Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
When heavensward launched they added gear to the 2.x questlines so you could seemlessly move into 3.0 content. I imagine they'll do the same for 3.x as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Seems like a good way to make fates worth doing if the proc rate is high enough.

vOv posted:

The problem I have is the randomness; if it was guaranteed then it'd be fine.

Yeah... why give a random chance for bonus XP rather than just increase FATE XP by a small % across the board?

More RNG is bad.

Gumball Gumption posted:

It needs some randomness to extend out how long and often people are doing fates. If it is guaranteed then you would have too many people doing one Fate and then running off and doing other things, even if Fates are the best source of xp with the change. Some randomness helps ensure that people will be around to do fates.

So don't give the whole bonus for doing one fate, make it so each fate gives you a small bit more and if you do several it adds up :v:

This is how math and RPG game design works. :eng101:

Randomness is the opposite. Randomness makes you think "well, there's a chance I could grind 20 FATEs and not get the bonus if I'm unlucky, so why bother?"

Ignimbrite posted:

I main DRG but I've been levelling my warrior in prep for SB. I keep thinking that I'm missing something because I don't have any more buttons to hit. I desire more OGCDs.

This is why I'm dropping tanking and going back to damage for SB.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 11, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

Say hello to DGKK's newest giraffe lady.

is that monk gear? it looks p. good on an elf lady

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Because I like bigger numbers happening every so often more

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Leofish posted:

The reason you need to get your mana up is that when you're over 30/30, your melee skills become "enchanted" and deal more damage, but they also cost mana to use, so you need to have enough to make sure all three are enchanted before you cast your closer spell.

I believe they also change from physical damage to unaspected magic damage. Which means the magic damage buff would work on it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

Yep! AF2 top and hat, AF1 boots, Weeping City gloves and Arachne trousers.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah... why give a random chance for bonus XP rather than just increase FATE XP by a small % across the board?

More RNG is bad.

Because if they do that how can you tell?

Also that'd only give you some fate experience. The idea of doing it this way is to give people a reason to do fates, and more than one every hour, and then go back to questing, so fates would actually be a thing you jumped in and out of doing instead of only questing and only doing a fate grind. With your way, people would just fate grind.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
A change that makes FATEs marginally more exciting while being mathematically mostly equivalent to changing their exp rewards is alright in my book

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Because if they do that how can you tell?

Also that'd only give you some fate experience. The idea of doing it this way is to give people a reason to do fates, and more than one every hour, and then go back to questing, so fates would actually be a thing you jumped in and out of doing instead of only questing and only doing a fate grind. With your way, people would just fate grind.

PATCH NOTES:

Fate XP increased across the board

:confused:

People don't quest grind so I don't know what you're on about. People do POTD and Dungeons. We used to do FATEs but not really anymore, and we should buff FATE XP to make them viable again so people don't just grind POTD and hate themselves during it.

I guess you mean in SB, but we'll be doing MSQ stuff there in between FATEs and dungeons... I dunno.

cheetah7071 posted:

A change that makes FATEs marginally more exciting while being mathematically mostly equivalent to changing their exp rewards is alright in my book

The *MOSTLY* is the problem.

At the very very least the RNG needs to have obvious limits. Some guy is gonna grind 5 FATEs and get lucky and get 5 bonuses in a row, while somebody else does 30 of them and gets 0 bonuses.

Result: Everybody goes back to POTD which is more reliable.

If you're going to do it RNG, it needs to say "every 3 FATEs you're guaranteed to get the bonus" or something similar. At which point, why make it RNG at all?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 11, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

Yep! AF2 top and hat, AF1 boots, Weeping City gloves and Arachne trousers.

neat

if only i found monks enjoyable...

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
do PC and mac share the same client/license? like if i hae it on my PC and download it for my mac am i good to go

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Leofish posted:

A sign of things to come.

jesus christ

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I know Stormblood includes Heavensward but doesn't unlock HW until Stormblood releases. Does that mean Early Access, or the full release date? (This is probably a stupid question, but when I googled whether HW comes with SB before I bought SB, someone on Reddit said something about it not being in the early access release for some reason. I have no idea, that's probably wrong, but hey.)

I haven't bought Heavensward but I do have Early Access for Stormblood and it'd be pretty silly if I couldn't actually level RDM for the whole weekend because I only have ARR and Stormblood content available and not HW (until the Tuesday after).

Harrow fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 11, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

do PC and mac share the same client/license? like if i hae it on my PC and download it for my mac am i good to go

There's a separate entry on the mogstation for PC, Mac and PS4 I think, so I wouldn't assume so. But I guess go double check...

poo poo, even Steam and non-Steam PC are separate client/license/expansions everything. Its kinda hosed up :(

E: You can log on the same account and characters but you have to buy a separate license I believe

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Brother Entropy posted:

The chest is one of the best pieces of class gear, but the rest of the set is dire. Yoshi please give us more outfits with Tattoos. Or just tattoo options in general.

Rasheek Durga
Vice-Captain of the Eorzean High Dance Squad
/yrpa /rrpa /brpb /rrpb /brpb /rrpa /yrpa /brpa /yrpa

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Harrow posted:

I know Stormblood includes Heavensward but doesn't unlock HW until Stormblood releases. Does that mean Early Access, or the full release date? (This is probably a stupid question, but when I googled whether HW comes with SB before I bought SB, someone on Reddit said something about it not being in the early access release for some reason. I have no idea, that's probably wrong, but hey.)

I haven't bought Heavensward but I do have Early Access for Stormblood and it'd be pretty silly if I couldn't actually level RDM for the whole weekend because I only have ARR and Stormblood content available and not HW (until the Tuesday after).

You'll be able to access hw during early access[1], what people probably meant there is that hw is not a part of pre-order bonuses (it was one of the answers about pre-orders in the official forum thread), as in pre-ordering doesn't grant you access to hw immediately. But you'll have it in early access.

Shy fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 11, 2017

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think people are overstating how much everyone avoids RNG. Look at all the people throwing money away on coin slots and poo poo, or spending hundreds of dollars on game chests. I think it's probably more accurate to say RNG can make some people angry and burned out in the long run, but for a lot of others it's a hook that keeps them coming back because of the possibility of getting the big win.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

At the very very least the RNG needs to have obvious limits. Some guy is gonna grind 5 FATEs and get lucky and get 5 bonuses in a row, while somebody else does 30 of them and gets 0 bonuses.

If you're going to do it RNG, it needs to say "every 3 FATEs you're guaranteed to get the bonus" or something similar. At which point, why make it RNG at all?

If people are going to PotD grind, they're going to PotD grind. This change is not for them.

The change is for people wandering around the overworld for whatever reason (gathering, story quests, dailies, what have you) and they see a FATE close by. A lot of the time, they'll run right by it because the hassle of having to sync down and do the FATE outweighs the EXP reward for it. This probably wouldn't change even if you increased the EXP reward to be mathematically similar to the RNG EXP bonus. This is also made worse because players are less likely to participate in FATEs if nobody else is participating.

The RNG bonus attempts to change that - now, there is an incentive to participate in a FATE, because there's a possibility that your EXP will get boosted for a whole hour. I don't know if the EXP bonus will work like rested EXP bonus in terms of incoming EXP it affects, but that's a big change. If you're running by and you see a FATE, why not try for the bonus? This gets more people doing random FATEs and not just FATEs in certain FATE farming areas.

It's pretty much an attempt to appeal to player psychology. A random chance of a bonus buff is much more of an incentive than just upping FATE EXP across the board, even if the numbers turn out the same.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Zaphod42 posted:

PATCH NOTES:

Fate XP increased across the board

:confused:

People don't quest grind so I don't know what you're on about. People do POTD and Dungeons. We used to do FATEs but not really anymore, and we should buff FATE XP to make them viable again so people don't just grind POTD and hate themselves during it.

I guess you mean in SB, but we'll be doing MSQ stuff there in between FATEs and dungeons... I dunno.

Pierced by your rapier wit. :rolleyes:

You have this weird hate boner for RNG when RNG makes a lot of aspects of every game that you like better. River of Blood procs, everything involving the gold saucer, loot drops and rolls, and stats like crit or variable weapon damage are all RNG, so throwing your hands up and ranting about how much RNG will ruin everything is kind of dumb. I can make up numbers about how many times you have to do something to get a result from it, too, but that's not a compelling argument for why it's terrible. It'd just be a compelling argument for me being an idiot.

Also, everyone does a quest grind. It's what you do on your main class to level it. I know I'm loving sick of POTD already after diving down to floor 200 and all the leveling I did in it, so even a fate grind or grinding fates for the buff while in a queue for a dungeon (because I can do that with my chocobo out now) would be preferable, even if it was HW content, to going back to potd.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

You have this weird hate boner for RNG when RNG makes a lot of aspects of every game that you like better. River of Blood procs, everything involving the gold saucer, loot drops and rolls, and stats like crit or variable weapon damage are all RNG, so throwing your hands up and ranting about how much RNG will ruin everything is kind of dumb. I can make up numbers about how many times you have to do something to get a result from it, too, but that's not a compelling argument for why it's terrible. It'd just be a compelling argument for me being an idiot.

Yeah, I loved grinding out FATE crystals for my anima weapon. So much more fun than 'just get 50 singing clusters and you're done'.

e: Also people here complain about losing out on Alex normal rolls all the time especially when comparing it to the savage system where even if you lose, you're still guaranteed some kind of 'progress' with the pages.

vOv fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 11, 2017

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

I'm finally about to finish the patch 2.55 stuff and enter Heavensward content. Is there ever a point where I would get locked out of any sidequests, especially stuff that unlocks content, if I progress with the MSQ? I know that there's some NPCs that will no longer be around in the future and don't want to miss out on anything.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

ihatepants posted:

I'm finally about to finish the patch 2.55 stuff and enter Heavensward content. Is there ever a point where I would get locked out of any sidequests, especially stuff that unlocks content, if I progress with the MSQ? I know that there's some NPCs that will no longer be around in the future and don't want to miss out on anything.

Nothing critical. The few cases of temporal dissonance are handwaved iirc.

vannevar
Jan 27, 2013

The war goes on.

Zaphod42 posted:

There's a separate entry on the mogstation for PC, Mac and PS4 I think, so I wouldn't assume so. But I guess go double check...

poo poo, even Steam and non-Steam PC are separate client/license/expansions everything. Its kinda hosed up :(

E: You can log on the same account and characters but you have to buy a separate license I believe

As someone who (used to) dual-boot between Mac and PC, you have to repurchase the game, including expansions, for each platform, but your characters remain the same.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Leofish posted:

A sign of things to come.

i've seen this reposted a lot, what's the origianl? i'm guessing it's a bad political cartoon.

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008
Kelly is cool and good, actually.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Thumbtacks posted:

i've seen this reposted a lot, what's the origianl? i'm guessing it's a bad political cartoon.

kelly is a modern genius

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Thumbtacks posted:

I don't know the specific cartoon but it's The Onion's series of satirical political cartoons.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I stand corrected

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Thumbtacks posted:

The original is probably my all-time favourite Kelly cartoon.

To me, it just says so much about the character of the cartoonist. Kelly isn't for everyone, but like everything The Onion does, it's satire and I think Kelly is probably among the cleverest work they do.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Leofish posted:

The original is probably my all-time favourite Kelly cartoon.

To me, it just says so much about the character of the cartoonist. Kelly isn't for everyone, but like everything The Onion does, it's satire and I think Kelly is probably among the cleverest work they do.

I love Kelly cartoons. They consistently get a little smile out of me. Kelly himself is such a vivid character once you read a few of the comics and notice how much they reflect his own struggles, wishes, and prejudices, and at this point Kelly as a character is maybe my favorite part of the comics.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ibblebibble posted:

Say hello to DGKK's newest giraffe lady.

A fine giraffe :golfclap:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

RNG is a bunch of butt. Like sure, procs and crits are fun, but everything else you listed would be an unmitigated disaster to me if there weren't enough ways to mitigate RNG. In particular, one of the big reasons I play this and not WoW is that I can make steady, constant character progression through tomestones and end up with a gear set that is reasonably comparable to bis. Meanwhile the content that is most prone to RNG (potd, aquapolis, diadem) are my least favorite things in this game. Although in fairness to RNG, it is maybe 2nd or 3rd on the list of reasons those places are hosed up.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

whats the easiest way to get myself up to ilvl 180? Ive done literally nothing since beating HW MSQ so I dunno if i should just be doing roulettes or unlocking some of the stuff that came out in the last two years first.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Zaggitz posted:

whats the easiest way to get myself up to ilvl 180? Ive done literally nothing since beating HW MSQ so I dunno if i should just be doing roulettes or unlocking some of the stuff that came out in the last two years first.

If you're on Excalibur - post in the gearup thread at catgirl.bargains. Include your level 60 job.

If you wanna gear up yourself: hunts and 24 person raids.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
RNG is fine when there's a certain baseline of damage/progress and a chance of getting extra, like crits or bonuses for umbrite. It's when there's no guarantee and you have a chance of wasting half an hour with nothing to show for it that people get annoyed at it.

Getting a bonus XP buff from FATEs is theoretically the former, but if there's little point to doing FATEs other than the buff it'd essentially be the latter.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Failboattootoot posted:

RNG is a bunch of butt. Like sure, procs and crits are fun, but everything else you listed would be an unmitigated disaster to me if there weren't enough ways to mitigate RNG. In particular, one of the big reasons I play this and not WoW is that I can make steady, constant character progression through tomestones and end up with a gear set that is reasonably comparable to bis. Meanwhile the content that is most prone to RNG (potd, aquapolis, diadem) are my least favorite things in this game. Although in fairness to RNG, it is maybe 2nd or 3rd on the list of reasons those places are hosed up.

It's an RNG xp boost guy. XP is not really a precious resource in this game.

Who cares :effort:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It also might not be real because that patch notes leak kinda looks like BS.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Gumball Gumption posted:

It also might not be real because that patch notes leak kinda looks like BS.

Well yeah, I think it's pretty obviously not real.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

vOv posted:

Well yeah, I think it's pretty obviously not real.

just like the discord paste with whm lilies, right? ha ha sure glad that was completely fake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
It's not real until it is. We'll find out Friday!

• Locked thread