Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Meh, just from reporters. Call me when it's under oath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
"In your estimation, a well-made bed in a high end russian hotel would be structurally able to support approximately how many russian ladies standing on it at once?"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jaxyon posted:

Who was that?

Obviously, Grover Cleveland

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

We have only ever had one urban President in U.S. history.

I'm gonna assume you meant Bill Clinton because the alternative is the racist notion that a black man is inherently "Urban" because you're too afraid to say "black"

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Xae posted:

Losing by less is still losing.

I think that phrase was used about a billion times after Montana and the other special elections.

Yeah, the comparison isn't perfect but that was the point. It is just close enough to let people project what they want to see in to it.

It was a big swing there and it is a big swing here. But be careful reading too much into it.
I think the difference is that Labour didn't really start to turn around in the polls until their manifesto leaked. Their manifesto which was, lol, mocked by the Tories and in the press (and by Blairites in their own loving party) for being ridiculously left-wing and of course this means they're going to have their asses kicked even worse than anyone thought.

And then they go and turn it around in dramatic fashion. And now the Blairites in the party are hosed, and to no one's surprise but the Blairites, that doesn't hurt Labour's chances.

The Democrats haven't done anything similar. One of Obama's last acts while still in office was to gently caress over the compromise candidate for DNC leadership between the left and the center. DNC delegates literally laughed about "well where else are they going to go" whilst voting for Perez. There's been talk of a fifty-state strategy but we've seen how that's played out so far: tons of resources dumped into GA-06 (where coincidentally the Dem candidate happens to be in pretty tight with DNC insiders) and comparatively nothing in KS-04 or Montana. In fact I believe in KS-04 it would have been actually nothing, if toward the end it hadn't gotten the attention it did and made people say "hey what the gently caress?" and forced them to send some token amount his way. The Democrats are running the exact same strategy of "LOL Trump bad" that lost them the Presidency, and while it's working a little better now because people can more easily see that Trump is, in fact, bad, they're still not offering any vision of their own for the direction of the country. As usual, the centrists are happy to cede power to Republicans, to squeak out wins here and there, to never achieve a majority or a mandate clear enough to actually do anything for their constituents, provided it means they retain control of the party.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Bhaal posted:

"In your estimation, a well-made bed in a high end russian hotel would be structurally able to support approximately how many russian ladies standing on it at once?"

mr president, based on the color and hue saturation of the urine just how hydrated was the prostitute at the time of the pissening

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Classtoise posted:

I'm gonna assume you meant Bill Clinton because the alternative is the racist notion that a black man is inherently "Urban" because you're too afraid to say "black"

ding ding ding

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Now he believes he is invincible.

Now the bedshitting can truly begin.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

aware of dog posted:

Meh, just from reporters. Call me when it's under oath.

you know what happened the last time trump took questions from reporters?

he admitted he fired comey for the russia investigation

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/873245481488535554

Say what you will about Trump, he's a firm believer in the separation of church and state.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

"I did all these things that are totally not crimes so nyaaaahhh!"

would be wonderful.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I look forward to hard hitting questions from breitbart and liberty freedom press.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

evilweasel posted:

he admitted he fired comey for the russia investigation

That was a one-on-one with what's his name, the last time Donnie allowed a group to ask questions it was a shitshow and he lost he's post-inaugural bump(post State of the Union bump?) .

edit : Highlights I remember.

A jewish reporter asking the softest of softball question and getting a non answer.

Donnie asking a black woman to network for him.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 9, 2017

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

"Two questions from the press" so infowars and fox news?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Medullah posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/873245481488535554

Say what you will about Trump, he's a firm believer in the separation of church and state.

Per the White House, an official proclamation from the President.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Obviously, Grover Cleveland

I changed it... To the Backstreet Boys :rolleyes:

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Medullah posted:

as exemplified by the religious organization's logo superimposed over the capitol building that trump is standing in front of

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Classtoise posted:

no you see he's a troll so he's being IRONICALLY RACIST which is totally different than regular racist because you could come to his house maybe and have a conversation maybe where he explained that he just likes being racist and how it makes him feel, but he isn't really racist.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Classtoise posted:

why is this thread so easy to troll

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/873247758530093056

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

theflyingorc posted:

Trump is President and we're all kinda high strung.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

theflyingorc posted:

You have a president that won by saying more blatantly racist stuff than that and you think people are silly for treating poo poo like that in earnest??

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Kilroy posted:

I think the difference is that Labour didn't really start to turn around in the polls until their manifesto leaked. Their manifesto which was, lol, mocked by the Tories and in the press (and by Blairites in their own loving party) for being ridiculously left-wing and of course this means they're going to have their asses kicked even worse than anyone thought.

And then they go and turn it around in dramatic fashion. And now the Blairites in the party are hosed, and to no one's surprise but the Blairites, that doesn't hurt Labour's chances.

The Democrats haven't done anything similar. One of Obama's last acts while still in office was to gently caress over the compromise candidate for DNC leadership between the left and the center. DNC delegates literally laughed about "well where else are they going to go" whilst voting for Perez. There's been talk of a fifty-state strategy but we've seen how that's played out so far: tons of resources dumped into GA-06 (where coincidentally the Dem candidate happens to be in pretty tight with DNC insiders) and comparatively nothing in KS-04 or Montana. In fact I believe in KS-04 it would have been actually nothing, if toward the end it hadn't gotten the attention it did and made people say "hey what the gently caress?" and forced them to send some token amount his way. The Democrats are running the exact same strategy of "LOL Trump bad" that lost them the Presidency, and while it's working a little better now because people can more easily see that Trump is, in fact, bad, they're still not offering any vision of their own for the direction of the country. As usual, the centrists are happy to cede power to Republicans, to squeak out wins here and there, to never achieve a majority or a mandate clear enough to actually do anything for their constituents, provided it means they retain control of the party.

So...the DNC should withhold money from winnable races because forums poster Kilroy deems the candidates not pure enough. Cool.

Jon Ossoff's a 30-year-old kid from Georgia who cosplays as Han Solo, supports a $15 minimum wage, is on board with universal health care, and is pro-choice. Compared to the rear end in a top hat who occupied the seat before him, that's a 180-degree heel turn and you want to piss it all away because he's not Bernie Sanders' clone?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Jaxyon posted:

You have a president that won by saying more blatantly racist stuff than that and you think people are silly for treating poo poo like that in earnest??

I could kind of see him being earnest right up until he said that Gillibrand is famous for sagging pants and gold jewelry.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Jaxyon posted:

only because he's been slowly ramping up his rhetoric for the past 4 pages or whatever, it's really, really obvious

I mean yes it's irritating to even use racist codewords at all but the fact that he's doing to rile people up is astoundingly obvious

I could kind of see him being earnest right up until he said that Gillibrand is famous for sagging pants and gold jewelry.

lol

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

:thunk:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

theflyingorc posted:

Like I said above people got tired of "ironic racism" after all the "ironic racists" anime avatars actually just ended up being actual racists and the thin premise the internet had for years that no one was actually racist and just were aw shucks kidding came crashing down.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Night10194 posted:

This is nothing new. This thread and it's predecessor were always troll-able with little effort.

I mean, have we already forgotten about the likes of Amergin? MIGF?

Same as it ever was.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA82jpXurho

Joint Press Conference with Trump and President of Romania is live. No sign of either of them yet though.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

evilweasel posted:

Katie Tur was literally lol'ing when she was announcing they'd be covering it

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Alter Ego posted:

So...the DNC should withhold money from winnable races because forums poster Kilroy deems the candidates not pure enough. Cool.

Jon Ossoff's a 30-year-old kid from Georgia who cosplays as Han Solo, supports a $15 minimum wage, is on board with universal health care, and is pro-choice. Compared to the rear end in a top hat who occupied the seat before him, that's a 180-degree heel turn and you want to piss it all away because he's not Bernie Sanders' clone?

Latest polls have him up 7 points, too.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Night10194 posted:

FTFY

:420:

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
I mean it's almost like that's not what he said, but gently caress it, gotta go full deep throat apologia for centrism here.

Funding more than one thing is too hard yo. :thunk:

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Hellblazer187 posted:

Notice that all lawyers here had words evil or hell in their name.

Huh.

... I'll take my chances with you guys anyway.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Crain posted:

This is nothing new. This thread and it's predecessor were always troll-able with little effort.

I mean, have we already forgotten about the likes of Amergin? MIGF?

Same as it ever was.

I regret that my most ridiculous trolling "Wisconsin is actually on the East Coast" kind of erased my actual, supported by evidence point, that "White rural working class voters" are mostly suburban and exurban, and lower middle class. Trolling is an abyss that if you look into it, it will look into you. You will become the mask.

American regionalism and demographics aren't subjects that people should get into without strong supporting evidence. "Midwest voters see cursing as urban" is something that would have to be operationalized (Where is the Midwest) and supported by evidence (polling, past election results). Otherwise its just dealing with stereotypes.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
How about a look back at better times:

quote:

FOX NEWS WAS ATTACKING BARACK OBAMA FOR USING DIJON MUSTARD AT THIS POINT IN HIS PRESIDENCY

Donald Trump isn’t the only president to have faced harsh criticisms just months into office. At this point in former President Barack Obama's tenure as the leader of the free world, right-wing news outlets were condemning his use of Dijon mustard as a condiment. Yes, really.

In news from eight years ago that appears to be from some alternate reality, Obama left the White House and went out for a local bite to eat with vice president and BFF Joe Biden in May. The two politicians ordered hamburgers, MSNBC journalist Andrea Mitchell reported at the time, with the sitting president requesting mustard on his red meat.

LINK

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bhaal posted:

At least eight one would think.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Reik posted:

I thought Trump praised the blockade?

:lol: Someone must have told him how much military we have based there.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

glowing-fish posted:

I regret that my most ridiculous trolling "Wisconsin is actually on the East Coast" kind of erased my actual, supported by evidence point, that "White rural working class voters" are mostly suburban and exurban, and lower middle class. Trolling is an abyss that if you look into it, it will look into you. You will become the mask.
I thought you were probably trolling but it was WAY funnier to act like you weren't, mountain guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So in the Georgia race, if Orsoff does indeed win by a sizeable margin like some polls suggest (4-7 points) how is this thread going to frame it as a bad thing?

• Locked thread