Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

GeneX posted:

I think having the highschooler not be in lingerie as she poses provocatively for the risque photographer is very much an okay thing
This. Very much this. I know "art should not be censored" and all that, but I really do find this much more palatable, and it's not like the changes suddenly make the story or scene not make any sense like some other examples I've seen. It's just a different kind of modeling.

Though it does paint the party's reaction to My Complex in an entirely different light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
That outfit, coupled with the poses she made, made me think of Jojo.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The design of Mirage Gangrel is really good.

As for the whole costume thing, I don't blame the devs for changing it. On one hand, it's a young girl posing seductively and the U.S. loses its mind when even a trace of a boob flies past, so toning it down makes sense. On the other hand, the U.S. doesn't exactly have a direct counterpart to the gravure idol scene like Japan, so I also understand the localization staff not wanting to waste time explaining the joke (for a lack of better words) of what My Complex really is. Yes, there's things like the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue, but that's a one-time yearly thing and not a full-on successful sub-industry. The important part of the scene, Tsubasa' newfound confidence in herself in front of a camera, is still there. It just has slightly different window dressing in the localized version. And that's probably what's so sad about the ":byodood: OMG CENSORSHIP!!!" cries: they're upset about a tiny fragment of the whole scene. If it was something like Tsubasa's posing being completely cut out and the scene being Horinozawa ranting towards something off-screen, then it'd be a different discussion and I maybe might understand the angle those complainers are coming from. But as it is, the scene is still intact and gets the point of the scene across to the player. That is what should matter, not what outfit is being worn.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, much as I don't like that outfit, it's waaay better than a teenager posing for a grownass man in a bikini.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I wouldn't say the new outfit looks better, because it looks incredibly dumb, but it's less creepy and doesn't ruin the scene so it's fine. I'll never use that outfit in combat, though. Not that I would have used the bikini/lingerie or whatever, either.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

snapbacks own

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

In non-vagina bones related talk, I don't think Flux ever gets more much more powerful than +1 or maybe +2? And that there is never any skills that session off of dark/spirit magic so it's basically useless? It might be overall more damage in one hit than most other spells but with a battle system that revolves around getting free damage from your party members i don't see the point.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
A boss that looks like a bored nutcracker.

Yeah, that's pretty SMT.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

The new outfit is amazing

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
NGGGHHHHH.........I couldn't hold it. I'm sorry.

A Tsundere is when a jackass has a squishy center.

Kiria has a cool exterior with a squishy center. That's a "Kuudere."

Done poorly, like it usually is, it still means a woman's persona needs to be "broken into" before she can be befriended or bedded. (Which explains a lot why men and women aren't having sex in Japan.)

Andyzero fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 10, 2017

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Andyzero posted:

NGGGHHHHH.........I couldn't hold it. I'm sorry.

A Tsundere is when a jackass has a squishy center.

Kiria has a cool exterior with a squishy center. That's a "Kuudere."

Done poorly, like it usually is, it still means a woman's persona needs to be "broken into" before she can be befriended or bedded. (Which explains a lot why men and women aren't having sex in Japan.)

The harshest response I can give is to make you aware that you know this and desperately needed to tell everyone in this thread about it.

Also please don't use anime archetypes to describe societal problems irl, you weirdo

Jen X fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jun 10, 2017

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I just noticed that the character pictures in the background glitch out when a party member is knocked unconscious. Nice touch.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Snorb posted:

I just noticed that the character pictures in the background glitch out when a party member is knocked unconscious. Nice touch.

Yeah, it's a really nice detail. The portraits are also super happy and smiling if they can session off one of your attacks and sad, complete with stylized blue sweat bars, if they can session but will wind up hitting an elemental or weapon block, drain, or repel with it.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 10, 2017

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, it's a really nice detail. The portraits are also super happy and smiling if they can session off one of your attacks and sad, complete with stylized blue sweat bars, if they can session but will wind up hitting an elemental or weapon block, drain, or repel with it.

This is a beautiful touch. I haven't noticed it thus far, although I can't tell if that's because it hasn't happened yet or if I'm just unobservant.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

To see Itsuki's beaming smile is what gets me through those tough boss fights

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

vdate posted:

This is a beautiful touch. I haven't noticed it thus far, although I can't tell if that's because it hasn't happened yet or if I'm just unobservant.

I don't have any shots of them being despaired because it'll hit a combo breaker but:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Another shown point of paying attention to detail is that characters can sometimes shout out the name of the next person in a Session. I know I've heard Tsubasa go "Touma-san!", and Touma go "Kiria!", and a few other characters do the same thing.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Gotta love honest to goodness teamwork.

Especially with those funky stage portraits.

Although now I'm really wondering what's going on in the left stage portrait here. Is that Tsubasa/Kirlia as a samurai woman with her butt hanging out?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

EponymousMrYar posted:

Although now I'm really wondering what's going on in the left stage portrait here. Is that Tsubasa/Kirlia as a samurai woman with her butt hanging out?

That's Kiria's default "Vocaloid of the High Seas" costume. No butts.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Ok, now it makes sense. That's not a sword, that's a lock of hair. That's not a butt, it's a shoulder. Got it.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Junpei posted:

Another shown point of paying attention to detail is that characters can sometimes shout out the name of the next person in a Session. I know I've heard Tsubasa go "Touma-san!", and Touma go "Kiria!", and a few other characters do the same thing.

I really wish the in-combat incidental dialogue was subbed, I want to know what my squad of goofballs are shouting to each other.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Artix posted:

I don't have any shots of them being despaired because it'll hit a combo breaker but:

This is a really nice touch. In the first image Kiria can't join the session, and her portrait is neutral on a mostly colorless background.
In the second image both Tsubasa and Touma are pumped up on a green background. Notice how the face is less zoomed in both to show a bit more of the pose and to make the green pop out more.
If somebody is going to hit a null, drain or repel, their portrait is heavily tinted red and as a second warning there's a voice clip (this is the only warning you get if said party member is in the bench). Notice how the target is in the middle of the screen while the portraits flank it; while not in your center of vision the color is something that catches the eye, so it's rare to ignore a bad session proposal.

I don't think you explicitly said it and I'm fairly sure the game is ambiguous on this, but ad-libs and specials are not the only attacks to ignore* resistances on both the attack and the followup session, specialized attacks hitting the correct target (e.g. horseslayer against mounted targets) do so too. So for example if a cavalry enemy nulls both swords and electric, Itsuki will still be able to join without breaking the combo if for example Touma wacks it with an horseslayer, whereas an axe user going for the weapon triangle advantage will leave our protagonist with nothing to do at best.
A side note to sessions: all characters get exactly 2 elements with their session attacks, so if Itsuki joins a session his attack will always be either sword or electric while Touma will always followup with spear or fire.
*weakness still counts though

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

RandallODim posted:

I really wish the in-combat incidental dialogue was subbed, I want to know what my squad of goofballs are shouting to each other.

You can usually tell what's going on. It's usually idle chatter between party and Mirage (Tharja does creepy chuckle, Kiria says her name in a questioning tone, Itsuki and Chrom say a badass line in unison) or commentary on the the condition of the fight (Itsuki yelling Tsubasa's name if she's KOed, Touma groaning because he's poisoned).

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Omobono posted:

If somebody is going to hit a null, drain or repel, their portrait is heavily tinted red and as a second warning there's a voice clip (this is the only warning you get if said party member is in the bench).

This isn't entirely true; on the list of session follow-ups, there will be a little face in the risk column to designate that it's a bad element-resistance combination. I can't remember specifically what, but I think there's a :| face for Null and a D: face for Repel. Haven't played the game recently though, so I can't say for sure my memory is reliable.

Junpei posted:

You can usually tell what's going on. It's usually idle chatter between party and Mirage (Tharja does creepy chuckle, Kiria says her name in a questioning tone, Itsuki and Chrom say a badass line in unison) or commentary on the the condition of the fight (Itsuki yelling Tsubasa's name if she's KOed, Touma groaning because he's poisoned).

Well yeah, I can guess the gist from context and delivery but I want to understand it what specifically is being said.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

RandallODim posted:

This isn't entirely true; on the list of session follow-ups, there will be a little face in the risk column to designate that it's a bad element-resistance combination. I can't remember specifically what, but I think there's a :| face for Null and a D: face for Repel. Haven't played the game recently though, so I can't say for sure my memory is reliable.

Yeah, my bad, I actually meant "non-textual warning". The session list also points to null/repel/drains with an yellow :| emoticon for nulls and a red :-( for repel and drains.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Omobono posted:

Yeah, my bad, I actually meant "non-textual warning". The session list also points to null/repel/drains with an yellow :| emoticon for nulls and a red :-( for repel and drains.

It also warns of things it doesn't know about with the yellow symbol. Just as a "Hey, this could work or it couldn't, just FYI"

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Safe and Sound :siren:

Nnh... Everyone...?

Actually, Ms. Maiko, I think you're the one that saved me. If it wasn't for your photo book, I don't know if I could have gotten through this...

After I saw your photos, I realized something very important.

Photo book...? Are you talking about "My Complex"?

Yes! Thanks to that, I found an answer of my own!

Hee hee... Is that so? Well, I'm glad it came in handy for you, Tsubasa.

Nobu...

And Oribe.

Y-Yes!?

I know now there was something wrong with me. You helped open my eyes to what I had been doing. I want to thank you... There was a part of me that felt like all idols were worthless.

But you healed my clouded judgement! There's still people who know what it means to model! I have my art back... Let's take wonderful pictures together!

Y-Yes, sir! I- Um... It'll be ply measure!

Aw, it's a happy ending for everyone. :unsmith:

I always thought Maiko looked really awkward here. Tsubasa and the blonde girl can pull the look off, but Maiko is just too old for that overalls getup. She looked much more natural in the original swimsuit, albeit still kind of out of place next to the others.

A successful photo shoot. Well done, gang!

I thought I might be falling for you! I can understand now why Touma was so into that photo book.

Huh? U-Um... F-F-Falling... for me...? Wh-What's gotten into you all of a sudden?

I think I understand what Kiria meant when she talked about a performance that can captivate a viewer. I'm sure those pictures you just took will capture the hearts of your fans, Tsubasa.

...Oh...

What's wrong?

Nothing...

:cripes: Another day, another opportunity for Itsuki to shove his foot in his mouth.

Anyway... it was thanks to you that I managed to get this far, Itsuki. So... Thank you.

...? What's the problem? Something on my face?

Oh, uh- No...

...Whatever. Bye. I have to go pack up for the day. *leaves*

That girl really stands out...

She sure does, Itsuki. She's almost as rude as Yashiro, and that's quite the accomplishment!

Anyway, back to the office to close this chapter out.

:siren: Eleonora Yumizuru :siren:

O-O-Ohmygosh! Wh-What do I do, Itsuki!? Kiria's complimenting me!

Then again, maybe some things aren't going to change...

Huh?

I'm looking forward to seeing you improve even more.

Eeeeek! Y-Y-Yes, ma'am! Mank you thery vuch!

I never would have guessed from how you act, Kiria, but you really do care a lot about other people.

I... have no idea what you're talking about.

And the enemies are slowly getting stronger, too. This could be bad.

I know what you mean, Kiria... If we can't find a way to fight back, the attacks might get to be more than we can handle.

Our best shot is to take down the root of all this... The enemy Mirage that’s commanding all of them. The problem is, how exactly are we going to find this leader...?

First of all... Do we know what kind of a person we're up against?

Well, not quite, Itsuki. The leader's bound to be a Mirage, not a human.

Right, but what I mean is if this Mirage leader is possessing someone, what kind of person would it possess?

Well... If we're talking about the boss of all our enemies, it'd probably possess a powerful figure in the industry...

*Gasp*! That's it... All the powerful Mirages that were involved in the incidents have been directly possessing humans! I was imagining someone more like Tiki... but if they’re actively plotting against us, they’d need a body in our world!

So the enemy leader would possess someone influential enough in entertainment that they could afford Nobu’s time... No...that doesn't get us very far, actually. There'd still be way too many possibilities.

What do you mean?

Mr. Horinozawa's personality would have been different immediately before and after he was possessed.

I see... So the point right before the change would be when he came into contact with the Mirage mastermind! Nice thinking, Itsuki!

All right. Time to put all my connections to good use!

This is a surprisingly solid plan, given our group's track record! Of course, it hinges on Maiko's business connections knowing pretty much every media executive and knowing when this personality change happened and that said personality change was drastic enough that other executives noticed.

...So yeah, it's pretty much on par with our other hair-brained schemes. Great work, team!

She?

???: Oh, did I keep you waiting? Well, I'm back now. A true Hollywood-style homecoming!

Hey, it's the blonde girl from earlier. See if you can figure out her gimmick before the end of the update, they're pretty subtle about it.

Welcome back, Ellie!

This is Eleonora Yumizuru. She's a Mirage Master like you all, and also a young actress with Fortuna Entertainment.

That's right. I'm a rising star right now, but I'll be at the top of Hollywood soon enough.

Wait, you were at that shoot too...? I didn't know you were with Fortuna.

I'm a new Mirage Master here. My name's Itsuki Aoi. It's nice to meet you.

A new Master, huh. And what exactly are you aiming to be?

I haven't really figured that out yet. I don't really know if I'm good at anything...

Geez. So you really are just a total newbie here. Well, if you ever need anything, just come to me for help. Experienced veterans have to show the newbies how everything works. That's how it works in Hollywood!

...Yeah, Hollywood and everywhere else...

Itsuki is clearly not impressed by Ellie's veteran status. Kiria seems like a far more approachable role model if he really had any questions.

Just Ellie's fine. Everyone calls me that. It sounds way more Hollywood.

Sounds...Hollywood?

Exactly. So, what's up?

Are you...biracial, Ellie?

You got it. My mom's side is from Europe.

I see...

What? It's not like that's a big deal.

Some day, this is going to bite us in the rear end. But today is not that day. :allears:

Well, you're just so pretty. I was just thinking you probably look great on-screen when you're in movies or TV shows.

Wh-

G-Geez, and out comes the sweet talk! I can see right through your little act, you know!

Wh-What? No, that's not my intention at all.

That's our Itsuki! *cue laugh track*

So, Ellie, what kind of shows have you been in?

What? Are you serious? Are you telling me you've never seen "Dandelion in Love"!? It's getting really big these days!

Sorry, I've never heard of it...but it must be an amazing show.

O-Of course it is! And it's exactly the breakout hit I need to become a huge star someday!

Okay...

What's your deal...? Fine. You just watch. One day, you won't be able to turn on the TV without seeing my face!

And YOU can cut it out with that patronizing attitude! I'm not a fan!

I'm not trying to be patronizing... but that show of yours isn’t getting great ratings. And barely anyone’s talking about it.

I-It’s just getting started! It’s foreshadowing for the big dramatic turnaround, like in all success story movies! You just don’t get it!

Thank you, Touma. :allears:

And are you new here, too?

Mhm! My name is Tsubasa Oribe. It's my pleasure to be working with you, Ms. Eleonora.

Tsubasa, huh? You can just call me Ellie, too. That sounds more movie-star-ish.

In the midst of all this silliness, Maiko gets a phone call.

And that must be a new offer for me!

Yes...? Yes... I'll let her know. Thank you very much.

So, what's the new gig?

Uh, well, it was a job offer... for Mamori...

Um... well... Never give up, Ellie! Tomorrow is another day!

O-Oh... that's fine! I mean, I just came back from a job anyways! Gotta get some rest first!

Haha... guess our office is going to get a lot louder again...

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say her Mirage is one of the arrogant noblity type - Maribelle maybe?. We don't have a healer or archer yet, and she doesn't strike me that she'd be an armored knight.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

Robindaybird posted:

I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say her Mirage is one of the arrogant noblity type - Maribelle maybe?. We don't have a healer or archer yet, and she doesn't strike me that she'd be an armored knight.

Nah, our healer is Tsubasa. So that leaves Archer as the only role we don't have yet.

That said, since the game seems to only pull from either Awakening or Shadow Dragon, her Mirage is totally going to be Virion.

He'll be the cool, self-assured noble ladies man to her desperate posturing.

Or she'll get Gordin.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

We haven't gotten an axe user yet, have we? She could very well have someone like Vaike.

E: Comedy option since they're hamfisting the whole "country girl" thing: Donnel. :haw:

Jade Rider fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jun 13, 2017

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
Her Mirage will be a woman because I don't expect them to buck the trend of same gender master/mirage pairs.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

As per usual, her last name says what class she is. Yumizuru. As Birthright taught us, yumi means bow. She's an Archer.

Heavy Sigh posted:

Nah, our healer is Tsubasa. So that leaves Archer as the only role we don't have yet.

That said, since the game seems to only pull from either Awakening or Shadow Dragon, her Mirage is totally going to be Virion.

He'll be the cool, self-assured noble ladies man to her desperate posturing.

Or she'll get Gordin.

I'd love her getting Gaggles because it'd be hilariously unfitting, but that'd be the first time in the game that there's that much of a clash between Master and Mirage. Virion seems like a safe bet.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I really really like Ellie. She also has the second coolest Mirage Master form after Touma.

Well, second coolest party member Mirage Master form.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I actually don't mind the Carnage Forms (with the obvious exception of Bondage Pirate Miku).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Best character alert

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah, I doubt they'll do overlap with characters and have Noire be Ellie's Mirage, nobody remembers Ryan, Jeorge, Norne and Kleine, and Gordin only has a throwaway gag (pun not intended) to his credit. So sadly her Mirage is Virion by process of elimination. Which is more of an indictment of just how painfully forgettable the archers in our limited pool of characters are, Noire aside. And especially how badly forgotten Jeorge is, too. You'd think the guy associated with Parthia would get higher billing thanks to his weapon's in-game fame as one of the Three Regalia, but nope.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

:allears:

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Man, if only she could have Innes. :allears:

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Picayune posted:

It would've been perfect!

But I guess Innes would just sass her.

Especially with that personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Picayune posted:

If only.

When/if an axe character shows up, I really hope we get Vaike. Teach needs his time to shine.

• Locked thread