Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The money making formula right now seems to be: 1) be PG-13, 2) have a lot of CG action scenes, 3) have plot and dialogue simple enough that you can market it to China
What's this supposed to mean?
That Hollywood thinks Chinese audiences are stupid?
Don't they think all audiences are stupid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Detective No. 27 posted:

*goes on a Charles Foster Kane rager on all my DC collectibles*

WHAT ABOUT SHAZAM!?!?

It's still slated for an April 5 2019 release. The DCEU already has at least 10 films at some level of active production and they're just adding Justice League Dark and Batgirl to the list.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Charlz Guybon posted:

What's this supposed to mean?
That Hollywood thinks Chinese audiences are stupid?
Don't they think all audiences are stupid?

Movies need to have universal themes that translate easily between cultures, not just language.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Spidey meets a celebrity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjbjAeGm3k8

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Movies need to have universal themes that translate easily between cultures, not just language.

CGI explosions are the true universal cypher.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/TheAcademy/status/872676705206325248

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

WB will screw up Justice League Dark by not casting Matt Ryan as Constantine.

They'll probably get Kit Harrington instead.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

They should get Keanu Reeves back.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Triple H for Constantine.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I hope the movie JLDark doesn't follow the plot of the animated JLDark.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I didn't knew the Robot Chicken guys worked for Mattel now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3evaO9iGzWQ

https://jointheleague.dccomics.com/post/justice-league-mattel-multiverse-figure-batmobile-first-look-reveal

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Hell yeah

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, this would own so hard. Retcon his Constantine movie to be part of the DCEU because it's awesome.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I loved how they depicted the heaven and hell in Constantine.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Jimbot posted:

Magic: The Gathering

I haven't paid attention to M:TG in 20 years. I did not like initial comic book adaptation. Has it gotten any better?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Freakazoid_ posted:

When I arrived at the midnight showing for Deadpool, there were several children present in the theater. One of them was so enthusiastic, he couldn't stop talking about every little bit of trivia to every person seated next to him. That kid loving loved deadpool and he probably saw his first pair of naked tiddies on film that night.

lol

this is 2017 gramps

kids see their first hardcore throatfucking at age 6 when they get their first iphone

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Zzulu posted:

lol

this is 2017 gramps

kids see their first hardcore throatfucking at age 6 when they get their first iphone

I think you're exaggerating, but even if you're not, 99% of everyone who ever lived grew up in a cave, tent or one room hut and saw their parents/relatives/neighbors go at it live their whole childhood. So it doesn’t really matter. It's probably not going to effect them long term.

On the other hand, the vast majority of people who ever lived were violent psychos by todays standards. So maybe it will?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Charlz Guybon posted:

I think you're exaggerating, but even if you're not, 99% of everyone who ever lived grew up in a cave, tent or one room hut and saw their parents/relatives/neighbors go at it live their whole childhood. So it doesn’t really matter. It's probably not going to effect them long term.

On the other hand, the vast majority of people who ever lived were violent psychos by todays standards. So maybe it will?

:allears:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Freakazoid_ posted:

I haven't paid attention to M:TG in 20 years. I did not like initial comic book adaptation. Has it gotten any better?

As I aged I realized licensed novels are trash, but I still love the Brother's War and Ice Age books and think they could make great movie adaptations in the right hands.

I mean, just taking the basic concepts of two brothers destroying their continents with their advanced machines because they found themselves on opposite sides of a war is great.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Black Panther and Aquaman are like the only upcoming comic book movies I'm interested in.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I too am excited about Black Panther, but that is a such a boring poster.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah what is that background even supposed to be? Also the perspective on that chair vs the rest of the scene is fuuuuuuuuuuucked

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I wanna see what the costume actually looks like in motion in BP because it looked like really fake and plastic-y CGI in Civil War. But so did the Spider-Man costume in that movie.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mierenneuker posted:

I too am excited about Black Panther, but that is a such a boring poster.

There hasn't been a good movie poster in 20 years.

I don't think anyone cares anymore. They just give a headshot and font to someone with photoshop.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
That poster is boring as gently caress but there's a teaser trailer coming today so that's exciting.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Oh boy, is always fun to read unsourced "rumors" about the DCEU

quote:

Justice League

Joss Whedon was called to streamline the narrative after mixed reactions from test-screenings. WB is determined to make the movie a critical and commercial hit, especially after WONDER WOMAN was so praised. Superman’s storyline is being changed the most due to the criticisms that the character has gathered so far, and he’ll return to life with a much approachable personality and upbeat demeanor. Wonder Woman will also get more scenes due to her newfound popularity, but even beforehand the final battle would take place in Themyscira. Whedon is directing these reshoots due to Zack Snyder’s departure, and WB is courting him to direct a sequel.

Aquaman

Currently filming. WB believes the movie can be as successful and profitable as WONDER WOMAN is at the moment. Plot centers on Aquaman and Mera joining forces to prevent Aquaman’s uncle Nereus from usurping the throne, while also fighting Black Manta, who is working for Nereus and wants revenge against Aquaman for the death of his father. Orm isn’t a villain yet but there are tensions between him and Aquaman and a love triangle between them and Mera.

Batgirl

Script development. WB has fast-tracked it, but it might be delayed if Whedon accepts to direct JUSTICE LEAGUE 2. Envisioned as a lower budget, teenage appeal movie. Batgirl will be in high school. J.K. Simmons expected to appear. No word on Ben Affleck, though.

Justice League Dark.

Script development. WB has fast-tracked the movie for a potential late 2018 release date. Andres Muschetti is the frontrunner to direct. Plot centers on John Constantine, Zatanna, Etrigan, Deadman and Swamp Thing fighting Anton Arcane. WB still wants to cast Colin Farrell as Constantine.

The Batman

Script development. Matt Reeves just began developing the story with Geoff Johns and Chris Terrio. Deathstroke is still slated to play the villain, and Ben Affleck, Jeremy Irons, J.K. Simmons, Joe Manganiello and Jared Leto are locked in. Several classic villains are expected to appear, and Josh Gad, Haley Bennett, John Gleese and Anthony Hopkins have been approached to play the Penguin, Catwoman, William Wintergreen and Rupert Thorne, respectively.

The Flash

Script development. Joby Harold wrote the latest draft, which features Barry Allen fighting the Rogues (Captain Cold, Mirror Master, Weather Wizard and Heatwave). They’re being reinvented as a rogue military unit that has stolen cutting-edge weapons technology from the government, and Barry’s accident is also being linked to a government experiment headlined by Jay Garrick. The Reverse Flash is alluded, but won’t appear in the first movie. WB is pursuing Robert Zemeckis to direct. Matthew Vaughn has already dropped out, and Tim Miller and Jordan Peele have also been approached.

Shazam

Early development. Darren Lemke wrote the latest draft, which features Billy Batson being recruited by the wizard Shazam to stop his fallen champion Black Adam, before the two join forces to prevent Dr. Sivana from unleashing an accident monster, the Sabbac, in his mad pursue for magical power. It’s heavily inspired by Geoff Johns’ New 52 version, with Freddy Freeman and Mary Bromfield as Billy’s foster siblings. John F. Sandberg and Jordan Vogt-Roberts are the current frontrunners to direct.

Black Adam

Early development. Dwayne Johnson wants to bring his frequent collaborators Brad Peyton and Carlton Cuse to work on the movie, which is slated to explore Black Adam’s life in ancient Egypt and feature Vandal Savage as the villain.

Nightwing

Early development, with Chris McKay slated to direct based on a pitch featuring Nightwing fighting the Red Hood. The projection has lost traction recently, particularly after the TITANS TV show which also tentatively features Dick Grayson was greenlit. WB was also displeased with McKay's ideas for the project.

Gotham City Sirens

Early development. Christina Hodson wrote the latest draft, which features Harley Quinn, Catwoman and Poison Ivy being manipulated and doublecrossed by Black Mask in the robbery of a shipment of Venom and joining forces to take him down. David Ayer is still slated to direct, but shooting, which was originally slated for late 2017, was delayed due to script issues and Ayer’s commitment to the SCARFACE reboot. Margot Robbie will return as Harley Quinn and so will Bennett should she accept to play Catwoman. Emily Blunt and Jessica Chastain are among studio picks for Poison Ivy.

Suicide Squad 2

Early development. Adam Cozad wrote the latest draft, which ties in with GOTHAM CITY SIRENS and features the Suicide Squad being deployed to stop Bane’s Venom running empire in Santa Prisca. Killer Frost and Blockbuster are slated to join the team. Jaume Collet-Serra, Daniel Espinosa, Patrick Hughes and Niels Arden Oplev are in the running to direct. Mel Gibson already dropped out.

Man of Steel 2.

Early development. WB is meeting with prospective writers to discuss story ideas, but directors have been approached yet. They want to use Brainiac as the villain.

Wonder Woman 2

Fast-tracked due to WONDER WOMAN's success. Allan Heimberg and Patty Jenkins slated to return. The movie will be set on present day. There's no story yet other than Heimberg and Jenkins' basic outline of where they want to take it.

Green Lantern Corps.

Early development. David Goyer and Justin Rhodes are writing the first draft of the script, which features Hal Jordan and John Stewart as rivals who are recruited to integrate the Green Lantern Corps and must learn how to work together as partners. In an effort to distance itself from the failed 2011 movie, Sinestro will not be featured at all, and the villains will be the Manhunters.

Cyborg

Early development. WB is meeting with prospective writers to discuss story ideas, but directors have been approached yet. How much traction the project gets is entirely dependent on how well Cyborg ressonates with the audience once JUSTICE LEAGUE comes out. Grid is slated to be the villain.

Booster Gold

The original version of the project written and directed by Greg Berlanti is dead. WB didn't like his ideas and they parted aways amicably. WB is now meeting with prospective writers to discuss now story ideas and "reshuffle" the project.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Oh boy, is always fun to read unsourced "rumors" about the DCEU

Most of that is stuff that is already confirmed.

The Batman and Nightwing stuff is the only section that is almost all unconfirmed or not announced before.

Whedon did a pass on Justice League months ago. There are significant reshoots (Superman coming back different and Whedon being approached to do JL2 are the only JL things that aren't confirmed).

Patty Jenkins technically isn't attached to Wonder Woman 2 yet, either. But pretty much everyone expects that she will be.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Whedon did a pass on Justice League months ago. There are significant reshoots (Superman coming back different and Whedon being approached to do JL2 are the only JL things that aren't confirmed).

You know this is going to be the big takeaway that internet readers are going to have though.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Whedon's best work in movies is doing a pass on a script. He's generally good at punching up or streamlining things, or making them not approachable for a mass audience. It's when he had complete creative control you run into problems.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Most of that is stuff that is already confirmed.

The Batman and Nightwing stuff is the only section that is almost all unconfirmed or not announced before.

Patty Jenkins technically isn't attached to Wonder Woman 2 yet, either. But pretty much everyone expects that she will be.

Love him or hate him for his scripts and dialog, his movies have a pretty loving bland and unchallenging visual look. :ohdear:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Whedon's best work in movies is doing a pass on a script. He's generally good at punching up or streamlining things, or making them not approachable for a mass audience. It's when he had complete creative control you run into problems.

I'm not saying you're wrong, because I don't know what movies he's done this for, but X-Men is one of them, right? With the infamous Toad line?

I don't dislike Whedon, just asking.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

thrawn527 posted:

I'm not saying you're wrong, because I don't know what movies he's done this for, but X-Men is one of them, right? With the infamous Toad line?

I don't dislike Whedon, just asking.

Yeah, but he also had the "you're a dick" line, so it's kind of a wash.

He worked on the Speed script and improved the Alan Ruck character, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as a script doctor. I definitely don't want him writing and directing JL2 though.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
He's done a huge amount of uncredited script doctoring over the years, and iirc, he got his name doing that before getting to make Buffy.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

MacheteZombie posted:

He's done a huge amount of uncredited script doctoring over the years, and iirc, he got his name doing that before getting to make Buffy.

Yeah, Toy Story is another big one I know he worked on.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Toy Story and Speed were the examples I was going to go with. X-Men too toad line aside.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I implore you, movie gods, to smile upon your most humble petitioners at CineD, and give us a home media release of Justice League that lets us compare how Zack Snyder and Joss Whedon shoot the resurrection of a god. As my offering, I burn the Despecialized Edition of A New Hope to a Blu-ray in your name.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also, one thing the unconfirmed rumors leaves out that really paints what kind of narrative they want to tell VS what the reality is

Snyder asked Whedon to do it personally. This isn't some panic move by the studio- Snyder reached out to Whedon to help him with the second pass at the script, mostly the dialogue.

Can't wait to hear nerds praise Justice League's strengths thanks to Whedon and decry whatever failings it has because of Snyder! That won't get insufferable!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Burkion posted:

Can't wait to hear nerds praise Justice League's strengths thanks to Whedon and decry whatever failings it has because of Snyder! That won't get insufferable!

That would just be like a Find+Replace of this thread and people still read it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sir Kodiak posted:

I implore you, movie gods, to smile upon your most humble petitioners at CineD, and give us a home media release of Justice League that lets us compare how Zack Snyder and Joss Whedon shoot the resurrection of a god. As my offering, I burn the Despecialized Edition of A New Hope to a Blu-ray in your name.

I doubt that particular kind of scene would be reshot, it sounds more like dialogue changes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I doubt that particular kind of scene would be reshot, it sounds more like dialogue changes

A man can dream, can't he?

• Locked thread