Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Colonial Air Force posted:

No joystick support? That's... odd.

I guess I'll hold off on getting it for now.

They say they're working on it. It just came out of alpha funded by kickstarter and (according to them) they're focusing on nailing all their goals first.

I got a free code with some hardware or I would have waited too. That being said it's fun warts and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

On the flip side, now that I've finally gotten around to trying it, Robo Recall is pretty :krad:! Is Superhot VR anything like this, with all the slow-mo bullet time and akimbo weapon badassery? If so, I may have to pick that one up during the Steam Sale.

1) Don't even hesitate, GET SUPERHOT

2) If you are playing Gorn, Superhot, or even Robo Recall as a videogame you are doing it so, so so so wrong

Here's how to play these games:
  • Verbally taunt your enemies (ok you can actually flip them off in gorn too now lol)
  • Moonwalk in front of them before teleporting, dashing, or doing the mike tyson out of the way
    http://i.imgur.com/hhEj1OG.gifv
  • Toss a gun up, punch someone in the face, catch the gun and then reshoot them in the face
  • Stab them in the butt
  • Punch them in the butt
  • Hold your guns sideways, upside down, and also lay on the ground and shoot them in the grundle
  • Do the pootie tang
    http://i.imgur.com/AW7BCjO.gifv
  • Perform as many no-look kills as possible, preferably whilst pretending to drink something from a cup in superhot
  • Get between two bad guys and pretend you're bugs bunny in a lady outfit and duck really fast so they shoot each other, then pretend to eat a carrot
  • In general your primary strategy should be to
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-XJhv0lJY4

Seriously though gorn and superhot are unquestionably Must Play. Definitely try to get a closed beta key for gorn or at least download the free itch io demo. Robo had a lot more room for style than I expected so I'd love to hear how people stack it up against other wave shooters like that (Sairento, Raw Data, etc)

wireless is gonna be somethin else :allears:

p.s. I did not know about the locomotion mod for robo recall till way after I got it, highly recommend it

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 10, 2017

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Boy I'm glad I upgraded to an i7 7700k. Between that and the GTX 1080 I got last year I'm running everything at 3x supersampling without a hitch.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

One of the things I loved about Robo Recall is there always seemed to be some hidden thing I didn't know about the more I played it. Oh you can throw the spider bots as bombs? Oh you can toss your weapons at bad guys and catch them on the rebound to refill them? Oh you can smack bullets back at them like a baseball? Oh you can grab the drones and use them as a laser canon? Oh you can pump the shotgun a few times to fire multiple blasts at the same time? Oh the anchor bots have a energy whip you can grab off their corpse and throw robots around like rag dolls?

They really filled that game with a million little touches, and with the bonus objectives and all the unlocks they really put a lot of meat into it. When showing new people VR Job Sim is my go to for interacting with a virtual world, and Robo Recall is my go to for 'you can also shoot people in this digital world and its quite fun'.

Also jumping in with everyone else's recommendation, superhot is absolutely worth the money. The main campaign isn't incredibly long (though its incredibly fun), but I come back to those endless rooms again and again. Theres nothing like holding perfectly still, seeing where all the bullets are around you and trying so incredibly carefully to move into a position where they all don't just slam into you, inches away.

Theres a neat little game that popped up yesterday called Witchblood, a little metroidvania type game thats also on the GearVR besides the PC. I played for a couple hours last night and so far really worth the 8 bucks, though its nothing mind blowing or unique, its well done and I haven't seen a metroidvania style platformer pop up in VR before. The effect ends up really cool, like each room looks like a little diorama so it feels like you're playing with toys and they've all come to life in your doll house. It's all very polished and for 8 bucks I think its definitely worth looking at if you like platformers, though its published by oculus so it's only on their store for rift and gearVR, though I don't see why revive wouldn't work just fine.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Hey guys has anyone played this Everspace thing? I just stumbled upon it:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/396750/EVERSPACE/

Single-player rogue-lite space combat, seems highly reviewed?

Edit:

Also, stupid question, but can I play most of the Viveport subscription games with a Rift? I assume it won't lock me out?

Everspace is a hybrid of Freelancer's Combat and Controls, weapon/ability slotting and system jumping of FTL, and a Roguelite death system.

Haven't played it with VR yet, but it's a drat fun Space Shooter with at least 20 hrs of play if you want to experience the basics with each ship type.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Thor-Stryker posted:

Everspace is a hybrid of Freelancer's Combat and Controls, weapon/ability slotting and system jumping of FTL, and a Roguelite death system.

Haven't played it with VR yet, but it's a drat fun Space Shooter with at least 20 hrs of play if you want to experience the basics with each ship type.

Yeah I just gave it a whirl... it's a pretty rough in VR; the graphics seem flat, there's not as much in the way of setpieces like in Eve Valkerie to ground where you are, so I was getting sick a bit faster. I could see it being fun in non-VR but it could use some more VR polish. The music is like, the most awful F2P style "didn't pay money for it" kind of music.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

Bhodi posted:

Someone retrofitted vr onto doom 3. It works really well, even if the graphics are a little blocky and dated.

Yeah, and everybody's got tiny little heads. Still, terror aside it's remarkable how well that 13 year old game works in VR. The mod gives you a stupid number of settings to play with, too. Visible or invisible body and arms, voice commands, actually crouching to do it in game, and tons of movement options. I built up my VR legs playing Minecraft Gear VR, so I'm using analog stick to move, but there's also teleporting and FOV restriction. My game's default was to switch to a temporary 3rd person camera while moving, which I don't know would work very well in combat. Still, it was funny to send my guy running forward with arms flapping spastically at his sides. :v:

Superhot sounds like it'll be my next purchase, then! I downloaded the alpha of Gorn, but haven't tried it yet... I assume it's the really basic version with all the identical floating heads staring at you? As opposed to the one with challenges and a menu and what-not.

Ludicrous Gibs! fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 10, 2017

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
Just got a vive today. It's pretty amazing. I just wanted to post by theory that fallout 4 vr is going to be an E3 suprise this Sunday in a similar style as fallout shelter was.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

veni veni veni posted:

Doom has VR support now?

It has since forever

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Ok, I think I need to stop playing Doom 3 before it gives me PTSD. Worst things I've had to fight so far are Imps, and they've already made me shriek in terror several times. Hell, a door closing behind me did that. :ohdear:

On the flip side, now that I've finally gotten around to trying it, Robo Recall is pretty :krad:! Is Superhot VR anything like this, with all the slow-mo bullet time and akimbo weapon badassery? If so, I may have to pick that one up during the Steam Sale.

When I played it, I made it through the first introductory level without too much issue. But when I got to the second level and you started hitting those monster closets where the lights go out and monsters spawn *behind you* and you hear their chainsaws and breathing... NOPE!

8one6 posted:

Someone's modded Doom 3 BFG edition to be full room scale VR
https://github.com/KozGit/DOOM-3-BFG-VR/releases

Once you have the comfort options dialed in to how you want them it's pretty much better than it ever was as a traditional PC game.

Oh shitttt this is way better

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Walking around in Doom with a flashlight in one hand, and that lighting that still looks fantastic, is such a grounded a real feeling experience. It's like walking through a haunted house, only you get to shoot at the spooks.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

Walking around in Doom with a flashlight in one hand, and that lighting that still looks fantastic, is such a grounded a real feeling experience. It's like walking through a haunted house, only you get to shoot at the spooks.

poo poo, have I been doing haunted houses wrong?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It really is good. You can even change the flashlight grip angle!

I had best results rebinding teleport and joystick movement to my offhand. As funny as it was, i also disabled the 3rd person movement because when you enter a room you really want to be able to see the monster hiding just beyond the doorway. I use half teleport and half movement and set the move speed back to normal as i don't get vr sick much.

If you are using the touch controllers, be aware that the capacitive pads count as a button and are easily accidentally bound to things. It took me a while to realize why i kept randomly reloading.

Jump scare monster closets still get me occasionally but the low damage taken and lack of any negative feedback when attacked, combined with the massive damage you do makes the game very not creepy/scary to me.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jun 10, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The Doom 3 VR I played used the "duct tape" mod solution to the flashlight, so having it actually mapped to two seperate tracking hand controllers sounds way better. I definitely need to download this and check it out.

How does it handle the UI? The guns? Can you move the guns around in your hands independent of moving around, and like, shoot over your head or under your legs? Doing that in the HL2 VR mod was amazing.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I know which one you tried because i also tried it first as well. This is way better.

Yes, it's just like the old halflife style, it's all independently tracked. There are a ton of options like whether you want to see your hands or arms or just the gun/flashlight, whether you prefer a weapon laser sight, and where you want the hud to be or if you want it to only show up when you look down or take damage or whatever.

There's also a "holster" option where you can quick swap between two weapons by putting one on your hip, but it seems to be somewhat bugged and slightly janky, it's not as good as robo recall.

I cheated a little and turned the flashlight duration to permanent though, it became more annoying than scary.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jun 10, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bhodi posted:

Yes, it's just like the old halflife style, it's all independently tracked. There are a ton of options like whether you want to see your hands or arms or just the gun/flashlight, whether you prefer a weapon laser sight, and where you want the hud to be or if you want it to only show up when you look down or take damage or whatever.

There's also a "holster" option where you can quick swap between two weapons by putting one on your hip, but it seems to be somewhat bugged and slightly janky, it's not as good as robo recall.

I cheated a little and turned the flashlight duration to permanent though, it became more annoying than scary.

That sounds really really good. Yeah, I'd do the same. The flashlight mechanic in doom 3 was always kinda awkward, hence mods like the 'duct tape' solution. But having to independently hold up the flashlight with one hand and both generally aim the flashlight and aim your gun sounds like a good way to keep the creepy factor up without it just being tedious.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
There's a setting for that too, you can lock it to your gun or your head or have it separate in your offhand. I tried the other modes but because all the guns are one handed it just seemed silly to not use the offhand except for movement.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I do wish BFG edition was cheaper, especially since I've got three different copies of Doom 3. Now I'm just debating to invest in Dead Effect 2 VR or Doom 3 VR.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I do wish BFG edition was cheaper, especially since I've got three different copies of Doom 3. Now I'm just debating to invest in Dead Effect 2 VR or Doom 3 VR.

Both both both

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Zaphod42 posted:

That sounds really really good. Yeah, I'd do the same. The flashlight mechanic in doom 3 was always kinda awkward, hence mods like the 'duct tape' solution. But having to independently hold up the flashlight with one hand and both generally aim the flashlight and aim your gun sounds like a good way to keep the creepy factor up without it just being tedious.

13 years later, the flashlight mechanic in doom 3 is revealed to be genius.

But yeah, when its really tense and you come into a room and your stress is really high, you have your gun pointed in one direction, while you're peaking around the opposite corner with the flashlight, its just fantastic. Theres a quality to Doom 3's all real time lights that absolutely pops in VR when you have control of a light source in your hand, just the way the shadows dance around when you're catching the edge of boxes, railings, corners, objects, it has a fantastic look despite the games age, though I would recommend the hi res texture pack.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Well you guys have convinced me to grab the game and the mod. This video does a great job of explaining the options in the mod.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

Well I uninstalled a older mod I had for Doom 3, and now my game doesn't launch when back to normal. I have verified the integrity of the game cache, and re-downloaded the game after full deletion. Not sure what else to try but I guess I won't be able to play it at all anymore.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

InevitableCheese posted:

Well I uninstalled a older mod I had for Doom 3, and now my game doesn't launch when back to normal. I have verified the integrity of the game cache, and re-downloaded the game after full deletion. Not sure what else to try but I guess I won't be able to play it at all anymore.

I guess find and delete your configuration files.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Played some Doom 3, voice controls and speech are brilliant. Flicksync is fascinating.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Tom Guycot posted:

[Robo Recall stuff]
Oh you can toss your weapons at bad guys and catch them on the rebound to refill them?
Oh you can pump the shotgun a few times to fire multiple blasts at the same time?

whaaaaaat Ok, that's fuckin rad, had no idea. There are so many combos in this game it's like finally getting John Woo's Tony Hawk's Pro Shooter. Now I'm even more wary of spending money on any other waveshootin' game. What should I look at next?

-Raw Data: seems cool but expensive
-Sairento: less polish but cheaper?
-Space Pirate Trainer: I always heard about this but it was one of the earliest titles..how does it stack up now?
-Serious Sam: there are so many, and they are all pretty pricey-looking. If you had to choose one to start, which would it be?

Preeeetty lame that John Wick is not dope. Is there anything redeeming to it?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think SPT is still worth playing. Like yeah its more primitive than the other games on that list but it was the best of the early batch of shooting gallery games and compared to something like Raw Data its much more barebones, but I also think it benefits from being simpler. Its just a well made and laser focused arcade style game that you can fire up for a quick round between doing other things or you can play it all day and obsess on improving your score.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

mellowjournalism posted:

whaaaaaat Ok, that's fuckin rad, had no idea. There are so many combos in this game it's like finally getting John Woo's Tony Hawk's Pro Shooter. Now I'm even more wary of spending money on any other waveshootin' game. What should I look at next?

-Space Pirate Trainer: I always heard about this but it was one of the earliest titles..how does it stack up now?
-Serious Sam: there are so many, and they are all pretty pricey-looking. If you had to choose one to start, which would it be?

As far as Serious Sam goes, I haven't played very much at all of Last Hope but it's a typical shooting gallery game. First encounter and Second Encounter though are straight up ports of previous Serious Sam games. If you liked them, you'll like them in VR. It's a very good arcade-y arena shooter type game, and I thought the default blink-teleport movement was pretty good, because I don't do well with artificial locomotion. I think the balance is a little shaken up by the fact that you can dual wield guns and fire rates aren't locked for most weapons so you're capable of putting out tons more damage than you can in the normal game, which makes up for running and gunning being much more difficult in VR. It's probably my favorite shooter in VR so far though.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

mellowjournalism posted:

I would say they are each very different games. I own all but Raw Data.

Sairento is basically a VR Warframe, but is pretty Early Access. The devs are responsive and the locomotion is tons of fun. I've been playing this game the most currently.

Space Pirate Trainer is a pretty stationary arcade shooter where you defeat waves of flying drones who shoot at you and you can block or dodge their lasers. It's tons of fun, and a favorite of friends who come over to play. Not much depth though.

Serious Sam - It's like Duke Nukem but less crass, much better, and in VR. Get the First/Second Encounters over The Last Hope. Last Hope is just a stationary wave shooter, while the others are VR ports of full early FPS games.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Superhot! Best VR game out there imo

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I haven't bought or tried Sairento yet but I will say that this video had me super interested in it:
https://vimeo.com//220967948

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Serious Sam Last Hope is going to be worth the price when they add more/actually finish the game IMO. Right now it's about half way done, and later on the levels go from okay wave shooter to some really loving cool poo poo going on. If you like wave shooters and also VR, I'd definitely keep an eye on it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
How is that installed btw? I have a few SS games so one day this serious sam launcher appeared in steam it and seems to be their version of uplay? But when i launch it, it doesn't support vr even though steam says it should?

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Bhodi posted:

How is that installed btw? I have a few SS games so one day this serious sam launcher appeared in steam it and seems to be their version of uplay? But when i launch it, it doesn't support vr even though steam says it should?

Use the Serious Sam Fusion launcher, let's you go between the various versions that you've purchased and let's you play with monitor users.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Right. Sooo the launcher doesnt support vr? Have to take the headset off?

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

I'm pretty certain it does support it. Haven't started it for a few weeks, though I remember it starting directly from SteamVR.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Phuzun posted:

I'm pretty certain it does support it. Haven't started it for a few weeks, though I remember it starting directly from SteamVR.

Yeah the whole point of it is for Serious Sam VR users to be able to play with non VR SS PC players.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

So I've been waiting for VR to "mature" a bit before jumping in while testing my friends PSVR. I played resident evil last night and found it kind of boring. The Vive seems to have better titles available though. I'm more inclined to go with a Vive since my home office is huge and empty. Should I hold off for a while longer or would sometime in the next few months be a good time to jump in?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

homeless snail posted:

I think SPT is still worth playing. Like yeah its more primitive than the other games on that list but it was the best of the early batch of shooting gallery games and compared to something like Raw Data its much more barebones, but I also think it benefits from being simpler. Its just a well made and laser focused arcade style game that you can fire up for a quick round between doing other things or you can play it all day and obsess on improving your score.

It's also got a big update coming when it comes out of EA. I agree it's an excellent game, it's one of the earlier ones and basicish but it's still one of the most sound in terms of overall game design. disagree with the guy who says it lacks depth, thats like saying a great old arcade game lacks depth. it's got a ton of nuance to skilled play.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 11, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Truga posted:

Serious Sam Last Hope is going to be worth the price when they add more/actually finish the game IMO. Right now it's about half way done, and later on the levels go from okay wave shooter to some really loving cool poo poo going on. If you like wave shooters and also VR, I'd definitely keep an eye on it.

I think it's pretty much done now, think there's one more level coming? There's five in currently. All are good fun though I'm taking my time with it and have only played the first three and a bit of the fourth. the game is actually properly difficult and beating the missions actually requires some strategy on top of good aim. You get a serious adreneline rush when you finally take down one of the big bosses (looking at you, floating island dragon!)

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

On Terra Firma posted:

So I've been waiting for VR to "mature" a bit before jumping in while testing my friends PSVR. I played resident evil last night and found it kind of boring. The Vive seems to have better titles available though. I'm more inclined to go with a Vive since my home office is huge and empty. Should I hold off for a while longer or would sometime in the next few months be a good time to jump in?

I'm surprised you thought Resident Evil was boring, it is a very good game. Jump in if you see games you like, if not then don't, simple as that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

On Terra Firma posted:

If you have the ability to try room-scale VR (either a Vive or a 3 camera Rift setup) you should do so before purchasing anything. VR Arcades are popping up all over the place, so that could be a good option.