Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuuka Ayase
Apr 25, 2017

Literally Hitler
I'll use my Sicario Space Gun build as an example of.. build methodology? Would that be the right term? I've learned a lot of different things, through the same method of thinking, over the last few weeks. This build combines a whole lot of those ideas in to one build. I feel this makes it the best example of how I approach builds.
http://pd2tools.com/l/889d22c5fd5ffbd24c7b950fd76ba897

It's a space gun build because the Judge is slapped with mods that make it look like a silly future gun, and does more damage than any realistic weapon this size and make should do. That brings us to our first, and most important factor. Min Maxing is not about creating the most powerful build. It's about a method of making your character (in any game) in a way that lets you do WHAT YOU WANT while still remaining effective. You take a random concept, even a silly one, and figure out the best way to make it efficient at what it does. The idea behind this build was to make the judge look like some silly space gun and use it. That's it. Motives revolving around simply making the most OP build usually go wrong, as approaching a build from the standpoint of 'more power!' often has one shoving contradictory factors in to the same build for the simple sake of having 'more'. I consider this the most important aspect to grasp. This isn't about power. This is about enabling yourself to take any lovely half assed idea and turn it in to something fun. The question you should ask isn't 'why'. It's 'why not'. Chairface has his loud burglar builds optimized for actual use. Why? Why not? He wanted to do it, so he made the concept as good as it could possibly be. You don't make the best build. You make the best build for you.

So what did I need for a space gun build? I need defense, I need damage, and I need ammo to cover the judge's low pickup. From here you don't ask what you need but WHY you need it. Then shave that down till you answer the question in the most bare, basic, and essential manner possible. I need defense cause I don't want to die. I don't just need defense. I merely need to not die. This kind of distinction becomes more obviously important when we move to damage. I don't need MORE damage. I need enough to make each shot efficient. The judge is very near the DW Tan headshot barrier, and the judge is a low shot output weapon. I don't need as much damage as possible. I need as much damage to meet that point so trash spawns don't slow me down or waste my shots. Similarly, I merely need ammo cause the judge's pickup rate isn't so great. I don't need infinite ammo or even better pickup, necessarily. I just need ammo readily available.

You fulfill the most basic requirements in the most bare manner you can manage. Then see what you have left. Whatever points are spare are yours to play with. Do whatever you want with. This is freedom. Once you've answered your most basic requirements, the pressure is off. You don't need anything else so you can do whatever you want with the remaining points.

http://pd2tools.com/l/b36d24cb851823f813cf1d6328afa72c

From that mindset, we end up here. I'll explain these choices in more detail later. I have 28 points left, and this build is already considered fully functional as is. Twenty Eight is quite a large number of points to make any inconsequential decisions you want. That's enough to achieve basic status in the top skill in any one tree, or fill out a lot of lower one, or keep filling out my existing trees (as is seen in the first link).

Ammo is easy. As nice as filling out a full ammo tree would be, strictly speaking I only NEED ammo bags. So bring ammo bags. Bigger pool and pickup would be fantastic, but investing that far YET is getting ahead of ourselves. We only 'need' the access to ammo. The saw is more a personal choice, as I like my ammo builds to double as optional saw builds. If a saw is really that useful, I can just swap to a primary shotgun and secondary saw with the same build.

Damage will be the easier thing to explain than defense, so I'll start there. The judge has a high base damage, but like most guns it's not quite enough to hit the magic number for headshotting tans on DW. Given its' a shotgun, and the simple presence of Overkill, usual logic says a shotgunner should aim for that. Lets ask ourselves again. Why do we need this damage? Not to simply have more, as nice as that is. Getting overkill solves this issue, but it has many opportunity costs. The first is the investment simply to unlock it. The next is to activate it, or keep it activated, all heist long. Putting you in situations where you can't necessarily count on your total damage to do what you think it should be doing. Overkill is giving us more damage than we need for our specific shotgun (as a note, overkill is best suited to low damage but spammy shotguns) as well. That's just wasted given all the opportunity cost behind it. The overflow damage won't help in most situations. So what we do instead is invest in specialized killing, shotgun impact, and underdog basic. So long as underdog basic is active, you have hit the threshold you want. This power is very easy to keep active, and will be active in 90% of situations in which you face a legitimate threat. Anything at greater than 18 meters is much less an immediate threat. Not to mention this spread of points is cheaper than reaching Overkill Basic. With the additional benefit that specialized killing works with ALL silencers. Note the choice of my primary. This perfectly suits the work you actually need to do and leaves you with far more spare than simply glutting yourself on having as much shotgun damage as possible.

Sicario's defensive workings are a bit funny and harder to explain, but the setup here is a result of experimentation to see what kind of bare minimum value I could achieve while also being more or less totally safe in most situations. This is the result of more trial and error than brilliance, but I stuck to my methodology. Simply accumulating more of something doesn't make it better. Why do we need it? To survive. There are many choices to help one survive. Sicario is a dodge deck, but simply accumulating dodge is not necessarily efficient or the most helpful. Concealment issues also limit weapon choices, and create more opportunity costs to cover up concealment issues. The simple act of desiring dodge causes more and more issues. So we simply ignore dodge and accept whatever happens. We still need to not die. Solution one becomes LBV. So fill in the tank tree in the most basic manner suitable to LBV possible. This barely qualifies you for iron man basic with little frills. Perfect. 91 armor at minimal point cost. If we want more here, we'll come back alter once our basic needs are filled. This is a bit slim though. We still have 10 dodge in LBV, and with minimal cost we can make the most of it. Investing in sprinting dodge and better sprinting lets you GTFO of a bad situation. That's 20 dodge while sprinting in LBV where any one dodge gives you back 91 armor. That's incredibly good.

From here we hit a bit of a stumbling block. Sicario can feel a bit slim in it's stock state even when optimizing around LBV. Sicario manages by sacrificing tiny flecks of health at a time. Getting back full armor once it's lost a little hp. Sicario is very good at this and can truck on a while, but it's not a sustainable system. Simply investing in more dodge merely delays this issue (at a huge point cost at that). Reverting to suit sicario and investing in even more dodge doesn't fix this issue (suit sicario being worse than LBV in every way). We don't have any good options left, but we can think sideways. Jokers. Don't look at jokers as minions to kill for you, they suck at that. Look at them as a defensive opportunity. By having even one joker you can gain total health, move speed, and an additional opportunity to invest in regeneration. Hostage taker aced is quite a cost (both in itself and to reach it), but we're gaining FAR MORE than we would as a pure dodge build. Min maxing isn't just shaving points. It's making sure the big spending is worth it. Sicario is perhaps the deck that synergizes the BEST with Hostage Taker. It's slow health bleedout makes it a perfect target for occasional regen ticks and bigger health pool. If there was ever a time to make hostage taker aced be worth taking, it's here. You can still take big risks like a pure dodge player, but you won't die to simple attrition over the course of the heist. You've spent a lot but also gained a lot.

From here, one truth reveals itself. If all you want a joker for is the defensive benefits, you don't need two. Taking two jokers is a more expensive way to qualify for hostage taker than simply acing joker itself. The dumb shits will probably get stuck somewhere and waste any offensive potential they have anyway. Two jokers would be much better than one still, but we're trying to minimize point loss for our needs. Not simply gain more of something. We're meeting our needs in a minimalist manner. Two jokers is the kind of thing one should spend their spare points on once basic needs are settled.

Finally, the most basic question I've been ignoring. Why sicario? There is nothing about sicario that makes it better with the skeleton of the space gun judge choices. So why? Because I wanted to. Remember the most important precept of minmaxing. It's to make your whim a viable outcome. Not to simply build the most powerful build you can. I used sicario because I could, and if I am going to use it I might as well make it work for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Aww man, now I'm all inspired to do my own effortpost.

I'd gotten a long way playing like most goons, with the usual set of Muscle Masterforcer builds built around acing inspire and iron man for ictv and then using whatever weapons since that Dummies' Delight Muscle/Masterforcer setup leaves lots of room to dick around with whatever.

One day while playing with Common Sensei, he did a number of things I initially found strange; He played as the Maniac deck, which was considered bad, and brought turrets, which were also considered bad. The combo of the two, however, was not just very good, but good for the whole team. With the constant hysteria stacks giving ablative damage reduction teamwide, we all felt nearly invulnerable while he just patrolled amongst his turrets, replacing/reloading them as necessary. This experience started me down the road of optimizing builds not for a heister, but for a heist TEAM.

Enter Fuuka, Ark in Black, and others who've helped me develop the concept, and we get, The Crystal Gem Thieves:

1. The Crew Chief. This is the basic model Crew Chief, built around using a silenced Little Friend and a silenced Street Sweeper. The Crew Chief provides the entire group with 8% teamwide damage reduction, another 8% teamwide damage reduction if the team has 1+ hostages, and bonus health and stamina that scales for up to 4 hostages. Variants using both doctor bags and ammo bags are presented. The Crew Chief's greatest asset to a team is simply existing; of secondary importance is that hostages are taken, both for use as jokers and to add a second teamwide damage reduction bonus. That the Crew Chief need not be the most combat-oriented player in the group also makes this a logical build slot for Drill Skills in many cases. The basic model is built around 2x fully upgraded Doctor Bags and Inspire has 2 99% damage-resistant Jokers and basic Hostage Taker for automatic healing as long as a joker and/or 1+ hostages are in play.

Alternate Crew Chiefs:
A. One Down Conservachief. By dropping the shotgun skills of the basic model and switching to a silenced Little Friend and silenced UZI, the Crew Chief adds essential-for-One-Down Aced Nine Lives as well as the various speed-improving drill skills. Still taking 2x fully upgraded Doctor bags and Inspire, and retaining the 2 99% damage-resistant Jokers and basic Hostage Taker for automatic healing as long as a joker and/or 1+ hostages are in play.

B. Frenzy Chief. Going all-in on damage reduction as a strategy, this version omits Inspire & Doctor bags, bringing ammo bags instead. Silencer skills and basic Shock & Awe are also omitted to make room for the Aced Berzerker-Frenzy package. The end result is 8% teamwide damage reduction, 16% effectively for the Crew Chief himself (due to always receiving the double bonus for low hp) with another 8% if 1+ hostages are in play, and 25% damage reduction for the Aced Frenzy. The way multiplicative damage reduction works this amounts to slightly better than 42% damage reduction for the Frenzy Chief. Having dropped the silencer skills to free up points, loud versions of the Little Friend and Street Sweeper are swapped in. 2x fully upgraded Ammo Bags serve as the deployable and the 2 99% damage-resistant jokers remain.

C. Mix Chief. Taking a bit from each of the previous chiefs, this version uses the same non-silenced weapons as the Frenzy Chief, but has used the points saved from the silencer skills to bring the One-Down version's drill speed enhancements. This uses the Frenzy Chief's loud Little Friend and Street Sweeper. 2x fully upgraded Doctor Bags serve as the deployable, Inspire is included, as are 2 99% damage resistant jokers and Hostage Taker for automatic healing as long as a joker and/or 1+ hostages are in play.

D. Chief Machinegun'em. Dropping down to HBV from the ICTV of other options, this Crew Chief also omits the doctor bags and Inspire to focus instead on ammo & offensive weaponry. Carrying a silenced KSP tuned to the key OVK breakpoint of 44.4 and with Aced Body Expertise, this Crew Chief one-shots regular SWATs on OVK and two-shots tans through their body armor. An Arbiter secondary allows easy dismissal of Shields, Snipers, Turret Shields and Dozer Faceplates. 2x fully upgraded Ammo Bags serve as the deployable, and the 2 99% damage resistant jokers with Hostage Taker for automatic healing as long as a joker and/or 1+ hostages are in play also remain.

2. The Gambler. Second only to the Crew Chief's teamwide damage reduction buffs are the Gambler's teamwide health and ammo restore abilities. Making the most of Gambler requires using a HUD mod to see the cooldown on the ammo pickup teamwide effects, metering picking up ammo boxes to ensure the team gets maximum benefit. Many builds that don't have their own built-in healing (like the Crew Chiefs above, who all must rely on Hostage Taker for hp restore normally) benefit a great deal from having a Gambler around either replacing or supplementing skill-based or deployable health restore methods. The basic model Gambler wears HBV to retain high speed and capability to dash out and grab ammo boxes under adverse conditions, Aces Fully Loaded so grenades are also restored by ammo pickups, and makes liberal use of both jokers and concussion grenades as cover for forays out into the line of fire to grab health and ammo for his team. All of the Gamblers presented will bring 2x fully upgraded ammo bags, which combined with the Gambler's teamwide ammo pickup procs, readily supply even the hungriest of teams with ample ammunition single-handedly. Acing Fully Loaded so that grenades are restored by ammo pickups is also essential, as the Gambler will need to use concussion grenades as distractions when performing pickups under fire. Most Gamblers also utilize Jokers as additional distractions. A Gambler does not need Hostage Taker to restore health, as much like his entire team, he will regain health from ammo pickups made by the Gambler. The basic Gambler presented uses a full-auto modded silenced Steakout and an Arbiter, much like the Heavy Shotgambler below.

Alternate Gamblers:

A. One Down Shotgambler. Using a weapons loadout that should be familiar from the Frenzy Chief and Mix Chief, of a loud Little Friend and Street Sweeper, the One Down Shotgambler has spare points for the One Down-essential Aced Nine Lives, retains the 2 99% damage-reduction Jokers, 2x fully upgraded ammo bags, Aced Fully Loaded, Aced Scavenger, and throws in basic Hostage Taker for even more health restore as well as upgrading armor to ICTV, as One Down is a harsh and unforgiving place.

B. Mix Gambler. Very similar to the One Down version, this Gambler uses the same weaponry, but omits aced Nine Lives and basic hostage taker, the savings are used on speed-enhancing drill skills and other minor Quality of Life improvements. 2x fully upgraded ammo bags are the ever-present "Gambler's Deployable" and 2 99% damage-resistant Jokers help keep cops busy. Much like the One Down version, armor has been increased to ICTV.

C. Gunslinger Gambler. Sticking with HBV, this Gambler relies on akimbo Crosskills and a secondary Arbiter as his implements of destruction. 2x fully upgraded ammo bags and 2 99% damage-resistant jokers are both retained.

D. Heavy Gunslinger Gambler. Very similar to the Gunslinger Gambler, this retains the same armament, but upgrades the armor to ICTV. 2x fully upgraded ammo bags and 2 99% damage-resistant jokers are both retained.

E. Heavy Shotgambler. With a full auto-modded silenced Steakout and an Arbiter, while wearing ICTV, this Shotgambler is ready to bring the pain. 2x fully upgraded ammo bags and 2 99% damage-resistant jokers are both retained.

F. Shotcrit Gambler. While many of these modifications involve trading the HBV for ICTV, this Shotgambler instead trades down to LBV and ditches the Jokers. 91 armor and 5 standing dodge seems flimsy on paper, but in practice with a Crew Chief around and an auto-modded silenced Izhma with crits ready to create walls of 000 to hide behind, it winds up surprisingly durable. A silenced 5/7 allows engagement of Shields and Snipers. The 2x fully upgraded ammo bags are retained, but the jokers are entirely omitted to free up points for dodging and crits as well as shotgun skills.

3. The Turret Maniac. A variation on the build that started me down this road, this guy has 4 turrets and 2 silenced turrets, paired with a JP36 and Blaster SMG to grant sufficient pickup to keep the lot of them fed. Turret damage counts towards Maniac Hysteria stack procs, thus providing teamwide ablative damage resistance. When combined with the durable teamwide damage resistance of a Crew Chief and with a Gambler to provide teamwide health and ammo restore (both are of great utility to the Turret Maniac) the Turret Maniac has free reign to live up to his name. All presented Maniacs wear ICTV.

Alternative Maniacs:

A. The Mad Bomber. Turrets do impressive damage-over-time, but for shorter missions tripmine fire traps are also an option. With 2 99% damage resistant Jokers and the familiar silenced Little Friend and Street Sweeper pairing, the Mad Bomber has combat capabilities beyond the fire traps.

B. Molotov Shotgunner. Turrets, tripmines, to hell with that brainiac poo poo, sometimes you just wanna murder folks with a shotgun and throw molotovs. A silenced Steakout and Arbiter allow engagement of all relevant threats, Aced Fully loaded combined with molotovs provides an alternative to fire traps or turrets for sustained damage-over-time when not personally blasting away. 2x fully upgraded ammo bags and 2 99% damage resistant jokers with Hostage Taker for automatic healing as long as a joker and/or 1+ hostages are in play round out the arsenal.

4. The Fourth Slot. Is it you we're looking for? The Fourth Slot isn't as nailed down as the other Crystal Gem Thief components. Ark In Black has provided great team utility as a Kingpin, announcing his use of the injector to alert the rest of the team when all available police will be firing on an invulnerable drug-fueled madman instead of fighting back against the rest of us. My example Kingpin is built around HBV, 2x fully upgraded doctor bags, Inspire and having 2 99% damage-resistant jokers, while wielding the familiar silenced Little Friend + Street Sweeper combo. IIRC Ark's wears a suit only and relies entirely on health-tanking threats and going into a drug-fueled psychosis when that fails.

Other notable options, Fuuka presents her Sicario above, I have two here: Sicario bringing his smoke grenade to the Teamwork Party, as well as the familiar 2 99% damage resistant jokers. For weapons this build uses a conceal-modded CAR-4 and 5/7, with dodge and crit skills to supplement the LBV protection. The same arsenal and general setup is repeated for my One Down Sicario with the main difference being the omission of Aced Silent Killer to free up points for One Down-essential Aced Nine Lives.

We've also been experimenting with a 2nd Gambler in the fourth slot, or just a combat build (Crook? Sicario? Anarchist?) set up with the assumption that its health restore and ammo needs will be provided for, along with teamwide damage reduction and stamina/health buffs.

chairface fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 7, 2017

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

chairface posted:

IIRC Ark's wears a suit only and relies entirely on health-tanking threats and going into a drug-fueled psychosis when that fails.

Ladies all the time be asking me, ArkInBlack, why the hell are you wearing a suit? And I say, ladies, ladies, just gimme a chance to do a hip hop dance.

Okay, here's the nitty-gritty. When you can lock your minimum HP total to 50% of your max, why invest at all in armor? Sure there's the cooldown of the Injector but you're packing more than five hundred hit points. Rather than be able to soak more fire from the cops, why not layer 15%/25% dodge on top of that chuft. Sprinkle on Bull's Eye basic and you can abuse armorgating like a dodge deck and disregard the hits that get through because you have so much HP. That's regen'ing 4% every 5 seconds. Like Fuuka describes, HP Regen and Dodge go together to make sweet harmony. Here, rather than getting back 91 HP every dodge, you're just soaking the hits because you have five hundred and change health. Now, you're going for Sneaky Bastard. Why not get crits? Now any problem can be assessed in "how long will it take for me to crit enough?" measurements. Well, when you have on demand six second invincibility, you can tack on an extra six seconds. Two skulldozers? Run in, start shooting until they turn around to take offence and then show them just how many bullets it'll take to get to the downed center of a heister.

And if you run into trouble without having drugs at the ready? Play conservatively while the drug's on cooldown ya dingus You're more than fast enough to leave, you'll have proc'd Second Wind off the cops trying to kill you and going straight to ludicrous speed and finding yourself on the other end of the map in the time it takes for the cops to decide to fire at you again. You can't bully past all those cops for some reason? Drop a FAK and stand your ground and make the cops chew through five hundred more dodge covered hitpoints, now with 10% DR! Maybe more as if your jokers haven't decided to go on strike in a corner of the map they've caught up to you.

Yep, First Aid Kits with all the fixin's. As long as someone's got Doc Bags covered, bring the good stuff. Each FAK is another 500 HP the cops have to deal with if you use 'em, and you don't even need to stop shooting to use 'em if you can space dying out right, which, you have the Injector. You of all people have the easiest time surviving because with 500 HP, Dodge, Hostage Taker Aced you have enough sustain before anyone else gets involved and the Injector is the single best short term survival in PAYDAY 2. Nothing beats "I stop taking damage for six seconds". Not Anarchist, not Sicario, not Grinder.

Further, when you communicate that you're using the injector that's more than "making yourself immortal", it's "negating all damage to the entire crew". Proper kingpin use gives you six seconds where you take no damage and all three of your teammates are completely unhindered by the cops. The cops are shooting you, the invincible rear end in a top hat spraying bullets wildly. Use it proactively and just shut down every cop on the map ceases to contribute to murdering criminals as four heisters get to unload in the safest conditions while loud. Use it to dive into a mosh pit, Inspire someone up and they'll be unshot as every cop makes it their mission to dare to say no to drugs. Maybe you go down, but you can pick where you die and if you communicate the remaining cooldown on the injector? You can get Inspire'd up and immediately get a six second period where cops shooting you just gives you HP back as you once again are an immortal bullet magnet.

Which is all talking around why I really use the Suit over anything else. In the end, it's crits. I like crits. I love crits. I cannot crit enough, please Wilko fix Unseen Strike aced I wish to ascend to Critvana. And while Muscle was an adventure in what dumb stuff can I do with Muscle, which Fuuka covered the 'why' on that pretty well, Suit Kingpin is even better because it takes half the passive recovery and random crowd control and trades it for the Injector.

In the end, stacking damage resistance or HP regen is okay, dodge is fine especially when paired with a way to cheat armor back and/or with HP regen, but all chance-based and delayed effects pale in comparison to being able to stick yourself with a drug cocktail and reaching heaven through violence. And I'd rather be a fast invincible rear end in a top hat than have like 100-200 more damage buffer that isn't even HP affected by the injector. Pop culture reference.

ArkInBlack fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jun 7, 2017

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

maswastaken posted:

Throw literally all the damage skills at it and it even becomes able to 2-shot a One Down heavy. It only costs either your survivability or anything resembling being a team player.

This is pretty much my go-to build for face melting: http://pd2tools.com/l/3771395a8d8bbd28bce7a8ae0cdf9102

Shotgun damage skills, Silencer Skills, and Berserker Aced. Managed to fit in Inspire Basic for some sort of team support.

Weapons are the Izhma 12G Shotgun with silencer, all the concealment equipment (Need Gage Spec Ops Pack), and a Concealment Boost. Then a Judge for Shield busting w/ Concealment Boost.

This build is all over the place. It's combined dodge with Frenzy + Anarchist. I've gotten some real WTF moments from people when I explained this build to them but I've been able to do some One Down heists with it. Deathwish and below is straightfoward - Click the Police.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TopHatGenius posted:

This is pretty much my go-to build for face melting: http://pd2tools.com/l/3771395a8d8bbd28bce7a8ae0cdf9102

Shotgun damage skills, Silencer Skills, and Berserker Aced. Managed to fit in Inspire Basic for some sort of team support.

Weapons are the Izhma 12G Shotgun with silencer, all the concealment equipment (Need Gage Spec Ops Pack), and a Concealment Boost. Then a Judge for Shield busting w/ Concealment Boost.

This build is all over the place. It's combined dodge with Frenzy + Anarchist. I've gotten some real WTF moments from people when I explained this build to them but I've been able to do some One Down heists with it. Deathwish and below is straightfoward - Click the Police.
You still have 138 armor in a suit :stare: and crits + all that damage pile-on :stonklol:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Just tried the updated skill tree on consoles, such a massive improvement in pretty much every way.

How long has it been possible to shoot through a door lock?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
From day one.

(It was actually indicated in the old safehouse room with all the different doors.)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
not all door locks are shootable though

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Download Payday 2 now, keep it forever.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

also they're killing all DLC forever so get 'em while they're hot i guess

edit: misread the update. turns out all of the dlc is already dead forever, so too bad if you missed out

Kith fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 8, 2017

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Power Bottom posted:

I think they just killed all the DLC right now, I tried putting them in a cart and got nothing. So the Ultimate Edition is almost nigh!

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

There is so much salt about the base game being free it's hilarious.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Crabtree posted:

So the Ultimate Edition is almost nigh!

does this mean jules is getting fired

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
That's a really great move imo. Base Payday 2 is basically a demo now, with how much content there is in the DLC. Hooked new players won't have the luxury of only buying the "good" DLC and have to pay the Ultimate Edition full price. Genius stuff.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Ledgy posted:

That's a really great move imo. Base Payday 2 is basically a demo now, with how much content there is in the DLC. Hooked new players won't have the luxury of only buying the "good" DLC and have to pay the Ultimate Edition full price. Genius stuff.

You do get a significant discount towards UE upgrades depending on how much DLC you own so if those can be gifted, there could be an easy way to get around to owning all the content. But they likely won't allow that.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My favorite shot from the Most Wanted Bundle trailer is Ron Perlman doing the shotgun pump animation on what is clearly a lever-action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6E-HgDB9g8&t=36s

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's pretty much old news, but seriously: Desync fix! Sniper fix! Get excited!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

John Murdoch posted:

I've been playing with a friend who is too lazy to do any mods and he is desyncing a lot - when is the desync fix going in?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

John Murdoch posted:

I'll be more excited once they unfuck the difficulties.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I've been playing with a friend who is too lazy to do any mods and he is desyncing a lot - when is the desync fix going in?

Tomorrow, Wilko has to finish removing the hashlist, colored lasers, and the extra COP safe packs.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Discendo Vox posted:

Tomorrow, Wilko has to finish removing the hashlist, colored lasers, and the extra COP safe packs.
Thanks!

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
So is there any known fix to the fact that I will randomly crash to desktop upon heist completion?

It's beyond frustrating and I have had it happen with and without mods.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

As much as I like the console versions getting a big update, I'm salty about missing out on the customizable ai stuff.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

UnknownMercenary posted:

I'll be more excited once they unfuck the difficulties.

Well, yeah, but I felt like being positive for once. Mainly because I hate snipers.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Got this game for the sweet price of no money. Sweet jesus christ what am I doing.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Drowning Rabbit posted:

So is there any known fix to the fact that I will randomly crash to desktop upon heist completion?

It's beyond frustrating and I have had it happen with and without mods.

There's a crashlog file, post its contents here (or in the steam forums bug reporting subforum)

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Doctor Zaius posted:

Got this game for the sweet price of no money. Sweet jesus christ what am I doing.

Step 1: Shoot cops.
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Profit.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Does anyone happen to have the "new" breakpoints on hand? All I've been able to find are the ones that were for before Jules hosed things up.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Doctor Zaius posted:

My friend, put on your mask and I will show you the fun and profitability of complete and utter chaos in D.C. Join the Goon Group in steam and get in on Discord, there should be a good few regulars that'll show you all the stuff you don't want to read about to know how to crime.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Power Bottom posted:

Does anyone happen to have the "new" breakpoints on hand? All I've been able to find are the ones that were for before Jules hosed things up.

I believe this guide is up to date still.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Power Bottom posted:

edit: misread the update. turns out all of the dlc is already dead forever, so too bad if you missed out

Does that mean that the game is done with having paid updates?

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010

Archonex posted:

Does that mean that the game is done with having paid updates?

There will be one more paid DLC, a two-person character pack for some ~youtube celebrities~ and all profit from sales of that character pack will go to them. Every other update from here on out will be free.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Doctor Zaius posted:

What you ought to be doing is getting in the discord (invite sent), playing with goons and being dragged to level not-useless kicking and screaming. Timezone willing.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

maswastaken posted:

What you ought to be doing is getting in the discord (invite sent), playing with goons and being dragged to level not-useless kicking and screaming. Timezone willing.
Confirming that this is the way to go.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Can I get PM'd the Discord stuff, I'll likely want a break from Overwatch this weekend for some more cops and robbers.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Can I get PM'd the Discord stuff, I'll likely want a break from Overwatch this weekend for some more cops and robbers.
Done.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Tempest_56 posted:

I believe this guide is up to date still.

Okay, assuming this guide is accurate, I'mma ask a question.

Other than raw accuracy (which can be achieved by using a marksman kitted rifle), what is the actual point of Sniper Rifles? What advantages do they give that other weapons don't?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Snipers penetrate thin walls, shields, and cops. You can equip the most powerful optics (Theia and Box Buddy), which automark specials.

Honestly I don't think they're great generally.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

the what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Boxboy pack confirmed?