Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

maskenfreiheit posted:

how was walt a suddenly a :airquote: "bad guy" :airquote: in S5, but not S1-4?

he's a bad guy in season 1 kind of the same way saul is a bad guy. you can see what they are doing is wrong, but you're still rooting for them. you're putting too much emphasis on "bad guy" and not enough on "people turning on the main character."

nobody turned on walt in the first season. but by the end of the 5th season, it's pretty easy to turn on him, at least in my opinion. that's why i said 5th season, because it's, in my opinion, the least arbitrary point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

maskenfreiheit posted:

Season 5 is when Walt realizes that he actually is in fact a bad guy. He gets hank killed, realizes that he killed mike for no reason other than wanting to kill mike, sells Jessie into slavery, and finally admits to himself that he did the whole thing because he wanted to, not because he needed to.

I think the story generally tried to point out that walts actions were very bad within the context of the world but many of the ways they tried to show this were weaker parts of the story. I'm thinking of the plane crash in particular.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Also the "police are evil" derail wasn't very becoming of this thread.

If you don't think cops are garbage you're either not paying attention or are garbage yourself, sorry I don't make the rules

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 10, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

If you don't think cops are garbage you're either not paying attention or are garbage yourself, sorry I don't make the rules

sir this is the wendy's drive thru

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Rexides posted:

In some way it's a shame that this is a prequel, because first season Jimmy is a genuinely good person, but everything he does is viewed through the lens we remember him in Breaking Bad (and the flashbacks to his past don't help). Even though he suspects that his brother's disease was fake, he goes to great lengths to help him, he worked hard to get his degree and pass the bar exam so he could have a honest life, entered the non-prestigious field of writing wills, and fought a company that was taking advantage of old people. But if you see him as "Saul", it's easy to reinterpret those things in a different light: He was trying to make his rich brother depend on him for everything, he got a sham degree just so he could jump on the McGill brand, he became the used car salesman equivalent of elder law, and the only reason he pursued the Sandpiper case was to further his career.

Good point, I kinda wish they just made this show with completely new characters. You're right that Breaking Bad formed biases for me that affect how I view these characters. Like I would probably root for Mike & Gus if I didn't know the things they would do in BB

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

TBeats posted:

you're right, my mistake. i'm looking at protagonist as the hero, opposite of antagonist.

however, my point still stands even though i got my words wrong. saul can be the protagonist (based on the correct definition) and be the bad guy that people turn on. see: walter white in the 5th season of BB.

I never turned on WW. I think it was because his family was so insufferably annoying, that I could sympathize with him being a complete dickhead, I'd probably be the same way, if I had that family

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

Work Friend Keven posted:

Season 5 is when Walt realizes that he actually is in fact a bad guy. He gets hank killed, realizes that he killed mike for no reason other than wanting to kill mike, sells Jessie into slavery, and finally admits to himself that he did the whole thing because he wanted to, not because he needed to.

I think the story generally tried to point out that walts actions were very bad within the context of the world but many of the ways they tried to show this were weaker parts of the story. I'm thinking of the plane crash in particular.

Mike told him point blank that he would kill him without a moment's hesitation if Gus told him to. WW knew Gus wanted him dead... I'd hardly call him killing Mike to be "for no reason other than wanting to kill Mike". Mike basically forced him to, with the veiled threats he constantly made to him. Walt actually tried to make peace with Mike, but Mike wasn't having it for some reason

DrunkPanda fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 10, 2017

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

TBeats posted:

lol

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

DrunkPanda posted:

Am I the only one who really hates Saul? I liked him a lot in Breaking Bad, but it was more laughing at him than anything else. But in this show, I just hate him. Part of it is he's a scam artist and I hate those people. The other part is that he actually thinks he's the good guy and that other people are treating him unfairly, whenever he gets any sort of negative consequences for his actions (like committing multiple felonies to steal a client from his brother).

It sucks, because we know that he "wins" in the end and I really want to see him fail

DrunkPanda posted:

I never turned on WW. I think it was because his family was so insufferably annoying, that I could sympathize with him being a complete dickhead, I'd probably be the same way, if I had that family

drat man, at least keep these posts a day apart.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Very surprised no one has gif'd what may be perhaps the finest pratfall of the year so far.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

TBeats posted:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

The part that amazed me about this shot is keeping the lighting the same for each of the shots. Maybe that's something easy to do when compositing the shots in post nowadays, but to this layman's eyes it was really cool.

They just need a solidly overcast or solidly cloudless day. Theres a good chance they used daylight balanced fill light set juuuuust right too, good lights have really granular controls.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

maskenfreiheit posted:

Killed Mike, the true hero of these shows.

(He was a bad guy in S01e01)

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Cnut the Great posted:

Little Jimmy Jr. and Saulette Andy and Ollie.

Jimmy gets off on a technicality and can go back to his old life. He gets hair transplants, has three kids with Kim, gets divorced, and takes his business experience from Cinnabon to heart so he can open a schlocky Italian pizzeria on the east coast

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

As someone who has fallen on hard times, I can't not empathize with Jimmy, and he's the main reason I enjoy the show. I wish I had half the charisma he does. I was nearly arrested for stealing food two weeks ago. Yesterday, I found out that I didn't get a job as a call center temp. Loan repayments for my worthless master's start in six weeks, and I didn't win the Powerball tonight. Watching someone else stand up to the system and make his own way is all I have left.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rexides posted:

In some way it's a shame that this is a prequel, because first season Jimmy is a genuinely good person, but everything he does is viewed through the lens we remember him in Breaking Bad (and the flashbacks to his past don't help). Even though he suspects that his brother's disease was fake, he goes to great lengths to help him, he worked hard to get his degree and pass the bar exam so he could have a honest life, entered the non-prestigious field of writing wills, and fought a company that was taking advantage of old people. But if you see him as "Saul", it's easy to reinterpret those things in a different light: He was trying to make his rich brother depend on him for everything, he got a sham degree just so he could jump on the McGill brand, he became the used car salesman equivalent of elder law, and the only reason he pursued the Sandpiper case was to further his career.

it's pretty obvious that jimmy did care about his brother and did that poo poo because he loved him and that he did care about the old folks he did elder law for (if he was always "saul" he wouldn't return money to a woman who couldn't afford his will service right then). he targets shitheads in his actual scams with marco et al.

it's good it's a prequel because there's this constant sense of dread where you go how did this person become saul.

DrunkPanda posted:

It sucks, because we know that he "wins" in the end

how do you figure?

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 11, 2017

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
There are people who risk life and limp to come to America and own a Cinnabon.

Owning a Cinnabon after a long life of grifting including being a drug lord's personal attorney is definitely a "win", if you think hard about it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well it's basically the same situation as the Shield's ending. Jimmy could've ended up at a top-tier NY law firm and he'd be still miserable.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Owning a cinnabon would be cool. He's just the manager though

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

In Omaha Nebraska, Cinnabon owns you!

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Aliquid posted:

As someone who has fallen on hard times, I can't not empathize with Jimmy, and he's the main reason I enjoy the show. I wish I had half the charisma he does. I was nearly arrested for stealing food two weeks ago. Yesterday, I found out that I didn't get a job as a call center temp. Loan repayments for my worthless master's start in six weeks, and I didn't win the Powerball tonight. Watching someone else stand up to the system and make his own way is all I have left.

You need to meet a couple of enterprising meth cooks to really go places

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DrunkPanda posted:

Mike told him point blank that he would kill him without a moment's hesitation if Gus told him to. WW knew Gus wanted him dead... I'd hardly call him killing Mike to be "for no reason other than wanting to kill Mike". Mike basically forced him to, with the veiled threats he constantly made to him. Walt actually tried to make peace with Mike, but Mike wasn't having it for some reason

Walt did kind of just murder all of Mike's people in prison to cover his own rear end, you know

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Blazing Ownager posted:

Walt did kind of just murder all of Mike's people in prison to cover his own rear end, you know

That was after Walt killed Mike because Mike wouldn't give him the names of the guys in prison, leading to Walt doing something he finally felt guilty about, because Lydia had the names and he could have just gotten them from her.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Owning a cinnabon would be cool. He's just the manager though

Are you sure?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Don't the owners often also manage?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

maskenfreiheit posted:

owner and manager are two separate positions.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

TBeats posted:

owner and manager are two separate positions.

Though it wouldn't surprise me if the vacuum repair man was the legal franchise owner making Saul the effective owner.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Work Friend Keven posted:

Walt didn't want Hank to get killed, he was willing to give up 80 million dollars to Hank would live. Doesn't sound like something a bad guy would do.

Jesse was a rat and so, deserved slavery.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Hitler liked dogs, ergo he wasn't really a bad guy

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

hiddenmovement posted:

Hitler liked dogs, ergo he wasn't really a bad guy

He was also the person who finally killed Hitler.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

maskenfreiheit posted:

They can, I dunno about Cinnabon, but I've worked at places where the owner was a manager mainly so he'd have more stuff to do and also to save money not hiring a manager.

In this case Gene is probably the manager and Saul is the owner.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Brightman posted:

In this case Gene is probably the manager and Ice Station Zebra Associates is the owner.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Gene owns and manages several Cinnabons in the area and he's basically ramping up to become the Omaha Gus.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

maskenfreiheit posted:

Given that the show already has one character who literally is an owner who also manages his location I can get why you would think that about Gene as well, but I doubt that actually owning a business will make it easier to hide from federal investigators.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
It's best not to analyze things too much with regards to the whole Gene situation. The guy had his face on billboards and all over TV in Albuquerque for years, and here he is right there in front of customers in a crowded Omaha mall who knows who the hell will walk through there, one day it could be Howard, or maybe it'll be the cop who arrested Badger and had facetime with Saul. I know it's a couple states away, but I don't think it's a very good job of hiding him.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Nail Rat posted:

It's best not to analyze things too much with regards to the whole Gene situation. The guy had his face on billboards and all over TV in Albuquerque for years, and here he is right there in front of customers in a crowded Omaha mall who knows who the hell will walk through there, one day it could be Howard, or maybe it'll be the cop who arrested Badger and had facetime with Saul. I know it's a couple states away, but I don't think it's a very good job of hiding him.

Well actually he is wearing a disguise. And this is it:

So he's covered!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Y’all are vastly overestimating the attention people pay to Cinnabon managers’ faces.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
And how well people remember poo poo-tier lawyer commercials and billboards. No way I would recognize Jim Sokolove working at a cinnabon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lmao urge.....to succumb to electrical interference....rising....

• Locked thread