Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

purple death ray posted:

Jesus christ, does anything happen on Facebook Live that's not a murder/suicide/rape?

I see people streaming the concerts they're at. They're moving too much and the phone's mic is too crappy to be able to enjoy it, but at least no one's dieing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

duz posted:

I see people streaming the concerts they're at. They're moving too much and the phone's mic is too crappy to be able to enjoy it, but at least no one's dieing.*

*does not apply to Ariana Grande concerts

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

purple death ray posted:

Jesus christ, does anything happen on Facebook Live that's not a murder/suicide/rape?

Sometimes torture happens

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

What a time to be alive

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Until Facebook Live gets ahold of you, at least

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
You're all a bunch of loving coconuts

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

tweedalee-dee

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'll murder you

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

quote:

A report alleged that Naika was raped while she was in foster care. The accused denied it, saying it was Naika who was sexually aggressive, the report says.
Which, if true, is a giant red flag that SOMEONE has sexually abused her. Christ.

pookel has a new favorite as of 18:49 on Jun 8, 2017

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

pookel posted:

Which, if true, is a giant red flag that SOMEONE has sexually abused her. Christ.

The article straight up says that her mom beat her 30 times with a belt when she caught her in "a sex act" with a male babysitter. She was 6 years old at the time.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Polish author Krystian Bala writes a book about a murder. Turns out that the book is based on a real life murder he comitted.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2008/02/11/true-crime

There's a similar case with a man called Mark Twitchell, but this time with a movie he was trying to make. Lured his victims in by posing as women who the guys thought they were meeting for a date. He was inspired by the tv series Dexter. He's still allowed to watch it in prison now.

a not very good write up.

http://www.truecrimereport.com/2008/11/mark_andrew_twitchells_macabre.php

Short article about the case

http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/edmonton-police-allege-man-made-movie-about-murder-1.338890

There isn't really a good write up of the case but I recall there being an episode of Dateline on it if you can stand watching it.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Not so much scary or unnerving as vague and sad. A corpse is identified after 47 years.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/07/nyregion/unsolved-harlem-murder.html?_r=0

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The aftermath of a school shooting in Townville, S.C. that killed a 6-year-old and its effects on his classmates.

quote:

The school, scheduled to resume classes the next day, hosted an open house that afternoon. No one knew how the kids would react, but Fredericks, the principal, believed the small step of a brief return might help with the big step of a permanent one. In Townville, where nearly 7 in 10 of the school’s students live in poverty, it wasn’t viable to construct a new building or bus them elsewhere.

They had to go back.

When they did that afternoon, some kids even returned to the playground. Collin rolled out on his light blue medical scooter. Siena climbed a play set.

But Ava lingered behind with her mom.

“Please don’t make me go out there again,” Ava said, before they eased onto the sidewalk, holding hands. With each step, the girl’s fingernails dug deeper into her mother’s skin.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The aftermath of a school shooting in Townville, S.C. that killed a 6-year-old and its effects on his classmates.

Dang, that's some bad writing

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Man, the fact that a young child died was bad enough, but the pictures of the funeral are what really did me in :(

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

CommissarMega posted:

Man, the fact that a young child died was bad enough, but the pictures of the funeral are what really did me in :(

I read that piece when I had insomnia last night and ended up crying on the sofa in the middle of the night :(

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Here's one I wasn't expecting when I clicked on the link.

BBC reporter visits the old Jewish cemetery in Mumbai, presumably while researching another story, becomes intrigued by one of the most recent graves, a young woman who died in the 1940s, and tries to research how she came to be buried there.

She was from Baghdad and fell in love with an Armenian man, her parents had her shipped thousands of miles away to find a 'proper' groom , and while in India she died, so to hide the disgrace they pretended she never existed and literally airbrushed her out of the family history to the extent that her now 94 year-old brother never knew where she was buried or that she even had a proper grave until the reporter tracked him down.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
The Final member on hulu is pretty drat unnerving. A swedish guy has a penis museum and he has basically everything but a human penis. A local offers his but hes old and its shrinking, and american offers his but he wants it cut off now so he can visit the drat thing. He gives all kinds of crazy demands and excuses throughout the show and you can tell he is definetly not well.

He says: he broke it one time so it hurts to pee now

It gives women too much power over him and hes a sensitive guy.

And the one that probably closest to honest is that it will fufill his exhibitionist desires in what he thinks is healthy outlet.

And finally that he just wants the most famous penis in the world.

At one point the museum guy is like "ok dude send it dont send it just quit talking to me. this is your decision to make and when you hand over your junk thats my junk so think about that." The guys response is to send a ton of pics with his penis dressed up like an astronaut or Abraham lincoln. Then he gets an american flag tattoed on the head. They cant decide if its an outburts for attention or if he legitimately believes this will entice him into offering visitation rights and his elaborate display. The museums guy is pretty lol cause he basically say hes open to suggesrions but at the end of the day hes just gonna slap that dick in a jar like all the others.

Also after seeing that museum like the majority of penises on this planet are horrifying nightmare fuel.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
I don't really go for the True Crime type stuff but this one jumped out; Russian 'mastermind' behind 'online suicide cult' held by police

quote:

Ilya Sidorov, 26, is accused of encouraging youngsters to self-harm and kill themselves in a twisted game likened to the “Blue Whale challenge” that has been linked to more than 130 deaths.

Children who join the game are told to cut themselves, watch horror films, and go without sleep as they carry out a series of “tasks” apparently aimed at damaging their mental health.

On the 50th day of the “challenge” they are told to commit suicide.

Mr Sidorov is said to have recruited up to 32 schoolchildren to his group before his dramatic arrest in Moscow.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of other info. on it though. IIRC this sort of thing has come up before but not quite to this extent. And since I'd not heard of it Blue Whale (game)

quote:

The Blue Whale Game (Russian: Синий кит, Siniy kit) is an Internet urban legend[1] first mentioned in Russia in 2013. It is allegedly an existing game which consists of a series of tasks assigned to players by administrators during a 50-day period, with the final challenge requiring the player to commit suicide.[2] It was first run by teenagers as a joke, linked by them with real suicide cases, but became popular among teenagers in 2016 after a journalist with a loose understanding of Internet culture published an article which caused moral panic in Russian society and listed (questionably) real victims.[3] If not suicides, where the so-called "game" was reported as real in suggestive TV reports and newspaper articles, the news caused at least emulations and false alarms - as in Italy. Where the hoax has been debunked with timely explanations, there has been no harm - as in Bulgaria.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Just FYI online suicide cults are a Russian media obsession at the moment, much like sex games at underage parties were in the early 2000s in the US (rainbow game etc). Don't put too much stock into stories like that.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Alereon posted:

Just FYI online suicide cults are a Russian media obsession at the moment, much like sex games at underage parties were in the early 2000s in the US (rainbow game etc). Don't put too much stock into stories like that.

Let me dream

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

It is the new Jenkem huffing satanic panic

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Varkk posted:

It is the new Jenkem huffing satanic panic

What I love the best about it is that every time there is an article about /breathlessly The Blue Whale Challenge, they all use the same copy when writing about it. Nearly verbatim. So every time I read about it, it's like reading the same article again and again. They never actually bring up anyone hurt or killed although they cite "hundreds". Maybe its just that the articles are in the East Siberian Tattler and not translated? Who knows, but it sure smacks of terrific urban legend.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
You guys wanna do some jenkem or what.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Bogart posted:

You guys wanna do some jenkem or what.

Lemme get my sex bracelets first.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
https://www.propublica.org/article/allende-zetas-cartel-massacre-and-the-us-dea

gently caress the cartels.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I've read a ton of stories about people being wrongly convicted and have become a little jaded (which is a little unnerving itself), but this one was really unnerving.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/06/19/remembering-the-murder-you-didnt-commit

The psychiatrist, who was supposed to be helping these messed up, vulnerable people, was also a Deputy Sheriff, and basically talked them into remembering that they killed somebody and confessing to it. Not one, but SIX.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

This is still breaking right now, but it should be shared, not because of ghoulishness, but because of the horrendous disregard for tenant safety that lead to it.

ukle posted:

Holy gently caress -

Video taken a few hours ago, where you can clearly here many kids screaming to be rescued.

*** Warning ***

https://twitter.com/o_salha/status/874815154201952256

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Stephanie_Crowe

12 year old gets coerced by police into confessing to 11 year old sister with upright lies.

quote:

"On the day the body was discovered the police also interviewed Richard Raymond Tuite, a 28-year-old transient who had been seen in the Crowe's neighborhood on the night of the murder, knocking on doors and looking in windows, causing several neighbors to call police reporting a suspicious person. Tuite had a lengthy criminal record, habitually wandered the streets of Escondido, and had been diagnosed as schizophrenic. Police questioned Tuite, confiscated his clothing, and noticed scrapes on his body and a cut on his hand. However, they did not consider him a suspect, since they considered him incapable of murder and they had already focused on Michael Crowe as their prime suspect."

But a 12 year old is definitely capable of murder because he owned knives.

If i recall correctly there was an episode of dateline on the case where they showed parts of the interrogation and they actually made him believe that he killed her in some sort of dream state.

That Grenfell thing is horrifying :(

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

MightyJoe36 posted:

I've read a ton of stories about people being wrongly convicted and have become a little jaded (which is a little unnerving itself), but this one was really unnerving.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/06/19/remembering-the-murder-you-didnt-commit

The psychiatrist, who was supposed to be helping these messed up, vulnerable people, was also a Deputy Sheriff, and basically talked them into remembering that they killed somebody and confessing to it. Not one, but SIX.

I have a feeling I know exactly what Price did, and if it's correct, he should be jailed for life, and/or executed depending on your death penalty stance.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Abugadu posted:

I have a feeling I know exactly what Price did, and if it's correct, he should be jailed for life, and/or executed depending on your death penalty stance.

Agreed. Have they ever prosecuted the "professionals" who implanted the false memories in these kinds of cases? I can't recall ever hearing about any of the ones involved in the Satanic panic stuff suffering consequences either.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

MightyJoe36 posted:

Reminds me of the case of Thomas Quick, the most famous serial killer (not to be) here in Sweden, who confessed to killing 30+ people (and got convicted for 8 murders) but later withdrew all his confessions and is now a free man. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sture_Bergwall

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Abugadu posted:

I just don't understand how memory implantation is accomplished. I also don't understand why you would even decide to do that to another person. That's an extreme goal with extreme methods. Someone who comes up with that poo poo should've displayed some warning signs, I'd think.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Sarcopenia posted:

That Grenfell thing is horrifying :(

I'm thinking that maybe we should stop installing aluminum composite cladding on highrises.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPCL3sNVBcM&t=72s

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 14:59 on Jun 14, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Samovar posted:

This is still breaking right now, but it should be shared, not because of ghoulishness, but because of the horrendous disregard for tenant safety that lead to it.

I shouldn't have watched this first thing in the morning...

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Phanatic posted:

I'm thinking that maybe we should stop installing aluminum composite cladding on highrises.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPCL3sNVBcM&t=72s

Holy moly :stare:

Lmao, the youtube comments are full of 9/11 truthers.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Sarcopenia posted:

Holy moly :stare:

Lmao, the youtube comments are full of 9/11 truthers.

That's every YouTube video though

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

purple death ray posted:

That's every YouTube video though

True

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40237762

Dude unfortunately has the same taste in fashion as another man and it lands him in prison for 17 years.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Remember that American student that was sentenced 15 years of hard labor in a North Korea prison? He just got sent home due to being in a coma for the last 13 months. The N. Koreans are blaming it on a sleeping pill.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/14/us-student-in-coma-otto-warmbier-north-korea-arrives-home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Sarcopenia posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40237762

Dude unfortunately has the same taste in fashion as another man and it lands him in prison for 17 years.
Every time I see people bitch about how juries won't convict without evidence anymore because they've seen shows like CSI, I think "Good."