Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

The contrast of drunk fratboyism and staunch dadism is what makes this gif so magical. :allears:

the full spectrum of white male sports outrage

edit: quoting for top of page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I only just noticed the 900 year old man sitting in the bottom right acting like "eh, is there something happening?"

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Ahahaahah, at the very end, a girl in the top right screams "gently caress YOU" so hard with the full force of her body behind it that she falls down.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

zoux posted:

Love the old man standing up trying to Dad him.

hahaha that may be my new favorite part

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Kibner posted:

Ahahaahah, at the very end, a girl in the top right screams "gently caress YOU" so hard with the full force of her body behind it that she falls down.
Shoved

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

WhyteRyce posted:

Sometimes you realize mid flip that you're flat and need to clap to psych yourself up

Also love the creepy dude next to pajama girl who is probably only there to "accidentally" bump into the people standing next to him

I'm pretty sure pajama girl ends up in the trunk of his car

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

zoux posted:

I gotta fess up, I'm not the hugest fan of these. I don't like the voice work mostly, some of the jokes are OK I guess.

it kinda sucks and is a bland parody of another thing that kinda sucks, but some people I like think it's good and people take criticisms of things they like as personal criticism, so I'm going to say it doesn't suck

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

warcrimes posted:

This is THE greatest gif ever, any sport, any topic. So much going on.

- smiling black dude
-angry old man standing
-pajama girl getting hit with a sign
-serial killer over pajama girl's screen left shoulder
-double flipping off guy who enters screen left to right like he's on a conveyor belt
-clapping double flip off guy
-angry hat guy
-George RR Martin
-white hat come fight me dude

I love this and that it gets brought up a couple times a year

it's amazing. And you can make like a 50 page list like this and still manage to leave out stuff like:

--the umbrella or whatever it is that comes flying down from the upper rows, terrifies two girls and then the smiling happy guy follows it into the void

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Through three games:

code:
GmSc	Player
92.1	Kevin Durant
84.3	LeBron James
78	Stephen Curry
46.9	Kevin Love
45.8	Kyrie Irving
39.5	Klay Thompson
25	Andre Iguodala
21.5	Draymond Green
11.1	Shaun Livingston
10.5	Kyle Korver
10.5	Tristan Thompson
9.8	David West
9.5	JaVale McGee
9	Dahntay Jones
8.9	Iman Shumpert
8.7	Ian Clark
6.9	Richard Jefferson
5.5	J.R. Smith	
2.9	James Michael McAdoo
2.4	Zaza Pachulia
2.3	Derrick Williams
2	Matt Barnes
1.8	Patrick McCaw
0.5	Channing Frye
-0.4	James Jones
-6.1	Deron Williams
LBJ in danger of not having the highest GmSc in the finals since 2011 when Wade was #1.

Lowest Finals GmSc since 1978:

code:
-2.6	Rudy Tomjanovich	1981
-2.7	Frank Brickowski	1996
-3.1	Jason Caffey		1997
-3.3	Chris Jent		1994
-3.5	Chris Childs		1999
-3.5	Mychal Thompson		1991
-3.9	Larry Hughes		2007
-4.1	Vincent Askew		1996
-4.4	Sasha Vujacic		2009
-4.6	Jacque Vaughn		1998
-5	Dwight Jones		1983
-5.8	Shelden Williams	2010
-6.1	Deron Williams		2017
Deron Williams in danger of putting up the worst overall Finals performance in forty years.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
whoa Klay's Dad and a basketball player named "Brickowski" who misses a lot of shots on that list

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Paging R.D. Mangles to repost his amazing analysis of the gif from a few years ago

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Zogo posted:

Deron Williams in danger of putting up the worst overall Finals performance in forty years.

I remember the innocent days of arguing over CP3 or DWill being the best point guard in the NBA

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Noctone posted:

Yeah the kinda low-key (but also kinda not so low-key) thing that really lost them the game last night was in the back half of the fourth quarter when Cleveland's transition defense was just lazy as gently caress and the Warriors were getting the kind of gimme buckets you'd expect to see in garbage time of a blowout.

CLE has the worst transition D in the entire league.
http://stats.nba.com/teams/transition/#!?sort=PPP&dir=1&Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PerMode=Totals&OD=defensive

Time posted:

Imo, it's been cool to see a team get as close to the asymptote of "perfect ball" as we are likely to see for a long time, maybe ever. I have enjoyed the playoffs for that reason alone, despite my team predictably getting bounced by the Evil Spurs

The next generation of superteam should be superior.

Panzeh posted:

looks like tristan thompson is shook

TT looks like a confused lumberjack.

DeimosRising posted:

I wonder what the next big innovation to get copied all over is, because I don't see any room for improvement on what we're seeing now over how the Warriors do it.

Increasing 3P efficiency from farther distances by all players.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Iggy should collect his 2nd MVP for hounding Lebron into efficient triple doubles.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

RaySmuckles posted:

hahaha, sports are the best :hfive:

:parrot:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

alansmithee posted:

The worst was seeing Lebron constantly making the right play only to have some teammate brick another shot.

I have seen LBJ with his hands wide up in the air screaming for the ball and his teammates were oblivious.

zoux posted:

Does Donaghy have an ounce of credibility

He has many ounces. His conjecture and demeanor is very similar to that of Jose Canseco whose name was dragged through the MLB mud until he was vindicated as a benevolent whistleblower.

Fast Luck posted:

That's actually when the old guys will double down and say jump shooting teams can't win championships

Are they really still saying that this year? 2017 was yet another season with all the elite 3P teams making the final four.

Bigass Moth posted:

Is there anyone the cavs can sign next year to compete with gsw in the finals or are we going to be dealing with this for another two years?

They need a much stronger focus on defense if LBJ sticks around.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ammanas posted:

I wonder if, when the news broke that KD was signing with the Warriors, LeBron felt that twinge of resignation, the realization another year of greatness was about to be stolen from him

LBJ is about to be 3-5 in the finals. Excellent evidence concerning the erroneousness of finals records and the onerousness of some fans in referencing it.

zoux posted:

Are there certain fanbases that are demonstrably and objectively worse than others or are fans of losing teams just universally and equally sad sack whiners and winning teams smug pricks?

Bulls fans are the most loyal and patient in this young century.

Bigass Moth posted:

Close, it was the Miami Heat LeBron team fans who were also Yankee, Patriot and Lakers fans. People leaving Finals games early in droves.

2013 Heat fans who left early and tried to get back in during game 6 should be banned for life like Donald Sterling!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Zogo posted:

Still tied with CP3 for most career points in the Finals

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Heat fans are actually really good. The worst fans are fans that care too much and take an entertainment property way too seriously.

You would leave Game 6 early too if you ran out of coke and your team had a 1 percent chance of winning.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

If I paid for finals tickets I would stay until the janitor left.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/872826518422114304

:thunk:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Zogo posted:

Increasing 3P efficiency from farther distances by all players.

I think that's silly. It's like saying the next big innovation is "having shaq" or "being lebron", we can't assume there is a significant reserve of people capable of doing that. "Be better at shooting" is not a coaching or strategy paradigm. The league hasn't even gotten any better at shooting 3s, they just shoot a lot more of them. The overall efficiency hasn't really budged, I dunno if anyone tracks average distance of threes and relative value but I don't think it can have changed much. As much as I like D'Antoni, I think his mutant version of his own offense is not going to overtake the more complicated versions already being run in GS and elsewhere, and it wouldn't really be a sea change if it did.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Just lmao...if LBJ leaves he will be the ultimate villian. Just the worst dude of all NBA time

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

-Teams up 3-0 in the NBA playoffs are 126-0 overall.

-Players with 25+ points in their first eight NBA finals games:

Kevin Durant (8)
Michael Jordan (20)
Shaquille O'Neal (21)

Strawberry Panda posted:

You would leave Game 6 early too if you ran out of coke and your team had a 1 percent chance of winning.

:vince:

WhyteRyce posted:

Still tied with CP3 for most career points in the Finals

:discourse:

Zogo fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 8, 2017

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

:lol:

Sure he is :thunk:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

LeBron on the Clippers would own until Blake and CP3 get injured in the playoffs.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I doubt Lebron leaves unless there is some sketch deal where he gets an ownership stake

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

LeBron can have Shaq's like 2-5% ownership stake since that guy seems like he's been ex-communicated by Vivek

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Lebron should buy an expansion team. It can be loosely based in New York and schedule home series across the country/UK. Expansion fee will be supported by Nike, Statefarm and McDonalds. Banana Boat Club (BBC for short ;) ) will rule forever

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I can't imagine why he'd consider that at all. There isn't anything to gain leaving to any other team

Apart from GS :grin:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

RaySmuckles posted:

if watching so much basketball has taught me anything, its that its very hard to objectively assess anything in the NBA.

...counting stats are terribly overrated...team systems/coaching matter.

It's hard to be objective by just watching. The numbers help a lot.

Some counting stats are useful. System and coaches are overrated. We've seen a decade of people insulting Mike Brown and now look what he's done. Players are the underrated ones. People would be bowing down to Hoiberg right now on GSW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H9JHdsn-EQ

DeimosRising posted:

I think that's silly. It's like saying the next big innovation is "having shaq" or "being lebron", we can't assume there is a significant reserve of people capable of doing that. "Be better at shooting" is not a coaching or strategy paradigm. The league hasn't even gotten any better at shooting 3s, they just shoot a lot more of them. The overall efficiency hasn't really budged, I dunno if anyone tracks average distance of threes and relative value but I don't think it can have changed much. As much as I like D'Antoni, I think his mutant version of his own offense is not going to overtake the more complicated versions already being run in GS and elsewhere, and it wouldn't really be a sea change if it did.

Not everyone in the league will be doing it (league averages aren't primary when discussing innovation as it will take the league averages longer to climb) but you can be sure the best players will gather together once again in the 2020s and 2030s. I could see champion teams of the future where every single player was a legit 3P threat. Zaza and Livingston aren't going to launch a bunch this finals. More teams are improving their 3P shooting and taking it to new heights:

code:
3NP	Season	Tm
639	2015-16	GSW
432	2014-15	GSW
422	2016-17	CLE
420	2009-10	PHO
414	2005-06	PHO
391	1996-97	CHH
390	2006-07	PHO
383	2016-17	GSW
362	2004-05	PHO
342	2012-13	MIA
342	2012-13	GSW
337	2013-14	SAS
332	2016-17	SAS
Eight of the top thirteen 3P teams are from the last five seasons. Yes, being better at shooting will open up new strategies. GSW has THREE guys right now that could go off for an efficient 60+ point game and nobody would be surprised. Imagine a team with five starters who could do that. That increases a team's strategic options.

D'Antoni has the right idea with the wrong personnel. Compare Draymond Green and Dennis Rodman.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Zogo posted:

D'Antoni has the right idea with the wrong personnel. Compare Draymond Green and Dennis Rodman.

Why am I comparing green and Rodman?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/sreekyshooter/status/872953511499022336

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What about mark jackson, zogo

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Not mentioned in this tweet, KD was exclusively hanging out with members of the Warriors at his house in OKC during the series vs GSW last year.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

I will never have faith in Gar Foreman, and John Paxson ever again.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

zoux posted:

Does Donaghy have an ounce of credibility

I think Donaghy has gone off the deep end in a desperate attempt to sell books but there was a ton of shady poo poo going on in the NBA back then. At least one official was fixing games (likely two). There were weird grudges and guys like Ed Rush being allowed to referee.

Stern brushed a lot of that under the rug when the Donaghy stuff came out (which should have been one of the biggest stories in NBA history) and they did clean up a lot of the nonsense. Although they are still scared to fire Scott Foster for some reason.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

the_american_dream posted:

I can't imagine why he'd consider that at all. There isn't anything to gain leaving to any other team

Apart from GS :grin:

There's a team out there with two elite bigs that can also stretch the floor a bit...

(He'd still be dumb to do that, though)

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
i'm not sure what this offseason program dipo is on but it's showing great results

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
what sort of options does cleveland even have going forward?

aren't they capped to hell and back? if this team is getting swept by GS how are they going to improve themselves?

as for lebron going to LA, how could the Clippers even afford him? aren't they about to be (if not already) way over cap?

if you're over the cap doesn't that mean you can't sign FAs?

i secretly like the lebron to the spurs in 2018 rumors myself, but i don't think that's even remotely likely to happen, nor do i think the spurs would be interested in it. lebron is too dominant a personality to fit in a system that demands players shed their egos and do what they're told while being shouted at by pop. plus i think the spurs are trying to develop kawhi and having showtime lebron around might stunt his growth. on the other hand, if lebron intends on owning/running a team it might behoove him to go to SA and see how its done there. just a fun thought exercise. i doubt he ever leaves the east unless the cavs really are stuck at their ceiling and he gets tired of getting swept in the finals.

• Locked thread