Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BRISTOL PALINS BABY posted:

Help me understand, if Mueller subpoenas trump, does the president have an option of whether or not he testifies under oath? Or is that another thing the president gets to skip out on if he chooses?

Past presidents have taken the position they can't be compelled to testify under oath in front of a special prosecutor based on constitutional concerns but have agreed to testify not under oath (Clinton and Bush II, iirc).

Not that it technically matters, it's a crime to lie to the FBI even if you're not under oath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Javes posted:

Do you think he ever reads Twitter outside of his mentions?

He randomly retweets Drudge Report. Hard to say if it's him or Dan Scavino on the account, though.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I can't wait for Trump to be locked up, so that Ivanka can write a book about how she's just like a little black girl in Atlanta who's daddy has been locked up all her life.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

being as charitable as possible what on earth is the strategy here? like, we have to assume trump is high on his own supply so what is it? Does he have tapes where he doesn't literally say the words "are you loyal to me" and he thinks that vindicates him?

Like how deep does this rabbit hole go? is he trying to doctor tapes? does he think this goes away? I honestly do not fuckin understand

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

evilweasel posted:

Not that it technically matters, it's a crime to lie to the FBI even if you're not under oath.

Unless you're the president.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

BRISTOL PALINS BABY posted:

Help me understand, if Mueller subpoenas trump, does the president have an option of whether or not he testifies under oath? Or is that another thing the president gets to skip out on if he chooses?

If Mueller wants to interview him, Trump would have to make a reasonable effort to find time in his schedule to talk, but of course Trump can always refuse to answer a question. He probably won't because he's an imbecile.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Unless you're the predisent.

ftfy

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Waffles Inc. posted:

being as charitable as possible what on earth is the strategy here? like, we have to assume trump is high on his own supply so what is it? Does he have tapes where he doesn't literally say the words "are you loyal to me" and he thinks that vindicates him?

Like how deep does this rabbit hole go? is he trying to doctor tapes? does he think this goes away? I honestly do not fuckin understand

there is no charitable interpretation of trump's words and tweets that is consistent with any strategy whatsoever

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Waffles Inc. posted:

There is no strategy.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I want to know why the "tapes" haven't been subpoenaed yet. That at least, is settled case law, and the President must comply.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Nixon

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Waffles Inc. posted:

I honestly think the tapes don't exist and he was trolling Comey. He probably had no idea that Comey would think "holy poo poo there are tapes! How do we get them!?!?"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Waffles Inc. posted:

Trump is actually insane by the definition of 'does not have a solid grip on reality'.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran

Waffles Inc. posted:

He's an idiot. Don't over think it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Obama bugged the white house and when they find out how they will have the tapes. Is my best guess going by past claims.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Waffles Inc. posted:

being as charitable as possible what on earth is the strategy here?

There isn't one. Trump is a profoundly stupid man who does stupid things because he can't survive unless he is constantly getting immediate gratification. He is surrounded by people, some of whom are roughly as stupid as he is and some of whom are smarter, who have a million different agendas and are all warring with each other to enact them on their own. But Trump is a cipher who has no game plan beyond "me good. Feel good."

Edit: Beaten like Trump's exes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm not kidding, Trump talks like my 85-year-old grandpa used to. Same phrasing and everything. My grandpa died before Trump started running for president but god drat he would've loved him, like looking in a mirror.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

I honestly think the tapes don't exist and he was trolling Comey. He probably had no idea that Comey would think "holy poo poo there are tapes! How do we get them!?!?"

I lean towards this, but there's a lot of evidence both that past presidents have continued to record the oval office and that trump personally was a fan of secretly recording people

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
So, who wants to bet the 'dissapointment' will be "Sorry, we did have tapes and they totally contradicted Comey, but they mysteriously caught fire so we don't have them anymore. No, they weren't computer files with backup, they were actual physical tapes and they spontaneously combusted. Sad!"

...all while his lawyer screams in the background.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Internet Explorer posted:

I want to know why the "tapes" haven't been subpoenaed yet. That at least, is settled case law, and the President must comply.

Because the Congressional investigation doesn't want to actually find anything

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Chilichimp posted:

I can't wait for Trump to be locked up, so that Ivanka can write a book about how she's just like a little black girl in Atlanta who's daddy has been locked up all her life.

She and Jared would have something in common.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/markberman/status/873263604375707649
https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/873262783768481792

:allears:

A reminder that at today's event at the Rose Garden, the NYT was specifically reserved a seat in the very very back row.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Waffles Inc. posted:

"Do not try to understand the strategy, that is impossible. Instead, try only to realize the truth."

"What truth?"

"There is no strategy. . ."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Harrow posted:

I'm not kidding, Trump talks like my 85-year-old grandpa used to. Same phrasing and everything. My grandpa died before Trump started running for president but god drat he would've loved him, like looking in a mirror.

I seriously believe this was a non trivial fraction of his support.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

How would such tapes exist anyway?

Are we talking about some sort of hidden recording apparatus in the White House, with hidden microphones and cameras?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

By who? the whole investigation has been the republicans trying to wrap up the investigation and end it then trump yelling "AND ONE MORE THING" so that they have to keep opening new things.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/baseballcrank/status/873260672557228032

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Spaced God posted:

https://twitter.com/markberman/status/873263604375707649
https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/873262783768481792

:allears:

A reminder that at today's event at the Rose Garden, the NYT was specifically reserved a seat in the very very back row.

jesus christ even his lawyers double down when they're caught in a lie

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

and you know the fat one always goes first

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

enraged_camel posted:

and you know the fat one always goes first

Or the black guy.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Someone did, I thought. Maybe Elijah Cummings? I don't recall. But they have officially been requested by someone. Or at least confirmation of their existence has been officially requested. And that's important because now, if they do actually exist, they can't be destroyed without risking additional charges, even if they still try to weasel out of handing them over. That's if they exist. They may not.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Spaced God posted:

Because the Congressional investigation doesn't want to actually find anything

According to that article, the subpoena to Nixon was from special prosecutor Leon Jaworski. I know Mueller is special counsel, not a special prosecutor, but I really haven't seen this talked about much. Maybe I just missed it. Maybe the House/Senate is able to slow that process down?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

what a weird thing where if they don't exist and he was just trying to troll comey

like textbooks in the future will have to essentially say: and then the president fabricated the existence of tapes, to what end was unclear

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

How would such tapes exist anyway?

Are we talking about some sort of hidden recording apparatus in the White House, with hidden microphones and cameras?

Didn't Nixon have the recording equipment in his desk?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

Someone did, I thought. Maybe Elijah Cummings? I don't recall. But they have officially been requested by someone. Or at least confirmation of their existence has been officially requested. And that's important because now, if they do actually exist, they can't be destroyed without risking additional charges, even if they still try to weasel out of handing them over. That's if they exist. They may not.

I remember Elijah Cummings's request, but from what I understand that is not a subpoena.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ReidRansom posted:

He asked for them but only Republicans have subpoena power. Chaffetz might have but I don't think so.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

LaserShark posted:

So, who wants to bet the 'dissapointment' will be "Sorry, we did have tapes and they totally contradicted Comey, but they mysteriously caught fire so we don't have them anymore. No, they weren't computer files with backup, they were actual physical tapes and they spontaneously combusted. Sad!"

...all while his lawyer screams in the background.

I have no doubt that at some point the big scandal is going to be the Trump Administration destroying evidence of something. Like, I assume they've been covering their tracks (badly) since day one and it's just a matter of time before some investigator is all "where's the stuff we know should exist?" and the admin's all "never seen it, ignore the leaks we destroyed it".

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

The official policy of the Trump administration is to ignore all requests for information from Democratic members of congress.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Obama bugged the white house and when they find out how they will have the tapes. Is my best guess going by past claims.

This has got to be it. This is almost certainly it.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/873226576883851269

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

cochise posted:

Didn't Nixon have the recording equipment in his desk?

Yeah, that's what I heard, but I don't know the details. Who set it up for Nixon? It must have been the FBI or a similar government agency. Right?

• Locked thread