Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

widespread posted:

That lineup looks pretty solid. I know I'd get into that Columns action.

However, you'd need actual carts to plug in I assume?

No, using carts is a bonus. It has games preloaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

widespread posted:

That lineup looks pretty solid. I know I'd get into that Columns action.

However, you'd need actual carts to plug in I assume?

Nah, they come pre-loaded on the hardware.

If the lineup's anything like previous hardware, a lot of those 85 games will be unlicensed crap.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

You guys seem unusually excited about this thing. Is it finally a reproduction and not another emulation box?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
No, it's another emulation box, it'd just be nice if someone could put one out that isn't a piece of poo poo.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Judging by the Atari Flashbacks, this won't be it.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

univbee posted:

They've done it, guys.

They will also have an Atari equivalent, with Activision games now.

Now the question remains is it going to have messed up sound like almost all of the genesis mini consoles?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Like I said earlier, this HD line of Flashback consoles uses a new processor and a new emulator and the ATgames producer has been talking it up for a little while, not that they've earned the benefit of the doubt or anything, I'm just being optimistic.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 10, 2017

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Game list: http://www.atgames.net/resources/assets/pdf/2017-Sega-Genesis-Flashback.pdf

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

God drat it how hard can it possibly be to just put a combined S3&K ROM on one of those things? Is Steam the only place where you can actually buy the combined game?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

No, using carts is a bonus. It has games preloaded.

Do we know for sure the cartridge port is functional? I could see them just soldering a ROM chip in the place of the port if they're bundling games.

If it has bundled games and plays carts, that's pretty cool.

Cartridge games sapoorted!

Mak0rz posted:

You guys seem unusually excited about this thing. Is it finally a reproduction and not another emulation box?

People went nuts over the NES classic and that was an emulation box :shrug:

I got these games on genesis cart so yeah, I don't care.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Mak0rz posted:

God drat it how hard can it possibly be to just put a combined S3&K ROM on one of those things? Is Steam the only place where you can actually buy the combined game?

You can still get that functionality on the Wii VC.

I forget if it lets you do Blue Sphere and Knuckles in Sonic 2 as well. I seem to recall it does.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Shadow Hog posted:

Well obviously Super Bubsy for Windows 95

This is actually the correct answer. It just runs at a nicer resolution.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zaphod42 posted:

People went nuts over the NES classic and that was an emulation box :shrug:

I got these games on genesis cart so yeah, I don't care.

I'm referring specifically to the AtGames Mega Drives, which everyone seems to dislike here for one reason or another.

Discount Viscount posted:

I forget if it lets you do Blue Sphere and Knuckles in Sonic 2 as well. I seem to recall it does.

Really? Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles we're separate purchases on the Wii VC if I remember right. Was there a way to combine them?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Mak0rz posted:

I'm referring specifically to the AtGames Mega Drives, which everyone seems to dislike here for one reason or another.

Really? Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles we're separate purchases on the Wii VC if I remember right. Was there a way to combine them?

Yeah, if you have them both you can combine them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXK-c1ppVKo

EDIT: Also apparently possible on 360/Xbone.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jun 10, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yeah, if you have them both you can combine them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXK-c1ppVKo

EDIT: Also apparently possible on 360/Xbone.

Dammit if I had known this I would have bought them years ago :argh:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mak0rz posted:

Dammit if I had known this I would have bought them years ago :argh:

If you've got a WiiU, you can still buy them through the Wii Shop Channel.

Yup, it'll recognize Sonic 1 and 2 if you have them.

No Gunstar Heroes or Space Harrier? Utter garbage :colbert:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jun 10, 2017

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

lol wtf is "Adventure in the Park"

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sonic 1 and MK1 screenshots despite the games being missing, cool

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
2017 - still demonstrating why Sega is terrible at marketing and making products. Adding shovelware devalues your product in the eyes of the customer.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

My eyes made a beeline for "Snake" and I was not disappointed.

Also, kinda cool but surprising that the list includes Master System games like "Fantasy Zone" and "Fantasy Zone: the Maze." Maybe it'll accept the Power Base Converter...

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

cosmicjim posted:

2017 - still demonstrating why Sega is terrible at marketing and making products. Adding shovelware devalues your product in the eyes of the customer.

I once bought a very cheap handheld that used a clone Genesis ASIC that was substantially better than any of the AtGames crap I've come across. PCM samples clipped a little but otherwise it sounded alright and the games themselves ran very well. It's pretty pathetic that the official products released today are worse than what was available on the grey market in China a decade ago.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

cosmicjim posted:

Sega just licenses the games, they don't make or distribute the hardware; same goes for Atari. They really should put a "hey don't try to disguise your poo poo as out poo poo" clause but they clearly aren't that picky.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Anonymouse Mook posted:

Thanks, I had a play with the sync settings. Add this is D input, it did not give me the option to modify sync level. I did try modifying the timings, polarities and autosync in various combinations with no change. It looks like the PAL PS2 is outputting at 49.99 Hz.

I am going to look at getting a new D-component adapter. I noticed the sheath covering where the cables split off had pulled forward. The cables under it looked ok, but you never know.
Out of curiosity when you hook up the systems directly to your TV sans the Framemeister, does it still have this issue? When I was debugging my N64 that's what I did and it helped me determine it was my TV not liking the lower Hz. There should still be a way I think too to force the output to a HDMI standard 60 Hz, though that might not be possible if you can't mess with your Synch settings. Why would that be disabled with D input, I wonder?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Joe Chill posted:

I think this means that the retro bubble is going to burst sooner than later, at least for the SNES. The bubble has been going on for about ten years now, so any nostalgia fueled buying of SNES games is just not there anymore. People with disposable income now have grown up with later consoles. The same thing happened with Atari 2600 games in the early 2000s. The 2600 market got flooded with repos at the tail end of its bubble.

I went to Super Potato in Japan in 2014, 2015, and 2016

As of 2016 there's basically nothing left, it's just a tourist destination now.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Man that blows.

ETA on how long before a maid cafe does a reproduction Book Off with sick deals as a fantasy realm you take your 20,000 yen an hour maid to?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I can't say I'm really surprised since it's the name everybody knows.

The Famicom throne is still there, right?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The same thing has happened with the secretive arcade cabinet and PCB stores we used to order several crates from a year, it's all dried up. In our case (Swedish collectors) we think it's because we bought all their poo poo.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Regular Nintendo posted:

Sonic 1 and MK1 screenshots despite the games being missing, cool

It lists Sonic 1, Shining Force, Phantasy Star IV, Mortal Kombat and Virtua Fighter II at the top, looks like the three column list is the other games in addition to the headline ones.

Nice to see Chakan: The Forever Man included.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Dave Angel posted:

Why

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

well, he IS the forever man...

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dave Angel posted:

It lists Sonic 1, Shining Force, Phantasy Star IV, Mortal Kombat and Virtua Fighter II at the top, looks like the three column list is the other games in addition to the headline ones.

Oh poo poo

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

The same thing has happened with the secretive arcade cabinet and PCB stores we used to order several crates from a year, it's all dried up. In our case (Swedish collectors) we think it's because we bought all their poo poo.

I suppose I should point out that I know for a fact that there's lots of retrostuff still floating around Japan at reasonable prices; you can just look at any online auction or marketplace site to confirm that. It sounds like the places that western collectors hear about have been thoroughly raided.

Fortunately Book Off is too decentralized and cycles their material too much for this to happen to! :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spoderman posted:

My eyes made a beeline for "Snake" and I was not disappointed.

Also, kinda cool but surprising that the list includes Master System games like "Fantasy Zone" and "Fantasy Zone: the Maze." Maybe it'll accept the Power Base Converter...

I choose to believe someone involved with the project deliberately put those games in as an in-joke to what's expected of an X-in-1 Games System.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

Random Stranger posted:

I can't say I'm really surprised since it's the name everybody knows.

The Famicom throne is still there, right?

The Famicom throne was removed sometime after the 2011 earthquake, sadly.

The Akihabara Super Potato has been largely picked over, but there are other locations for the chain. The one in Ikebukuro is a lot smaller, but it was pretty well stocked when I visited it recently.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Random Stranger posted:

I suppose I should point out that I know for a fact that there's lots of retrostuff still floating around Japan at reasonable prices; you can just look at any online auction or marketplace site to confirm that. It sounds like the places that western collectors hear about have been thoroughly raided.

Fortunately Book Off is too decentralized and cycles their material too much for this to happen to! :v:

Said arcade collector friends moan about yahoo.jp snipers :smith: but they're happy to drop Nintendo-item prices on anything with CAVE written on it

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Do PAL and NTSC arcade machines both run at 60 mhz, or do the PAL machines run slower like the console games?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Willo567 posted:

Do PAL and NTSC arcade machines both run at 60 mhz, or do the PAL machines run slower like the console games?

They're rgb so maybe its one universal refresh rate?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Got my EZFlash IV. Seems legit enough. Now to figure out how to work V2.00, which seems to be literally cutting edge.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Willo567 posted:

Nearly all commercially produced arcade machines ran at 60 hz, because Japan and America were the biggest primary markets by far, and incompatibility with existing TV sets in PAL countries didn't matter.

There are a very small amount of UK/contintental Europe release only arcade machines that used 50 hz displays.

Separate from this issue, there were a few machines from time to time that used refresh rates in the 53-56 hz range to squeeze more vertical resolution on certain monitors. This was again something they could do because you had no need to worry about an existing TV standard. I think one of the early Mortal Kombats did this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I think it was more than "a few". Off the top of my head:

First two Toaplan 68k board series (Flying Shark/Twin Cobra/Truxton/OutZone)
Irem's m72 hardware (R-Type, Image Fight, etc. 55hz, looks jerky as gently caress on 60hz monitors)
Seibu SPI (Raiden Fighters)
1st-gen Cave (DonPachi, Air Gallet)
IGS PGM

Really, if you click through a lot of the weird hz values under "Refresh" in MAME UI variants, there are quite a lot of games that used them. In fact, I'd estimate that they are the rule rather than the exception.

e: I have failed, 60hz games are 4000+. Still more than a few, more like "several". :D

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 10, 2017

• Locked thread