Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

Wtf is that spectator doing right in the path of the first guy who took the pace notes seriously? :magical:

DiRT: Cut the corner. See where it gets you.

Where? I don't see anybody on the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
The guy on the balcony?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Harminoff posted:

The guy on the balcony?

Ah, he is on a balcony. The lighting is so flat, it looked like he was standing on the ground in the thumbnail.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
The game gets prettttttttttttttty tough once you get a bit into it, with group A and 2liter 4wd cars the AI on tough has a pretty phenomal pace most stages.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Opel Kadett kicked my rear end. I can't get a handle on playing with it whereas in Dirt Rally it was no problem.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah I cleaned house pretty handily in the first few rallies but when the stages got longer and more complex and also there were more of them in a rally the mental fatigue came in and I started making dumb mistakes. Landrush as well has completely gone beyond me though trying to start in the immensely hard to drive crosskart might have something to do with that. I did buy the E30 though and do the Owner's Club event and that was a drat blast because it never feels stable.

I'm gonna start collecting thread wrecks for the OP again, so if you wreck yo poo poo grab a screenshot if it's awesome. Anyway here's me finding a way past an AI rallycross car that lost its front wheel in the FWD Super 1600s. Rallycross still the easiest way to earn money, the Super 1600s Cup got me over 300k.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
A pretty sizable patch just dropped on Steam. No patch notes that I can see.

Also, don't look at the Steam review page. drat that's some salty dudes .

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I went to see how neogaf was reacting. Apparently we are then only people who like this game guys

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It really does feel like everyone drove the intro, did one event in the R2s and declared the game poo poo without dipping into the Group B's, Crosskarts, RWD historics or the Kitcars aka the really hard poo poo.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Adjust the lateral grip slider codemasters

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Humbug posted:

A pretty sizable patch just dropped on Steam. No patch notes that I can see.

Also, don't look at the Steam review page. drat that's some salty dudes .

The anger of sim racing fans is underrated in the larger hierarchy of gaming anger, e.g. Project CARS.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Sim enthusiasts being difficult and vocal? Why i'd never.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Incidentally Paul Coleman went into the physics stuff on the Dirt Show earlier. Basically said they had a lot of time with the Solbergs to test and tune the Rallycross physics, but much less time with Chris Meeke to work out the Rally physics with the addition of proper aero and chassis geometry modelling in the move from DR to D4. The basic gist of what he says after is there will be physics updates and changes but they won't be rushed out like he felt the 2.0 physics were for Dirt Rally. If they're going to make big physics changes they wouldn't deploy them to the game until they'd gotten someone with experience in the real world car in to test them out and give feedback.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

OK, at the advice of someone a while back I tried restarting the game starting out with the Mini and I was reminded why I switched: it's literally IMPOSSIBLE to win with this! The car is just too slow! I have to tweak the settings just to stand a chance and even that makes me lose by 2 seconds instead of 8? Why even put the car in this class then?

Also, another noob question: what exactly is the advantage of the handbrake? I had people look at me gobsmaked when I say I never use it. The button is awkwardly placed and letting go of the accelerator seems to produce the same results.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Pulling the handbrake immediately locks up the rear wheels, which is great for swinging the rear end of the car around during a hair pin or tight corner.

JERFit
Dec 25, 2007

if someone said they'd give me money to play music + not have a job anymore I'd say NO
Here you are friend. From the master himself: https://youtu.be/hwqmZFhI0co

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Where do you guys tune brake bias for? I generally favor forward bias

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

cowboy elvis posted:

Where do you guys tune brake bias for? I generally favor forward bias

Same here for everything I've driven. Feel like I have to pump the brakes more in this than Rally. I like that.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Ya brakes perform much differently in4. I'm bouncing between the two for the past few days. You can really jump on the brakes in DR with almost no penalty.

One thing I do like that D4 does is quantify tuning with numbers. DR uses loose/strong, soft/firm. Not like that's any different; I like seeing the numbers.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I really love building up a team and putting sponsors on my car way more than should

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I really do not want to learn about tuning but the lack of workshop sharing is forcing me to start. It feels like tuning is going to be really important to settling down some of these weird quirks in D4. Braking stability and dead turn in especially plague my evo X so far.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 10, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yeah need my porkhammer setups as a baseline for tunes dammit!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Qmass posted:

I really do not want to learn about tuning but the lack of workshop sharing is forcing me to start. It feels like tuning is going to be really important to settling down some of these weird quirks in D4. Braking stability and dead turn in especially plague my evo X so far.

Brake bias and diffs are the most important aspects of tuning to get. Brake bias is easy enough to grasp. A slight forward bias is a good starting point. Tuning the diff is basically driving preference. Keep the diff locked while on throttle and more open during braking.

I keep shocks and dampers fairly soft too. Right around a click or two left of the middle of the bar.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

The default tunes other than gearing and brake bias don't seem horrible to me. But everyone drives a bit differently.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I find the suspension to be too stiff on default. Rough tracks can send cars on wild bounces.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Yeah, the tracks are a bit disappointing. Especially since everytime I went through a spanish town it was the exact same 3 turns. Australia was a bit better but eh.
Also, the dust effect and engine smoke effect seems really lame somehow. Whenever there is a crashed car it just looks like a parked race car is being haunted by a ghost.

Other than that its been fun if a bit easy right now, maybe bigger cars will solve that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

OK, at the advice of someone a while back I tried restarting the game starting out with the Mini and I was reminded why I switched: it's literally IMPOSSIBLE to win with this! The car is just too slow! I have to tweak the settings just to stand a chance and even that makes me lose by 2 seconds instead of 8? Why even put the car in this class then?

Also, another noob question: what exactly is the advantage of the handbrake? I had people look at me gobsmaked when I say I never use it. The button is awkwardly placed and letting go of the accelerator seems to produce the same results.

The key to the Mini is just remembering the short wheelbase means you can drag it round turns way faster than you can the Fulvia because it just needs less space and can take way more abuse through corners.

Anyway I did the Kitcar weekly and found out that if you lose your engine cover the engine noise gets louder and it gets harder to hear the co-driver.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Does anyone else get the impression Nicky Grist had a plane to catch when he did the voice acting? He keeps repeating the same three lines. Ill try the American for a while and see if she is any better.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

The only thing I really notice is the never-ending DIP calls which sometimes get in the way of an important call being timely.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Its what he says before and after stages I notice. The pace calls are by and large surprisingly good. A few "into" late calls have messed me up, but no worse than in DR.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Pace notes have been pretty bad for me, I've tried adjusting the timing one way or the other but its basically guaranteed at this point that i'm gonna be hearing about bumps on a straight right up until the point where i'm hearing caution left 2 right as i crest a hill and then go flying off the track. I've just had to adjust to being extremely careful on any straight because the codriver always gets tied up talking about irrelevant poo poo instead of telling me about the corner at the end of the straight.

It's especially noticeable in any low visibility situation, like heavy fog, the calls can get pretty bad when you're having to rely basically entirely on your codriver.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

yeah you pretty much have to expect a turn shortly after every crest on long straights.

Then stuff like this also happens - https://streamable.com/652s3

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Yeah I mean I'm slowing anyway but there's been a couple where its like "oh it's a 1 or borderline 2 turn and i was in no way prepared for this because my co driver is telling me this AS i hit the turn" because he's too busy saying 100 over bumps 150 over bumps 80 over bumps over bumps.

Like i get it the straight is bumpy please inform me about the turn coming up.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Asphalt stages are not fun.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Ill tell you whats not fun. F2 Kit cars! Understeer, understeer, understeer... jesus will this loving understeer ever end.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Sorry I pretty much exclusively play with all the Imprezas. I am a simple man.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

cowboy elvis posted:

In DR I agree. In dirt 4 they are actually enjoyable

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

cowboy elvis posted:

Actually they're very fun. And so are the Kitcars. Anyway the daily today is R2 in Michigan and I was 4 seconds off tier 2.

My biggest issue right now is the Landrush spotter. Yeah OK there's a car on the outside but if you're gonna be a spotter you kinda need to let me know when it's clear as well.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
Oh hey, thanks to it being graded on a curve, I managed to make it into Tier 1 on yesterday's Daily by 4 seconds. Cool to see that they adjust what tier you're getting depending on how others do. Today's daily is like the core opposite of yesterday's- FWD, a slow R2, on a clear day. Hahahaha. According to it, I'm Tier 2 today- 6:14.447.

Edit: And usually, how long does it take to matchmake into Pro Tour? I've waited up to 5 minutes before to get no one at all. "Players Found: 1/8"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

cowboy elvis posted:

Sorry I pretty much exclusively play with all the Imprezas. I am a simple man.

Yeah the Impreza is awesome. I mainly switch between it and the Quattro. Both have wonderful sounds

• Locked thread