Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Mulva posted:

One Piece is weird in that it 100% triples down on the stereotypes while also at the same time making the okama some of the most heroic and noble characters fighting for the freedom of everyone. And also their leader is Tim loving Curry, so clearly he is the hero in this situation.
One Piece makes it work because it casts Bon Clay and others as heroic and fantastic human beings regardless of their quirks, saying basically it really doesn't matter if you like to dress as a ballerina or you swing the other way, if you're a person willing to lay down your life for what you believe in. It threads very dangerous waters at times (Sanji on the transvestite island??) but Oda knows how to handle it respectfully in the long run.

In contrast, PPP is Gay Person: The Joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

he had his phone in his hand the whole time he just knows how to fart a tune

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah the cool thing about Bon Clay is that their character is super presented as an unflattering stereotype, but all the people who insult them with slurs are villains who are eventually laid the gently caress out. Their the only member of their group to have a change of heart and all the Straw Hats respect them for their sacrifices while half think that Bon Clay is a super fun dude to hang with.

While it feels Oda may not know exactly how to write those kinds of queer characters perfectly, he's no less willing to make them heroes that'll you love and that rules in shonen manga.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

"Boy, sure glad i missed that derail."

:yikes:

Me? I absolutely HATE when people talk about the comic and their feelings about it, classic derail tech

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Death Bot posted:

Me? I absolutely HATE when people talk about the comic and their feelings about it, classic derail tech

Get your politics out of my comics!

*Glassy eyed stare past Superman fighting Nazis*

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
*listens to the bill burr vid where he says that the comic is in some ways an exploration, or at least satire, of work culture and its ennui* ah gently caress, poo poo, drat, the comic is about something, gently caress

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

or maybe sometimes you want to get high as hell and watch a bald dude punch monsters so hard that they explode

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Bon Clay is still not a great portrayal of anything remotely queer but he becomes an awesomely fun and respected character and it's okay to enjoy problematic stuff

I imagine many people really wouldn't like Bon Clay or PPP but that's also fine

My response is "that's Japan". They're getting better imo than they used to be.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

MiniFoo posted:

or maybe sometimes you want to get high as hell and watch a bald dude punch monsters so hard that they explode

Or it's more like everytime PPP shows up people have to light the thread up like his depiction has taken a drastic turn. It's not a good look, but the character remains the same dude he was the last time we saw him.

I want peace in the middle east and for threads to be chill and fun and cool and maybe sometimes we'll talk about life.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Idk I thought this was like, well reasoned and chill discourse. People were still annoyed with Prisoners character and others didn't understand why. Others explained and one guy even said he totally understood now.

this is the first time Prisoner showed up since I've followed the thread so maybe it's a constant thing but it was a fine discussion imo.

like id much rather talk about the use and representation of queer characters in shonen than how Saitama got strong and that he eats monster parts for the millionth time

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

talking about the use and representation of queer characters in shonen is about as meaningful as talking about the use of pesticides in agriculture in mozambique. you've as much chance of influencing either by poo poo posting on the internet.

go learn japanese and talk to creators and poo poo if you get upset over it a bunch, at least you're attempting to address the issue that way

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
It's more that there's a seeming merry go round of people all saying the same thing over and over.
This particular horse, methinks, is well and truly dead.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
If the bar for what we're allowed to post in this thread is "will have an impact on anything outside of this exceptionally stupid niche of an already unfathomably stupid internet," then I have some unfortunate news...

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
that kind of weird nihilism is incredibly useless. this isn't intended to be a kind of Strong Activisim Campaign, it's a discussion in fandom to talk about positive and negative examples of an issue in a work of art. no one here is furious or outraged at the work or creator, they are either dissapointed or confused why people are disappointed. silencing that kind of discussion does nothing

if anything, that post you made is the least meaningful thing said on the issue

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i'm highly influential actually

i've convinced at least 3 people to never come back

there's actually no situation where "address the actual issue" is less meaningful than navel gazing though

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 9, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
you and I have been at each others throats for years, can't be THAT influential

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

It's more that there's a seeming merry go round of people all saying the same thing over and over.
This particular horse, methinks, is well and truly dead.
all threads are cylical but this is like legit the first time I've seen this discussion, my b

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Josuke Higashikata posted:

there's actually no situation where "address the actual issue" is less meaningful than navel gazing though

you have a super loose definition of navel gazing

one dude even said "oh yeah didn't see that, that's bad I was wrong" so this may actually be the most fruitful Internet discussion ever

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Moltrey posted:

you and I have been at each others throats for years, can't be THAT influential

all threads are cylical but this is like legit the first time I've seen this discussion, my b

i wouldn't say at each others throats more like i call you dumb at times and you might do the same but i don't really notice

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Tbh I like that there's a place where ppl can have a reasonable conversation on how the comic made them feel and the fact that multiple ppl unironically made posts about how those posts are worthless details are the only people actually creating worthless derail posts?

Idk, I just really don't see how "I feel this way about this part of the comic" is some verboten topic that makes people upset. If you wanna blaze and look at a cool punch? Not a single person is stopping you, or even advising that you stop. We're all hundreds of pages into both the thread and the comic together lmao

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

i wouldn't say at each others throats more like i call you dumb at times and you might do the same but i don't really notice

I don't remember you bait-posting this hard before. Are you alright there mate?

This discussion is navel-gazing, but this entire subforum (possibly the forum entirely) is entirely about navel-gazing and sharing what lint we found and sometimes talk about innies and outies and why using a knife to get rid of said outie is bad.

Navel-gazing is the entirely point.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

talking about the use and representation of queer characters in shonen is about as meaningful as talking about the use of pesticides in agriculture in mozambique. you've as much chance of influencing either by poo poo posting on the internet.

go learn japanese and talk to creators and poo poo if you get upset over it a bunch, at least you're attempting to address the issue that way

This is a dumb argument because no one's expecting this will influence ONE. It can however influence the people that read this thread and that clearly is worthwhile since a number of people were clueless about or outright hostile to the idea that PPP is a negative queer stereotype.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 9, 2017

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Even aside from being a lovely stereotype it's not even a funny joke. Weird Gay People are about as played out as it can get and I can't imagine the prison rape stuff being amusing to anyone who isn't some twelve year old chuckling at soap dropping.

It's bad. He's bad.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

those 100 squats a day really get results.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I'm here to read the recent chapters of manga and make bad jokeposts, and I'm all out of recent chapters.

I'd much rather read discussion over negative portrayals of stereotypes in media than about what qualifies as filler though

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Its funny how the "nothing matters, gently caress your opinions" argument only ever seems to come out when someone is criticizing representation and depiction

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Its funny how the "nothing matters, gently caress your opinions" argument only ever seems to come out when someone is criticizing representation and depiction
this

dont worry tho, i'll bust it out next time we get on that good "King Best Hero" tip

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

It's funnier how every time PPP shows up we all wind up dancing around in a circle saying the exact same poo poo we said the last time he appeared. I'm not arguing that the character has some very questionable qualities, and that the depiction is far from perfect. But I am arguing that this is not the last time people have raised a stink about PPP, it will not be the last, and nothing of value will ever come about from debating the issue for the umpteenth time.

But whatever, I'll just stop following the thread. Don't let me pee in y'alls cheerios.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
nothing of value comes from debating the origin of saitama's power and yall do that every three weeks. unlike that though, this actually had a resolution.

well it did until people got mad and starting posting about posting

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Moltrey posted:

this

dont worry tho, i'll bust it out next time we get on that good "King Best Hero" tip

Honestly, the insistence on maintaining King Kayfabe is far more grating than the occasional appearance of PPP bringing on a few posts about how it's too bad One stumbled with that character.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The price for awesome Murata art following ONE storyboarding isn't missteps in characters like Puri-Puri Prisoner or rehashing of KING jokes.

It's us posting ourselves in circles for three months before the next chapter drops.

And then the cycle begins anew.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 10, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Gyges posted:

Honestly, the insistence on maintaining King Kayfabe is far more grating than the occasional appearance of PPP bringing on a few posts about how it's too bad One stumbled with that character.
I wonder of those people know that that's the opposite of what King would want, his hype and expectations constantly built up as the Greatest Hero

he just wants to go home and play his visual novels, let my mans live

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Can we just take a moment to discuss how gross the depiction of Tatsumaki is: It must be super offensive to people with actual dwarfism that Saitama calls her a "lost child". I mean, I'm not a dwarf, so I wouldn't know, but I assume it's pretty bad.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tatsumaki's just short I think.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lost children should be offended that they're being compared to Tatsumaki and not her superior sister imo

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
lowkey pretty sure that in the ONE Cinematic Universe, having powerful psychic abilities just makes you short. Ex: Tatsumaki, Mob

e: sidenote, i saw someone say that the reason ONE focuses on Mob Psycho 100 more is because he wants to finish Mob's story to put into One Punch Man, and if Mob ends with a Let Me Tell You About The Hero Association Initiative, I'll stop reading manga

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 10, 2017

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

When Mob finally reaches his full emotional power he transforms into his true form: A short female lost child.

Alternatively: Mob Reigen

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I really liked that King side chapter where he kept accidentally intimidating crooks while actually begging for his life.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gyges posted:

King Kayfabe is absolutely my hero name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Moltrey posted:

e: sidenote, i saw someone say that the reason ONE focuses on Mob Psycho 100 more is because he wants to finish Mob's story to put into One Punch Man, and if Mob ends with a Let Me Tell You About The Hero Association Initiative, I'll stop reading manga

Oh poo poo I just realized Reigen Arakata is actually Blast, the #1 S-rank hero!!!