Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm sad that I'm years away from even thinking about buying a house. I have all this mortgage knowledge rotting away next to boxes of german vocabulary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Huh, when did you get that

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

He tried to post at Fishmech in D&D.

did you know boosters would pay big money for college microscopes if Basketball wasn't stealing all the money?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Intruder posted:

Hell I was just glad we got our earnest money back. The homeowners refused to do anything about the roof. The enormous backyard was about half the size of a football field (because of a gas pipe running underneath it which prevented the opposite house from being build any closer), which in hindsight would have been a huge pain to maintain but it was one of the things that really appealed to me at the time

Buying a house is a huge pain. There was one owner who refused to budge on the price because she had already lowered it... six months before. House had been on the market for two years. Good luck, lady

People can be completely unreasonable when it comes to negotiating the value of their most important asset, and something they are usually very emotionally attached to. Which is the one thing keeping the real estate industry in business. Like, in a perfect world where strangers could negotiate in good faith with each other there would be no need for realtors.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kalli posted:

He tried to post at Fishmech in D&D.

did you know boosters would pay big money for college microscopes if Basketball wasn't stealing all the money?

Obviously

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Intruder posted:

Huh, when did you get that

the avatar? I kind of like it.

Yeah arguing with goons about sports on the debate board has its risks. Ball athletics? How dare you enslave inner city black youth.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

People can be completely unreasonable when it comes to negotiating the value of their most important asset, and something they are usually very emotionally attached to. Which is the one thing keeping the real estate industry in business. Like, in a perfect world where strangers could negotiate in good faith with each other there would be no need for realtors.

It all worked out, I ended up falling into a house that had juuuust come on the market just in time to get the $8K homebuyer's credit. It had been on the market for 10 days and they already accepted an offer, fortunately the buyer backed out and they accepted our offer instead. It's in this very rapidly developing area beloved by the local hipster crowd so the value has gone up 50% since we bought it (which is bad in a way because of Texas's high property taxes)

It's also on a cul de sec which was something we really wanted because of the kids being young

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Texas has high property taxes? That I did not expect.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Well I don't know how it is statewide, I should have said Harris County

Nov 6, 2002

The Worst States for Property Taxes

New Jersey - 2.38 percent
Illinois - 2.32 percent
New Hampshire - 2.15 percent
Connecticut - 1.98 percent
Wisconsin - 1.96 percent
Texas - 1.90 percent
Nebraska - 1.84 percent
Michigan - 1.78 percent
Vermont - 1.71 percent
Rhode Island - 1.67 percent

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

kiimo posted:

Texas has high property taxes? That I did not expect.

Probably due to your stunted brain

Nov 6, 2002

No income tax tho.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I guess you have to overcome the lack of state income taxes somewhere.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Property taxes is how Texas recoups the money from not having a state income tax. Also high sales taxes, aka regressive taxation which is the only kind republicans like

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, I was pretty surprised to find out my parents pay over twice in real estate taxes that I do, despite my house being worth more then theirs. Rhode Island is kind of a bummer.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I had no idea Illinois was so high

My dad must be paying out the rear end

Nov 6, 2002

Hey by the way, not that anyone cares, but South Burlington voted by a wide margin this week to pass it's school budget and rejected the "Rebel Alliance" movement. Of course not before someone spray painted racial slurs all over one of the sports fields.

So yay! Now my daughter's kindergarten class will not be doubled in size.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

The Worst States for Property Taxes

New Jersey - 2.38 percent
Illinois - 2.32 percent
New Hampshire - 2.15 percent
Connecticut - 1.98 percent
Wisconsin - 1.96 percent
Texas - 1.90 percent
Nebraska - 1.84 percent
Michigan - 1.78 percent
Vermont - 1.71 percent
Rhode Island - 1.67 percent

I wonder if we're the top because nobody wants to live in this shithole of a state so they have to tax the suckers stuck here

dear god do not talk about density thinking this was in earnest

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Thus proving that this isn't a racial issue at all, just as the rebel alliance claimed

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

"How dare you, this isn't about race it's about our history"

*spray paints swastikas everywhere*

Nov 6, 2002

What's kinda funny is they made a big "get out the vote" push (despite having won two prior votes) with signs everywhere and a social media campaign and it ended up backfiring because as it turns out they're just a very loud and annoying vocal minority.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Losers don't get to keep their flags

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Flags fly forever

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Intruder posted:

I had no idea Illinois was so high

My dad must be paying out the rear end

One of the big reasons there is an exodus happening from Illinois!

Illinois sucks hard.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Didn't get an interview with one of my top three schools.

Heck!

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

Heck!

You got 2 more man, chin up :unsmith:

Nov 6, 2002

Intruder posted:

"How dare you, this isn't about race it's about our history"

*spray paints swastikas everywhere*

They are literally right out of the trump/alt-right movement. After losing they suggested that school officials intimidated voters (lol), voting fraud and that the graffiti was a false flag action.

Edit: this is the founder of the group, he lives in DC - https://twitter.com/kiyalan?lang=en

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 8, 2017

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

weird Asian candy posted:

One of the big reasons there is an exodus happening from Illinois!

Illinois sucks hard.

I just went to Naperville a couple weeks ago for the first time and was pleasantly surprised.

edit:

quote:

Edit: this is the founder of the group, he lives in DC - https://twitter.com/kiyalan?lang=en

Two things. This guy by the looks of him is clearly the Devil.

Also it makes sense Beelzebub is a Cowboys fan.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

FizFashizzle posted:

Heck!

NGU here comes Fiz!!

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

kiimo posted:

I just went to Naperville a couple weeks ago for the first time and was pleasantly surprised.

Don't get me wrong, it has it's nice spots but the taxes, politics, budget, economy, weather...

Naperville is a nice area, one of the better burbs in the state where the rich people are. Barrington is the same thing.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Leperflesh posted:

You don't want the sellers picking who does the roof, they'll go for the absolute cheapest possible option. It's much better to get the cash and then have it done yourself.

My friend/agent would negotiate who is doing the work with their guy.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Chicago people "Oh hey kiimo can you believe the traffic on the Dan Ryan??"

It's a Sunday stroll compared to LA freeways.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Wait, so Corbyn may actually be leading a minority party government?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I'm in insurance lol I don't trust anybody but those who have earned that privilege. The only reason I have any faith everyone isn't lying to me is my agent is my friend.

The reason we found out the roof was old was because my friend pulled permit records after the preinspection roof guy said the roof was hinky.

This poo poo is getting checked, doublechecked and cross referenced because I'm professionally lied to daily.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ehud posted:

NGU here comes Fiz!!

One of my good buddy's wife went there.

He looked at me and just said "no"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kalli posted:

Corbyn Dallas Multipass

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kalli posted:

The British system is weird.

Glass houses tho.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Intruder posted:

Corbyn Dallas Multipass

nice

Nov 6, 2002

Intruder posted:

Corbyn Dallas Multipass

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Terrorists want to make big boom

Big bada boom

• Locked thread