boxed Set from retailers.

COLLECTORS EDITION
A lot of people were asking what the difference is in the core book and collector's edition. The Star Trek Adventures Core Rulebook Collector's Edition is a limited print run just for the pre-order and features spot UV varnish of the U.S.S. Enterprise 1701-D on a matt laminate cover with three coloured reading ribbons attached to the spine.

We have updated the Collector's Edition to also include the folded paper map of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants.

Have a look at some of the interior pages for the core book, as you can see it uses the LCARS design - we've spent a lot of time getting the black background right and it's going to be beautiful in print and on your datapad! Remember the core book is all you need to play!

GAMEMASTER SCREEN
The giant Gamemaster Screen has been upgraded to include 6 double-sided matt laminated reference cards. Each of these includes player aids on one side and a specific Bridge crew position reference on the back (such as Flight Control, Navigation, Tactical Oversight, etc).

We've also included these six reference cards in the Limited Edition Borg Cube Boxed Set and the Borg Drone Bundle

MINIATURES
For the miniatures collectors we've created a special new Wave 1 Miniatures bundle for all four of the miniatures sets which saves £20 / $25 on the total price.

In addition the Romulan and Klingon sets have been upgraded to include a total of 10 miniatures each instead of 8 (pictures below will be updated next week)

SUPPORT YOUR FLGS
We really want to support your friendly local gaming store and have been planning with distributors to get retailers involved in the pre-order. Over the next week your local store should be getting the information they need to join in. They will also be able to order the Limited Edition Borg Cube Boxed Set. By ordering from them you'll be able to save on shipping costs and we'll soon be rolling out an in-store demo programme.

Retail pre-orders will ship alongside retail stock so will be available to pick up from stores early September, except for Borg Cubes which are shipping later in September for everyone. Our own pre-orders will ship in August except for the Borg cube editions which ship in September onwards.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Haystack posted:

*putting them in Jail for being Paedophiles

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

g0del posted:

Threat is unlimited, you can always take threat if you want. Momentum is limited by circumstance. The threat ones all have more limited focus but the momentum ones have less mechanical availability.

Assuming this was sorted out anyway:

g0del posted:

I haven't read enough of the test version rules to fully explain the problem, but there's a thread on their testing forums where a group of min-maxers managed to completely break the system their first try. Something about being able to buy extra dice and re-rolls in such a way that they could also immediately refill the pool used to buy extra dice/re-rolls, meaning that they could throw max dice at every single task and never failed. The designer was kicking around ideas on ways to prevent it, but I have no idea if any fixes made it to the final version.
Link? I played a whole one sessions so clearly I am qualified to comment on this.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Splicer posted:

I played some of the beta.

What was your impression?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Drone posted:

What was your impression?

Splicer posted:

I played earlier in the playtest, we ran into some GM issues but the system itself seemed solid. It's a very fail forward system and the GM didn't seem to "get" fail forward. The mechanics for me and the pilot getting into an argument about whose fault it was that we crashed the ship were pretty decent. Definitely going to eyeball that box when it gets an actual price.
I am no longer eyeballing the box but definitely still eyeballing the regular core book if I think I could scrounge up some players and free time.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
One thing is that their momentum dice thing is doing something like EotE/WFRP3 thing except without funny dice (1234 added to our rolls, 56 added an effect but no raw numbers). It worked well as a mechanic but it felt less good with boring regular dice, further cementing my pro-funny dice position.

E: I misremembered, 12 add successes, 34 do nothing, 56 adds effects

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 8, 2017

jadarx
May 25, 2012

Cassa posted:

But think how cool it'll look gathering dust?

Link to said cube.

I see they're doing the Deus Ex: Mankind Divided 'Augment your Preorder' strategy. That worked well for Square.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

They better play up that title for all it's worth. Looking forward to assembling Noah's magic space ark. Or possibly going to a wizard party?

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

Threat is unlimited, you can always take threat if you want. Momentum is limited by circumstance. The threat ones all have more limited focus but the momentum ones have less mechanical availability.

Assuming this was sorted out anyway:
Link? I played a whole one sessions so clearly I am qualified to comment on this.
I didn't even play it, merely read grogs arguing about it. But since you asked, about half-way down this page is where it started. Look for the posts by aramis_erak where he shows how his min-maxed players were able to use momentum to buy extra dice, while almost always completely refilling the momentum pool due to all the extra successes they got from the extra dice. That's what makes the talents unbalanced - if momentum isn't actually limited, those talents are way stronger than they should be.

This is the thread where the designer talked about some potential solutions, but I skimmed it and couldn't find if he had made a concrete decision on how to fix things (and if he had, it doesn't look like it got play-tested by anyone outside the company).

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The easiest goddamn fix is just make it so you can't gain Momentum on any roll where you spent it. You'd think that would have been the default. :rolleyes:

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Hackmaster had the best gm screen

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Access to the Beta of the Pathfinder CRPG is straight up a hundo bucks but 150 people already signed for it on the first day of kickstarter. Paizo Fans are psychotic.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Plutonis posted:

Access to the Beta of the Pathfinder CRPG is straight up a hundo bucks but 150 people already signed for it on the first day of kickstarter. Paizo Fans are psychotic.

don't underestimate the obsessive tendency to eat garbage and love it among the "old-school" crpg types

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I've been intrigued by the kingdom-builder aspect of Kingmaker since it was an adventure path, and the only way I'd be willing to deal with Pathfinder is if I didn't have to screw with the math and fiddly rules, so I find myself thinking more and more about backing this one. Go figure.

Sure as poo poo ain't going in for $100 though.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I've been intrigued by the kingdom-builder aspect of Kingmaker since it was an adventure path, and the only way I'd be willing to deal with Pathfinder is if I didn't have to screw with the math and fiddly rules, so I find myself thinking more and more about backing this one. Go figure.

There are a billion ways to get that kingdom-builder thing going that don't involve Pathfinder at all, so you can scratch that itch anytime you want. There's Reign, old D&D, any given Kevin Crawford game, that new Fragged Empire expansion, GURPS, probably a ton of stuff I'm forgetting.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lemniscate Blue posted:

A lot of words to say "I'd like to play Reign".

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

You could just play GREG STAFFORD'S THE GREAT PENDRAGON CAMPAIGN or perhaps RUN IT FOR ME

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Pendragon is dope, but pretty dang terrible to run online. Play by post is especially terrible. I ran one on these forums a few years back, and a single big combat will take like three weeks.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Why did I have to become aware of Fragged Empire right after starting a space-faring campaign with a different system? Now I can't get Fragged Empire out of my head but I already got my players into Strike and put a bunch of work into setting stuff up for them :negative: The eternal woes of a GM with the attention span of drunk goldfish I guess

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Plutonis posted:

You could just play GREG STAFFORD'S THE GREAT PENDRAGON CAMPAIGN or perhaps RUN IT FOR ME

I am hunting for this at GenCon this year. I was big into Arthurian legends in middle/high school, so to get a physical copy of this and to get Greg Stafford to sign it would be what you might call "a big win" for me.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

LuiCypher posted:

I am hunting for this at GenCon this year. I was big into Arthurian legends in middle/high school, so to get a physical copy of this and to get Greg Stafford to sign it would be what you might call "a big win" for me.

I thought you weren't American...?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

LuiCypher posted:

He's been at the Chaosium booth the last few years. I can also confirm that he does sell Pendragon there and that he will sign it :smug:

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Haystack posted:

He's been at the Chaosium booth the last few years. I can also confirm that he does sell Pendragon there and that he will sign it :smug:

He's a cool, chill old dude and he signed all my Guide to Glorantha stuff and my buddy's Pendragon pack in succession.

Sandy Petersen conversely is like the J. Jonah Jameson of RPG dev's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

There are a billion ways to get that kingdom-builder thing going that don't involve Pathfinder at all, so you can scratch that itch anytime you want. There's Reign, old D&D, any given Kevin Crawford game, that new Fragged Empire expansion, GURPS, probably a ton of stuff I'm forgetting.

The Kickstarter is for a video game though, and none of those are video games and would thus not do the math for you.

• Locked thread