Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

OxMan posted:

With the walking Jasons it is all about using your powers properly. I've posted about it a few pages ago but how you spend your pre warp time is also important (trapping phone, hacking nearby unvisited cabin doors down etc).
Let's say you're 5 minutes in, no kills, but you're keeping on top of the car and phone. You find a lone counselor, and they hop out a window. What you want to do is keep sense up to know where they are but not necessarily run right after. Morph out of the cabin as close as you can to the counselor. Save shift and stalk for when they're running out of stamina. If you ever have your cooldowns up and a counselor has stopped for stamina, stalk, and shift behind them, almost guaranteed grab. You want to be a threat and make counselors run, but don't want to blow your cooldowns until they're out of sight but in sense range.

Using Morph for short range teleport is extremely bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So apparently there's another way to glitch the map and make it near inaccessible for Jason to reach you.

I mean, at first it was hilarious to find that someone had suddenly appeared on the wardrobe. What was not fun was watching them just stand there for the match. Jason managed to get her with knives though, which was great.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

Playstation 4 posted:

Savini Jason

Realistically though, I've seen more salty nerd tears over the short window people could buy him on PSN whining about " :qq: My bakker sclusivity :qq:", but don't let that stop people like CareBearZ.

I'm lost here. I don't have the Savini Jason, but the amount of salty rage on the Steam forums is intense

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Savini Jason looks cool but it's not like he has extra, special powers. I think there's other Jasons who do what he can do slightly better.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Savini Jason looks cool but it's not like he has extra, special powers. I think there's other Jasons who do what he can do slightly better.

I heard this with the Payday 2 DLC as well. The whole "PAY TO WIN" moaning thing where it clearly isn't. I think people get stuck in an echo chamber sometimes and just never listen. I was arguing the Payday 2 thing with my real life friend for near enough an hour when it finally came to light he didn't even know Payday 2 was a co-op game. He'd thought it was PvP and was pissed that you could "buy" a rocket launcher.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

You can win with any Jason, but Savini Jason has a really good set of stats - he's arguably the strongest jason in the game on the weight of his strengths and weaknesses.

His strengths are really good - Shift is incredibly good out of the box - lower cooldown and covering more ground per shift is probably the single best benefit in the game, in terms of killing counselors. Morph is nice to have for getting around and covering objectives, but people can't accomplish objectives when they're dead and Shift is what seals the deal.
Weapon Strength is also really good and pretty much universally applicable - it makes your attacks hurt more, requiring fewer hits to bring counselors down to crippled level and giving you more bang for the buck for each throwing knife.
Destruction is probably the weakest overall of the strength perks he has, and it's still really good - you're always going to be breaking doors, and being able to do that faster means more time chasing down and murdering counselors and less time being stalled.

His weaknesses are also really minor drawbacks - Grip Strength might as well not even matter as a weakness, considering that it's impossible for even full composure counselors to break free unless you are trying to drag them to an environmental kill. Water Speed is similarly very minor - although it potentially might be the difference between catching the boat and not, better strengths (or a lack of more punishing weaknesses such as Shift or Morph) can make it less likely that counselors will get the boat running in the first place and the odds of it mattering are slim to none.
Finally, Can't Run is basically irrelevant, especially on the weight of having an improved Shift. Only two jasons don't have this as a drawback, meaning it's more of a default state than a weakness.

Compare this to something like Part 7 Jason, who has two irrelevant "strengths" (Grip and Water Speed) and a weak bonus (Sense is nice, but nowhere near as nice as Shift or Morph, especially since you can toggle it to reduce the recharge), and actually noticeable weaknesses - slower cooldowns on Shift hurts, and being stuck with fewer traps is also painful.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Drunken Baker posted:

I heard this with the Payday 2 DLC as well. The whole "PAY TO WIN" moaning thing where it clearly isn't. I think people get stuck in an echo chamber sometimes and just never listen. I was arguing the Payday 2 thing with my real life friend for near enough an hour when it finally came to light he didn't even know Payday 2 was a co-op game. He'd thought it was PvP and was pissed that you could "buy" a rocket launcher.

"I want to hit people hard" - Jason III does this better (movement speed)

"I want to destroy things" -Jason VIII does this better (no-animation trick)

"I want to shift-grab like a pro" -Jason IX does this better (he can stalk while he does this)

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Olesh posted:

I present to you, a story in five parts (thanks for clipping this off Jade's stream, Dev)

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

I think, even as a non-player, it is in my best interest to vouch for these and make sure as many people as possible see it.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

A. Beaverhausen posted:

God drat it I've been avoiding bathrooms.

:goonsay:

Typical unwashed goon!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tomahawk posted:

The shotgun always spawns at the same corner of the archery range

Coolguye posted:

A shotgun also spawns on the shelf in the Higgins Haven main cabin, middle room, first floor.

I've noticed it appears to spawn there any time it doesn't spawn in the barn.

TheAnomaly posted:

found out today the propeller can spawn in the bathroom on the shelves

I had no idea about any of this, awesome.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
For the record, flare gun much better than shotgun.

You won't kill some one with it by accident

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The loving shotgun man, I don't know what it is but people in this thread have seen it: I can't hit a shotgun blast at point blank but I can sharpshoot right to Jason's dome every time with the flare gun.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I love how the animation of using the shotgun and flare gun are completely optional.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
What is faster, Savini Jason killing a door in 3 shots in the animation, or Spear Jason 6 using the wall attack method 6 times?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Why would you ever use a water related perk? It makes no sense when boats aren't guaranteed to spawn and you don't swim to them.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Why is it that every host quits as soon as i'm about to win as Jason :sigh: This is twice now where i've murdered everybody in a single lobby and host quits right before they die.

I also wish the game made more of a deal of getting character unlocks, i just now realising that i had Part 7 Jason and Bugsy and i had no freaking clue until i was looking through my customization options.

Can't speak for the other versions but if you're playing it on Xbone it might simply be the game crashing. It feels like the game crashes every 4 games I play. I really wish they would prioritize fixing crashes and random drops over match making.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 8, 2017

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

What is faster, Savini Jason killing a door in 3 shots in the animation, or Spear Jason 6 using the wall attack method 6 times?

I can't seem to wall attack. Can someone explain how to do it a little better?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
You can't do it with a spear Jason.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
My favourite Jason is Part 2, mainly because he fits into my playstyle of making sure the counselors don't get the objectives without killing them for at least 5 minutes but making sure I scare the bejesus out of them. Lots of traps means I can secure objectives easily, quick morph means I can get around and secure objectives and smash generators, and running means I can keep up with most people and make sure they are nice and terrified for when the gloves come off and I start murdering.

Basically, I play Jason like he's a cat toying with his prey.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Olesh posted:

I present to you, a story in five parts (thanks for clipping this off Jade's stream, Dev)

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

Truly the Chad we deserve.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

"I want to hit people hard" - Jason III does this better (movement speed)

"I want to destroy things" -Jason VIII does this better (no-animation trick)

"I want to shift-grab like a pro" -Jason IX does this better (he can stalk while he does this)

What is the no-animation trick?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

One of the game's many, many bugs.

KOMI
Sep 21, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

What is the no-animation trick?

Use a Jason that isn't using a poker, go into combat stance and stand so that the door is on your side as you're facing right, and swing. You'll damage the door and not do the door-breaking animation.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

KOMI posted:

Use a Jason that isn't using a poker, go into combat stance and stand so that the door is on your side as you're facing right, and swing. You'll damage the door and not do the door-breaking animation.

And its fast than breaking down a door normally?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
much

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

KOMI posted:

By "poker" I'm assuming Part 6 spear Jason and Savini pitchfork will not work?

So this trick is faster then doing combat stance and whacking the door itself?

KOMI
Sep 21, 2005

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

By "poker" I'm assuming Part 6 spear Jason and Savini pitchfork will not work?

So this trick is faster then doing combat stance and whacking the door itself?

Sorry, I meant spear. Savinis Aquaman trident will work too. That added to his already existing perk of smashing doors down quicker than most, it's very effective.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I've been hearing a lot of talk about grab needing to be nerfed but I'm not sure I see it? Maybe the answer would be to have people have to tech out of the grab by hitting the correct random button instead of mashing to escape? As it stands it seems like mashing out is pretty much impossible unless the Jason player is getting greedy and trying to walk to an environmental kill that's too far away.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

When I'm a counselor: "grab is OP, nerf this poo poo"

When I'm Jason: "why is it so easy to escape grab? buff this poo poo"

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Kelp Plankton posted:

When I'm a counselor: "grab is OP, nerf this poo poo"

When I'm Jason: "why is it so easy to escape grab? buff this poo poo"

There are some people who have a minimum of 2 pocketknives on them at all times. (Duster)

There are some who seem to never have one. (Coolguy)

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
The other day I just had to pour gas in the boat and I was out, but that fucker Tommy brought Jason right to me. It's just the two of us now, and I have Mom's sweater, Firecrackers, and a Pocket Knife. I'm Deborah and I think I can totally do this. My plan is: Get grabbed, drop Firecrackers right next to me before I start to pour, then hit the sweater and leave Tommy to take care of business.

He just walks up and smacks me with a machete a couple times before Tommy whiffs and delivers the killing blow by accident.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

There are some people who have a minimum of 2 pocketknives on them at all times. (Duster)

Being Adam is great because you can rummage through dead counselors possessions without taking huge hits to you fear meter.

That is one downside of left click killing counselors.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

RichterIX posted:

I've been hearing a lot of talk about grab needing to be nerfed but I'm not sure I see it? Maybe the answer would be to have people have to tech out of the grab by hitting the correct random button instead of mashing to escape? As it stands it seems like mashing out is pretty much impossible unless the Jason player is getting greedy and trying to walk to an environmental kill that's too far away.

This is correct in 99% of cases. If you're playing a high composure character who hasn't been wounded/scared, you will still only break out of the grab if Jason chooses not to murder you immediately. The other 1% of cases are that there are a few locations where the ground/terrain prevents Jason from doing certain executions (it varies by execution), and if the Jason has only these equipped, he _must_ readjust his position/facing which can potentially buy enough time to break free.

Edit: Whether this is a problem that needs fixing is difficult to judge.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

my bad luck is legend

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH2dx-ZLXVI
It somewhat works.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This game may have more jank than references to the films.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One thing that's shockingly easy to forget is that Jason is a white guy.

Mostly because he's black/grey in like, half the movies he has appeared in.

This only really came to mind because the Freddy VS Jason Jason is coal black for some reason, and of all the Jasons they could have used for the thumbnail, they choose one of the ones that aren't in the game.

Outside of that boat car escape is a feature, not a bug.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Burkion posted:

One thing that's shockingly easy to forget is that Jason is a white guy.

Uh, is it?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lurdiak posted:

Uh, is it?

It's not something I really think about all that often because, again, most of the movies he's in, he's not white. He's not any skin color. Like, my mental image of Jason is Part 7 Jason, who is black/grey. That's the movie I watched the most as a kid and the design I love the most. It's not any huge thing or shocking revelation, just an idle thought.

Though I do remember being pleasantly surprised he was finally blonde in the remake. Never understood where red head Jason came from.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Burkion posted:

Though I do remember being pleasantly surprised he was finally blonde in the remake. Never understood where red head Jason came from.

I mean, like Jason, Irish Americans are considerably more likely to be both mentally disabled and prone to committing crimes. They were just being realistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Burkion posted:

It's not something I really think about all that often because, again, most of the movies he's in, he's not white. He's not any skin color. Like, my mental image of Jason is Part 7 Jason, who is black/grey. That's the movie I watched the most as a kid and the design I love the most. It's not any huge thing or shocking revelation, just an idle thought.

Part 2 Jason is pretty ambiguously haired. He's right in between blonde and red. Add some VHS fuzz, and...

• Locked thread