Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

So whats this season like? I'm about to start watching purely because I just realised that Carrie Coon is in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

Huh DJ Qualls was closed captioned as "The Golem" (which is a creature from Jewish folklore)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFpn3Cv2CE4

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

This season is ok but not as good as Fargo S1 or S2.

And then came episode 8.

It's fantastic again.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Ok so Xfinity is only letting me watch the recording that my parents made last night, but they hosed it up somehow and the recording didn't start until Mr. Wrench was cutting Nikki loose. What did I miss before then?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Ok so Xfinity is only letting me watch the recording that my parents made last night, but they hosed it up somehow and the recording didn't start until Mr. Wrench was cutting Nikki loose. What did I miss before then?

Varga's goons setting up the trap to overturn the bus.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Gorn Myson posted:

So whats this season like? I'm about to start watching purely because I just realised that Carrie Coon is in it.

It's good, and she gets a lot of screen time. In light of the past episode, I'd say it clears the same bar as S1 and S2. A little slower to start, though.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

This last episode had me ENTHRALLED. From start to finish. It's really hard to describe how everything clicked and fell into place in a way none of the other S3 episodes did. It managed to pluck a string and get a tone, and it's one of those that vibrates not quite like anything else has before. At least to me. I was rapt. The way sound was done at the start and the Danny Elfman score during the Emmet Goes to the Office scene. Bra-loving-vo.

Justin Credible fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 8, 2017

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I choose to believe that God Almighty, as played by Ray Wise, murdered the gently caress out of that stupid Russian with a weaponized kitten.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I must be the only one that didn't really like the last episode :(

I couldn't care less for pretty much any of the characters this season (other than Gloria), so the chase through the forest didn't really excite me (though it was well shot and suspenseful).
Also, when they first saw the bowling alley lights, I was wondering if that was a spaceship (due the the aliens thing earlier in this thread). But the Cohen Bros bowling alley scene was too confusing/out there for me. I'm not deep thinker, so this was just lost on me :(
Also I was really confused with what was happening to Emmit, but they explained that at the end. The omnipotent villains thing is also still bothering me with this season.
It was much faster paced, more violent so I can see how that's a relief for many.

One thing I do like doing is trying to figure out where they shot the various scenes, as I live in the city/area they shoot this show (all 3 seasons I believe).
I was debating going to a few of the places I recognize, and taking pics for this thread, but not sure how good that will be now that it's late spring here.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Kragger99 posted:

But the Cohen Bros bowling alley scene was too confusing/out there for me. I'm not deep thinker, so this was just lost on me :(

Some men just want a stack of pancakes and a V8. :shrug:

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
Upon further analysis, not much seems super relevant to the Book of Daniel, so yeah, I was just barking up the wrong tree, my bad.

I had the same reaction as Gloria to Ray :3:

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

I think this season has been amazing. Better than season 2 actually. The prison bus scene last episode was incredible, I was on the edge of my seat as soon as the camera panned over to Mr.Wrench. I couldn't wait for this episode and it didn't disappoint. The bowling alley scene was really surreal and funny and cool. drat good television.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

jfood posted:

I choose to believe that God Almighty, as played by Ray Wise, murdered the gently caress out of that stupid Russian with a weaponized kitten.

Ray Wise is actually playing a Jew cursed with immortality for picking on Jesus.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Holy poo poo, what an episode. It really brought the whole season together for me. The whole sequence from the start to the bowling alley was intense as poo poo.

Poor Yuri....

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol this episode was so good. Noah Hawley is loving amazing.

I still don't think it's as good as season 2 (yet), but more and more im thinking that season 2 is an absolute one-a-generation TV masterpiece that will not be equalled any time soon.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So do Varga's goons also have Schroedinger's competency? Like how do you perfectly execute an ambush on a prison transfer bus but then just let two unarmed, chained together prisoners walk away? I thought that might've been the plan, but nope. And then, now armed with crossbows, have them surrounded in an exposed position, but manage to lose a dude and an ear?

Still, the rest of the episode mostly made up for this. I'd just wish more of the season was like this, and we weren't getting there at episode eight.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This was probably the best episode of the season on the backs of Ray Wise and Nikki. I'm really glad she made it out OK with Mr. Wrench, that was quite harrowing even though as soon as she survived the initial attack you had to expect she was going to make it through, otherwise what would even be the point.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Now that Fargo went magic there's no telling what's going to happen. I'm starting to think Sy is going to wake up and find out everyone else is dead.

Did I miss an explanation on why no one has a gun? That certainly would have made things easier for the bad guys.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

mobby_6kl posted:

Like how do you perfectly execute an ambush on a prison transfer bus but then just let two unarmed, chained together prisoners walk away? I thought that might've been the plan, but nope. And then, now armed with crossbows, have them surrounded in an exposed position, but manage to lose a dude and an ear?

You... See how in the episode? The events seemed to follow logically enough. Keep in mind they were down a man because someone had to go and deal with the witnesses. Between needing to saw through the gate and the emergency exit, I think it's believable that they'd manage to slip out like that. The fight is silly, but it's fargo, we had UFO's and apache ninja's and deaf terminators.

Though I have to say the dude's ninja run and slash with the knife was pretty corny. Just stick that thing into the deaf guy's neck while you're behind him dude, don't just slightly cut the surface of his back.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I thought that was a pretty good tactic. They can't reload those crossbows fast enough, but they have two people chained together who can't move fast and a whole lot of arrows. After a couple of passes they'd be easy to subdue. We're still not sure if Varga wants Nikki dead or alive.

Unfortunately the fake cop didn't realize this wasn't Wrench's first rodeo.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

Now that Fargo went magic there's no telling what's going to happen. I'm starting to think Sy is going to wake up and find out everyone else is dead.

Did I miss an explanation on why no one has a gun? That certainly would have made things easier for the bad guys.

They're most likely illegal immigrants who can't afford to leave anything that would trace back to them? I pulled that out of my rear end, but it kind of makes sense?

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

Joe Gillian posted:

They're most likely illegal immigrants who can't afford to leave anything that would trace back to them? I pulled that out of my rear end, but it kind of makes sense?

Plus they probably didn't expect to have to chase Nikki through the woods. They expected her to be a sitting duck.

edit: oh hey someone bought me an av!! Thank you anonymous benefactor, I love it!

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Literal Jewish Wizard Out Of Nowhere feels like the world's greatest celebrity cameo and show crossover from Twin Peaks, which I'm watching for the first time along with the new season.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
I too disliked this episode. I suppose I am just not a fan of Noah Hawley or something, because I didn't like the latter episodes of Legion either. It's not bad, most of it is actually good by itself, sometimes great even, but overall there is just no subtlety to it. Like these 'mysterious' dudes monologueing about the Wikipedia page of the day... best part of the episode was Emmit just not listening to Vargas at all and interrupting his story on the Japanese soldier.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

oliwan posted:

I still don't think it's as good as season 2 (yet), but more and more im thinking that season 2 is an absolute one-a-generation TV masterpiece that will not be equalled any time soon.

Up until a couple of days I would have agreed with you, but then I started watching season 3 of Twin Peaks which is astoundingly great. Fargo Season 2 is utterly incredible though.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Didn't care for the episode and barring a big turnaround this season is turning out to be a huge disappointment for me. As someone else said, I'm just not invested in any of the characters except for Gloria and while seasons 1 and 2 definitely had some magical realism, this season just seems completely detached from reality in an unflattering way.

When the UFOs showed up in Season 2 it was a mindfuck. In this season 2 characters meet a wizard in an alternate dimension/plane of existence and it wasn't even that interesting or surprising.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Gorn Myson posted:

The weakest one by far, way too heavy on the surreal and the characters are far less developed than the earlier seasons.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Kragger99 posted:

I was wondering if that was a spaceship (due the the aliens thing earlier in this thread).

Why do people in this thread keep going on about aliens? That was last season's theme. They're not going to do it again. Season 1 was the devil incarnate, season 2 was aliens, season 3 is Jewish wizards

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Who is the wizard you all are referring to?

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Who is the wizard you all are referring to?

Paul Marrane, the guy in the bowling alley.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I'm not sure the writer room's switch from "True Crime/Criminal Cases We Read" to "Peter and the Wolf" is gonna pay off. I mean how back-loaded with character development/plot are these last two episodes gonna be? I'm not really digging Varga as a villain either; maybe his whole bulimia thing will be compelling? Also, Gloria's ineptitude with technology has got to kick in at some point...

Still a cool show, but I'm guessing a lot of the scatterbrain approach to this season had something to do with the US' political climate.

MoaM fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jun 9, 2017

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer
I am quite sure the pills that Vargas gave to Emmit weren't as mild as advertised and he slept through a few days while Vargas and his goon prepared a little goodbye theatre show. He will probably find out when they find the head of his wife in his fridge, a bottle of poison in his bathroom, his company imploding in a huge scammy shitfest and when he says "it was all Vargas!" everyone will say "Var-who? Does that guy even exist?".

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

You mean the pills that Emmitt faked having taken?

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

Klungar posted:

You mean the pills that Emmitt faked having taken?

Seriously? I must have missed that.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

dogboy posted:

Seriously? I must have missed that.

After he gets flopped on the bed and the goon leaves, he immediately reopens his eyes, and his hand holding the pills. That's when he goes to the police to confess.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
This has definitely been a weaker season than 1 or 2, but I like Varga more than many others, so I've been plenty happy with it. And then man... Episode 8. What a ride!

I'm currently watching Twin Peaks S3 and this felt like an intentional crossover. Someone called the Bowling Alley a Coen's Black Lodge and... it fits :tinfoil:

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I finally realized the aspect of the Cohen films they were going for this season. It's to make you feel like JK Simmons' character at the end of Burn After Reading.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I finally realized the aspect of the Cohen films they were going for this season. It's to make you feel like JK Simmons' character at the end of Burn After Reading.

"What did we learn?"
"...it's hard to say, sir."
"Well, I guess we learned not to do it again."

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
So did Yuria make it out of the bowling alley/afterlife/whatever, or is he still out looking for Nikki and Mr. Wrench three months later?

I'm guessing the vision of Helga and the other women may have been "oops, you're dead, welcome to hell", but I wasn't real clear on the meaning of the vision.

Overall I liked this episode a lot better than last week's, but I still feel like this season is a lot less coherent than the previous two. It's just sort of... all over the place, for better or worse. Especially Gloria's story; it just seems thrown in haphazardly, and I really like her character and wish we could see more.

Also, Varga has a real weird way of tying up loose ends that almost always attracts a lot more attention than they'd be resolving. It should catch up with him soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

mobby_6kl posted:

Like how do you perfectly execute an ambush on a prison transfer bus but then just let two unarmed, chained together prisoners walk away? I thought that might've been the plan, but nope. And then, now armed with crossbows, have them surrounded in an exposed position, but manage to lose a dude and an ear?

I don't understand the awe being placed on them ambushing the prison bus. Prisoners were being transported from a local station to presumably the only state prison within a 100 miles or so. There is also presumably a highway that runs between the two. It would not be hard to figure out the bus's route and lay in wait. Since everyone is chained up those transports they usually only have a driver and maybe one more officer, they're not troop carriers. As far as losing them in the opening, there was just the two of them at that point. They killed Qualls and got a lucky shot on Yuri. You could argue about plausibility but then I'd point out it's a tv show.

• Locked thread