Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Caufman posted:

Replaying F:NV last, I was amazed again by how fiction could be used to tell (interactively, too) a fantastical story that is meaningful to people living at the time. What was lost along the road to Fallout 4?

Different studio. New Vegas was Obsidian, staffed with great writers.

4 was Bethesda, staffed with Bethesda's writers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007
This I know, but surely the knowledge that your story should matter is something that can be transferred from developer to developer as it can from person to person, right?

No? I see.

Now I understand why some wonder why God damns us all.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Caufman posted:

This I know, but surely the knowledge that your story should matter is something that can be transferred from developer to developer as it can from person to person, right?

No? I see.

Holy poo poo dude really

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The desire to tell a good story does not always correlate with the ability to tell a good story.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Hell yea finally found the "D&D" campaign with a pack of dice.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

flatluigi posted:

Holy poo poo dude really

Tone seems appropriate to me.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Internet Wizard posted:

The desire to tell a good story does not always correlate with the ability to tell a good story.

I guess they did improve between 3 and 4. The Commonwealth was more relatable than the Capitol Wasteland. 3's setting tried silliness, and only sometimes landed. 4's setting had more heart.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Sorry, we all know the authority on Fallout is clearly MisterBibs,

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
It's just cos Bethesda are a bunch of charlatans

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Recently picked up Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove on the Switch, and holy poo poo there's a lot of little stuff that I forgot I love in this game, plus a bunch of added stuff in the update.

• The one-pixel duck that you get that's useful only in a single instance in the whole game, but lets you dance along to the music.
  • Being able to bust almost every checkpoint to get more money, at the cost of not getting that checkpoint again.
  • Butt Mode
  • In the update: being able to change everyone's outward gender, then having pronouns be separate of the appearance. Meaning you can have trans or gay or whatever characters you relate to the most.
  • In the Switch version: the amiibo function is no longer tied to co-op, but is now used for giving the single-player a tiny Shovel Knight fairy. It tries to pick up money and dig at dirt piles to zero effect. It's adorable as hell. :3:
  • Best part about the fairy: it mimics your ducking, meaning you can have both characters dance along to the music. :kimchi:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Wait what time is the duck useful?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Wait what time is the duck useful?

I think one major boss fight has an attack that hits the top pixel of your helm, but you can duck it?

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

I'm just thinking of during King Knight's stage when you encounter the first spell-caster. He's standing just high enough to clip you if you're standing normally, but if you duck, you're just short enough to dodge the fireball.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Internet Wizard posted:

Yeah, you can tell from Fallout 4 that if Bethesda took anything from New Vegas in their effort to improve their own product, it was that they should be telling a story people can get engaged with.

Unfortunately they're even worse at that than they are at writing a plot that's an excuse to get you to fight dragons or robots or whatever, because while New Vegas' main plotline aided the general game around it Fallout 4's damaged it in more ways than you can easily count.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
It's about posting the little things. I'm actually curious as to what brought 4's story/play up and down. I thought that by showing more attention to the towns and factions and encounters, 4 made me care about the main questline better than 3 did.

I also did not see the twist about the PC's son before hand, and that was an interesting conflict to set up if Nick or Nora was not into the Institute's ways.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Little things about games: horizon zero dawn and breath of the wild have such similar structure

But horizon loving NAILS the shrine equivalents, while I skipped through all the repeated dialogue in Zelda

I think horizon may be the better Zelda equivalent despite my rabid love of BOTW

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Caufman posted:

It's about posting the little things. I'm actually curious as to what brought 4's story/play up and down. I thought that by showing more attention to the towns and factions and encounters, 4 made me care about the main questline better than 3 did.

I also did not see the twist about the PC's son before hand, and that was an interesting conflict to set up if Nick or Nora was not into the Institute's ways.

I won't post much on it because you're right, but in brief: You know how the big thing everyone likes about Bethesda's games is that they're so open that you can play any character you want, and it's never an incorrect interpretation or direction to take the character?

Now, remember how your Fallout 4 protagonist is explicitly a straight married parent looking for your child, a fact that you get railroaded into expressing directly more times than I could count (and I actually was counting) in a dialog system that's even more restrictive than modern Bioware?

In happier topics, I've been really happy that Persona 5 has nailed the balance between difficulty and usability that Megaten's struggled with for a while now, giving you enough control over your kit to build it to your liking without ruining the feeling of compromise that's so important to the difficulty (SMTIV, for example, made getting an optimal build way too easy and so made the game too easy). But the biggest thing is that they offer three choices on game over that cater to different levels of how badly you just lost:
-Restart at the start of the battle you just lost (for 'okay I hosed that up, I'll try again')
-Restart at the last safe room (for 'I wasn't prepared for that, let me plan this out')
-Go back to the title screen (for 'I need to reload a whole other save' or 'my rear end just got kicked so hard I need to take a breather')

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I won't post much on it because you're right, but in brief: You know how the big thing everyone likes about Bethesda's games is that they're so open that you can play any character you want, and it's never an incorrect interpretation or direction to take the character?

Now, remember how your Fallout 4 protagonist is explicitly a straight married parent looking for your child, a fact that you get railroaded into expressing directly more times than I could count (and I actually was counting) in a dialog system that's even more restrictive than modern Bioware?

Ah, I see more clearly what you mean. Like 4 had less freedom for the player to decide (in the game or in their interpretation) the defining characteristics of the PC.

That's true. I did find that 4's parent in search of their biological son was more compellingly done than 3's child in search of their biological dad. But 4 made more explicit assumptions about your player character, tru

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
4 doesn't let you play as gay Doctor Who!!!

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

:mmmhmm:

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Surely that's just until the mod community steps in, right?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Very funny solid joke 10/10

Gitro
May 29, 2013
To balance out the complaining: I love how towards the end of NieR:A there's a room in the tower that's 1 for 1 the library in the first Nier. Even has the little side office and trophy room, and you still can't climb those goddamn ladders. When Devola and Popola show up to fight you get a slightly altered Song of the Ancients, with a cool 8bit version for the hacking. The pod sass is always fantastic, as is boar drifting.

There's a vendor in one of the DLC arenas that talks like a certain someone. She learned that that's how a merchant should talk from 'a relic of the ancient past' :3:

Oh yeah and the soundtrack is all very very good.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

Just beat Persona 5 last night, and I wasn't expecting to laugh my rear end off during the ending cutscene.

You're rolling down the highway in a van Makoto's driving, having a good time before you're sent back to your hometown. Haru says something along the lines of "Hey, my friend's having a problem, let's help her." Yusuke wants absolutely none of this and says in the most deadpan tone "I'm getting out" as he opens the car door. Everyone freaks out as Haru screams "We're on the highway!" My sides went into orbit because I've done the exact same thing in the exact same tone of voice so many times riding in my friends' cars.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

I think two posts between me making complaints about Fallout 4 (that are far from only held by me) until that one post I made two years ago comes back is a new record. At this rate I'm gonna have to start pre-empting it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
At least moan about it in the right loving thread.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

One of the really cool things about it is that it's a game that is relatively short to play through from beginning to end but is built to be played over and over...

...in a desperate attempt to survive.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
'Hey we have uh this Dinosaur Jungle level, think you could whip us up a song for it?'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg_CJ2KKlEA[

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I liked that Fallout 4 defined a bit about my character and their motivations before the start of the game, because it helped actually provide a reason for the character to go on that journey.

Fallout 3 tried to leave a lot up to the player but then so much of your character's story was either really bland to let as much as possible fit in, or potentially flat out didn't make sense.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I wouldn't have minded if Fallout 4's defining of my character didn't make him incredibly and brutally boring. New Vegas had the perfect blend of "this guy shot me in the head, I'm going to beat his rear end" motivation to do the plot, but didn't feel urgent like finding a missing family member, so you had an excuse to blunder into any empty building you want without taking away from the main quest.

I know "New Vegas is better than X" has been pretty beat to death already but man they really did do a bang up job for the most part.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Caufman posted:

No? I see.

4 outsold New Vegas so it obviously doesn't matter as much to most people.

Also New Vegas had the benefit of getting the gameplay engine and assets of a complete game to work with from day one and build off of while Bethesda had to start from scratch making all of the gameplay systems each time.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

4 outsold New Vegas so it obviously doesn't matter as much to most people.

Also New Vegas had the benefit of getting the gameplay engine and assets of a complete game to work with from day one and build off of while Bethesda had to start from scratch making all of the gameplay systems each time.

Selling more doesn't necessarily mean it was a better game or better liked by those who bought it.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
New Vegas also had the strength of being written by dudes that had written and understood Fallout. Even considering that it's weird that Bethesda would put such a familial tie into a game considering the origin story of the player character in Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Schneider Inside Her posted:

New Vegas also had the strength of being written by dudes that had written and understood Fallout. Even considering that it's weird that Bethesda would put such a familial tie into a game considering the origin story of the player character in Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim.

Maybe they just wanted to try something different for once?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
It tried to appeal to as wide an audience as possible, and did so in the laziest story way possible. Also some lovely minecraft/tower defense parts.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Just Offscreen posted:

It tried to appeal to as wide an audience as possible, and did so in the laziest story way possible. Also some lovely minecraft/tower defense parts.

That poo poo made me stop playing and never have any desire to pick it back up. It was just some bolted on garbage to make gameplay longer. I like the concept of building settlements, but that is not the way to do it for a game like that.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

If you want to make the settlement stuff more enjoyable then I very much recommend the Sim Settlements mod. It's an attempt to make the settlements more like Sim City where you just plop down RCI lots and the game automatically assigns settlers to lots.

It's a bit more complex than I'm making it sound, but I'm finding it making the settlement stuff a lot more fun than it was before (in that I'm actually interacting with the settlements, I ignored them almost completely before this mod).

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I was pretty hyped for Fallout 4 and I don't know if it lived up to that hype for me - but I did enjoy it and put like over 100+ hours into and I still really would like to finish it at least once.

It also has the best dog.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Bethesda aren't really under a lot of pressure to change, is the thing. They've got this market. It's basically them, Bioware, and Obsidian sometimes doing big Western-style RPGs. People aren't rushing out with Fallout clones trying to steal their thunder. So even if they look at New Vegas and say, "Hey, these guys have some good ideas," they can also say, "Well, we do things our way, and they do things their way, and we're selling more copies so gently caress off."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The stupid crafting and building in F4 ruined it. I will never play it again.