Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm the "Educating Girls" (nice weasel out of "have less children") line item that will save the world at no cost, buy my book to find out more

Also it's merely a coincidence that all of my solutions fit neatly within a neoliberal capitalist box

call to action fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

It is very strange that they have so many forestry topics high on the list yet every other report have these as negligible items.

If you look through the profiles of the top people in the organization they all have a very strong skew towards ecology and forestry and biomimicry and the like. There doesn't seem to be an engineer in sight.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BattleMoose posted:

If you look through the profiles of the top people in the organization they all have a very strong skew towards ecology and forestry and biomimicry and the like. There doesn't seem to be an engineer in sight.

Funny I already listed one. Or is Dan Kammen not good enough for you, random poster on the internet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Kammen

He is an IPCC coordinating author and an advisor to this non-profit.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

Funny I already listed one. Or is Dan Kammen not good enough for you, random poster on the internet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Kammen

He is an IPCC coordinating author and an advisor to this non-profit.

Firstly, he is not on the board, if you read what I wrote I was referring to the top people in the organization, ie, people on the board.

Secondly, this is an appeal to authority.

Thirdly, and repeating ad nuasem, unsubstantiated claims get rejected.

Fourthly, an identifiable science person (with a name and a science career) reviewed the book and quoting and repeating.

quote:

The reader is told several times that the Drawdown project is based on measurement, mathematics, and rigorous modeling by scientists and researchers, but this is a case that remains to be made. The photo in the section called “Numbers” illustrates the dilemma. It is a visually intriguing collage of 20 tables of figures and their graphical display. However, it is only symbolic. It is too small to allow the reader to examine the content.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
So Larsen C is about to become free:

http://www.projectmidas.org/blog/another-step-closer/

While MIDAS seems to avoid any explicit reference to anthro climate issues, it seems undeniable that they're related.

I wish there were a real time cam there to capture this, like they did in the Chasing Ice documentary.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

BattleMoose posted:

Thirdly, and repeating ad nuasem, unsubstantiated claims get rejected.

Equally ad nauseum, the substantiation of the claims are in the book, you enormous fuckwit.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Hello Sailor posted:

Equally ad nauseum, the substantiation of the claims are in the book, you enormous fuckwit.

No they aren't. Read my previous post if you care to know how I know that.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i wish i were creative and not-lazy enough to make a parody drawdown with a bunch of options like "super ebola", "ww3" "are bangladehsi's really even people?"

edit: "boomers voluntarily sacrifice a single little thing for the greater good"

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

StabbinHobo posted:

"boomers voluntarily sacrifice a single little thing for the greater good"

The others are good but parody needs to be at least vaguely believable to work.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Zack Labe's twitter is good to follow.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
It begins... Arctic sea ice is now 3rd lowest and Antarctic sea ice still hasn't recovered very well:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

call to action posted:

I'm the "Educating Girls" (nice weasel out of "have less children") line item that will save the world at no cost, buy my book to find out more

Also it's merely a coincidence that all of my solutions fit neatly within a neoliberal capitalist box

This is a really stupid take and you're a very stupid person. Also don't use the N-word.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

New Report Finds Climate Change Caused By 7 Billion Key Individuals
http://www.theonion.com/article/new-report-finds-climate-change-caused-by-7-billio-34658

quote:

WASHINGTON—In a landmark report experts say fundamentally reshapes our understanding of the global warming crisis, new data published this week by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change has found that the phenomenon is caused primarily by the actions of 7 billion key individuals.

These several billion individuals, who IPCC officials confirmed are currently operating in 195 countries worldwide, are together responsible for what experts called the “lion’s share” of the devastating consequences of global warming affecting the entire planet.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Unusual weather in Antarctica leads to rain and a Texas-sized melt

quote:

An area larger than the state of Texas in West Antarctica melted to an unusual degree last year, with pools of the meltwater remaining on the surface for as long as 15 days. That’s trouble, since meltwater can accelerate the thawing already occurring from warming ocean temperatures.

Scientific study from Nature here: https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms15799

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2017/07/antarctica-sea-level-rise-climate-change/

quote:

Antarctica Is Melting, and the Giant Ice Cracks are Just the Start

The massive iceberg poised to break off the Larsen C Ice Shelf may be a harbinger of a continent-wide collapse that would swamp coastal cities around the world.

--

Seen from above, the Pine Island Ice Shelf is a slow-motion train wreck. Its buckled surface is scarred by thousands of large crevasses. Its edges are shredded by rifts a quarter mile across. In 2015 and 2016 a 225-square-mile chunk of it broke off the end and drifted away on the Amundsen Sea. The water there has warmed by more than a degree Fahrenheit over the past few decades, and the rate at which ice is melting and calving has quadrupled.

On the Antarctic Peninsula, the warming has been far greater—nearly five degrees on average. That’s why a Delaware-size iceberg is poised to break off the Larsen C Ice Shelf and why smaller ice shelves on the peninsula have long since disintegrated entirely into the waters of the Weddell Sea. But around the Amundsen Sea, a thousand miles to the southwest on the Pacific coast of Antarctica, the glaciers are far larger and the stakes far higher. They affect the entire planet.

The Pine Island Ice Shelf is the floating terminus of the Pine Island Glacier, one of several large glaciers that empty into the Amundsen Sea. Together they drain a much larger dome of ice called the West Antarctic Ice Sheet, which is up to two and a half miles thick and covers an area twice the size of Texas. The ice sheet is draped over a series of islands, but most of it rests on the floor of a basin that dips more than 5,000 feet below sea level. That makes it especially vulnerable to the warming ocean. :siren:If all that vulnerable ice were to become unmoored, break into pieces, and float away, as researchers increasingly believe it might, it would raise sea level by roughly 10 feet, drowning coasts around the world.:siren:

[...]

:stare:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
We knew this would happen someday, yet my first thought upon reading that was how this will impact Seattle's tunnel project.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Look at the plus side, though: it would open up new areas for fossil fuel exploration!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah that's the 3 meter figure everyone refers to. We don't know when that will happen but within 100 years seem reasonable.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

Do you feel the same way about scientists who get paid to do climate research and then publish that climate research in pay for access journals?

The researchers don't generally see any of the backend; in fact, usually, they have to pay to be published there.

paywalled journals are an enormous scam; they used to serve a purpose back when papers had to be distributed on paper.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Fun .gif:

https://zippy.gfycat.com/GenuineGreatGangesdolphin.webm

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Jesus Christ this is taking forever

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Banana Man posted:

Jesus Christ this is taking forever

Truly this is the worst apocalypse. You can see it coming from so far away but as an individual are powerless to stop it. You can only try to limit the damage.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
And then my family posts videos of Tim Minchin singing songs about canvas bags and supermarkets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFgtIziShmc

Because that's going to make the difference. Its just impossible to communicate the scale of the problem and what solutions actually look like.

[Never mind that landfilled plastic bags represent a pretty fantastic carbon sink.]

/vent

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

This doesnt work, what is it?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

got any sevens posted:

The crack spreading across Larsen C over several months.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

got any sevens posted:

Does this work for you?

Can also try https://gfycat.com/GenuineGreatGangesdolphin

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN
My bot don't know nuthin' 'bout no KELVIN

BattleMoose posted:

And then my family posts videos of Tim Minchin singing songs about canvas bags and supermarkets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFgtIziShmc

Because that's going to make the difference. Its just impossible to communicate the scale of the problem and what solutions actually look like.

[Never mind that landfilled plastic bags represent a pretty fantastic carbon sink.]

/vent

A great example of a feels-good greenwashed environmental issue. The environmental impact of using different grocery bags is complex and depends on where the bag is made, what materials are used, how far it has to travel, how many times it is used, where it ends up, etc. Different bags affect the environment in different ways, as well: greenhouse gas generation, degradation time and ecotoxicity of end products, what an how many resources are consumed to create the bag, etc. This can lead to results that buck conventional wisdom. Disposable paper bags or reusable cotton bags can end up having a worse environmental impact than conventional plastic bags. Plastic bags that are engineered to degrade faster can have a bigger greenhouse gas footprint than regular plastic bags. This stuff doesn't matter to the average consumer, though, because plastic bags feel like they're unfriendly to the environment.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

That works. drat thats a big crack

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
So is it gonna break off in July/August? How quickly will the break off happen after the crack reaches the other side?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lackmaster posted:

So is it gonna break off in July/August? How quickly will the break off happen after the crack reaches the other side?

Biggest fuckin wave since forever man, better sign up for helo drops so they live the 100 ft wave into eternity

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
It'll probably just hang out in the area for a while and slowly break apart, is my guess.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
Climate departure: when mean local temperature exceeds historical highs.

http://www.ecoshock.org/2017/04/the-time-of-climate-departure.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/23/science/on-a-warmer-planet-which-cities-will-be-safest.html

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v502/n7470/full/nature12540.html
pir8 nature link: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-5-JeCa2Z7hbkhMcEp4alpxSUE/edit

pro tip: real estate in Alaska is a good long term investment.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Sad thing is it's only going to get worse everywhere if we don't stop carbon emissions. In 100 years when Michigan and Alaska are the best places to live, people will be asking what waterworld platform in the arctic will be best to live on to escape the heat.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

That implies runaway a la Venus which isn't very likely I thought?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Rastor posted:

That implies runaway a la Venus which isn't very likely I thought?

What does? A runaway greenhouse effect isn't something that will or really can happen on Earth, but it also has nothing to do with temperatures pushing up beyond the historical mean. Venus is a hellhole (probably) because of water vapor creating a positive feedback loop that boiled off its early oceans. Earth can get much, much warmer before anything like that happens. It's also not something that we can really trigger by dumping CO2 into the atmosphere, no matter how hard we try.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 19, 2017

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Yuge difference between 'runaway CO2 emissions due to warming feedback making it too hot too fast for human comfort' and 'literally venus'

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Yeah surface temp. melting lead is a little far fetched, but we can certainly make the tropics seasonally inhospitable to human life by way of heat+humidity exceeding thermoregulation ability.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
What about the permafrost effect in Alaska? Will that make building construction more difficult over the next century? Farming?

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Yeah the Nature article is especially terrifying because it provides a map of areas where potentially deadly temperatures might be encountered regularly

First one is with +1°C
Second one is with +3,7°C

That's potentially 74% of worldwide population exposed to potentially deadly heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Indonesia is uninhabitable at 3.7C?