Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Peel posted:

Ippo thinking seriously about technique, coach is like 'no don't.'

More evidence that the coach is trying to murder ippo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Fairtalk: it's more 'don't just stand there boxing in your head when you have people here to practice for real against' and we see Ippo using what he was working on against Kamogawa. But the Martinez fight is still going to literally kill both of them.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Is reading a loving book gonna put more oxygen in your muscles? Didn't think so now go punch this log into a hill

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Listen, the brain is a muscle, and if Ippo covers himself in muscles then he will have more brains than anyone else! Now stop reading books and go smash your face against the wall!

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
"Guys... I think after watching film from the 1920s, I've mastered my ultimate skill..."

"Jab, Cross!"

"Oooooooohhhh!!"

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Coach viciously beats Ippo with a stick after he successfully dodges a punch during a sparring session

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

CharlestonJew posted:

Coach viciously beats Ippo with a stick after he successfully dodges a punch during a sparring session

Coach makes Ippo train with boxing gloves filled with bullet ants.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
*Ippo watches El Chavo del Ocho*

"N-narizasos en las manos???"

"Caicho! I have found a new technique!"

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm still waiting for him to add the Heartbreak Shot into his arsenal. I mean, Morikawa made a huge deal out of how Ippo was able to pull it off through sheer strength as opposed to Date's corkscrew punch, and yet there's been zero mention of it since... How long has it been since the Gedo fight now? Something like 400 chapters, and still no payoff on that thread? Sheesh.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 14, 2017

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Ippo cant remember how to BOX. Remembering a thing he did once is clearly more than his applesauced brain can handle.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'd be more impressed if he ever managed to kiss a girl than if he became world champion.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
new chapter

:ducksiren:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
loving LOL

I wish Ippo would retire and we could focus on Takamura coming to America and doing Japanese Mike Tyson pervert poo poo and fight

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
More animal boxers.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Jesus.

"Yell at me some more, please."
"Do you have any idea how hard it is for him to yell at you?"

This manga. At least :ducksiren: was cool.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

chapters 1177 and 1178 are out

Sandou is still great.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hajime no Ippo: 10% of the series dedicated to fights, 40% dedicated to dick jokes, 50% dedicated to onlookers wasting entire chapters talking about nothing

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Shinjobi posted:

Hajime no Ippo: 10% of the series dedicated to fights, 40% dedicated to dick jokes, 50% dedicated to onlookers wasting entire chapters talking about nothing

What's the percentage of the manga dedicated to connecting boxing attributes and skills with race and/or nationality/samurai spirit?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I know that in the manga, Black boxers are good because they have the super power of "As soon as they want to throw a punch, they do!", but what is the Mexican superpower? Was it the spicy food or some poo poo?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

ElGroucho posted:

I know that in the manga, Black boxers are good because they have the super power of "As soon as they want to throw a punch, they do!", but what is the Mexican superpower? Was it the spicy food or some poo poo?

I think the jab better or some poo poo. Who knows what crazy racist reason why.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
According to the manga black people have magical punch muscles, and Mexicans have an innate sense of rhythm.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Hello friends. I saw that there were three new chapters of Hajime no Ippo released.

I was worried that Ippo was going to struggle against the southpaw so I was very relieved when he decided to just stop thinking, charge in, and punch the other guy. That is the sort of decisive action it takes to win in boxing.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
When was the last time Ippo dominated a fight? Against that speedster who trained to take a punch to the stomach and then went down after taking a punch to the stomach?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The lovely OHKO fight, I think.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Is that the one where the guy spent the entire build-up poo poo-talking Ippo, but it turns out he was actually a massive Ippo fan who just wanted to motivate him to fight at his best?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Got it in one. Dude even had an unusable left first.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I don't think that really counts as a domination since that fight gave him the damage that launched the "Is Ippo broken?" storyline.

I think it really does come back to the Karasawa fight, since that was Ippo sealing away the Dempsey roll and just clowning on the poor guy.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
That one fight with the fisherman was dumb as hell.

"Let's see who is the dumbest boxer in the ring! Prepare to fight, dumb rear end in a top hat style!"

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

ElGroucho posted:

"Let's see who is the dumbest boxer in the ring! Prepare to fight, dumb rear end in a top hat style!"

just lol if you aren't a MAN OF THE SEA.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

ElGroucho posted:

I mean, this is basically Ippo in a sentance.

At this point, I figure Morikawa can't remember his own manga's backstory, as many drat chapters as it is. I just remembered that Ippo himself went southpaw for a short bit early in his rookie career, to protect a cut over his left eye, but I will be surprised if Morikawa makes a callback at all.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ippo is now like Gran Torino from MHA and is moving by shooting oxygen out of his feet.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I'll take this any day over the usual Ippo poo poo.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

pnumoman posted:

I'll take this any day over the usual Ippo poo poo.

Same. All in all it was a pretty good fight again. Finally.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chapter 1182 and 1183 are out.

I really like Yagi's dodge of the coach. Nice little detail.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Flashes of why I fell in love with HnI in the first place.

Jesus, I know we joke about it all the time, but I really do feel like a battered wife that keeps going back. Another bout like this and I'll forget all about the bad times...again.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
This is.. the new dempsey!

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Lamebot posted:

This is.. the new dempsey!

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014