Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

poo poo man, even SC_TheBursar is beginning to express doubt. That guy has been one of the pillars of the white noise positivity community for years now.

A man in dire need of his frog pills posted:

Hmm. Changes will happen but I have some concern about the number of things that remain 'delay a week, each week' or in this case now 'a week has gone by, delay 2-3 weeks'. It isn't that this is happening but the ratio of things where the schedule is clearly more of a guess then a fairly solid number.

It's also worrying that many things are getting blocked on 'we want to improve the starmap more'. That several things all say that mean they have some critical resources (likely gameplay engineers) that are overbooked.

On one hand I very much believe it is worth a delay to get the new Hint system in and am glad for that, on the other it looks like there are a few development groups that need some quick training in giving better estimates. Giving padding is fine - spitballing it (this week? nope. this week? nope) not so much. I was one of the first people to say the mid July date was going to inevitably slide. I'm not worried that it is. The point of more concern is you can see some groups aren't learning and significantly overcommitted human resources (like a few weeks ago when several items that had nothing to do with networking ended up waiting on people who got called in to tiger team a network problem).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Have you heard of the litter robot? It's like $500, but still a better spaceship than anything CR is offering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4PaCFL1js0

I'd like to see a cat try to piss out of that thing.

nope

One of my cats would literally just stand in it, facing inwards, with all 4 feet in the litter, raise it's tail and squirt piss out of it's catbutt directly out of the door. Another would probably be so scared from the motor running between pisses he'd assume it was a monster and wouldn't use it at all.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/873327678115282944

this is good news and leaves me hopeful that maybe they will get doors to function as well.

6 years is it? or are we back to the whole idea it only just started development?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

http://massivelyop.com/2017/06/08/massively-overthinking-mmo-monetization-run-amok/

Star Citizen being held up as one of the prime examples of mmo monetization gone wrong by a site that basically specializes in hyping MMO scams including Star Citizen. Hmmm.
http://massivelyop.com/?s=star+citizen

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Scruffpuff posted:

CIG is like a fake onion - no matter how many layers you peel, there's still nothing underneath.

I guess CIG is actually like a real onion - layers upon layers getting peeled off. And in the end, there are only tears.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

Amazing Zimmo posted:

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/873308771057053704

"Footage captured in engine"

So just like the homestead demo but without the dune sandworms. Also it may be just me but the footage they are releasing is gradually getting poorer in quality.

So now glitches are showing up in the marketing material?

https://twitter.com/4zra31/status/873381853054590976

it is in the original and does look out of place

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

That is a lot of delays. At least they are being consistent.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Sillybones posted:

Something Awful is one person. This has become clear to me.

I am SomethingAwfulpartacus!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mr Fronts posted:

So let me the this straight. In "Fantasy Schedule 2017", CIG say this:

Persistent universe content -> Mission Givers

ON April 14th, state DUE May 12th
ON May 12th, state DUE June 2nd
ON June 2nd, state DUE June 9th
On June 9th, state DUE June 30th

Or , to put it another way, assuming you are a lazy weekdays-only employee who doesn't understand game development,

The job is 20 working days from completion.
When the due date comes up, it's 15 working days from completion.
When that due date comes up, it's 5 working days from completion.
When that due date comes up, it's 15 working days from completion.

If any part of my own work projects ran like this, I'd be looking for another job. But then, I'm a lazy weekdays-only employee who doesn't understand project delivery.

A couple of years back, I was recruited by a tech company to help finish up a customer's project. This involved rolling out major changes to existing software in that customer's organization. It was supposed to be a month or two from completion at most, so they just needed 2-3 people to replace others who had quit before it was done.

After I joined, I learned from other contractors that I worked with that the project was supposed to have finished roughly 6 months earlier and that it might be a while longer. A few weeks after that all progress ground to a halt as some core system functionality had not been implemented before the rollout had begun, so I sat doing nothing for a week while the customer tried to hack something into place server-side without having people with the necessary skills for a proper solution.

The estimated time to completion was always pushed back to be 1-2 months out and with no visible progress people either started leaving, scheming to take over team leader positions when said leaders left or just going around being awful to work with. The site was also in a remote location, so the 5 hour daily commute made it seem like I was working 14 hour days. When I left after a few more months, the project was still 1-2 months away from completion according to their estimates.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
New schedule is out. I wonder if their volumetric fog is in!
Oh hey, it's again marked as completed yesterday, just like two weeks ago.

D_Smart posted:

So the latest 3.0 schedule is out. Here is a diff between previous and current versions.

Everything is now delayed to July 27th: which we know they're probably going to miss. Remember when I said they'd be lucky to see this release out by Gamescom?
Yeah, I agree. They don't want this to slip in August (but it probably will) because August is a bad month to still be in crunch mode and also having to prepare for GamesCom (and maybe prepare something about SQ42).

They could just skip SQ42 again for GamesCom exactly like last year because they are that incompetent and have nothing, but I suspect their "ace in the sleeve" and marketing trick is not going to be "look at the 3.0 we just delivered". Because the delays, the cuts and the buggy poor state it's going to be in will not be good promotional material. So they will need another fake demo.

I wonder if the broken minds of the backers that still remain attached to this project ever go "hey, this 3.0 alpha was shown playable last August. Why was it split in a million 3.x and 4.x pieces, not delivered by last December, re-planned in April, and still getting pushed back month by month? Do alpha (pre-alpha even -- CIG you are poo poo) builds work like that? (= no they don't)".

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Fatkraken posted:

nope

One of my cats would literally just stand in it, facing inwards, with all 4 feet in the litter, raise it's tail and squirt piss out of it's catbutt directly out of the door. Another would probably be so scared from the motor running between pisses he'd assume it was a monster and wouldn't use it at all.

Dreams. Dreams happen now.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I guess CIG is actually like a real onion - layers upon layers getting peeled off. And in the end, there are only tears.

:golfclap:

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Amazing Zimmo posted:

Also it may be just me but the footage they are releasing is gradually getting poorer in quality.

Noticed that the most. It is like they have lost the actual art talent they had for so long.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Have you played the best space game of all time yet? Star Citizen is mind-blowing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRnd4Ny5fT0

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
UPSIDE DOWN HORNET F7C IN VFG INDUSTRIAL HANGAR

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
1 Load VFG hangar

ACTUAL RESULT
Your ship spawns upside down in Hangar

EXPECTED RESULT
Right-side up ship...

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Sillybones posted:

Noticed that the most. It is like they have lost the actual art talent they had for so long.

No, it's just that the impossibly high standards that Chris wants are impossible to implement into an actual game.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWK_SAVtGy8&t=60s

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

UV-mapping is hard.

Also, since you are all boring right now, I'm going to archer this post from over at FDev — he's making a really annoying point (to the backers, there is).

MTBFritz posted:

This is especially worrying

quote:

In Core Tech, the Entity Update Component Scheduler, which was deemed completed last week, has actually been delayed by a whole month.
and

quote:

The network team also did it's weekly delay. As usual (it's been the 5th delay in a row)
. We are back in the old cycle folks. Its already IN, ahh newsflash we have to work on it some more even tho it was completed...refactors and all that. And surprise surprise the network code which many experienced people doubt they can even do is pretty much on a delay-tour. What else you gonna say if you cant solve the problem right? Coming right out admitting that you cant solve it wold be a death sentence to the project eh?

That post makes me shake my head. But then I guess its directed not at people like me but for a special group of people. The ones that "count" and will pay through the nose for a feeling of membership.

quote:

But let's not lose hope, some work has still been completed this week :
  • Player Manned Turrets (Gameplay)
  • Persistent Damage, Ammo and Missile Count (Gameplay)
  • Heavy Armor for Star Marine (UI)
  • Live Environment Probe Capture (Graphics)
.....until they are not anymore (see "Entity Update Component Scheduler")

And the first top comment makes me think 3.0 is taking the place of Star Citizen as a whole. "Better make it right even if it takes longer"....next they ll say they are okay if 3.0 is released in 2019 but will be perfect then.

They must realize by now that this cannot work out or at least that the probability that it all is a scam rocks a high % and simply refuse to acknowledge it by shaking their heads, singing praise and vigorously attacking everybody who mentions any of these things.

another nice one from the comment section

quote:

I expected delays, if it ends up just a couple of weeks that would be amazing.
Yeah man....a couple of weeks every time in the end it ll add up to months of years all the same hahaha.
The schedule is a sham. Who'd'a'thunk it? :D

Tippis fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jun 10, 2017

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time
Foundry 42 Ltd met their deadline and filed their accounts for the year ended 31 December 2016. There's a lot in there but here's some highlights.

It seems HMRC are actually paying over those tax credits now. Up to £3.6m for 2016 and around £8m total in the three years to 31 December 2016. Shame. I'd say it's now correct to add £8m to their funding figure of ~$150m. I doubt HMRC get any ships though.

They disclosed the lease is ~£250k per year. ~5 years left to run.

Average employees were 221 with £10m total wages in 2016 (132 @ £6m in 2015).

Erin's remuneration in F42 rose from £193k to £236k including benefits.

Total costs were up to ~£17.5m for the year (~£14.5m in 2015).

This one is a long one and a bit technical I'm afraid, but it is the most amusing and explains why they have now decided that they got their own turnover wrong by the small amount of £2.4m in 2015. As suspected in my various July blogs they are just moving money around the companies as they need it. Basically they are then retrospectively making up their own turnover figure by basing it on how much actual money was transferred. But they decided to change how they make up this figure which means they have to go back and adjust how they made up the figure in 2015 (because of consistency) and then disclose it:

Full accounts are at https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08703814/filing-history

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

shrach posted:

So wages and salaries average is down by £400 over a period where following inflation would make for an increase of £270.
I wonder how many fresh-out-of-college suckers they hooked up…

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The Titanic posted:

But I never understood toilet man. I mean, why? Is there really a guy(s?) out there dying to sit on the space toilet? What do they think is going to happen? A push minigame or something?
"Mash [E] to Dump Cargo"

Facebook Aunt posted:

I'd like to see a cat try to piss out of that thing.
That's a sucker's bet. Cat pee is like wizards. It gets precisely where you don't want it to go, exactly when it intends.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It says a lot about the development of the game that after 4 years they were finally forced to release a schedule, which you can speculate on

things like falling revenue, customer complaints

And it's obvious they weren't in the position to release it because pushing it back another week every week is a terrible look and drag on sales, which is why I think outside factors forced their hand

I don't really see a reason why the most delayed game next to duke nukem forever would double down and go "Okay, you want to see delays? Lets kick this poo poo into hyperdrive and delay every week now"

The best part is they are now committed to having it, while being clueless enough to think it would be on schedule in the first place, so it just serves as a weekly reminder of how stupid backers are.

Space Crabs fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 10, 2017

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I know I dig on Star Citizen and spend way too much time here coming up with sick burns and wicked takedowns

But in all seriousness this looks like Final Fantasy 10. This is not a joke.

This might be an indication of the poo poo they are trying to push out and call 3.0 since it's not a flashy cryeditor.map demo and instead looks like Metal Gear Solid 2.

Space Crabs fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 10, 2017

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Space Crabs posted:

I know I dig on Star Citizen and spend way too much time here coming up with sick burns and wicked takedowns

But in all seriousness this looks like Final Fantasy 10. This is not a joke.

This might be an indication of the poo poo they are trying to push out and call 3.0 since it's not a flashy cryeditor.map demo and instead looks like Metal Gear Solid 2.

https://twitter.com/commando_tom/status/873538540419895301

:laugh:

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

shrach posted:

Foundry 42 Ltd met their deadline and filed their accounts for the year ended 31 December 2016. There's a lot in there but here's some highlights.

It seems HMRC are actually paying over those tax credits now. Up to £3.6m for 2016 and around £8m total in the three years to 31 December 2016. Shame. I'd say it's now correct to add £8m to their funding figure of ~$150m. I doubt HMRC get any ships though.

This one is a long one and a bit technical I'm afraid, but it is the most amusing and explains why they have now decided that they got their own turnover wrong by the small amount of £2.4m in 2015. As suspected in my various July blogs they are just moving money around the companies as they need it. Basically they are then retrospectively making up their own turnover figure by basing it on how much actual money was transferred. But they decided to change how they make up this figure which means they have to go back and adjust how they made up the figure in 2015 (because of consistency) and then disclose it:

Full accounts are at https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08703814/filing-history

Also to that backer somewhere out there that put the expenditures at 1.5 - 2m dollars a month for the entirety of Star Citizen, claiming they had years and years and years left

This one studio ran at 1,630,000 per month in 2016. And 1,350,000 per month in 2015. 35,800,000 for two years of one studio. That's 24% of backer funds, which doesn't take into account those tax credits or any loans they got behind the scenes.

But add in the years of motion capture at the imaginarium (and the fact that they were using the imaginarium at year 4 of development but are now shooting in peoples offices possibly showing money issues) and the other 3 studios?

I'm pretty optimistic about my May - October collapse toxx but if they make it to gamescom or citcon they'll probably slide into 2018

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

The thing on the floor next to the katana reminds me a lot of those lovely kids' "SPY BINOCULARS" or whatever that you could buy from museum gift stores. I refuse to dig any farther than that, though.

Gradis posted:

my older catte has started pissing out the box. it sits in the tray but aims out and ends up pissing all over the place. what magic box is this?

They make one that's like igloo shaped and your cat has to walk around the corner all the way into the litterbox to get to the actual sand, but tbh I have no idea if it would solve the problem or if you'd just have a a pee waterfall in the front of your litterbox lol

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
My Star Citizen mug arrived :laugh:

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

shrach posted:

Actual payable tax credit is only available if the company surrenders a loss (or enhanced loss) as a result in the year. But I see a profit before taxation of 1.29£M in page 7. Something must be eluding me.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

"Go shave yourself loser"

Is this a Sandi alt?

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal

All I can think of is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1Ch6N8QT00

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

shrach posted:

Wow. So, without ever shipping a game, Erin keeps increasing his pay.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

peter gabriel posted:

I want this.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dootman posted:

I want this.

Reach out and grab it

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

While this is all true and of course the people in /ds have completely missed the point, Derek's robots.txt is doing all the blocking work that /rds would like

http://dereksmart.com/robots.txt

It seems he is blocking archive.org but also everything else

Sort your robots.txt out Derek

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

peter gabriel posted:

Looks good, Commando. Only problem is that you're going to run out of room for the yearly stickers before they even get out of "pre-alpha"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004