Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

3.6 GB RAM? Seems odd. What phone has the most RAM out there now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The Merkinman posted:

No site should have ads, I'm entitled to free content.

Considering the general tastelessness and more importantly the absolutely enormous privacy and security hole that ads represent... Yes. If there was a standard that sites adhered to that enforced security and privacy it would be acceptable, but that doesn't exist.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

cage-free egghead posted:

Please be 5.6" but with smaller chin and forehead.

lol this isn't the place for your weird science fanfic

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Boywunda posted:

That's just how 4GB of RAM are displayed on that site. There are some Xiaomi phones out there with 6GB of RAM and the Oneplus 5 is set to release with 8GB.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Boywunda posted:

I think that means 4GB with a chunk reserved for VRAM (dunno if Android works like that though)

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Taffer posted:

Considering the general tastelessness and more importantly the absolutely enormous privacy and security hole that ads represent... Yes. [quote]Lol good job agreeing with the False Dichotomy I was making fun of. [quote="Taffer" post="473215127"]If there was a standard that sites adhered to that enforced security and privacy it would be acceptable, but that doesn't exist.

There is. Also, Chrome will block ads that don't follow that next year.

I'll stop now since I don't want to derail.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

Showed up on GFXBench, big grain of salt recommended:

No altimeter no sale

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Boywunda posted:

It's most likely just the difference between the way RAM is advertised vs the way it's actually measured. If that image is real then the Pixel 2 will have 4 GB of RAM.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Desk Lamp posted:

It's most likely just the difference between the way RAM is advertised vs the way it's actually measured. If that image is real then the Pixel 2 will have 4 GB of RAM.

4GB is 3.725 GiB, so that doesn't line up.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

^^^ oh my god an electronic device isn't going to ship with 3.874813648212342 GB of RAM, it has 4GB, full stop. Some RAM is reserved for video, and it's a display thing.

B-b-b-but I expect a 2017 phone to have at least 8GB of RAM

-a oneplus user

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 9, 2017

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

^^^ oh my god an electronic device isn't going to ship with 3.874813648212342 GB of RAM, it has 4GB, full stop. Some RAM is reserved for video, and it's a display thing.

Except all they're saying is the guess that was quoted isn't correct.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Desk Lamp posted:

If that image is real then the Pixel 2 will have 4 GB of RAM.

This part at least is accurate. Here's how the S7 is displayed for comparison:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

So...the "leak" is that the Pixel 2 is like the Pixel except a bit better.

I'm amazed.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Thermopyle posted:

I'm amazed.

Well most sequels are worse than the original, I don't know what you were expecting

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Thermopyle posted:

I'm amazed.

I think the one interesting takeaway is that, provided the information is accurate, the Pixel will feature a 2:1 aspect ratio screen, something that I would not have taken as a given.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

I'm amazed.

The screen ratio is interesting (which may mean smaller bezels?), but I think the things I'm looking forward to the most in the Pixel 2 aren't items that would show up on that spec list. Waterproofing, physical design, maybe stereo speakers, etc.

Also if it's the SD835 that will be noticeably faster on Pixel quality software/OS!

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Do we "know" who is making the next Pixel? Is it HTC again?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

The Merkinman posted:

Is it HTC again?

Supposedly, yes.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Merkinman posted:

Do we "know" who is making the next Pixel? Is it HTC again?

Doesn't really matter tbh, the relationship here is the same as Foxconn to Apple, no one buys a "Foxconn phone".

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

CLAM DOWN posted:

Doesn't really matter tbh, the relationship here is the same as Foxconn to Apple, no one buys a "Foxconn phone".
Yes I'm sure the owners of the LG Nexus 5X are all 100% satisfied with the manufacturer of their device!

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Syrinxx posted:

Yes I'm sure the owners of the LG Nexus 5X are all 100% satisfied with the manufacturer of their device!
Slightly different situation seeing as the Pixel didn't have a HTC logo on the back of it

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

Totally different situation but cheers mate

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Syrinxx posted:

Pixel development isn't he same as Nexus development.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CLAM DOWN posted:

B-b-b-but I expect a 2017 phone to have at least 8GB of RAM

-a oneplus user

No poo poo. The point is, it's not GiB/GB fuckery doing it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Syrinxx posted:

Really should have known better than to buy something from the manufacturer of the G2x

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The Merkinman posted:

There is. Also, Chrome will block ads that don't follow that next year.

I'll stop now since I don't want to derail.

Too late, and too bad.

You want me to see your ads? Take personal liability for them, and not the wimp-rear end binding-arbitration kind. (This also means you probably shouldn't outsource your ads to someone who only inspects them for malware or scams retroactively.)

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I don't adblock in Chrome on my Pixel and I've never had any issue with ads on Android Police. I mean, I'd rather they not be there if I had the option but they're certainly not intrusive.

I mean maybe they're not intrusive to you, but when an ad pops up RIGHT where you'd expect the comments to be just so you can hit it accidentally, or when an ad is in the middle of an article and you accidentally tap it while scrolling, I'd call that obnoxious and intrusive to the experience of the website.

Tamba posted:

I'm using NoScript with Firefox. If I block everything on the page, I can see the article, if I allow just androidpolice.com, I get that "don't block our ads/scripts"-page.

I tried this on Firefox and it only seems to actually work on Firefox. If I block everything on Chrome, it blocks all of the CSS and JavaScript. Still readable but yeah.

It's almost as if this is just targeting Chrome for the shenanigans. :v:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oh man, ads or comments...which is worse?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

I mean maybe they're not intrusive to you, but when an ad pops up RIGHT where you'd expect the comments to be just so you can hit it accidentally, or when an ad is in the middle of an article and you accidentally tap it while scrolling, I'd call that obnoxious and intrusive to the experience of the website.

I tried this on Firefox and it only seems to actually work on Firefox. If I block everything on Chrome, it blocks all of the CSS and JavaScript. Still readable but yeah.

It's almost as if this is just targeting Chrome for the shenanigans. :v:

You should improve your life by pretending comments sections don't exist.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Oh man, ads or comments...which is worse?

Comment blocking is something I'd keep over ad blocking for sure. Hell, I'd be willing to replace comments with ads in what I think is a straight up win-win for both me and the site.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Is there a chrome based browser with ad blocking on Android that works well? It's all I really want but each one I tried either let some ads still through or blocked more than just ads on other sites. Firefox with ublock works for adblocking great but man I really hated that browser otherwise.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Use the Samsung browser if you ahve a supported phone or adguard otherwise

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Well my Galaxy S8 is kissing the bottom of the Bow River right now. Decided to try out a Pixel XL from swappa, lets see how the hype is.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

LastInLine posted:

Comment blocking is something I'd keep over ad blocking for sure. Hell, I'd be willing to replace comments with ads in what I think is a straight up win-win for both me and the site.

There used to be a Chrome extension that would replace comments with random Richard Feynman quotes - was great while it worked.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

Get the Anker. They sell directly on Amazon (no other sellers/counterfeiters to deal with), work and are cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017...K47L&ref=plSrch

If an item has multiple sellers, the way Amazon works you can't guarantee you'll get the item from that specific vendor as Amazon mixes stock from different vendors if it's "fulfilled by Amazon". Which is part of the reason there's a staggering amount of terrible counterfeits clogging their store.

I know Amazon is a mess. I ordered the Aukey from seller "Aukey Direct" that had good seller ratings.

We'll see what happens. I've been burned by cheap electronics on Amazon before. Almost literally. I asked itt which off brand battery to buy for my LG G3 awhile ago. I got it, phone didn't display as charging. But within seconds it smelled like burning and the phone, battery, cable, everything was too hot to touch. A little longer and it may have caught fire/exploded. Luckily all that heat didn't destroy the phone. Threw out the cable I used because I'm sure it was partially melted inside or whatever.

Thank you though. Saving the link for the Anker in case the Aukey is for home heating and not device charging.

e: It was a different thread but it was on these forums!

fartzone_42069 fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 10, 2017

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Updated to Andoid 7.0 and now Windows can't connect to my S7 Edge via USB. It worked just fine before, but now suddenly it refuses. I've double-checked all my settings, checked the drivers, installed a half a dozen apps and programs trying to find a workaround, and have been fiddling with it for over an hour. But Windows flat out insists the phone doesn't exist and vice versa. It doesn't show up in device manager or file explorer, and the phone itself doesn't even give an option to connect via USB. It'll charge, but will not recognize that it's connected to an actual computer. MTP is on. It's like both my computer and my phone have no idea they are connected to each other at all.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

vyst posted:

Well my Galaxy S8 is kissing the bottom of the Bow River right now. Decided to try out a Pixel XL from swappa, lets see how the hype is.

At least it won't hurt anyone when the S8s start detonating.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Esroc posted:

Updated to Andoid 7.0 and now Windows can't connect to my S7 Edge via USB. It worked just fine before, but now suddenly it refuses. I've double-checked all my settings, checked the drivers, installed a half a dozen apps and programs trying to find a workaround, and have been fiddling with it for over an hour. But Windows flat out insists the phone doesn't exist and vice versa. It doesn't show up in device manager or file explorer, and the phone itself doesn't even give an option to connect via USB. It'll charge, but will not recognize that it's connected to an actual computer. MTP is on. It's like both my computer and my phone have no idea they are connected to each other at all.

Just to be sure, have you tried a different USB port? What happens if you completely uninstall/delete the drivers then plug the phone in?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Esroc posted:

This is a thing you fix in windows, it was a common problem after some patch went out. Try some googling about the issue and you can find the fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Just to be sure, have you tried a different USB port? What happens if you completely uninstall/delete the drivers then plug the phone in?

Just figured it out. I guess something is up with my USB cable. Dug out another one and it worked fine. Of course I'm a dumbass for wasting an hour and not trying the obvious and checking the cable first thing. Proceed with the pointing and laughing. I deserve it.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 10, 2017