Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

CaptainBtaksDad posted:

its weird theres a random thread once or twice a week where you can be salty but do it outside that randomly chosen thread and you get torn a new rear end in a top hat.

You of all people should be familiar with the concept of safe spaces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

DarkRefreshment posted:

hmm CIG screwing math.

1000mbps down gets about .125 GB a second. The patch size is like 30 so that's about 4 minutes to download the package (assuming the drive is writing that fast). Also, you never get a full 1000 every second so let's say it takes 6 minutes to download. That's 10 times an hour I could download the whole game.About 240 times a day at 7.2 TB. At the 9 cents estimate a gig a day that's $648 a day. Even if they are getting a discount that could easily be $500 a day. In a month it would cost them a competitionist package.

Surely they are monitoring this kind of stuff with that crack team of network engineers and would catch it well before then.

I know my IP didn't change and I fell off their blacklist maybe a month ago. imo that is ineptitude but reddit could call it a "smart" greylist.

Confirmation the entire team is fresh graduates and interns as far as I'm concerned.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dongsturm posted:

I can't follow the logic here.

Hackers: "we're thing to release details of your upcoming game to the press. It will be front page news"

Cdprojektred: "thanks?"

Plus anything that gets negative feedback can be quietly dropped with "Of course that's not in the game anymore. As we said, the documents don't represent the game as it is now." I'm surprised more companies don't test the waters like this.

CaptainBtaksDad
Jun 3, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

notoriousman posted:

You of all people should be familiar with the concept of safe spaces.

Tim likes to feel safe but there be stalkers on reddit.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Wait hold the gently caress up, people played ME3 and then went ahead and bought the new ME at launch? LMAO.

CaptainBtaksDad
Jun 3, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I have an excuse I have a short memory and am a stupid piece of poo poo

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Imagine how good video games would be if gamers managed to not pre order video games.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

If i preorder I will get a shotgun that I will replace 20 minutes into the game, gently caress yes sign me up for a 150$ deluxe edition why don't you?

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
I bought ME:A and I found it decent in large parts, mediocre in equally large parts, horrendously stupid and bad in minor parts, and very good in equally minor parts with some flashes of old greatness. All in all, I don't regret the hours I spent in it and would probably have looked forward to a sequel had it not been shitcanned :shrug:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

How very cyberpunk.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Bioware- trust us development for the game is really far ahead sure we aren't showing you anything but we soon will no this isn't a sign of troubled development trust us.

Internally scrambling around as the staff crunches forever, constant scope change and most of the development been done in a short amount of time despite being in production for like 5 years.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sandweed posted:

Imagine how good video games would be if gamers managed to not pre order video games.

You can still refund a pre-order

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
Wasnt something meant to hit avocado this week?

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Golli posted:

The difference here is that instead of letting you take the tote bag home, an MMO insists that you leave the tote bag in a locker on their premises, and they promise to let you use it whenever you want. Because they have failed to properly secure the premises, they have a duty to restore the property that you are now deprived of use. In the case of both a tote bag or a jpeg, these are of nominal intrinsic value and thus should be quickly and easily replaced. If the items are not quickly and easily replaced, then the claim that the items are of nominal intrinsic value is less plausible, and opens up an alternative interpretation. That the money you pay an MMO is locker rental, and if the company is at fault (by using cheap locks, etc) they could be responsible to return the rent paid on the locker and/or the value of its contents. -not a lawyer-

Is that really going to be the case for stolen accounts though? I would imagine most stolen account occur not because someone breaks into the metaphorical locker, but because someone steals the key from you, which you had an implied duty to protect. Hell, an actual locker place would probably charge you for key and lock replacement.

Also a real life locker rental place would have an ironclad term of service that states they aren't responsible for the contents of the locker, and can't guarantee its safety.

Speaking of metaphors, I know I'm just a pleb lurker, but why do people mock "huge milestone" so much? It seems pretty clear to me that "huge" isn't part of the metaphor, and the phrase is just denoting that you've passed a metaphorical milestone that has a contextual significance or importance, hence it's a huge "milestone", not a "huge milestone". I would understand getting annoyed at people who mix metaphors and talk about hitting milestones, rather than passing milestones and hitting targets (though I am totally okay with visualisation of CIG constantly hitting huge milestones), but this seems to be making a mountain out of a molehill.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Baxta posted:

Wasnt something meant to hit avocado this week?

The day is still young and they have until 23:59!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Deathsquid posted:

Seen: Surprised Dune worm
Not seen: Fast-approaching Olisar ring armada
Considering the habit of the Olisar rings to attach to other things, Chris might end up with the world's first giant space ringworm, at least. It would probably be his most original creation yet.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ubik_Lives posted:

Speaking of metaphors, I know I'm just a pleb lurker, but why do people mock "huge milestone" so much? It seems pretty clear to me that "huge" isn't part of the metaphor, and the phrase is just denoting that you've passed a metaphorical milestone that has a contextual significance or importance, hence it's a huge "milestone", not a "huge milestone". I would understand getting annoyed at people who mix metaphors and talk about hitting milestones, rather than passing milestones and hitting targets (though I am totally okay with visualisation of CIG constantly hitting huge milestones), but this seems to be making a mountain out of a molehill.
Because a milestone is an indicator of progress, and Star Citizen doesn't have any.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Bear asses confirmed for 3.0?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Ubik_Lives posted:

Is that really going to be the case for stolen accounts though? I would imagine most stolen account occur not because someone breaks into the metaphorical locker, but because someone steals the key from you, which you had an implied duty to protect. Hell, an actual locker place would probably charge you for key and lock replacement.

Also a real life locker rental place would have an ironclad term of service that states they aren't responsible for the contents of the locker, and can't guarantee its safety.
So when lawyers talk about property, they talk about "a bundle of rights" that denote ownership under the law. The right to possession, the right of disposal, the right of exclusivity, etc. With our figurative NPR totebag, that's obvious: I can use, sell, junk, lend, or refuse to lend it any way I like. I own it, unambiguously, under classical notions of property law.

With an account full of jpegs, what do I actually "own"? I don't have an exclusive right to the jpeg, which may be multiplied endlessly; that's considered the intellectual property of the company. Can I give it away? Maybe, but there are likely in-game rules about that which everyone is probably going to not challenge because it may break the game otherwise. (As an example, to prevent the sort of twinking/boosting that tended to plague EQ1, WoW popularized the concept of binding an item the character so it was not tradable. This is not a controversial concept nowadays and is an intrinsic part of the game's balance.) I can dispose of items, sure, but I am not necessarily allowed to dispose of the account in any manner inconsistent with the ToS, which haven't really been challenged on the merits. I basically have a license to go onto the servers and accumulate entries in a database. Whether that counts as an existing type of property that is simply measured differently than before, inasmuch as your bank balance is cash money but a number in a computer as opposed to a pile of literal dollars in a vault, or something new and undefined has to my knowledge not been settled as a point of law. If someone breaks into a bank's systems and siphons money, that's a million different felonies.

An online account holding jpegs? We don't know. At worst, so far, it may only be unlawful use of a computer system. It's not, per se, theft, under how the courts would view it, and couldn't be prosecuted as such.

Property law is an accretion of literal centuries of court cases and statutes. This sort of intangible definition of property is not unknown, but it's been the sort of thing that a lawmaker (king, Congress, etc.) comes out and states in unambiguously language that "here's a new form of property," and that's not happened. Yet.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Virtual Captain posted:

Bear asses confirmed for 3.0?

can't have an mmo without collecting loads of bear asses

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

drat that's a sick burn

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Dongsturm posted:

I can't follow the logic here.

Hackers: "we're thing to release details of your upcoming game to the press. It will be front page news"

Cdprojektred: "thanks?"

Depend of the content of the file.

Remember that 60$ monocle memo that forced CCP to flew its biggest whales in for emergency meetings during the "Burn Jita" event ? The file may be full of little tidbits like "How do we monetize this ? Could we charge more ? Will the player accept "X" ?

Sometime early work is scrapped for a good reason (and not the rambling of a manchild playing director with undeserved M$) and maybe the early works is really unflatering to the subject. Earliest screenshoot of Starcraft looked like a flat, neon colored Warcraft 2 and yet the end result became a South Korean religion.

All of the above could have little real impact on the final product quality, but could damage its perception in the gamers media, thus affecting CD projekt red stock price.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Virtual Captain posted:

In other massive delay news:

I'm not sure if it counts as a massive delay when there's no official release date at all.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Star Citizen: Best Downtime Space Simulator Ever

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal

big nipples big life posted:

wait, i thought they layered in code on top of the fidelity. this game recipe is confusing :confused:

It's like my pop's pizza; instead of cheese you double layer fidelity.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:
lmao, checking in again... 2 minutes in the new ATV, did Sandi get a boobjob?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

:yikes:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

Probably not something we should speculate too heavily on, lest the thread gets gross again.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

kw0134 posted:

So when lawyers talk about property, they talk about "a bundle of rights" that denote ownership under the law. The right to possession, the right of disposal, the right of exclusivity, etc. With our figurative NPR totebag, that's obvious: I can use, sell, junk, lend, or refuse to lend it any way I like. I own it, unambiguously, under classical notions of property law.

With an account full of jpegs, what do I actually "own"? I don't have an exclusive right to the jpeg, which may be multiplied endlessly; that's considered the intellectual property of the company. Can I give it away? Maybe, but there are likely in-game rules about that which everyone is probably going to not challenge because it may break the game otherwise. (As an example, to prevent the sort of twinking/boosting that tended to plague EQ1, WoW popularized the concept of binding an item the character so it was not tradable. This is not a controversial concept nowadays and is an intrinsic part of the game's balance.) I can dispose of items, sure, but I am not necessarily allowed to dispose of the account in any manner inconsistent with the ToS, which haven't really been challenged on the merits. I basically have a license to go onto the servers and accumulate entries in a database. Whether that counts as an existing type of property that is simply measured differently than before, inasmuch as your bank balance is cash money but a number in a computer as opposed to a pile of literal dollars in a vault, or something new and undefined has to my knowledge not been settled as a point of law. If someone breaks into a bank's systems and siphons money, that's a million different felonies.

Is that significantly different to a software license though? I don't have an exclusive right to Windows 10, I can't give it away, but I could dispose of it. But if someone takes my Windows 10 key, they've denied me access to my licensed software. Or stealing your iTunes or Amazon Movies accounts. I don't own any of that stuff, I just have an agreement with the people who do. I feel like this must have been settled in a court somewhere. It can't be that there has never been a case involving someone being caught stealing laptops, with the contents of those laptops being considered either way for restitution.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

Probably not something we should speculate too heavily on, lest the thread gets gross again.

Thats such a low bar any more.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

emerson big ol backers

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

i'm serious gayz

Backers will never know

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Boob window refactored into boob atrium.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

This is what I come back to? C'mon now, guys.

CaptainBtaksDad
Jun 3, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Like im 90% sure you are right. but at the cost of your soul my son.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So how's that "Making Of" documentary coming along? Have CIG mentioned anything about it?

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

CaptainBtaksDad posted:

Like im 90% sure you are right. but at the cost of your soul my son.

quote:

brought to you by community subscribers

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So how's that "Making Of" documentary coming along? Have CIG mentioned anything about it?

Part 1 is finished. Its now waiting for refactor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I'd say post huge tits, but there's enough pictures of Chris and his brother in the thread already