Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Forktoss posted:

Nice to hear someone's as lame as me

See now I get it, he was threatening to use the Oubliette of Eternity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember an issue of DWM in 2005 which summarised the nine year career of the Eighth Doctor. It had this table which broke down his companions, villains, adventures etc. across the three media he appeared in (audio plays, comic strips, novels) and for audio it had: "THE DOCTOR FIGHTS: Zagreus, ancient Time Lord fairytale monster; WHO LOSES BECAUSE: All he actually does is shout his own name a lot".

I think the novel one was THE DOCTOR FIGHTS: Sabbath; WHO LOSES BECAUSE: He's bad at heart transplants" or something funny like that.

(Granted, this is a magazine I read when I was 13 so I probably have a less than perfect recollection.)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMRyb0v51Ys
Gatiss introduces Empress of Mars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoeMayAm5Dc
Gatiss and Moffat talk about EoM

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CommonShore posted:

This must be one of the challenges of writing major destructive/conquering villains for the series - how do they measure against Dalek perfection? If they're more dangerous than the Daleks, why haven't they been a major threat until now? If they're less dangerous, then how can they challenge The Doctor?

This was basically every villain in the NAs. "They're more powerful than the Daleks! They can wipe out a whole fleet with a single thought!"

(Because Virgin couldn't get the rights to the Daleks and decided to be really childish about it.)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Done my civic bit and voted today.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Davros1 posted:

This was basically every villain in the NAs. "They're more powerful than the Daleks! They can wipe out a whole fleet with a single thought!"

(Because Virgin couldn't get the rights to the Daleks and decided to be really childish about it.)

Not that they didn't still try to work around the issue.

I remember one of the writers (Craig Hinton, in GodEngine, I think) worked out that they usage rites prohibited the use of the Dalek name and casing, but not the actual mutant creatures themselves. -- so he wrote a story where the slimy bastards go hogwild on a bunch of Ice Warriors in the lead up to their invasion of Earth.

And remnant Dalek technology drives the plot of Kate Orman's Return Of The Living Dad -- along with a friendly Auton spatula, who saves the day by murdering the poo poo out of a Nazi.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CobiWann posted:

Happy birthday to Colin Baker!

Abbyshot are doing his cat lapel pin for 50% off today!

https://www.abbyshot.com/products/sixth-doctors-cat-lapel-pin

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

CommonShore posted:

This must be one of the challenges of writing major destructive/conquering villains for the series - how do they measure against Dalek perfection? If they're more dangerous than the Daleks, why haven't they been a major threat until now? If they're less dangerous, then how can they challenge The Doctor?

Since the Doctor outsmarts rather than overpowers his opponents, it doesn't matter how much raw power the baddies have, so long as it's "more than you've got, puny earthlings". It's not about providing a bigger challenge, so much as a different one.

Cybermen are still around even though we've been told multiple times that they're straight up crap compared to the Daleks. When written well, they act different, think different and have different weaknesses, being emotion-hating survivalists to the Daleks' omnicidal lunatics. At the very least, the baddie lineup is different window dressing to the Doctor being clever and moral at things.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Murderion posted:

Since the Doctor outsmarts rather than overpowers his opponents, it doesn't matter how much raw power the baddies have, so long as it's "more than you've got, puny earthlings". It's not about providing a bigger challenge, so much as a different one.

Cybermen are still around even though we've been told multiple times that they're straight up crap compared to the Daleks. When written well, they act different, think different and have different weaknesses, being emotion-hating survivalists to the Daleks' omnicidal lunatics. At the very least, the baddie lineup is different window dressing to the Doctor being clever and moral at things.

It's too bad that outside of the audios the last time the Cybermen were written well was in the second Doctor's run.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

remusclaw posted:

It's too bad that outside of the audios the last time the Cybermen were written well was in the second Doctor's run.

I've always enjoyed the observation that if the Cybermen don't perceive you as a threat, a danger, or something of value or use to their plans, they could conceivable leave you alone.

Meanwhile the Daleks exterminate a bunch of rats in a cage in Daleks' Masterplan because "gently caress them".

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Davros1 posted:

I've always enjoyed the observation that if the Cybermen don't perceive you as a threat, a danger, or something of value or use to their plans, they could conceivable leave you alone.

One thing I've always wanted to see is a story where the Cybermen are on the offensive and then the moment they've taken enough territory to feel their SURVIVAL is no longer threatened they just.... stop. No communication, no threats etc, they just lose all interest or motivation to fight and just stand there existing. Why? Because they MUZZZZZT!

Davros1 posted:

Meanwhile the Daleks exterminate a bunch of rats in a cage in Daleks' Masterplan because "gently caress them".

To be fair, that is perfect Dalek characterization. Those rats were an offense to Dalek purity because they weren't Daleks!

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, I know who that is.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jun 9, 2017

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The Doctor, levitating amid angelic light as the Master cowers: "Tell me Jeremy Corbyn is unelectable now,

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

2house2fly posted:

The Doctor, levitating amid angelic light as the Master cowers: "Tell me Jeremy Corbyn is unelectable now,

I get my news from the weirdest places.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Kudos for doing your part in sticking it to that new, scarier Happiness Patrol lady.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Kudos for doing your part in sticking it to that new, scarier Happiness Patrol lady.

The Strong and Stable Patrol

grim`
May 6, 2004

there's no lies to the game of eyes
D. Jones uses Long-Haired Boys' Club ruse to infiltrate studio in search of soon-to-be missing serials, 1964

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

grim` posted:

D. Jones uses Long-Haired Boys' Club ruse to infiltrate studio in search of soon-to-be missing serials, 1964

Did he leave his sweet velvet jacket there to be discovered by Pertwee?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

One thing I've always wanted to see is a story where the Cybermen are on the offensive and then the moment they've taken enough territory to feel their SURVIVAL is longer threatened they just.... stop. No communication, no threats etc, they just lose all interest or motivation to fight and just stand there existing. Why? Because they MUZZZZZT!

The one image I've always wanted to see was the Doctor and friends coming upon a battlefield, and in it are hordes of Weeping Angels, with a Cyberman standing before each one, resulting in an eternal stalemate.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Davros1 posted:

The one image I've always wanted to see was the Doctor and friends coming upon a battlefield, and in it are hordes of Weeping Angels, with a Cyberman standing before each one, resulting in an eternal stalemate.

For the Angels, it's hell. For the Cybermen.... it's Tuesday.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I suppose I'm pretty happy with the election result - I think it will give us in Northern Ireland a much more meaningful voice in the country at large than we had before.

Edit: News just in and it looks like I'm right!

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jun 9, 2017

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I suppose I'm pretty happy with the election result - I think it will give us in Northern Ireland a much more meaningful voice in the country at large than we had before.

Edit: News just in and it looks like I'm right!

Downside is they're a bunch of really right wing homophobic creationists.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AH6HCb7-nw

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good sonic at your side, kid."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I'm actually looking forward to this one. :dance:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

Downside is they're a bunch of really right wing homophobic creationists.

Haha, I live in the one constituency here where the MP isn't with either the terrorists or the homophobes.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Wheat Loaf posted:

Haha, I live in the one constituency here where the MP isn't with either the terrorists or the homophobes.

Now now. The homophobes used to be terrorists too.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fil5000 posted:

Now now. The homophobes used to be terrorists too.

Haha, true enough. :D

But seriously folks, the DUP are the worst party in parliament. :(

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It at least seems like this is a political version of a situation where the normal Daleks and the ones still loyal to Davros are going to have to try to form a coalition to do anything, and that the normal ones are about as recalcitrant as Daleks get, so a coalition is unlikely.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

It at least seems like this is a political version of a situation where the normal Daleks and the ones still loyal to Davros are going to have to try to form a coalition to do anything, and that the normal ones are about as recalcitrant as Daleks get, so a coalition is unlikely.

No, it's more like a situation where the normal Daleks need to form a coalition with the ones they'd put on the asylum planet.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That loopy prophet Dalek from the RTD years, except painted bright orange.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Anyway, I quite liked the new episode preview but am expecting to be disappointed.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Anyway, I quite liked the new episode preview but am expecting to be disappointed.

Oh absolutely. It is Gatiss, after all.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've generally had fun with Gatiss's episodes over the past 10 years (even silly ones that weren't usually so well-received like "Victory of the Daleks" and "Robot of Sherwood"), but I think there's usually, though not always, something about them that doesn't quite click. :shrug:

The best thing he's done with Doctor Who is probably "An Adventure In Space and Time".

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Moffat looks back on "Blink"

Steven Moffat posted:

Despite the deafening applause right now for Bill Potts and Missy, I do seem to be under a fair amount of attack for my female characters - come back and save me, Lynda Day - and while there’s no probably no smoke without fire, can I put my head on the block and say I think I wrote Sally rather well? The line “sad is happy for deep people” may be a bit (as in very) smartarse, but it sums her up perfectly. The slightly detached, melancholy girl, in love with the past - forgive me, but I do think I nailed that.

I enjoyed Blink back when I watched it during my initial Doctor Who marathon a few years ago
Watched it again last year after having caught up and still enjoyed it

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

With Gatiss I always just go in not expecting it to be stellar but just to be good, wacky fun, and that works out most of the time. The rest of the time you get the eye booger monsters.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Bicyclops posted:

With Gatiss I always just go in not expecting it to be stellar but just to be good, wacky fun, and that works out most of the time. The rest of the time you get the eye booger monsters.

I can find something redeeming about most of his episodes. That one really was just awful, though. Particularly since it came right after the abhorrent Zygon two-parter and the tone-deaf Ashildr two-parter.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Vinylshadow posted:

Moffat looks back on "Blink"

I enjoyed Blink back when I watched it during my initial Doctor Who marathon a few years ago
Watched it again last year after having caught up and still enjoyed it

Funny thing, I sat down and made a list of my ten favourite Moffat episodes, and I decided Blink wouldn't actually end up on there. I wouldn't mind him looking back on a few more of his episodes, since he basically clammed up after series 6

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I think Blink is a very good piece of science fiction and merely an okay Doctor Who episode.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I still like Blink. It's... probably in my top 10 Moffat episodes? I'd have to think. The premiere and finale of season 5 are definitely up there, along with Heaven Sent and probably the 50th. I know Listen is controversial, but it's also one of my favorites.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

I know Listen is controversial, but it's also one of my favorites.

It's cool, I'm the one person in the world who actually really liked Deep Breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The first half of Deep Breath didn't land for me but the second half totally did. I was weirded out when I saw people saying they didn't feel Capaldi because his character wasn't defined until the second series because, uh, are you kidding:

• Locked thread