Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
I'm half expecting that to be the direction the film goes in, though I doubt Disney would stake $150m on that kind of concept.

Then I remember Zootopia, which was sold as one thing and was definitely a different thing, and I doubt my doubts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Ugh, the narrationless teaser trailer was much more charming.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Which is the superior anime: Captain Underpants or Cory in the House?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Ugh.
Ugggggggghhhhh.
Hahah, Son of Bigfoot. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ5yzbUDz_c

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
https://imgur.com/gallery/gYxPO

I just see pepe now.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Drifter posted:

Ugh.
Ugggggggghhhhh.
Hahah, Son of Bigfoot. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ5yzbUDz_c

It's like someone saw that episode of the new MST3K and GOTG v2 years ago and said "Oh. Yeah. We can do that. Is it cool if we use all these old Big Hero 6 assets you don't want?"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

That movie makes no sense, but if you look at all the evidence, Bigfoot is his daddy and it has to protect him.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
http://i.imgur.com/2hnQLyi.mp4

:laugh:
I couldn't watch an hour of this poo poo, but in short bursts I find this hilarious. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba62uuv-5Dc

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The MSJ posted:

That movie makes no sense, but if you look at all the evidence, Bigfoot is his daddy and it has to protect him.

He's certainly in the misty mountainside, but he doesn't seem to be half man and half machine, and I haven't seen him on the cover of a magazine. Fake news. :colbert:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
so I just saw GOG vol 2, which would normally be unrelated, except it shared Lego Batman's message that you don't need a traditional biological family.

I've remembered that the bad message of needing a traditional family has come up a bit in animated movies. There's been plenty of lovely ones like Mars Needs Moms, but also things like Dispicable Me 2 and Boxtrolls from writers you'd think would know better, and probably a bunch of other movies I don't remember right now that the thread's discussed. Like even Tangled the Stepmother is evil and the bio-mother is a good guy and this is a movie that otherwise is trying to talk about how much better it is than princess stories.

It's also surprising that the two movies about nontraditional families come from the superhero genre.

No real point here and I don't really know all the data to make any kind of conclusion, was just thinking about it after the movie.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Hemingway To Go! posted:

It's also surprising that the two movies about nontraditional families come from the superhero genre.

Three. The first Guardians of the Galaxy was totally about assembling a de facto family, too, it was just slightly less explicit about it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Despicable Me 2 felt especially weird because A) the first movie so much about Gru becoming a dad and how he is able to cultivate this normal family being a single dad and B) they twisted themselves like a pretzel to come up with that nonsense where there was some mother's day school play or whatever that Gru couldn't participate in. You could easily have had "Gru gets a girlfriend" without attaching this weird thing to the movie where the girls (mostly the youngest one) REALLY want a mom

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Trolls is thoroughly a'ight, but I prefer the trashier Strange Magic.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

Hemingway To Go! posted:

so I just saw GOG vol 2, which would normally be unrelated, except it shared Lego Batman's message that you don't need a traditional biological family.

I've remembered that the bad message of needing a traditional family has come up a bit in animated movies. There's been plenty of lovely ones like Mars Needs Moms, but also things like Dispicable Me 2 and Boxtrolls from writers you'd think would know better, and probably a bunch of other movies I don't remember right now that the thread's discussed. Like even Tangled the Stepmother is evil and the bio-mother is a good guy and this is a movie that otherwise is trying to talk about how much better it is than princess stories.

No real point here and I don't really know all the data to make any kind of conclusion, was just thinking about it after the movie.

KFP2 did this too and I'm still salty about it, killed any interest I had in seeing the third one. I've heard it wasn't that great anyway.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
KFP3 has po's fathers agree to both be his dad and po is cool with this

KFP2's dilemma is more 'where did I come from?' more than 'i need my biological father and mother to be a functional person'

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

KFP2 never did the "I need a parent that isn't my crane-dad" - and they completely reaffirmed their relationship. It was "Why did I freeze up when facing the bad guy? Why am I here?"

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Macaluso posted:

Despicable Me 2 felt especially weird because A) the first movie so much about Gru becoming a dad and how he is able to cultivate this normal family being a single dad and B) they twisted themselves like a pretzel to come up with that nonsense where there was some mother's day school play or whatever that Gru couldn't participate in. You could easily have had "Gru gets a girlfriend" without attaching this weird thing to the movie where the girls (mostly the youngest one) REALLY want a mom

Yeah, I mean, even in the introduction to the same movie, it's shown that Gru can already do pretty well on his own, and was willing to go the extra mile for his girls to make the birthday party... memorable.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Robindaybird posted:

KFP2 never did the "I need a parent that isn't my crane-dad" - and they completely reaffirmed their relationship. It was "Why did I freeze up when facing the bad guy? Why am I here?"

Yeah I actually really liked KFP2's handling of it. I mean I could accept that maybe bringing Po's real dad up as being alive at the end undermines it a bit, but I'd say the most important part of Po finding inner peace is at the end of his water drop flashback sequence. When it cuts through a bunch of shots of him and his adopted dad being a family. I haven't seen 3 yet, but I did like how at the end of 2 Po goes "I know who I am. I'm your son" :3: There was nothing about that movie trying to push "normal" families at all. In fact I think the Five as well as Shifu can be considered almost extended family for Po

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Weirdly, the only thing I remember from KFP3 was that the villain had a killer theme. Panda Village was a whole lot of nothin', though. And did Po's bio-dad have a personality more than "Dad?" Ping registered, but not him.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
KFP3's villain was very memorable

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

K. Waste posted:

Trolls is thoroughly a'ight, but I prefer the trashier Strange Magic.

We only got through the first half hour last night but my gf and I dig Trolls. The scrapbook aesthetic kinda owns?? I'd love to see a feature in the same vein as Nintendo's Yarn and Paper games

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Cops are children with guns.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

quote:

"What was cool was so many officers have seen the movie so many times and they never saw the parallels with real life, policing, the internal issues we deal with and the external," Ofc. Colleen Rooney said.

Is that like, wilful ignorance, or something? :confused:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

This makes me sad.

The_Doctor posted:

It's probably just people aren't really trained to engage with movies like that. Lotta people treat movies as throwaway things, entertainment, they don't really stop to think about what they're watching they just watch it and let it end and say "that was good" and move on.

Like, I've literally talked with people before who have sat through a two hour blockbuster, in theatres, and could only say "yeah it was good, I liked the part with the explosion where Captain America saves his bro" and then when I try to talk about how the movie portrays large scale government surveillance as the work of evil they have no idea what I just said, because they didn't see it, in the movie they just watched, which explicitly calls attention to it and talks about it at length.

People can watch movies, animated movies in particular, and walk away as if they'd just stared at a wall for two hours.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Hedrigall posted:

KFP3's villain was very memorable

Kung Fu Panda has the absolute best villains and handles them really well. I loved everything about Shen and as stated, Kai's theme loving ruled and I also loved everything about him, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jWB_YidG-c

Though I do think 3 was the weakest so far, but I'm still excited to see more. 3 could have been worse with the dad stuff, I really don't have any time for adopted families vs biological families crap, but in the end I think they handled it okay. But yeah Panda Town was kind of lackluster :( I wanted more cute panda action.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

The_Doctor posted:

As has alreay been pointed out, Zootopia doesn't actually reflect social realities of crime and prejudice. It's only liberals who've convinced themselves of that.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

As has alreay been pointed out, Zootopia doesn't actually reflect social realities of crime and prejudice. It's only liberals who've convinced themselves of that.

I mean, no?

Zootopia parallels social realities of prejudice, but in the construct of its own fictional setting. Nobody is a direct correlation to any marginalized groups in real life, but the ideas of prejudice remain the same.

Honestly it's a great idea to use it for police bias training because of exactly that. One of the quotes in the article puts it perfectly,

quote:

"Because there was not one human character, you could learn from it without being judged or feeling like they were putting it on you," Sgt. Deanna Fink said.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Zootopia does reflect real life problems, but you could also argue it does it kind of poorly and acts as a largely surface level commentary. It could be more pointed to teach a lesson or something.

But its still enjoyable enough.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

nerdman42 posted:

Zootopia does reflect real life problems, but you could also argue it does it kind of poorly and acts as a largely surface level commentary. It could be more pointed to teach a lesson or something.

But its still enjoyable enough.

It sounds like those police people are using it to start a dialog in order to facilitate a teachable moment, not to be the sole tool by which the workforce is taught with.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

quote:

"Because there was not one human character, you could learn from it without being judged or feeling like they were putting it on you," Sgt. Deanna Fink said.

I will judge you all I want, Sgt. Fink, because you're a grown-rear end adult with a gun and if you needed a children's movie to teach you not to kill black people for no reason, you shouldn't have your job.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
That's the kind of dodgy logic that leads to people saying they don't need sensitivity training because surely they aren't racist.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't want to cross-pollinate too much but this was shown at E3 and the aesthetic is absolutely amazing on first glance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5iGwE0XJ1s

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Martytoof posted:

I don't want to cross-pollinate too much but this was shown at E3 and the aesthetic is absolutely amazing on first glance.

It looks great (and has since the first trailer at E3 2014 :P) but it's not enough to get me to buy an Xbox One

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's also going to be on Steam, so you won't have to! There was literally one game at that conference that was Xbone exclusive and not also coming to PC somehow and that was a new version of an existing PC game.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Ultra Carp
Yeah, for the past year or so Microsoft has basically given up on segregating PC and Xbox titles and has settled for "If it comes out on a platform we sell (i.e. Windows or Xbox) it's an exclusive."

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Speaking of video games tangentially related to animated film, Kingdom Hearts 3 got a new trailer, and will announce another world at D23 mid-next month.

I'll just say that the Japanese voice for Hades is uncannily similar to James Woods's voice. I wonder if that was the voice Disney used for the dub of Hercules itself, or what?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Martytoof posted:

:aaa: I urgently need a better PC.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Shadow Hog posted:

Speaking of video games tangentially related to animated film, Kingdom Hearts 3 got a new trailer, and will announce another world at D23 mid-next month.

I'll just say that the Japanese voice for Hades is uncannily similar to James Woods's voice. I wonder if that was the voice Disney used for the dub of Hercules itself, or what?

I'd be more excited if 1) it hasn't been literal years since it's been announced, 2( it's still literal years before it's released, and /3 the trailer ends with the release date for another loving trailer

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Don't bother responding to Bravestofthelamps, they're a fly-by troll that loves to poo poo up threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Martytoof posted:

I mean since we're doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kPSl2vyu2Y

Especially the shot of the spider holy moly :swoon: