Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hifi
Jul 25, 2012

ispf is like a mud instead of a stupid cli thing. i'd love to work on one but you already need to be an expert to get your foot in the door. same thing with those goofy fintech programming languages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Sweevo posted:

every few years i think mainframes might be interesting to learn about and every time i get five minutes in before it turns into a hall of mirrors nightmare of impenetrable three-letter acronyms and weird non-standard terminology

VAX/VMS

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sweevo posted:

every few years i think mainframes might be interesting to learn about and every time i get five minutes in before it turns into a hall of mirrors nightmare of impenetrable three-letter acronyms and weird non-standard terminology

actually i think you'll find that s360 family computers have been around for far longer than micros and therefore it is the microcomputers that are nons-*chokes on own grey beard*

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

carry on then posted:

actually i think you'll find that s360 family computers have been around for far longer than micros and therefore it is the microcomputers that are nons-*chokes on own grey beard*

i like how all the IBM hardware pages on wikipedia read like advertising copy with endless praise for whichever watson was running the company when it was designed

Mac update: the powerplant tutorial books included with codewarrior have helped me get a quickdraw window up and running to draw in! now to figure out timed events and spinning a square at 60fps so i can have feature parity with the apple 2gs

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
ctps: if you are doing a java, guava fucken owns and you should probably be using it

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

carry on then posted:

we have these things called "files" now grandpa, i have no idea what a "dataset" is or why i have to CMK into the JEP to mount one before I can TBS it over to the PVK

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arcsech posted:

ctps: if you are doing a java, guava fucken owns and you should probably be using it

anything similar for C#? yesterday I was looking up immutable object updates and found a bunch of blog posts with bullshit I don't want to copy and paste into my project

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Arcsech posted:

ya most google java stuff owns a lot

guice, autovalue, autofactory are good too

jackson is objectively the best json library although that's not a google thing

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

guice is a dumb fuckin name

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Sapozhnik posted:

Gson is convenient for non performance critical areas though.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Bloody posted:

it is

the docs aren't great either

but once you get how it works it's pretty dece

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Flat Daddy posted:

anything similar for C#? yesterday I was looking up immutable object updates and found a bunch of blog posts with bullshit I don't want to copy and paste into my project

https://github.com/louthy/language-ext

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

luigi posting os9 screenshots is killing me because it looks 100x better than any modern os.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah beos also looks really nice and it would be great if that style of ui made a comeback

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
classic macos finder is still the only good file manager ever written

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

real mixed feelings about this. it's cool but like, f# exists if you really want to be a functional weenie in .net-land and at least then you're officially supported and in a community that's guaranteed to be into it.

(i know you're more than familiar with f# and this isn't news).

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

jony neuemonic posted:

real mixed feelings about this. it's cool but like, f# exists if you really want to be a functional weenie in .net-land and at least then you're officially supported and in a community that's guaranteed to be into it.

(i know you're more than familiar with f# and this isn't news).

broadly agree. sometimes you just want a convenient toolbox of utility functions to add to your project though

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Soricidus posted:

classic macos finder is still the only good file manager ever written

have you used Tracker in BeOS & Haiku?

it's basically the classic Mac Finder

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

:drac: I appear to have stumbled into this G++ feature:

https://www.zerotier.com/blog/2017-05-05-theleak.shtml

I went with TCMalloc instead of JEMalloc to resolve it though. I have the fortune to only experience it in production, so much awesome sauce.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

what did people use for "Mac" "gaming" in ye olden days

was everything just QuickDraw and homemade wrappers around QuickDraw API functions

Bonus QuickDraw GX/GameSprockets appearance as required

that window with a rectangle and a dot is just overriding default behavior of a PowerPlant pane to do some QD stuff

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 9, 2017

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Luigi Thirty posted:

was everything just QuickDraw and homemade wrappers around QuickDraw API functions

that window with a rectangle and a dot is just overriding default behavior of a PowerPlant pane to do some QD stuff

the only game I can even think of is escape velocity nova

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

leper khan posted:

the only game I can even think of is escape velocity nova

escape velocity
escape velocity override

marathon

uhhhhh

escape velocity had a cool modding scene though because everything editable was implemented as a Resource

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
dangerous dave

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
marathon!

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

Arcsech posted:

or just use java 8

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Pie Colony posted:

or just use java 8

or just don't use java because anything else is better

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Luigi Thirty posted:

escape velocity
escape velocity override

marathon

uhhhhh

escape velocity had a cool modding scene though because everything editable was implemented as a Resource

this was good fun when you wanted to use mods with the windows version, because you'd unzip them and they'd be zero bytes because the file system didn't actually support resource forks

you had to use a special tool that you found on a sketchy forum somewhere to extract it into the format that the windows version expected

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
spectre vr

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Luigi Thirty posted:

oh no, people would create a full-screen window for the main screen, get its GWorld, and do direct pixel manipulation and blitting (including avoiding CopyBits); the DrawSprocket component in GameSprockets encapsulated this in a way that also handled resolution switching, blanking other displays, and so on

John Calhoun put a bit of his old code on GitHub, including the source for Pararena 2

the book "Tips of the Mac Game Programming Gurus" had a lot of good details about the mechanics of creating a Mac game

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

i see. I will have to look up all that source code and mess with GWorlds (I know they're offscreen pixel buffers but not how you use them) but I'm having fun drawing into a QuickDraw window atm

whipped up a wrapper around a std::vector<Point> and hey look, little 2D shapes

also, postin' from Classilla 9.3.3 on Mac OS 9.2.2, it doesn't mangle the forums css too badly

e: wow it's literally one field and a few lines of code and i can draw to an offscreen buffer. no wonder everyone used codewarrior

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 9, 2017

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

akadajet posted:

or just don't use java because anything else is better

oh my sweet summer child

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Pie Colony posted:

or just use java 8

we do use java 8, guava is still v useful

Sapozhnik posted:

ya most google java stuff owns a lot

guice, autovalue, autofactory are good too

guice is also quite nice. haven't used either of the others

Jackson is pretty great although sometimes it fights with Lombok and that's real annoying

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Bloody posted:

also this is correct

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

any reason other than. "oracle" as to why shitload of db tools are jvm?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

i couldn't find good animated gif software so here's me VNCing into my iMac now that I've figured out A) how to double-buffer drawing with GWorld (it's like five extra lines in PowerPlant h*ll yes) and B) rotate a filled polygon using my wrapper class.

due to :effort:/lack of understanding I just hooked it up so it rotates 1 degree on every application event loop. runs at ~45 updates per second, lol

so i can position and rotate 2D shapes on a plane. nice

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jun 9, 2017

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

gnnnnnnnn stipples and single pixel lines

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

java is the new cobol, the boring business language used to by everyone to make the boring business things work

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Solaris, Linux, and Windows, it was much worse before Java.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
anyone think bill gates still knows how to code? even visual basic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Brain Candy posted:

java is the new cobol, the boring business language used to by everyone to make the boring business things work

except that java is actually a good language with a thriving ecosystem and libraries to do all kinds of things both boring and otherwise

shame it didn't get good till about 10 years after all the trendfollowers wrote it off as the new cobol

• Locked thread