Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Condiv posted:

so you concede the MSM is biased towards centrism?

i am very sorry NYT is staffed by normal people who are not into either commie or nazi memes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

https://twitter.com/freddiedeboer/status/873155681167323138

it's #1

the headline is literally "Britain's Conservatives Lose Majority"

A headline is only the leading segue into an article's body. If the body of the article dealt with Labour's shock success then it wouldn't be worth commentary, yet you isolated it as if it represented his entire point and is therefore ridiculous on its face.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Bias? There's no bias. Quit talking all of that crazy conspiracy talk. You leftards are just mad that a paper staffed with sensible centrists won't acknowledge that you exist. :smug:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/michaelbd/status/872416644634693632

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

A headline is only the leading segue into an article's body. If the body of the article dealt with Labour's shock success then it wouldn't be worth commentary, yet you isolated it as if it represented his entire point and is therefore ridiculous on its face.

you didn't read the article, did you?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

"there is nothing we can do"

dont stop im almost there

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

you didn't read the article, did you?

That's the whole "article" lmao. It's a front page bulletin. The headline links to a completely different article with a different headline.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

there has been no accounting for the fact that the media got the entire election completely wrong. and then the SAME people who got it so wrong have the tenacity to say it wasn't a labour win, but a tory loss. they're delusional

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

*fucks up completely at the sole job you're supposed to do* haha woops my b

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i am very sorry NYT is staffed by normal people who are not into either commie or nazi memes

but corbyn's not a commie? :confused:

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Are there any charismatic MPs within Labour's left? Who's likely to carry the standard when Corbyn wipes out?

hey everyone, trust this guy

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

the people who get poo poo wrong over and over and over just keep failing upward it's unbelievable

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
the MAGAs were right. the media doesn't know poo poo. it's about rallies and *~energy~* and memes and forum posts.

though i liked the guardian videos where a reporter just went around the west midlands talking to random schlubs. one guy in a wheelchair rolled up and went "hey you should do a story about why we've turned into this fascist shithole!" and the reporter was like "well now that you mention it..."

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Karl Barks posted:

there has been no accounting for the fact that the media got the entire election completely wrong. and then the SAME people who got it so wrong have the tenacity to say it wasn't a labour win, but a tory loss. they're delusional

What did labour win in terms of governmental power? I can absolutely tell you what the Torys lost.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Bip Roberts posted:

What did labour win in terms of governmental power? I can absolutely tell you what the Torys lost.

this is such a shallow reading of the results from yesterday good lord

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Agreed, I remember people being optimistic in 2015. Milifandom was catchin' on, folks! oh, wait, no, not at all.

People should probably be content with anything that isn't a crushing Tory victory.

lol just lol

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

the MAGAs were right. the media doesn't know poo poo. it's about rallies and *~energy~* and memes and forum posts.

It's more like the latter reflects the former imo. Memes and forum posting doesn't make a real appreciable difference on electoral outcomes, but they do reflect a much wider appeal and sentiment. If your campaign supporters don't have any good memes then you're probably not actually appealing to anybody.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

i don't mean to pick on rococco, his posts are just the easiest to find. i'm sure you could comb this thread and find tons of simialr stuff

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

cucked by the clay lady

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Karl Barks posted:

this is such a shallow reading of the results from yesterday good lord

I'm sorry the party out of power gets nothing. If Tony Blair came back from the grave and won every seat that a Corbyn led Labour did then the policy of the British government going forward would be exactly the same. An important sub headline is that Corbyn is in a great position when the Torys implode in six months but for now they're out of power.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Bip Roberts posted:

With the Tories forced to form a minority government, Labour is in a position to much more thoroughly undermine their agenda as the second biggest parliamentary party. Even if the Tories do form a coalition with the DUP, it'll mean that they have to negotiate a soft Brexit on a shaky majority alliance - and will be in an even much worse position for the next election. A soft Brexit is what Labour was campaigning on, which means one way or the other they're going to realize that electoral agenda.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Karl Barks posted:

lol just lol

as a corbyn unbeliever i deserve all your mockery, but i feel like this was in response to people getting so excited about labour's rise in the polls that they thought they might actually win.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

With the Tories forced to form a minority government, Labour is in a position to much more thoroughly undermine their agenda as the second biggest parliamentary party. Even if the Tories do form a coalition with the DUP, it'll mean that they have to negotiate a soft Brexit on a shaky majority alliance - and will be in an even much worse position for the next election. A soft Brexit is what Labour was campaigning on, which means one way or the other they're going to realize that electoral agenda.

where are you guys getting this idea that DUP is soft brexit lol

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i think the DUP says they're soft brexit.

i don't really know. but i think it has to do with being in northern ireland and a hard brexit will gently caress up the relationship with the republic and also throw a spanner into the peace process. the DUP is a right-wing fucken unionist party but it's also existing in a peculiar political and strategic situation

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

It's their explicitly professed platform.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
If anything undercutting the lefts success when they still don't have government is important to forward the narrative that the future chaos of government is 100% the fault of May. This won't happen and there's going to be a push to somehow blame Corbyn by the next election. Nevertheless the less taking a victory lap today is going to be counterproductive.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Karl Barks posted:

hey everyone, trust this guy

Corbyn wipes.... him with his butt

jam special

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its beyond hilarious that a few weeks ago the media was calling May a political genius for calling the snap elections

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's their explicitly professed platform.

lol well forgive me for not buying into that after DUP spent wads of cash campaigning for brexit in the referendum

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

as a corbyn unbeliever i deserve all your mockery, but i feel like this was in response to people getting so excited about labour's rise in the polls that they thought they might actually win.
you were still reacting to what they were doing, as they had been acting in the milifandom days like dogs on a leash. to truly see one must buck the system and embrace chaos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myJA9BcgB6Q

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its beyond hilarious that a few weeks ago the media was calling May a political genius for calling the snap elections

not even a few weeks, like 4 days ago

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

it's virtually impossible to lose credibility nowadays it seems

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

It's not a win but it's a drat good night for labour and potentially gives them a strong position in the coming years. I do worry that Corbyn is much better at campaigning than he is as the day to day opposition leader although hopefully last night means he gets a fair bit more respect from the media and his own party (lol).

Ultimately though the next election, whether it's some locals or an early General, needs to be a big labour win. It won't be enough to just keep the Tory majority down next time.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Speaking of, how is it that May isn't already ousted? Is she going to hang on through this mess?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Zeroisanumber posted:

Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Speaking of, how is it that May isn't already ousted? Is she going to hang on through this mess?

she saw that tweet about how she is the shortest lived PM since Bonar Law and freaked out

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The tories loving such is a feel good narrative we can all get behind

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Bonar Law

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I can't help but laugh and laugh. The Tories hosed themselves for no reason.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Edit: It's even more hilarious that they think the DUP can prop them up. They're insane. The Tories might be assholes but they're not complete loonies when it comes to things such as LGBT and Darwin and abortion. The moderate parts of the Tories will be frothing at the mouth in anger, while the right wing part will be sharpening their knifes at the thought of the Irish having any say over anything.

Beautiful Theresa. We all thought Cameron was a tool, but you clearly needed to show him otherwise.

Communist Bear has issued a correction as of 17:39 on Jun 9, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Boner lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

so many people in this thread mad that their predictions of a 100 seat Tory majority of doom failed lmao