Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

KKKLIP ART posted:

If it buries Ole Miss, its cool by me.

Are there ever any actual consequences for schools and coaches any more? It seems like the NCAA exists only to gently caress athletes who wash their cars with "university water" or eat too much pasta at a graduation banquet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

PostNouveau posted:

Are there ever any actual consequences for schools and coaches any more? It seems like the NCAA exists only to gently caress athletes who wash their cars with "university water" or eat too much pasta at a graduation banquet.

A basketball coach (Donnie Tyndall) got a 10 year show-cause last year; also Chip Kelly got an 18 month one but it didn't really matter cause he was loving off to the Eagles anyway. Oregon had to eat some scholarship reductions and other penalties for that too.

Personally I think we tend to notice the player stuff more because it's obviously unjust to gently caress with an unpaid player's career over an extra sandwich at the postgame table vs some million dollar coach getting busted for too many phone calls or whatever.

e: like for example, the Bill Snyder thing blew up because it was obviously unfair, because unless he relented that player was stuck (and he hosed him over by revealing the drug tests). On the other hand if at the end of his contract Snyder decides to go to Kansas and build a program just to gently caress with Kansas State, there's nothing KState can do about it.

fast cars loose anus fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 10, 2017

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

PostNouveau posted:

Hi, USC fan here, we're only starting to get back to normal depth after all of the sanctions

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Glumslinger posted:

Hi, USC fan here, we're only starting to get back to normal depth after all of the sanctions

Yeah you guys have really suffered the last few years.

Oh god, we only got 10 wins half the time since Carroll left. The horror, the horror

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Texas is back!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

blugu64 posted:

Texas is back!

Goddamn right you see how we beat Top 10 Notre Dame?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

PostNouveau posted:

Goddamn right you see how we beat Top 10 Notre Dame?

Hell yeah, let me paint a mental picture. Late 2017, Texas wins the big 12 championship. January 2018 National championship. February, Longhorns go 56-0 against the Patriots in Super Bowl LII. March, world peace, and global hunger solved. :woop::woop::woop:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

blugu64 posted:

Hell yeah, let me paint a mental picture. Late 2017, Texas wins the big 12 championship. January 2018 National championship. February, Longhorns go 56-0 against the Patriots in Super Bowl LII. March, world peace, and global hunger solved. :woop::woop::woop:

How are they going to do that with a coach that finished 6th in the American after bringing back a roster better than the rest of the conference?

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

plz refrain from doxxing me, ty

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

lamentable dustman posted:

plz refrain from doxxing me, ty

I'm the kid in the crazy-hair visor.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Scarf posted:

I'm the kid in the crazy-hair visor.

Believable

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Spacebump posted:

How are they going to do that with a coach that finished 6th in the American after bringing back a roster better than the rest of the conference?

They'll do it because Texas Is Back!

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/873224356431667201

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
UCF's kicker was given an ultimatum to either close his Youtube channel or lose his scholarship, cause college athletes can't profit from their likeness.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/ucf-kicker-donald-de-la-haye/

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Pakled posted:

UCF's kicker was given an ultimatum to either close his Youtube channel or lose his scholarship, cause college athletes can't profit from their likeness.

Can we get an emote like :ccp: only :ncaa:?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I hope this guy becomes the face of the "gently caress you NCAA" movement.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Hmm.. I am in favor of everyone being forced to close their Youtube channel, but not for this reason

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Regardless of how little it is (we're talking probably a few thousand for all the views on his channel) that money should still be his.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jun 12, 2017

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pakled posted:

drat, I thought they were allowed to get jobs as long as they were paid normal wage, not a hyperinflated wage by some booster.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

PostNouveau posted:

drat, I thought they were allowed to get jobs as long as they were paid normal wage, not a hyperinflated wage by some booster.

I mean the money he makes off them is very small. It's hard to pinpoint the ad revenue of a partner these days but you could make a safe guess of about $5/1000 views. His best video is a touch over 300k views so his gross revenue on that was $1500. Then Youtube takes nearly half and Uncle Sam wants his piece of the rest and he probably made about $500 on that video (again, his most popular) and that's not factoring in filming or editing. He posts erratically and his regular numbers are pretty low. 3 of his top 6 videos are months old and all maintained average viewership relative to his sub count, which is usually 15-20% for most Youtubers, but they all spiked in viewership in late May which means someone probably found one and posted it on a big enough placed to bring in a couple hundred thousand views which means that outside of a bump he may receive now for the issue being talked about he'll probably stagnate and go back to making maybe a couple hundred bucks on a video.

Point being, he's not even making minimum wage for these videos across the months. He'd literally make more pulling like 20 hours a week washing cars at a dealership for 9 bucks an hour.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I don't really mean the amount that he makes.

It should be fine as long as he's not getting special treatment and getting paid as a standard YouTuber. Even if he were producing mega-hit videos and getting serious bank, as long as he's getting whatever standard is ($5 per 1,000 views or whatever).

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The issue isn't what he makes, but how. He's selling his likeness on youtube and the only people allowed to profit from that is the NCAA.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Mr. Nice! posted:

The issue isn't what he makes, but how. He's selling his likeness on youtube and the only people allowed to profit from that is the NCAA.

why do we support this horrible organization

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Ehud posted:

why do we support this horrible organization

we don't but i'm willing to if it gets me the videogame back

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

YouTube is literallyall about using yourself to sell the channelbutbthe NCAA can gently caress right off.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
This is kind of like the Jeremy Bloom thing again, except the Jeremy Bloom thing was a lot worse.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
How long until the NCAA demands all the money he's made and then gives him a suspension

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/874256560440057856

Ole miss is going to sink everyone in the SEC

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

gently caress yes give me chaosssss :frogc00l:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Lol, no.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Leo Lewis: "I told Nick Saban he wasn't under investigation"

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
As someone who grew up in Mississippi, I'm all for sinking the whole state into the poo poo water of the Gulf of Mexico :getin:

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Lol if Ole Miss thinks involving other teams is going to do anything but get them to quickly self report some small poo poo and then dump everything they know about Ole Miss into the NCAA's lap

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I find it incredibly hilarious that an Ole Miss gear store is suing to clear their reputation and might tank Ole Miss on the way

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://mobile.twitter.com/SportsChannel8/status/874346625870831616

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

those two players are both on the panthers now

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

:stare:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
When you're nat'l champs, they let you do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Scarf posted:

When you're nat'l champs, they let you do it.

:chloe:

• Locked thread