Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

evilweasel posted:

raising money, probably

But isn't that a terrible pitch to

evilweasel posted:

Absolutely not. What she's saying there is poison to getting donations: "i am going to lose for reasons outside my control." What's some extra money going to do to that?

.. right, this. Venting at your potential donors seems like a low percentage play, I wonder if the GOP is just getting near a breaking point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

evilweasel posted:

Absolutely not. What she's saying there is poison to getting donations: "i am going to lose for reasons outside my control." What's some extra money going to do to that?

Nah.

I did professional fundraising work and the most effective asks for people who are already supporters are always: "Something unstoppable is coming. We're doomed."

To motivate them to go "OH YEAH? I BET WE CAN STOP THE UNSTOPPABLE THING!"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

evilweasel posted:

:qq: those mean ol' voters are going to hold me to account for the actions of the president of my party we slavishly follow at every turn :qq:

This mess has done a wonderful job of dispelling the idea that there is such a thing as a moderate republican anymore.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

eviltastic posted:

Martha McSally won her district by 13 points.

She won by 8 points - but only after losing in 2012 and winning by 161 votes in 2014. She's absolutely correct that she's vulnerable.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah, it's a typewriter thing. A lot of old folks still think that's how it's done. It's also a not-so-sneaky way of adding length to a piece of writing...

Congratulations, you used two spaces after the periods in your paper to extend the length of it by maybe half an inch of horizontal length.

But it's probably just a holdover from when typewriters were commonplace. I remember having teachers in elementary school in the mid-nineties that would say one space and others that would say two spaces. I notice when people do it, but I make fun of the people that make a big deal out of it than the people that use two spaces.

people that don't know how to decline pronouns and misuse the apostrophe for it's and who's and her's when they mean its, whose, and hers need to be shot and their families murdered and their names erased from memory

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Rigel posted:

I assume I'm the only one who immediately looked up the standings to see if the Diamondbacks were doing well enough to follow them from the east coast. They are actually playing well, so I'll allow it.

https://twitter.com/Dbacks/status/872889256850501632

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

God please let it happen.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

WANT

WANT

WANT

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Brony Car posted:

I've always wondered how effective the alarmist tactic is for increasing donations. Every e-mail I get from the DCCC makes it sound like the Democrat Party is on the verge of being sacked by Visigoths.

*Democratic Party

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

we need cable news to run stories about how trump's aides are preventing him from firing sessions and it's all thanks to his aides sessions still has a job

edit: this is the quoted tweet:

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/872893115631316992

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

evilweasel posted:

we need cable news to run stories about how trump's aides are preventing him from firing sessions and it's all thanks to his aides sessions still has a job

"Loser Trump unable to run his own staff."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I want each and every one of those aides to get lost in the wilderness for three weeks

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

evilweasel posted:

She won by 8 points - but only after losing in 2012 and winning by 161 votes in 2014. She's absolutely correct that she's vulnerable.

Not saying your conclusion is wrong, but it wasn't eight: https://ballotpedia.org/Arizona%27s_2nd_Congressional_District_election,_2016

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Star Man posted:

people that don't know how to decline pronouns and misuse the apostrophe for it's and who's and her's when they mean its, whose, and hers need to be shot and their families murdered and their names erased from memory
tough but fair

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Is there someone out there Trump could replace Sessions with who would somehow be even worse than Sessions? Somehow?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Brony Car posted:

I've always wondered how effective the alarmist tactic is for increasing donations. Every e-mail I get from the DCCC makes it sound like the Democrat Party is on the verge of being sacked by Visigoths.
Except in the DCCC that isn't far off the mark. They're...well, let's just say they haven't been what I would call excruciatingly competent over the past few years.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9ZD3_ppcPE&t=6s

also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVznerpOkTI

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Please fire Sessions. Then fire Rosenstein explictly for refusing to fire Mueller. Then try to fire Mueller.

Get the ice beam by clipping through the floor first, though, or you'll never properly speedrun Nixon.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sorry, it seems that the wikipedia article quotes early results and said it was 54-46 :cripes: My mistake, you're correct.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

SubponticatePoster posted:

Except in the DCCC that isn't far off the mark. They're...well, let's just say they haven't been what I would call excruciatingly competent over the past few years.

It doesn't make me want to give them money. Maybe it's different for other people?

I just want to know if it works.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

evilweasel posted:

If Trump being 45 leads to Sessions losing his seat AND getting fired from AG in under 4 months maybe this isn't the WORST timeline.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

RiggenBlaque posted:

Is there someone out there Trump could replace Sessions with who would somehow be even worse than Sessions? Somehow?

sherrif clarke maybe, but sessions is by far the worst person in the white house and a random trump crony would be an improvement

trump appointing donald trump jr. would probably be an improvement

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Brony Car posted:

There's a 99% chance that you either: A) Gave money previously or B) Took some sort of affirmative action to sign up for the emails.

When they do professional fundraising emails to huge audiences, they usually do three different blasts.

1) Mass asks to supporters/already committed people telling them that they are doomed.

"Help! We're definitely going to lose. All the bad things you hate are going to happen. We can only try to fight and pray (and maybe you could help us?)"

2) Mass asks to people interested in a certain thing, but not necessarily supporters.

Get a list of people subscribed to a hunting enthusiast magazine or website and assume that a portion of them are highly motivated by this issue.

"XXX wants to make hunting illegal! We're trying to stop them! Can you pitch in?"

3) Big donors/Advocacy Organizations or Foundations

"We did XXX that you care about. Here's some links to our accomplishments and media sources praising us. We make effective use of your money!"

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug
The only good thing about McSally is that she is an opponent of the forced A-10 retirement

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Please fire Sessions. Please fire Sessions. Please fire Sessions.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RiggenBlaque posted:

Trump could resurrect the corpse of Hitler and it would probably be a step up.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Gowdy replacing chaffetz huh? Real good choice, morons

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Brony Car posted:

It doesn't make me want to give them money. Maybe it's different for other people?

I just want to know if it works.

it does work for fundraising especially for non-profits. this little bit seems...different, though. may just be the current political climate plus the recent enormous dem shifts in house races we've seen though.

donate $5 (or more if you can) to the ACLU and opt in to their emails. you will get this sort of thing but from a progressive bent 4-5 times a week in your inbox

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Nah.

I did professional fundraising work and the most effective asks for people who are already supporters are always: "Something unstoppable is coming. We're doomed."

To motivate them to go "OH YEAH? I BET WE CAN STOP THE UNSTOPPABLE THING!"
Went to facebook shortly after reading and immediately saw this ad.

Granted it is a very close race, but I'm 2000+ miles away!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

The picture attached to this tweet could not be more perfect.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

I am going to bed. If trump fires sessions between now and when I wake up, please high five me in the dreamworld to let me know maybe things are gonna be alright. Thank you.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

The Glumslinger posted:

So, a lot of people watched the hearings on Facebook alone
https://twitter.com/nickcicero/status/872859185280634880

lol, half a million people watching the Comey testimony through Super Deluxe

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Kaddish posted:

You know the President can't be indicted, right? Impeachment is literally the legal remedy for a sitting President.

Dude you really are dense, you already dunked yourself you should just stop.

But since you aren't bright enough to realize it. Just because the president can't be indicted in court for obstruction because the Republicans in Congress refuse to impeach and remove him from office doesn't mean that he can't be indicted in the court of public opinion. Further it doesn't mean that the refusal of the Republicans in Congress to Impeach him for obvious blatant abuse of power and flaunting of the law can't be used to indict them in the court of public opinion.

Impeachment is a political process, politics start with the public. If sufficient dissatisfaction can be generated with the public the pressure on the Republicans in power will increase to the point where they will either bend to the pressure out of self preservation or they will forced to answer politically for those decisions when they next run.

Now while the hard core of the Republican party may be ok with the GOP being a bunch of treasonous poo poo-birds on the take of the Russians a lot of them will not and the more blatant their disregard for the rule of law and the Constitution becomes the more support they will bleed.

So while you are correct in your assertion that the current congress will not impeach Trump at this point in time doesn't mean that they won't ever impeach him.

The Republican's in Congress don't like Trump, He's not one of them, he's a wild card and his incompetence is hurting them politically. They just haven't reached the point where they believe that the damage he's causing to them surpasses the damage they will take for turning on him.

The longer this goes drags on, the more evidence of his corruption and incompetence builds up the more of them will turn on him. Maybe you don't remember 2008 when Bush was so toxic to the Republican brand that they tried to pretend that he didn't exist. Trump is an order of magnitude more toxic to their brand that Bush was.

Hell I hope they continue to turn a blind eye to his corruption, because the longer they do so the more damage they caused to themselves. The more republican's will get caught up in and destroyed by this mess. Which is good for the country and the world.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

evilweasel posted:

sherrif clarke maybe, but sessions is by far the worst person in the white house and a random trump crony would be an improvement

trump appointing donald trump jr. would probably be an improvement

i'm pretty certain if trump fires sessions we will not have an AG until trump is impeached

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

everything I've heard about comey is he is incredibly strong-willed, and this hearing showed that in spades. He was ready for everything, except insane ramblings. I literally said "they must be trying to confuse him since intimidation and trickery didn't work!" when McCain started his nonsense. Man that guy has fallen far.

Really, that there's not a picture of a senator facepalming in response to McCain's mumbling is almost as baffling as McCain himself

A bit back but
Rubio in particular is of note.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Burn the elf!

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Retro42 posted:

If Trump being 45 leads to Sessions losing his seat AND getting fired from AG in under 4 months maybe this isn't the WORST timeline.
When is Sessions' old seat up again? If it's in 2018 the dude could probably run for it again and win it back easily.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Sessions seems to be in kind of deep poo poo both with whatever Comey was hinting at and being in the doghouse with Trump

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

evilweasel posted:

He's going to fire him.

A man who was once a sitting senator is going to be kicked to the curb for trusting in Trump.

No one of any position will ever put him or herself in his power again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

send him back to the alienages.

• Locked thread