Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheBigBad posted:

Ian McDiarmid returns to voice Palpatine!

Fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Is it Fall yet? :(

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Nope, but here's hoping for some nice breadcrumbs between now and then. :)

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Hey, a breadcrumb! :haw:

https://twitter.com/dave_filoni/status/872631916775657474

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Did people really think the wolf in the trailer was Ahsoka?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

drat it, I was just coming here to post that.

gmq posted:

Did people really think the wolf in the trailer was Ahsoka?

I did. There was that post-season 2 artwork Filoni did of Ahsoka that had a wolf motif, and after the rumors that she would be coming back in some way for season 4 it seemed like the perfect Filoni troll.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

So I notice he didn't say "not the owl."

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

DancinBrud posted:

He also didn't say the owl was not the wolf. The owl is snoke.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Wait a sec. This meg mogg and owl strip is actually good

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

DancinBrud posted:

That owl is not what it seems.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

cptn_dr posted:

That owl is not what it seems.

That lightsaber you like is going to come back in style.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
While I'm sure some other execrable part of the franchise will bring Ashoka back, she had a meaningful and dignified death in Rebels and I hope they keep it. Death not really happening and when it does only happening to extremes of the moral spectrum a la Bambi's Mom or the Villain makes us all poorer.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Shbobdb posted:

While I'm sure some other execrable part of the franchise will bring Ashoka back, she had a meaningful and dignified death in Rebels and I hope they keep it. Death not really happening and when it does only happening to extremes of the moral spectrum a la Bambi's Mom or the Villain makes us all poorer.

There was no reason to assume Ahsoka died at all. You see her walking from the entrance of the temple back down into it at the very end of the finale, in fact.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Zebulon posted:

There was no reason to assume Ahsoka died at all. You see her walking from the entrance of the temple back down into it at the very end of the finale, in fact.

You mean you saw her falling down, representing her death.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Shbobdb posted:

You mean you saw her falling down, representing her death.

No? I saw an alive Ahsoka walking down a set of stairs as an alive Vader limped across the planet surface, never at any stage looked like they were trying to say she was dead.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

NTRabbit posted:

No? I saw an alive Ahsoka walking down a set of stairs, never at any stage looked like they were trying to say she was dead

You are bad at watching TV.

Probably good at predicting that they will keep the character alive. But that says more about the sorry state of TV and how people interface with death.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Shbobdb posted:

You are bad at watching TV.

Given you're the only person here who thinks a living person walking down a flight of stairs was a dead person falling down, I think we can safely ascertain you're the one who is pretty poo poo at watching TV.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dH6I1pW3qs

I too am surrounded by darkness and clearly fall while thematically people are blinded, crippled and running when I walk down the stairs.

Are you unable to understand context in general due to your autism or have you just read too many comic books so you "know" that death doesn't meaningfully exist in genre trash so you can avoid acknowledging its existence?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Except, you know, she didn't actually fall, she was walking down a flight of stairs. How dense do you have to be to confuse the two? Or are you just making poo poo up so you can have another whine about the evils of connected universes?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
A very yonic door obviously representing death and rebirth. :rolleyes:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Yeah man. Doors are always rebirth. Not, like, death.

That'd be weird.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I was taking the piss.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I like you.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

SyRauk posted:

I'm still holding out for that "Sopranos-meets-Star-Wars" live-action show they've been talking about for years.

If Gandolfini was still alive to voice Tony the Hutt in a wife beater this would be the best thing ever.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Yeah, what we really need to revitalize this melodrama is some grimdark. That works every time.

Have you read My Little Pony: Fallout? It's like the best thing ever and it has huge appeal with "Disney" written all over it. That's the direction I think we should take this franchise in.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

yeah lets get regurgitated jedi/sith jerkoff fest #300. God forbid the franchise try anything other than lowest possible risk shlock

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Zebulon posted:

I wish she had actually died and they had been more definite and clearer about it, despite really liking the character. As is though, she just walks through a doorway in a way that provides them an obvious get out of jail card later if anyone ever wants to reuse her, and she's not even a force ghost when she does so making it even less substantial, since she has varied color.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Schlock, in a space opera? Never!

There are different ways to go but grimdark fits star wars about as well as a variety show.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I know Death of the Author is all the rage but Filoni (or was it Hidalgo?) already said that they may use Ahsoka again but not in Rebels. :shrug:

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 8, 2017

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Shbobdb posted:

Schlock, in a space opera? Never!

There are different ways to go but grimdark fits star wars about as well as a variety show.

Whats grimdark about a sopranos parody. That show was basically 50% comedy. Do you even know what grimdark means are do you just like using that term because you think it makes your poo poo opinion seem edgy?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am surprised that there are people who still don't have Shbobdb on ignore.

You know who I'd love to see show up on Rebels? Dr Aphra. She's great in the comics.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

twistedmentat posted:

I am surprised that there are people who still don't have Shbobdb on ignore.

You know who I'd love to see show up on Rebels? Dr Aphra. She's great in the comics.

I just want Triple-Zero to show up. His interactions with Chopper would be the stuff of legend. Especially if he's voiced by Creepio.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

banned from Starbucks posted:

Whats grimdark about a sopranos parody. That show was basically 50% comedy. Do you even know what grimdark means are do you just like using that term because you think it makes your poo poo opinion seem edgy?

People talking about making a Star Wars series like Sopranos or Game of Thrones is absolutely a Snyder-level "grimdark" pitch.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
She was dead, in a purposefully ambiguous presentation. Fan reaction convinced Filoni to reverse it, and he confirmed she's alive but not returning in Rebels at Celebration.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

TheBigBad posted:

She was dead, in a purposefully ambiguous presentation. Fan reaction convinced Filoni to reverse it, and he confirmed she's alive but not returning in Rebels at Celebration.

I don't know why I have you on ignore but thanks for being cool. Whatever it was that made that happen is now undone.

:3:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

VolticSurge posted:

I just want Triple-Zero to show up. His interactions with Chopper would be the stuff of legend. Especially if he's voiced by Creepio.

Yep, that would be amazing.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

VolticSurge posted:

The Auralnauts guys had some higher up guy at ilm on their podcast a few weeks ago, so there's at least connections there if someone seriously wanted to do this.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Counterpoint: The Nu-canon comics are almost all just as bad as old EU canon stuff.

I haven't read many but have read the basic plots of a bunch and they seem pretty bad. Would not want dr aphra showing up on rebels unless it was without Vader.

E: [insert darth general moncalamari grevious here]

drunkill fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 9, 2017

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

If Aphra showed up I feel like it would definitely be without Vader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The new comics range from "fine, but a bit forgettable" to "loving great" with the majority of them unfortunately massing towards the former category.

To get into specifics:

- Star Wars (Ongoing): Totally passable and worth a read, but not terribly memorable outside of the "Obi-Wan's Journal" side issues and that bit where the whole main cast got lightsabers and went ham with them

- Darth Vader: Mon-Cala-Grievous is a standout Dumb Thing for sure, but like Grievous himself, the whole point of his character is to be a inferior shadow of Vader himself, and is pretty much treated as such in the comic. Regardless, it's insane how they managed to make Vader/Aphra/Creepio/ArDIE work in a way that adds narrative depth to everyone involved.

- Chewbacca: Harmless little miniseries about a rebellious girl and her reluctant dog-person friend. Good art.

- Han Solo: HOLY poo poo THIS ART and the story's a little rote but HOLY poo poo THIS ART

- Princess Leia: Is profoundly boring. :sigh:

- Doctor Aphra: Is basically Indiana Jones in Space, right down to the ancient religions, rival-esque antagonists, and daddy issues . So far, a fun read.

- Shattered Empire: A decent epilogue to RotJ. Come for Poe's parents (don't actually come for Poe's parents), stay for the possible The Last Jedi foreshadowing.

- Lando: The premise is "Lando and his buddies accidentally steal the Emperor's ride". It delivers. :allears:

- Obi-Wan and Anakin: Come for the TCW-style salvaging of Anakin's character, stay for the wait I already did this bit

- Kanan - The Last Padawan: It's fine, I mainly remember this one for people losing their poo poo when it and a then-new episode of Rebels synced up and featured the same recurring character.

- Poe Dameron: Best currently-running comic at the moment. NAILS the dialogue in regards to Poe, I can practically hear Oscar Isaac whenever I read it. Is beginning to stretch it a bit with the whole "finding Lor San Dekka" plot arc.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 10, 2017

• Locked thread