Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Lando is a gem and you'd do well to own that book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Darth Vader is really good and is one of the few non-OT properties to actually treat him like a character with vulnerabilities and fears, and not just the most badass fuckin walking tank in the galaxy (though there are those moments too).

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

That was a great rundown of the comics. Most of them have had great art, too. Darth Vader is notoriously brutal to draw but has looked fantastic in everything, too.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The first Vader comic looks like such poo poo. Vader himself is ok, but literally everyone else?

It's a good comic though

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

Darth Vader is really good and is one of the few non-OT properties to actually treat him like a character with vulnerabilities and fears, and not just the most badass fuckin walking tank in the galaxy (though there are those moments too).

It also has this amazing panel from an amazing dream sequence.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Yes, yes it would have been. That's probably what you should have done.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Roach Warehouse posted:

Seriously, though, that facial expression.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cross-Section posted:

The new comics range from "fine, but a bit forgettable" to "loving great" with the majority of them unfortunately massing towards the former category.

To get into specifics:

- Star Wars (Ongoing): Totally passable and worth a read, but not terribly memorable outside of the "Obi-Wan's Journal" side issues and that bit where the whole main cast got lightsabers and went ham with them

- Darth Vader: Mon-Cala-Grievous is a standout Dumb Thing for sure, but like Grievous himself, the whole point of his character is to be a inferior shadow of Vader himself, and is pretty much treated as such in the comic. Regardless, it's insane how they managed to make Vader/Aphra/Creepio/ArDIE work in a way that adds narrative depth to everyone involved.

- Chewbacca: Harmless little miniseries about a rebellious girl and her reluctant dog-person friend. Good art.

- Han Solo: HOLY poo poo THIS ART and the story's a little rote but HOLY poo poo THIS ART

- Princess Leia: Is profoundly boring. :sigh:

- Doctor Aphra: Is basically Indiana Jones in Space, right down to the ancient religions, rival-esque antagonists, and daddy issues . So far, a fun read.

- Shattered Empire: A decent epilogue to RotJ. Come for Poe's parents (don't actually come for Poe's parents), stay for the possible The Last Jedi foreshadowing.

- Lando: The premise is "Lando and his buddies accidentally steal the Emperor's ride". It delivers. :allears:

- Obi-Wan and Anakin: Come for the TCW-style salvaging of Anakin's character, stay for the wait I already did this bit

- Kanan - The Last Padawan: It's fine, I mainly remember this one for people losing their poo poo when it and a then-new episode of Rebels synced up and featured the same recurring character.

- Poe Dameron: Best currently-running comic at the moment. NAILS the dialogue in regards to Poe, I can practically hear Oscar Isaac whenever I read it. Is beginning to stretch it a bit with the whole "finding Lor San Dekka" plot arc.

Yea, I've not read as much as I'd like to, but this has been my experience as well. And the whole idea of Aphra running around looking for artifacts and other places she shouldn't be would work well with a Rebels episode.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I think I heard Sam Witwer as Maul is the Battlefront 2 demo at the EA E3 conference. Would be sweet if we got Rebels characters as hero units.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Roach Warehouse posted:

That's hosed up. That's a hosed up dream, Vader.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.

PunkBoy posted:

I think I heard Sam Witwer as Maul is the Battlefront 2 demo at the EA E3 conference. Would be sweet if we got Rebels characters as hero units.

Only if Chopper is the hero unit.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

GLOSS posted:

Only if Chopper is the hero unit.

Of course. He's the most OP.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

where's the jek porkins comic/Rebels episode

that's what i want to know

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

There's at least a 40% chance you'll get one.

in other news, I'm drinking a poo poo ton of alcohol and can't think of anything better to do than watch Attack of the Clones. At least it'll finally put me at ease to start Clone Wars.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

So the second season of Freemaker Adventures premiered a few days ago. It's still the kiddiest Star Wars show by a wide mile, but I still find it fun. Also, these two episodes confirm that Hera and Chopper at least survive through Empire Strikes Back.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

MildShow posted:

So the second season of Freemaker Adventures premiered a few days ago. It's still the kiddiest Star Wars show by a wide mile, but I still find it fun. Also, these two episodes confirm that Hera and Chopper at least survive through Empire Strikes Back.

The Freemaker Adventures aren't canon in any way, so I don't think it confirms anything at all.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

That being said, the fact that Hera has an episode with possibly Rex on Endor for Forces of Destiny confirms she at least survives that long.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Colonial Air Force posted:

The Freemaker Adventures aren't canon in any way, so I don't think it confirms anything at all.

I thought Hidalgo said the broad strokes were canon, like the Freemaker Adventures is a 'based on a true story' cartoon from inside the SW universe?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

What is his obsession with that one bearded guy in jedi being rex

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Rex is awesome :colbert:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

bunnyofdoom posted:

Rex is awesome :colbert:

drat straight. Rex is too badass to not see the Empire go down.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

banned from Starbucks posted:

What is his obsession with that one bearded guy in jedi being rex

It's a legitimately good choice. People complain, simultaneously, about everything revolving around the main characters and every background character having a whole convoluted backstory. Making one of the troopers on Endor Rex gives secondary characters a through-line in the story and makes Star Wars more than just an intra-family spat.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Test Pattern posted:

It's a legitimately good choice. People complain, simultaneously, about everything revolving around the main characters and every background character having a whole convoluted backstory. Making one of the troopers on Endor Rex gives secondary characters a through-line in the story and makes Star Wars more than just an intra-family spat.

tbf the other complaint is that the universe is a thimble and we get stupid poo poo like C-3P0 being built by Anakin. Sometimes a bearded guy can just be a bearded guy.

But I do like that it's Rex.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, he at least has a story reason to be hanging out with the Rebellion

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

What I don't dig is when a bunch of guys like Inferno Squadron get retconned into the ground battle on the moon of Endor and they end up everywhere except at the Deflector Shield generator bunker where they would have been most useful.

Video games shouldn't be made canon because you end up with stuff like that.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

What I don't dig is when a bunch of guys like Inferno Squadron get retconned into the ground battle on the moon of Endor and they end up everywhere except at the Deflector Shield generator bunker where they would have been most useful.

Video games shouldn't be made canon because you end up with stuff like that.

Chances are the reason's something like they were late or held up by Rebel fighters and didn't land until the bunker was already destroyed. That being said, overall yeah, stuff like this ends up creating weird things where they absolutely have to be away from the main cast. Like, I expect that scene with Luke to be her holding her gun to his head and then a couple quicktime events later, he's got a lightsaber pointed at her and peaces out to hang with Ben Solo.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Hakkesshu posted:

It also has one of my favorite moments in either the old EU or the new EU. Vader finding out that the person who blew up the Death Star is a god drat Skywalker, and everything that means. It's amazing, and completely re-frames The Empire Strikes Back. Because it confirms that Vader knew before the Emperor tells him in the hologram scene that he knows he has a son, and not only that, but has been spending the whole movie using the massive power of the Empire to not find the Rebels, but find Luke. Vader is so different between ANH and ESB because he's become obsessed with finding Luke, taking chances going into the asteroid field, killing anyone around him who is making this harder, etc. And he's loving furious with the Emperor, but trying to keep his emotions under control so The Emperor doesn't detect his plan to betray him. Because he was lied to. The most pivotal and tragic moment of his life, one that has defined who he has been ever since, was a lie. And now he knows. And all of this is shown in a couple of frames, with Vader flashing back, and quietly raging until it boils over, spider-webbing the window in front of him.

It owns.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Is that sequence available to see anywhere because holy poo poo

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

TheKingofSprings posted:

Best I can find, but this cuts off the moment after this, where he reaches out to Palpatine, who immediately senses his anger, and basically tells him to cool it, and remember where his loyalties lie.

https://comicnewbies.com/2015/06/04/darth-vader-learns-luke-is-his-son/

edit: Oh yeah, reading again, I forgot one part. He also thinks about how he almost killed his son, not knowing it was him. The situation Palpatine put him in was almost a closed loop, killing the son he didn't know he had.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Here:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yes, here

http://www.dorkly.com/post/77487/darth-vader-comics

Edit: Oh I forgot there are actually two versions of that scene, one from the Vader comic and one from the main SW comic.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Make sure you use either of the links, they have more than just that one screen cap above.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Every time that set of panels is posted, I can't help but giggle at that goofy Luke face.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's also available on it's own here: https://m.imgur.com/gallery/9sIJ6

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I will buy the comic that feature Rex leading the team while the Main Characters are having their own adventures.

And I can certainly see Inferno Squadron not being called in until things look like they're about to go pear shaped, because the Empire was always over confident.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Daaaaaaaaaamn :stare:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I will buy the comic that feature Rex leading the team while the Main Characters are having their own adventures.

And I can certainly see Inferno Squadron not being called in until things look like they're about to go pear shaped, because the Empire was always over confident.

As per one of the first trailers Inferno Squadron were essentially standing around in time to look up and see the Death Star explode.

By that time the Ewoks had ambushed the Imperials, the Rebels had lured the remaining garrison out of the bunker and subsequently destroyed the shield generator and the Alliance Armada caused the Executor to crash nose first into the surface of the Death Star.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

AndyElusive posted:

As per one of the first trailers Inferno Squadron were essentially standing around in time to look up and see the Death Star explode.

By that time the Ewoks had ambushed the Imperials, the Rebels had lured the remaining garrison out of the bunker and subsequently destroyed the shield generator and the Alliance Armada caused the Executor to crash nose first into the surface of the Death Star.

Yea and by that point Palpatine was dead, and even before that he was too focused on turning Luke to the dark side to probably order them into action. Probably one of the Grand Admirals were responsible.

It's still early to wonder what exactly is going on with Inferno Squadon on Endor, when the game comes out or at least closer to release we'll probably learn exactly what was going on.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The Vader comic is generally really well written, gave us Dr Aphra, and it has the ugliest loving art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

ShineDog posted:

The Vader comic is generally really well written, gave us Triple-Zero, and it has the ugliest loving art.

FTFY

• Locked thread