Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Just Offscreen posted:

I didn't feel it had a lot of faults though? It was my understanding that it's basically a critical darling. The music is completely amazing though I agree.

Well, to list my own grievances.

1. The combat system is not developed enough to remain interesting through the entire game.
2. The path to Ending B has some very questionable game design decisions.
3. The game stumbles super hard at the finishing line and for me it was enough to retroactively sour me on the entire game.

It's just not... As good as Nier. It's a really good game but it's also a very flawed game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

scarycave posted:

I would have liked it better if there were was more flat ground. Having housing slightly flying off against the ground drives me nuts.
I think the coolest settlements though are the ones that are big destroyed houses because to make it livable you essentially have to give it a home make over.

There are foundation pieces you can build that give you free flat ground, even on rough terrain?

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Rough Lobster posted:

You could put down concrete slabs or raised wooden tiers that could clip through the floor quite a bit to make it seem like it was on a raised foundation. One of the funnest things I felt was creating plausible looking structures. I remember being very creative with fence posts and other things to make supports.

Plus, it was awesome putting down a bunch of spotlights, laser and missile turrets in good locations and watching them shred invading Super Mutants who are trying to kill your dirt farmers. Also the dirt farmers aren't matching thematically appropriate matching outfits and wielding the powerful weapons that you'd collected tons of in your travels.

Of all the things wrong with FO4 they got a lot right with settlements and I can't wait to see what the next Elder Scrolls game will do with it.

I don't think we're getting another Elder Scrolls game for a few more years though :(

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I just reminded myself of Perfect Dark's Counter-Ops.

More games need Counter-Ops.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I quite like the twist in American Wasteland - your constantly adding to Iggy's skatepark through out the game, mindlessly tricking on anything that could possibly become a cool setpiece. You tear the world apart, literally, to build the Skatepark equivalent of Xanadu, damaging countless businesses in the name of sticking it to the man, until eventually your park gets too big. Turns out your attracting a lot of attention that Iggy didn't want and it also turns out that he is squatting on owned land, not just a vacant lot. All of a sudden that land is incredibly desirable, expensive, and way above Iggy's pay grade. Congratulations player, in sticking it to the man, you have in turn allowed the man to stick it to Iggy. All of a sudden you aren't counterculture warriors trying to carve your niche, your now full on investors trying to claw enough capital together through a glorified kickstarter campaign trying to swim in a way-too-big pond that you didn't even notice you had been drowning in all this time. You have to become part of the ~system~ now, and buy the land back fair and square from people who have been doing real estate a lot longer than you. You were never apart from the system, you were always a part of it, it's even foreshadowed by the fact that you can't even advance the plot without selling out - you need money at varying points to buy an alien costume, a tattoo and a ferry ride. You were always a slave to the Man, you just didn't realise it, and now you have to play the metaphorical game (the aforementioned rat-race), to play the literal xbox game.

It all fits together wonderfully.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

MiddleOne posted:

For all its faults NeiR:Automata still has a fantastic soundtrack. Between Voice of NO Return and the great Dark Colossus remix there's just so many good tracks in here of all kinds.

The only fault I have is that it's not super clear that you're supposed to keep playing after ending A. My brother's response at first was 'That's it?'. I had to explain that it's not really New Game+, it's a continuation of the main game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

synthetik posted:

The only fault I have is that it's not super clear that you're supposed to keep playing after ending A. My brother's response at first was 'That's it?'. I had to explain that it's not really New Game+, it's a continuation of the main game.

The game puts up a popup message telling you that you should keep playing and he still asked that?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

haveblue posted:

The game puts up a popup message telling you that you should keep playing and he still asked that?

It's not like the Yoko Taro design mantra where different endings and the subsequent playthroughs are actually meaningful is exactly industry standard. Especially not in the wake of games like Human Revolution and Mass Effect.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

But the game literally puts a pop up after the first ending, saying that that is not the actual end, written out in plain English, in no lore terms talking directly to you as the consumer, that you have to literally be blind or illiterate not to get it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

You're over-estimating the average gamer.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

You say that, and the first thing I do is double check to remind myself what the message was and the first thing that pops up is a Kotaku article named "Square Enix's Message After Nier: Automata Ending A Is Just Confusing"

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

I quite like the twist in American Wasteland - your constantly adding to Iggy's skatepark through out the game, mindlessly tricking on anything that could possibly become a cool setpiece. You tear the world apart, literally, to build the Skatepark equivalent of Xanadu, damaging countless businesses in the name of sticking it to the man, until eventually your park gets too big. Turns out your attracting a lot of attention that Iggy didn't want and it also turns out that he is squatting on owned land, not just a vacant lot. All of a sudden that land is incredibly desirable, expensive, and way above Iggy's pay grade. Congratulations player, in sticking it to the man, you have in turn allowed the man to stick it to Iggy. All of a sudden you aren't counterculture warriors trying to carve your niche, your now full on investors trying to claw enough capital together through a glorified kickstarter campaign trying to swim in a way-too-big pond that you didn't even notice you had been drowning in all this time. You have to become part of the ~system~ now, and buy the land back fair and square from people who have been doing real estate a lot longer than you. You were never apart from the system, you were always a part of it, it's even foreshadowed by the fact that you can't even advance the plot without selling out - you need money at varying points to buy an alien costume, a tattoo and a ferry ride. You were always a slave to the Man, you just didn't realise it, and now you have to play the metaphorical game (the aforementioned rat-race), to play the literal xbox game.

Iggy should of got his poo poo together when the crew started to fix the park up instead of hiding from The Man. :colbert:

Skate 2 has the best Stick It To The Man skating story line.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Phantasium posted:

You say that, and the first thing I do is double check to remind myself what the message was and the first thing that pops up is a Kotaku article named "Square Enix's Message After Nier: Automata Ending A Is Just Confusing"

Oh good grief.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012
Just played Stalker: Call of Pripyat for the first time and there was a little thing I really liked.

The game has anomalies, which are hosed up and dangerous areas the player wants to search through to find valuable artifacts. From a distance the anomalies look normal, but there will be lots of different, invisible, gravity, chemical, electricity type effects that will gently caress you up if you walk into them. The artifacts only appear when you reach them, so to help you can get different type of detectors and using these you can pinpoint the artifacts and hopefully pick them up.

So frequently in a game you won't be looking at the wider picture, you will be watching the screen on the detector in your characters hand, looking at a little green screen and dodging around little circles that denote the anomalies and searching for the even smaller dot that denotes an artifact. And thats with the most advanced detector, in the early stages your detector just uses echos and you have to triangulate the location while figuring out where the traps are by throwing bolts in front of you.

But the little thing. When walking towards the area with the anomalies, in the corner of your eye you will often see little flashes of light or gushes of flame moving around. Very easy to miss or to disregard, but actually those are artifacts and now you know where they are and can immediately go in that direction!

Its something that means very little in the grand scheme of things but I thought it was a pretty cool little touch to put in!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Sunswipe posted:

Oh good grief.

Okay, I don't have the game so I looked up the message in question and it's like how the gently caress can you not understand this?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

marshmallow creep posted:

Okay, I don't have the game so I looked up the message in question and it's like how the gently caress can you not understand this?

Well, you see:

A prime example of why videogame journalist is a less respected job than professional horse masturbator posted:

Although this message is full of good intentions, it’s also wrong. When you load up your save file and start playthrough B, you’ll immediately realize that you’re not really “play[ing] through again”—you’re continuing the story of Nier: Automata. When Square Enix PR writes that “This game has several different storylines that change each time you play,” what they really mean is “To see the whole story, you need to get endings A through E.” Stopping after ending A would be sort of like quitting Final Fantasy VII after disc one.

So when Square Enix says they “highly recommend you play through again,” allow us to be clearer: You haven’t actually finished the game until you’ve gotten all five endings. Which I look forward to doing as soon as I’ve gotten “THIS CANNOT CONTINUE” out of my head.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

marshmallow creep posted:

Well, it doesn't state that you play as a different character, for one. Like, I can see how someone reading that would think "oh, so I guess things would change if I had killed the peaceful robots? Whatever, I don't care enough to go through all that again just to find out."

I mean, I personally would be interested in gameplay changes and once you make the effort to start a second playthrough it's immediately different, but if you don't care enough to bother there's not much the developer can do outside of forcing the second quest to start immediately.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

He's especially wrong because what you're supposed to get stuck in your head at the end of route A is BECOME AS GODS BECOME AS GODS

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

haveblue posted:

He's especially wrong because what you're supposed to get stuck in your head at the end of route A is BECOME AS GODS BECOME AS GODS

THIS CANNOT CONTINUE

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

haveblue posted:

THIS CANNOT CONTINUE is way cooler.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What can I say, I just loved the concept of a robot death cult more than whatever the context for THIS CANNOT CONTINUE was.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

haveblue posted:

What can I say, I just loved the concept of a robot death cult more than whatever the context for THIS CANNOT CONTINUE was.

Robot orgy

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
GOG has a summer sale and I finally picked up Ultimate Doom. It's amazing me to see friendly fire from enemy mobs in this game.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
BioEnchanted's influence spreads.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

BioEnchanted posted:

That's cool. That's kind of how it works in real life too haha

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

scarycave posted:

I would have liked it better if there were was more flat ground. Having housing slightly flying off against the ground drives me nuts.
I think the coolest settlements though are the ones that are big destroyed houses because to make it livable you essentially have to give it a home make over.

That's what the raised foundations are for. Wooden ones for the rustic look, concrete ones if you wanna look a bit more industrialized.

I felt the same way you did until I discovered how much the raised foundations own. Plus, the concrete ones can snap vertically so you can have multi-level buildings that go up/down large inclines!

The settlement building owned so hard. I put in way too much time into that game and a lot of it was for Fallout Sims, especially after downloading mods that increased my settlement borders by 6x and removing the building caps.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

When the first Nier came out a popular games journalist got very confused because the game told him to fish, and put a red X where he was supposed to fish, the same X he had been following the whole game so far. He did not fish on the red X and got mad when the plot did not advance. Then scored the game badly.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Nuebot posted:

When the first Nier came out a popular games journalist got very confused because the game told him to fish, and put a red X where he was supposed to fish, the same X he had been following the whole game so far. He did not fish on the red X and got mad when the plot did not advance. Then scored the game badly.

I had never heard of Nier before that review, and it was so funny that I bought the game because of it. I later found out you could drift on a boar and never regretted my purchase.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Nuebot posted:

And that journalist was DarksydePhil.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Sunswipe posted:

Wooooow dude, the game said there was no saving in the tutorial and I set it to hard mode and I died in one hit AND IT DIDN'T AUTOSAVE what were these game developers from the 90s ackackackacakcack loving kojima

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax
I am a lame nerd boy who only relates to real things via video games but I've rather enjoyed this song since about 10:01GMT last night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcE4-6QGgpc

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Sunswipe posted:

I think people in the Automata LP topic actually found out it was in fact internet funnyman Justin McElroy. The worst of the McElroys.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

JOHNSON COCKSLAP posted:

I am a lame nerd boy who only relates to real things via video games but I've rather enjoyed this song since about 10:01GMT last night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcE4-6QGgpc

I haven't much listened to most of Persona 5's soundtrack (I'm admittedly pretty early in), but largely it's disappointed me, which is a shame because the rest of the game's so good and P3 and P4's soundtracks were amazing. But then I hear a version of Life Will Change, and I'm immediately sorry I ever doubted them.

Another thing I've liked about P5: Much of the game is told through flashbacks, while your main character's actually in an interrogation after a heist gone wrong. After a number of important scenes it cuts back to the interrogation, but it also does that whenever a new Social Link starts, you get a short explanation of how you can expect them to fit into the whole picture. It's a neat way to work the game's actual gameplay and framing device together, and because social links also provide you advantages like discounts and free services in this game it's great at showing you what you're going to get from pursuing that one.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I love the fact that in Suikoden 2, using a combination of the Wizard rune (half magic defense but 1.5 times magic attack) and the Blue Gate rune (non elemental damage but has a powerful fourth level spell that hits everyone) allows me to accidentally oneshot my entire back row because the damage it deals to my party is three times the base damage that it's supposed to do.

edit: Another little thing, Oulan is almost the best character in the game that isn't a broken bonus character. She's possibly the tankiest character in the game, a heavy hitter once berserk and you can recruit her almost literally after you unlock the castle.

Testekill has a new favorite as of 03:21 on Jun 10, 2017

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Friday the 13th just recently came out. It's an asymmetrical multiplayer game where 7 people play as counselers and 1 plays as Jason Vorhees. The developers were clearly fans as they hired on Kane Hodder to mocap Jason (he played Jason in 4 of the films.) And even hired on Thom Mathews for his Tommy Jarvis character.

There are a ton of homages to the films, including several different styles of Jason's. The two earliest ones having the ability to run, since they could in the movies.

It's a fantastic game if you loved the movies.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Cleretic posted:

Another thing I've liked about P5: Much of the game is told through flashbacks, while your main character's actually in an interrogation after a heist gone wrong. After a number of important scenes it cuts back to the interrogation, but it also does that whenever a new Social Link starts, you get a short explanation of how you can expect them to fit into the whole picture. It's a neat way to work the game's actual gameplay and framing device together, and because social links also provide you advantages like discounts and free services in this game it's great at showing you what you're going to get from pursuing that one.

The general P5 soundtrack isn't as catchy as P4, but there are a handful of really standout tracks.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I've watched a few streams of Friday the 13th and the kills are loving glorious.

A lot more satisfying than many of the films tbh

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

In hearts of iron 2 there are rules on who democracies can declare wars on. Authoritarian governments can just do it all willy nilly. If you start the game as Oman (a dictatorial one province puppet of Great Britain) you can immediately declare war on anyone and say, drag the Allies into a really stupid forever war with America

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

RyokoTK posted:

I've watched a few streams of Friday the 13th and the kills are loving glorious.

A lot more satisfying than many of the films tbh

Oh yeah. One is where you put the counseler on their knees and rip their lower jaw from their body. Afterwards Jason carefully inspects said jaw.

Another is impaling them on a bird bath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

swordfish duelist posted:

Another is impaling them on a bird bath.

:stare: i'm horrified at the thought yet intrigued by the possbility