Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Even ignoring "Armor. Useful? Yes/No" I admit I don't mind not having to upgrade it.

Not having to upgrade four separate items per outfit means I can play dressup with less grinding, and spread more impulse upgrades around on a grab bag of weapons and shields I just think are cool.

CJacobs posted:

See The Wither 3, where I spent the first like third of the game wearing several pairs of stupidest looking ugliest oven mitts because I wasn't a high enough level to wear the actual witcher armor that was worth a drat and it was the best I had.
But yeah, Cheap tier gating MMO style "You aren't a high enough level to use items you have earned. Please continue to use your deliberately sub par equipment until your numbers go up" meanwhile, really has no place in primarily single player games.

Probably not quite what was being suggested though. That sort of thing is asinine, while "And THIS pair of ninja pants raises your Dexterity, while wearing the barbarian outfit raises your strength" or whatever at least has some possibilities. Even if I personally would not be fond of it here.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dark Souls 2 has quite a few armor pieces that do that, mostly headgear.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah DS2 is a good example of why you shouldn't do that. It has tons of awesome fashion pieces but so many players used gear that looked awful together because of the bonuses they gave. Pretty much every mage wore that ugly rear end dishrag hood and I HATED IT :byodood:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I'm sorry but if you don't think the moon butterfly set was the dopest poo poo I'm afraid you can't hang out here anymore.

I liked dark souls 2'd 'armor does dope poo poo' approach and I think making it 'kinda cosmetic but also you need to level up some dumbass stat to use any of it' is a disservice and incentivizes bland lovely armor. The only downer was of course not all pieces were created equal and the stupid ugly hexer hood was the best helmet for casters (as opposed to the stupid ugly crown of dusk)

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 11, 2017

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah and now if you're a mage in ds3 you have to wear the dusk crown and it looks like shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

at least the dishrag legit looked good as part of some outfits

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Or if you knew anything about anything, you simply bound the special effect you wanted to your desired armor because I don't think From ever noticed edits like that in DS2.

I think I have somewhere in the vicinity of 12 fun effects like the Blue Sentinel Ring bound to my head in that one.

DS1 and 3 had less obtuse special effects, but less slots to stick them in.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 11, 2017

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Tallgeese posted:

Or if you knew anything about anything, you simply bound the special effect you wanted to your desired armor because I don't think From ever noticed edits like that in DS2.

I think I have somewhere in the vicinity of 12 fun effects like the Blue Sentinel Ring bound to my head in that one.

:smug: Hmm yes, the but you see as a Cheat Engine Master like myself the only effect I need bound to my head is the scent of my own farts.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

IronicDongz posted:

I have never experienced or seen grapples as bad as ds2 grapples in any other souls game

also see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY_cVd9Ow-4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF7crDxHFe0&t=657s
just a few examples I grabbed just now. there's a lot more obviously

I am one of the people who still thinks ds2 is a good game despite this(and adp, and soul memory) so I'd prefer if we could stop pretending that this isn't a problem that it has.

Dark Souls 2 is still the only game where I can pop it on, no matter how much time has passed, and still throw out parries no problem as if it were yesterday.

Going from being able to use my left hand as my main hand the entire game back to boring 'ol right hand-only moveset was lame and made the PVP a bit less. Hand Axe + Bastard Sword was drat good in 2 and could hit a lot of things from a lot of angles :v:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah DS2 is a good example of why you shouldn't do that. It has tons of awesome fashion pieces but so many players used gear that looked awful together because of the bonuses they gave. Pretty much every mage wore that ugly rear end dishrag hood and I HATED IT :byodood:

Make sure to wear the wench skirt for the bonus endurance too

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah :argh:

Reminds me of ol' vanilla World of Warcraft. Everyone looked the same because everyone was using whatever was "best in slot". It's super lame and fashion is way more important!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Co-opping 2 with a friend and god drat I forgot how annoying the second giant dude is on the run up to ancient dragon (spinny made guy)

Finally did the assassination quest line! I always just assumed the dude you kill was Darkdiver man but he's actually Hexer...somebody

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Your Computer posted:

Yeah :argh:

Reminds me of ol' vanilla World of Warcraft. Everyone looked the same because everyone was using whatever was "best in slot". It's super lame and fashion is way more important!

DS2 was nowhere near as bad as DS1 at that though.

Hollow Soldier Waistcloth was basically it for leg armor due to the poise/weight ratio.

Frankly the guy who said poise should be based on total equip weight is probably right, to prevent arbitrary stat bullshit.

That or just do cosmetic slots like sane people, because how you react to hits is purely determined by your client anyhow, so the actual stats on it are irrelevant. As are the people who actually memorized poise breakpoints.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 11, 2017

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Tallgeese posted:

DS2 was nowhere near as bad as DS1 at that though.

Hollow Soldier Waistcloth was basically it for leg armor due to the poise/weight ratio.

Frankly the guy who said poise should be based on total equip weight is probably right, to prevent arbitrary stat bullshit.

That or just do cosmetic slots like sane people, because how you react to hits is purely determined by your client anyhow, so the actual stats on it are irrelevant. As are the people who actually memorized poise breakpoints.

my only request is that you make another post that isn't about using Cheat Engine in a Dark Souls game

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Weeping Wound posted:

my only request is that you make another post that isn't about using Cheat Engine in a Dark Souls game

Done.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 11, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

CJacobs posted:

See The Wither 3, where I spent the first like third of the game wearing several pairs of stupidest looking ugliest oven mitts because I wasn't a high enough level to wear the actual witcher armor that was worth a drat and it was the best I had.

Transmogrification or cosmetic equipment slots would fix this right up.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Motherfucker posted:

:smug: Hmm yes, the but you see as a Cheat Engine Master like myself the only effect I need bound to my head is the scent of my own farts.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
is it rare to be summoned as a spear of the church? i'm level 111

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Internet Kraken posted:

This is also why the dusk crown is awful and should not exist.

It's so, so ugly.

Jose posted:

is it rare to be summoned as a spear of the church? i'm level 111
yeah

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Motherfucker posted:

Yeah I don't think "well it's not a problem if you just cheat :smug:" is a particularly valid point, ever

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
So I'm level 29 watchdog invasions. .

How high does a summon have to be to give 50K souls when I kill him :stare:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The problem with fashion souls is that everything is a different shade of bronze brass steel whatever only the black poo poo matches

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Spend Titanite Shards to dye your armour

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

IronicDongz posted:

This is also why the dusk crown is awful and should not exist.

It's so, so ugly.
yeah

They should put in some random NPC that will transform an item to be cosmetically identical to another item, while changing none of its stats or abilities.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The Vosgian Beast posted:

They should put in some random NPC that will transform an item to be cosmetically identical to another item, while changing none of its stats or abilities.

That would be overly complex. Cosmetic slots solve most fashion souls problems if you're unwilling to CE.

This all said, they were much closer to being able to do this in DS2; a piece of gear's appearance was separated from its stats, which is why I was able to occasionally beat people over the head with a debug collision/shader testing object I liked to call The Fridge. Yet another reason why the B in B-Team stands for Better!

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 11, 2017

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
IF armor is important to PvP, knowing how a person looks can change your approach to fighting them significantly at a medium-high level. I think that mechanic would probably work better if the game was single player only.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The only stat on armor that was ever important to PVP was poise and that is basically it.

The only time this wasn't true was with Havel monsters back in DS2.

Other than that, it's special effects bound to a particular armor piece, which leads us back to the original problem of there being objectively best-in-slot items.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Anyone on PS4 available for some char muling?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Armor adds up enough in ds3. Decked out in the heavy poo poo you'll notice the extra hit(s) you can take

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

hanales posted:

Anyone on PS4 available for some char muling?
I'm on PS4 and am not doing anything today so I'm available.

PSN is Steve_Jorbs

SeXTcube fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 11, 2017

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Steve Jorbs posted:

I'm on PS4 and am not doing anything today so I'm available.

PSN is Steve_Jorbs

Thanks for the assist brother!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The problem with fashion souls is that everything is a different shade of bronze brass steel whatever only the black poo poo matches

You take that back about the heralds cape! :argh: - Oh wait I've spent five minutes in a level, it's black now.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Tallgeese posted:

That would be overly complex. Cosmetic slots solve most fashion souls problems if you're unwilling to CE.

This all said, they were much closer to being able to do this in DS2; a piece of gear's appearance was separated from its stats, which is why I was able to occasionally beat people over the head with a debug collision/shader testing object I liked to call The Fridge. Yet another reason why the B in B-Team stands for Better!

You keep posting about how you own people in PVP with Cheat Engine hacks and exploits and it's really bad

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Section Z posted:

You take that back about the heralds cape! :argh: - Oh wait I've spent five minutes in a level, it's black now.

Your character getting covered in ash looks so ugly and stupid. Why yes, I love running around in blackface for the entire game, thanks.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Is it just my imagination or have all the patches ramped up the difficulty appreciably? I got the game on launch day and it didn't seem unnecessarily difficult. Now it's just like EVERYTHING can hit ten times in a row with little or no windup or recovery. Everything is just rolling me mercilessly and it's like :psyduck:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

CJacobs posted:

Your character getting covered in ash looks so ugly and stupid. Why yes, I love running around in blackface for the entire game, thanks.

I didn't want to bring that up, but yeah :sigh:

Panty Saluter posted:

Is it just my imagination or have all the patches ramped up the difficulty appreciably? I got the game on launch day and it didn't seem unnecessarily difficult. Now it's just like EVERYTHING can hit ten times in a row with little or no windup or recovery. Everything is just rolling me mercilessly and it's like :psyduck:
Might be a combination of both over time. My casual rear end played at launch mostly, and I'm now just getting back into it. While my brain is convinced certain things were subtley easier, it's also noticing "See how much faster you murder lothric knights now?" and moving on to "See how much faster you are killing cathedral knights between them carving off 1/4 of your health on a botch?"

Though a large part of that is my love of Stance moves. My executioner's sword is going back into storage until it's time to fight skeletons again. Because using 100-90% of my stamina for a stomp that may usually knock a lothric knight on their rear end, but is too slow to guard break Cathedral knights on demand, or if it does I'm out of stamina for a riposte... Vs "I can guard break into a riposte on demand with everything from a flamberge to a broken sword". My personal ease of use for chumping shielded enemies wins in the end, as amazing as it feels when I put it's stomp swing to proper effect.

Either way, attack spam is for better or worse a large part of DS3. But it at least feels more managable to dodge around between emergency blocks and looking for where to slip in an attack or even backstab. Even if people argue "That's just how the animation works! It's just as, if not MORE fair actually!" for DS2, it doesn't give the impression most of your enemies are on a fast moving turntable here. I'm far more willing to have a stand up fight against a bunch of swole enemies just from how it feels, however the underlying mechanics shake out.

What type of weapons do you prefer? I personally lose my edge in timing if I go for the beefy stuff like Ultra swords or Greathammers, but I can beat a lothric knight to the flinch inducing punch with a greastsword heavy swing, or land a charged up greatsword attack on a cathedral knight or even the Nameless King before dodging at the last second... Which is a shame, because pancaking a silver knight is goddamned hilarious.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 12, 2017

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I thought the dark stuff was meant to be blood but they kind of made it too dark?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I thought the dark things in this game were the souls.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
your character can get blood and ash on them. they only look a bit different though and after rolling around a bit you just look all smudgy

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

The ash is weird and if you're hollowed it makes for the most awful green. Bloodbornes blood was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hanales posted:

So I'm level 29 watchdog invasions. .

How high does a summon have to be to give 50K souls when I kill him :stare:

As a level 25 watchdog I got 650,000 souls for kicking someone down by the ladder.

I powerlevelled to 53 immediately and couldn't find anyone to summon until Irithyll or so.