Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Capntastic posted:

Should have pledged more

Only reason it's failing is because people didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
I still get access to episodes 2 through 6 though right?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Capntastic posted:

Should have pledged more

In for 45 million.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Nobody wants his LARPy sex castle aside from weirdos like notch. He'll be lucky to get 30

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
neither here nor there, but his wife's a real piece of poo poo goldman girl who went all in for hillary. in addition to swedes i really hate unironic manhattanites

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Soup du Journey posted:

neither here nor there, but his wife's a real piece of poo poo goldman girl who went all in for hillary. in addition to swedes i really hate unironic manhattanites

Let's not criticize his decision to move to the city for a gold digger, eventually a terrorist could blow up Garriot, and since he legally can't bring his uzi from Texas he would be defenseless and possibly leak out all of the stolen millions of dollars like a sonic the hedgehog bad guy does with those gold rings

Alternatively: Maybe his wife will donate the money back once she takes half of his castles in 1-5 years

holy poo poo forgot about this, there isn't a single comment from "the trolls" that could be called untrue 35 months later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOg3AJXGKgQ

extra stout fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 3, 2017

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
oh no im afraid its worse than that. mrs garriott is a goldman sachs person.

anyway that channel is embarrassing. couple hundred to a couple thousand views per video. NOBODY was watching :sigh:

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
The Seedinvest page, claims that the company wont be affected by "trends".

That's a pretty big gently caress-up, last time I checked, there's just one Subscription MMO left (WoW), even EVE has a free-to-play option these days.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I got an email actually called email #230 from sota asking me for money for another game and asking me to donate to lgbt suicide awareness month or something

wasnt this a video game we paid for? when did i pay to join a marketing ring

absolutely suck my god drat balls garriot if you bought back the rights to ultima from ea i wouldnt play the next one for free

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

extra stout posted:

absolutely suck my god drat balls garriot if you bought back the rights to ultima from ea i wouldnt play the next one for free

I would. And I'd probably pledge to it. :smith:

I need help.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I put like $50 into this however many years ago that was now and was waiting to try and play until it was "done."

At least I learned my lesson and haven't pledged anything to Underworld Ascendant.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Between this and star shitizen, it makes you never want to spend money on pre-release games ever again.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Krycek posted:

Between this and star shitizen, it makes you never want to spend money on pre-release games ever again.

Even the game I had the most confidence in, Camelot Unchained, actually hired millions of dollars of seemingly good devs, had an experienced leader who doesn't need the money badly, and I still feel like them trying to keep their promise of having 16 races and 65 classes or some poo poo is going to end up in a lot of refunds (respect that they even offer them unlike Shroud) and a lot of people just forgetting the game, not hyping it up to friends, etc, as it falls easily four years behind release to get all the poo poo they promised in game.

Smartest thing to do is promise not much more than you can deliver and even admit "We're going to launch with 10 races and 20 classes but you'll get the rest later and here's three free months of subscription to compensate!".

It's just too loving stupid to think in a world of 4500 mmos that everyone will remember and trust you to do well with yours once they've forgotten you're even still making the game. Hype and people joining with their friends at the same time is a majorly important aspect of selling an mmo. People buy games that are even marketed as indie clones of games they already own just to try something a little bit new with their Steam friends.

Entoloma
Jan 2, 2009
I pledged $120 to this and have basically written that off. Although I'm not particularly happy with how the game has turned out I was curious as to whether any other crowdfunded MMOs have been successfully completed and haven't been able to find one - a bunch of the issues don't seem to be unique to SotA. So basically stay a million miles away from any project that has "MMO" anywhere in it.

...not that SotA did in it's original campaign though. I remember the whole "this won't be an MMO but it will be a multiplayer game if you want!" thing and some people on their forum still believe that to this day and claim it's not an MMO.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Entoloma posted:

I pledged $120 to this and have basically written that off. Although I'm not particularly happy with how the game has turned out I was curious as to whether any other crowdfunded MMOs have been successfully completed and haven't been able to find one - a bunch of the issues don't seem to be unique to SotA. So basically stay a million miles away from any project that has "MMO" anywhere in it.

...not that SotA did in it's original campaign though. I remember the whole "this won't be an MMO but it will be a multiplayer game if you want!" thing and some people on their forum still believe that to this day and claim it's not an MMO.

I wish it hadn't been an MMO :( I also wish I'd given my money to shards online, that game is looking sweet

Entoloma
Jan 2, 2009

yoloer420 posted:

I wish it hadn't been an MMO :( I also wish I'd given my money to shards online, that game is looking sweet

Yeah, I remember saying to another friend who also backed about two years ago that they should have just made a single player ultima-like RPG or two and build up some good will and experience with unity before going for something really ambitious like an MMO. It would also mean they wouldn't have had to make a single game that is trying to be both and failing at it.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

the title should be changed, there's at least 1 more wipe coming.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

yoloer420 posted:

I pledged to both SOTA and Shards online.

Shards (Legends Of Aria) has less money and is still the better game overall.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
A reminder that a single person pledged more than $100,000 to this game and dozens of people put in $10,000 pledges to design and name NPCs.

:lol:

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

TheAgent posted:

A reminder that a single person pledged more than $100,000 to this game and dozens of people put in $10,000 pledges to design and name NPCs.

This is perfectly normal behavior, stop spreading fud, goonie!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

TheAgent posted:

You can now (or maybe you could, I didn't know) invest in the SeedBundle program, at a minimum of $500, and receive golden armor and weapons in game.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Node posted:

You can now (or maybe you could, I didn't know) invest in the SeedBundle program, at a minimum of $500, and receive golden armor and weapons in game.

Yea, this will work out nicely. :lol:

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X1gC3BLq2w

Now paypal me hundreds of dollars

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Capntastic doesn't quite have the same ring to it as Lord British. Sorry. I can only pledge at the second to minimum tier.

Beast British
Mar 12, 2006

Help yourself to some fethers but leave my fork alone.
Gonna need more of you guys to throw your money into this game. We're having a blast, honest!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Beast British posted:

Gonna need more of you guys to throw your money into this game. We're having a blast, honest!

Can I get some bodily fluid on a plaque, maybe some eye boogers or something? Can take out a second mortgage, TIA.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
How much for a necklace made entirely out of toenail clippings? Is five grand enough?

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

the things people do instead of just playing wow :rolleye:

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

This was deleted (because Reddit is garbage). Can anyone summarize as to what this was about? Nearest I can tell, is they've asked for another round of funding or something?

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Thursday Next posted:

This was deleted (because Reddit is garbage). Can anyone summarize as to what this was about? Nearest I can tell, is they've asked for another round of funding or something?
Oh the whole site is dumb as poo poo, who knows why it's so popular.

Wayback link

quote:

I'm still a backer of this game and this is just... where is all the money? What happened to all our pledge money?! I slept on this announcement but now that I'm reading it all with fresh eyes, I'm suddenly very very VERY concerned.

sauce: https://www.seedinvest.com/portalarium/series.b

• as of May 17th our current cash position is $528k seriously - how can this be? Where are all the millions?!
  • requires approximately $230,000 a month to sustain operations. so with the money raised from the telethon, you have enough money to stay in business for just two more months?!
  • contract with a Russian company that has already paid us a license fee as an advance against additional future royalties. how much money did they give you? Where is it? Where is the Steam money? What about the other investors?
  • 64,000 volunteer testers uhm... I think you meant to say accounts sold... what the gently caress?! What happened to 200k New Britannians? You've only sold 64k copies of the game in four years?!?!
  • Innovative Development Methods include crowdsourced music, art, and code? If you got it all for free, where is all the money?
  • Recognized revenues to date have been through book sales - What book sales and which book? Is this coming from the Explore / Create autobiography? Did we fund a loving autobiography? Or is this from revenue coming from Tracy Hickman books? Which is it? How much is collected monthly?
  • Episode 2-5 will be on console and mobile? WTF? Console? Mobile? What?!
  • The software is currently in development and expected to launch in July 2017 at which point sales are expected to increase. LAUNCH THIS SUMMER!? HOW IN THE loving gently caress ARE YOU GOING FROM PRE-ALPHA TO LAUNCH IN LESS THAN TWO MONTHS!?
  • Pre-Money Valuation is $25,000,000 - who did this valuation? Unless a third party did this I can't believe it. You don't own the building you work in, you don't even own the code you're using to make the game. Where is this $25M valuation coming from?
  • slay a dragon, establish trade routes, craft weapons and armor, or conquer a town ... $ok, what loving game are you talking about? Establish trade routes? Conquer a town? What the loving gently caress, Richard!?
  • The Company is a business that has not generated profits in recent years, has sustained net losses of $3,068,579 and $3,048,110 during the years ended December 31, 2016 and 2015, respectively, and has an accumulated deficit of $18,089,082 and $15,020,503 as of December 31, 2016 and 2015, respectively. https://www.seedinvest.com/portalarium/series.b/filing (read the Form C Financial Summary document for yourself)

I AM ABOUT TWO CUPS OF COFFEE AWAY FROM REPORTING THIS BLATANT SCAM LOOKING poo poo TO THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION! https://www.ftc.gov/complaint

Even the official forums have a thread going with all the same concerns - and some of the white knights are finally asking questions!

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Virtual Captain posted:

Wayback link

I can't stop laughing at the 25 million dollar valuation.

also :lol: @ "what the loving gently caress, richard?!"

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
I read the entire seedinvest thing last week. The whole time I'm thinking "is there a serious investor out there stupid enough to go for this?" and then I hit the in-game golden perks section. lol.

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 13, 2017

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I realize I'm dragging my butt dogwise over a grave here, but I was thinking the other day about how "Shroud of the Avatar" was an unfortunate title choice, since it always made me think of funerals. Then that reddit link reminded me that the subtitle was "Forsaken Virtues." Yowza...a little too on-the-nose!!

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

:rip:

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Virtual Captain posted:

Wayback link

Cheers.

And yeah I know reddit is popular, but just in case you were being sarcastic, I really dislike the weird comment structure they have going on. I find a lot of stuff is hidden (why?), deleted, or linked separately on a second page. It's bizarre to my old-person eyes. I can't count the number of times I follow a link to "holy crap check this thread out" only to see it deleted. And nobody quotes it, cause their comment structure is a butt.

Sorry, wrong rant :).

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
are you kidding me lmao

banned for a fake reason, the real reason is that i copy/pasted the reddit thread about their upcoming bankruptcy to people asking about if they'll get a finished game or their physical promised 'rewards'

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
yeah, dissenters must be silenced, everything is great, please invest more, no one has anything negative to say about the game just look at any forums where we've banned anyone even thinking about talking poo poo

why people continue to get scammed by this I dunno

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

"to get everyone to not become interested in the game for trolling reasons"

Ha.

I'm sad I lost money on this, but it's pretty schadenfreudy to see how poorly the devs are handling everything.

Also, check out the investor webinar tomorrow!

**Upcoming Investor Webinar**

Join Richard Garriott, CEO and Creative Director of Portalarium, for an Investor Webinar on Wednesday, June 14th, at 5:00 PM - 5:30 PM EDT

Register Here: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/2735149906524740355

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

HungryMedusa posted:

"to get everyone to not become interested in the game for trolling reasons"

Ha.

I'm sad I lost money on this, but it's pretty schadenfreudy to see how poorly the devs are handling everything.

Also, check out the investor webinar tomorrow!

**Upcoming Investor Webinar**

Join Richard Garriott, CEO and Creative Director of Portalarium, for an Investor Webinar on Wednesday, June 14th, at 5:00 PM - 5:30 PM EDT

Register Here: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/2735149906524740355

Thanks, I'll be sure to get some questions in. Does ascii art work in Webinar?