Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Finished my 1/100 Gusion! Album link for a few more pictures.

Pretty simple, just a painted build. Base colors are Vallejo Medium Blue and Orange Fire. Inner frame is Vallejo Metal Colors Burnt Iron. Panel lines in Model Masters Flourescent Red-Orange and Bright Light Blue.

Any recommendations for good lightbox lights? I got two small LEDs with mine but they don't seem to be cutting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Anyone interested in custom cast ZAFT action bases? I made a mold off of the original from the MG Providence deluxe pack, and unless I'm misinformed this is the only way to get a standalone stand without buying the Providence.

It has some flaws and molding imperfections, but this is as good as the mold has turned out so far, and they can be corrected or just left as-is.

Bear in mind, it does NOT come with the armature and requires armature from a standard 1/100 scale Action Base if you want to have your Gundam in anything other than a standing pose.

They're custom-cast to order and are $10 for plain white, $20 if you want them painted a single color and topcoated, $35 if you want it painted the three-color ZAFT logo colors.

(Ignore the gray one, that was with a completely different resin that was way bubblier than can be reasonably asked for)

That Gobbo posted:

Finished my 1/100 Gusion! Album link for a few more pictures.

Pretty simple, just a painted build. Base colors are Vallejo Medium Blue and Orange Fire. Inner frame is Vallejo Metal Colors Burnt Iron. Panel lines in Model Masters Flourescent Red-Orange and Bright Light Blue.

Any recommendations for good lightbox lights? I got two small LEDs with mine but they don't seem to be cutting it.

Kickass job! If the vertical seam on the hammer is anything like the one on the HG, you did a darn good job with it. I dig the custom triangle corners on it too, and the panel lining is subtle. It reminds me of Gamera Baenre's GBWC winner from Otakon, kinda.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Guy Goodbody posted:

Those stands are fantastic

Are those stands ever going to be sold standalone or we stuck with only getting them in certain kits?

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

I wouldn't count on it, they probably only exist to sell more of the actual suits. Bandai seems more inclined to standalone some of the recent cheaper stuff, like BF and IBO weapon packs, but historically they've almost never done it.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

I built my first ever Gunpla yesterday. Took me 10 hours + breaks. It was only an HGAW GX-9900-DV Gundam X Divider, though. As a tiny baby and complete model building newbie I figured I'd start with an easy one. I was too powerful though, so it's time to move straight up to RG.

Are the RGs noticeably more sturdy and limber? I'm hoping yes, because the X feels a bit stiff and fiddly. With the HG model I succeeded in cutting the parts off the runners without many crisps that needed filing. Can I expect something similar with RGs or is it going to be scalpel city?

These are the ones I'm getting next:

RG RX-78-2 Gundam
RG MSN-06S Sinanju
RG GAT-X105B / FP Build Strike Gundam Full Package
RG RX-78GP01 Gundam GP01 Zephyranthes
RG RX-178 Gundam Mk-II Titans

I also really wanted the MG Deathscythe Hell EW Version, but it's a bit big even by 1/100 scale standards. Sorry Gundam Death Batman, you were larger than life but my apartment is only life-sized.

Gundams. I must have them.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
RGs are anything but sturdy compared to HG. And while they do have gate design that minimizes the surface that needs to be cut wherever possible, there are a lot more parts to clean up so it's basically a wash.

Out of those listed, the RX-178 and Build Strike are the only ones that have a rep for being solid and problem-free. The rest should be approached cautiously if at all by anyone new to this.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

I guess the RX-178 is my best bet, then. The folding wing parts on the Build Strike look a bit intimidating.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
That would be my recommendation as well.

Do be aware that the pre-formed RG skeleton is tricky to handle all by itself — Once the parts are cut free the joints should be very gently and slowly eased into motion until they flex smoothly, and only once that's done should you begin layering parts on top of them. It's cool technology, but not especially noob-friendly.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The RX-178 is fantastic, you really can't go wrong with it. Just take your time, especially when you have to cut the lengths of plastic/fabric cabling and you won't have any issues.

I can also recommend the RG 00 Raiser as rock solid and pretty easy to build.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I enjoyed the RG 00 as far as I got with it, and still hope to finish it soonish, but I completely destroyed one hand's thumb while trying to ease out the joints even though I was being fairly careful.

RG skeletons terrify me. They are just so fragile.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

MJP posted:

Kickass job! If the vertical seam on the hammer is anything like the one on the HG, you did a darn good job with it. I dig the custom triangle corners on it too, and the panel lining is subtle. It reminds me of Gamera Baenre's GBWC winner from Otakon, kinda.

You can call him Otacon. It's short for Otaku Convention.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I trod on one-half of a Gouf pauldron a little while ago, and I'm not sure which one of us has fared worse.

I've also just learned that Daban did a knockoff MG The O, so I consider my head completely messed.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Gundam caltrops are the best.

Also, in the grim dark future, action bases have inner frames:

0x0hShit
Mar 11, 2011

Xy Hapu posted:

Unfortunately the current base design is too intricate (mostly due to the articulation) to be printable on a home printer, but I'm definitely going to try to make a simplified version once I finish that is home printable. Might take a bit however, currently I'm swinging hard in the other direction to take full advantage of industrial printers:

In the meantime though there are already a couple models out there made for home printing, this is the best one I've run across so far: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2252500

Thanks! I never even thought of checking Thingiverse for something like that, but what do you know. :haw: Although, after pulling apart that model in Fusion the detail of it is not even in the same realm as yours, so I will definitely be looking forward to seeing the finished product when you get to it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tunahead posted:

I built my first ever Gunpla yesterday. Took me 10 hours + breaks. It was only an HGAW GX-9900-DV Gundam X Divider, though. As a tiny baby and complete model building newbie I figured I'd start with an easy one. I was too powerful though, so it's time to move straight up to RG.

Are the RGs noticeably more sturdy and limber? I'm hoping yes, because the X feels a bit stiff and fiddly. With the HG model I succeeded in cutting the parts off the runners without many crisps that needed filing. Can I expect something similar with RGs or is it going to be scalpel city?

These are the ones I'm getting next:

RG RX-78-2 Gundam
RG MSN-06S Sinanju
RG GAT-X105B / FP Build Strike Gundam Full Package
RG RX-78GP01 Gundam GP01 Zephyranthes
RG RX-178 Gundam Mk-II Titans

I also really wanted the MG Deathscythe Hell EW Version, but it's a bit big even by 1/100 scale standards. Sorry Gundam Death Batman, you were larger than life but my apartment is only life-sized.

Gundams. I must have them.

Of these, I have the Mk-II, the Sinanju, and while I don't have the basic Zephyranthes, I have the pretty similar Full Burnern. For the latter two, I would suggest breaking out the super glue. The Sinanju has far too much articulation in its torso and only connects to the waist by a tiny peg, so I've been just gluing the whole chest section into one solid brick in an attempt to try and offset the weight of the backpack.

The Zephyranthes is drat good from the legs up to the waist, and the upper half is equally good. The downside comes from the connection points where the top half of the suit meets the bottom half. Due to the core fighter gimmick, these connection points are not as strong as they could be, so if you don't want to fiddle around with the core fighter, I'd suggest just gluing the top and bottom together again.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Arcsquad12 posted:

Of these, I have the Mk-II, the Sinanju, and while I don't have the basic Zephyranthes, I have the pretty similar Full Burnern. For the latter two, I would suggest breaking out the super glue. The Sinanju has far too much articulation in its torso and only connects to the waist by a tiny peg, so I've been just gluing the whole chest section into one solid brick in an attempt to try and offset the weight of the backpack.

I never had this problem with the RG Sinanju, my problem was all of the gimmicks were beyond fiddly, so it took me an hour just to get it into a decent pose without thrusters and the shield falling off.

Tunahead posted:

I guess the RX-178 is my best bet, then. The folding wing parts on the Build Strike look a bit intimidating.

I recently completed the RG Build Strike, and the wings were pretty easy. Except for the Sinanju, all of the RGs I've done have had fancy wings (Wing Zero Custom, Destiny, Build Strike (I also have a Strike Freedom in my queue; I just a sucker for Gundams with awesome wings)), and they've all come together very well. My only issue with the Build Strike was that the armor plates on the thighs keep sliding apart, and I'm not sure why.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 8, 2017

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Xy Hapu posted:

This is the future. No poo poo.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really want this thing

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Zerg'Gok

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Guy Goodbody posted:

I really want this thing

Be still, my beating heart...

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I really want this thing

It's stuff like this that gives me a combination of inspiration and jealous depression.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Xy Hapu posted:

It's not a bad way to get color separation at the plastic without compromising support.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

worthless. posted:

It's stuff like this that gives me a combination of inspiration and jealous depression.

I'm just gonna leave this here.

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com.au/2016/04/148-mega-size-zaku-ii-diorama-build.html?m=1

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Today's update to the HLJ 20th Anniversary Sale is Gundam kits!

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Jesus christ

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

If there's a better one in the show I'd like to see it.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I was viewing it on my phone and after seeing it on an actual big monitor, how they've used runners to build the red framework on the chest.

And is the shield and right forearm made from scale model train line?

That thing must have taken so long to build.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Paper Kaiju posted:

I recently completed the RG Build Strike, and the wings were pretty easy. Except for the Sinanju, all of the RGs I've done have had fancy wings (Wing Zero Custom, Destiny, Build Strike (I also have a Strike Freedom in my queue; I just a sucker for Gundams with awesome wings)), and they've all come together very well. My only issue with the Build Strike was that the armor plates on the thighs keep sliding apart, and I'm not sure why.

I don't think it's even that they look too hard to build. I think what it is, is I once saw what the Strike Freedom looks like with its wings all open and horrible, and later that day I saw a video of someone very, very slowly transforming their PG Unicorn from its lame form to its ugly form and I mentally filed both of those things under "gross, awful" and now when I see wings on a Gunpla it just gives me the Unicorn creeps.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I just remembered I've had a PG RX-78-2 laying in a box for years because its ankle-shin polycaps split. I think the molding on the shin pegs was bad, and they were too large for them. Part U-52, shown on page 9 step 9 (also here, center, third row from the bottom, to the right of the single chrome bar). It's a somewhat unusual polycap, and my bag o' extra caps doesn't have anything like them. Gundamstoreandmore isn't parting out the PG 78, so that makes replacing them a bit more difficult. HLJ and Bluefin won't do replacement if you didn't buy the set from them. I don't have the skill to bash a replacement joint.
I've checked other PG kits of the era, and none of them seem to have a similar cap. Anyone happen to know if that part or something reasonably close is in other, more obtainable kits?

In a related note, just assembled the RG Astray Gold...one of the drat wing joint pieces actually tore when I tried to rotate it.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Since it's so small and simple you could probably get that printed fairly easily, the only rub is you'd need a micrometer and some trial and error to get the measurements and tolerances just right. The basic shape just looks like a sphere and cylinder with holes in them if I'm not missing anything:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
http://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2017/06/review-hguc-1144-gundam-01-tristan.html

Is Bandai loving serious, here? They have had the interchangeable leg joints for loving years now, and this is what the Tristan gets.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 10, 2017

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

http://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2017/06/review-hguc-1144-gundam-01-tristan.html

Is Bandai loving serious, here? They have had the interchangeable leg joints for loving years now, and this is what the Tristan gets.

Yep. We've known for a while now that the Tristan had the Alex's skeleton, complete with 2003 era articulation, despite having two brand new runners.

Why, that one's the stumper.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Xy Hapu posted:

Since it's so small and simple you could probably get that printed fairly easily, the only rub is you'd need a micrometer and some trial and error to get the measurements and tolerances just right. The basic shape just looks like a sphere and cylinder with holes in them if I'm not missing anything:

That's pretty much it, but the 'side' holes don't even penetrate the main tube (where mine split, IIRC. I can't find them in my disassembled feet bag, so I may have tossed them). I haven't been able to find any other polycaps that do this rather than just having a big peg.
Do any 3d printing services even offer polyethylene?
Now that I've thought on it a bit, it might actually be easier and safer (so the model doesn't lose ankle integrity and shelf-dive) to hack the ankles to use nut and a screw. I might even be able to handle that if I can't source original polycaps, and the foot design isn't so wild that it isn't wholly incompatible with screwing them on.
If Gundamstoreandmore does crack open a kit, I'll probably replace the parts that hold the polycap, the polycaps, and the parts that insert into the polycap, just to be safe. Or, hell, would anyone be interested in 99% of a PG Gundam, missing its ankle joint, for like ~$70 before shipping? It'd probably cost me about $30 to get those parts from GSaM. Probably at least that to get just the polycaps printed correctly, if it's even an option.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

I don't know if anyone has polyethelyne as a print option, but there are various flexible materials of indeterminate composition. But for this application you can probably just use whatever's strong enough like nylon, I think Bandai mostly uses polycaps out of laziness so they can fudge the tolerances and because it wears slightly better (which seems pointless for a part that will barely move). Should cost like two bucks in nylon, plus 3 times that in shipping inside an unnecessarily huge box full of bubble wrap :v: If you go that route feel free to hit me up, I have stuff on order from Shapeways pretty regularly so I can combine it in one of my orders and just mail it to you in an envelope.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Local store had a contest with HG Zeon as the theme. I got 4th place out of 7 with an OOB as hell Gerbera Tetra:

I fixed seams on the shoulders and forearms but didn't on the tail cone and fuel tanks. I messed up the monoeye placement - painted on the visor but it's under the top head armor. Paint is Tamiya acrylics mixed; panel lining is red and black Sakura Microns, Mr. Super Clear flat coat.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

chiasaur11 posted:

Yep. We've known for a while now that the Tristan had the Alex's skeleton, complete with 2003 era articulation, despite having two brand new runners.

Why, that one's the stumper.

Cheapest possible way to poo poo out a kit for a pump 'n' dump filler production that is going to be completely forgotten a year from now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Because who would be interested in events in the post unicorn setting right?
I don't get Bandai or Sunrise at times.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bimmi posted:

Cheapest possible way to poo poo out a kit for a pump 'n' dump filler production that is going to be completely forgotten a year from now.

But they have so many better frames, and they made two new runners for pretty much everything that wasn't the frame.

If they had more repeated parts, easy to understand. It's like you said. Pump and dump. But they put a lot of time and effort into making a new kit... and then they anchored it all around a handful of old and lovely pieces. It's halfway between two points I understand, and that's the odd part.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
It's an Alex variant, so they used as much of the existing kit as they could get away with. Simple as that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Arcsquad12 posted:

I haven't build Gunpla in years, what do you mean by interchangeable leg joints?