Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
I managed to slide my way to a 9.53 on the daily. I still struggle with Wales in Dirt 4, but the fact that no one has memorized stages helps keep the poor condition dailys fun for me. It was demoralizing in DR when the top guys would do the same time at night as in day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

Humbug posted:

I managed to slide my way to a 9.53 on the daily. I still struggle with Wales in Dirt 4, but the fact that no one has memorized stages helps keep the poor condition dailys fun for me. It was demoralizing in DR when the top guys would do the same time at night as in day.

What's your approach to times like this? I couldn't see barely 10 feet in front of me with the rain, were you going off of just knowledge of how the corners tend to be on Wales corresponding with the numbered turns?

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

quaunaut posted:

What's your approach to times like this? I couldn't see barely 10 feet in front of me with the rain, were you going off of just knowledge of how the corners tend to be on Wales corresponding with the numbered turns?

I try to establish a gear for each corner call out at shakedown. The daily isn't the best example since the E30 has stupid stock gearing. Open hairpin to 2s was 3d gear at various rpms. 3s was 3d or 4th gear depending on visibility and 4s and up was in 4th. Deduct one gear for over crest. Once you find a decent setup like that, stick to it rigorously. A bit of lost mid corner speed doesn't actually cost that much time.

Also try to have the car squared up at the call for the next corner, even if that means you loose a bit of exit speed. Sliding and processing calls at the same time is hard.

Other than that, just practice. My memory is terrible so I relied heavily on notes in DR even if I had driven the stages a lot of times.

[Edit] I try to emulate Porkhammers smooth style, and I picked up some speed after watching him drive in DR. Might work for you too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss1sowqFRHU

Humbug fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 11, 2017

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I was very disappointed to find that my Fanatic Porsche Turbo S wheel is not supported in Dirt 4 after I purchased it. I had just assumed it would be since it is supported in Dirt Rally. The game isn't worth playing to me without wheel support. Any idea if they are working to add all the wheels to the PS4 version? Surely it's possible, since it works in Dirt Rally and Project Cars.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

After putting 10 hours in I am really happy with this game. The team building and branding stuff was actually kinda fun, to my surprise. The random mechanical failures are great - my brakes started grinding and being uneven for a bit. Bashing the car around a bit seemed to fix it. Damage should affect the cars performance more than it does. I messed around a bit, did some huge crashes, and was still able to control things very easily.

The new physics is great, cars definitely feel weightier, and seem to reward smooth, flowing driving greatly. I also love that I wont get high-centered getting back onto the road after a crash. This happened ALL THE TIME to me in DR, and was utterly infuriating.

The random stage generator is great - you can recognise individual pieces pretty easily, but I dont think this is a huge downside, since as mentioned you really need to flow from one corner to the next, so having the order of them mixed up makes it pretty much impossible to "learn" or predict a corner with any great accuracy since the next one is probably going to be different.

I second the calls being a bit unreliable. Much of the time they just came way, way too late, especially after long straight sections - I've gotten into the habit of slowing before any crest when I'm in 5th or 6th.

Tuning is great and seems to make a much bigger difference to the cars handling. Just messing with brake bias and diff settings was enough to bring most cars into line. Softening up the dampers helped as well, particularly in wales.

Oh and it seems you have to be really conscious of road camber - riding the inside line gives you *way* more grip, and getting stuck on the outside line will either force me to drop off heaps of speed, or I end up over an embankment. This was true in DR as well, but seems to make much more of a difference in D4.

10/10 would crash again.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Getting real tired of the baseline tunes in this game. Some cars aren't too far off and a little diff tweaking goes a long way. Other cars, like the integrale on wales in the rain is so unresponsive its infuriating and I don't know enough about tuning to do anything with it.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jun 12, 2017

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I really need to look into tuning. My car knowledge is very limited so I feel like I'd just make the car worse than it is by default!

E: Also if someone has a logitech driving force gt steering wheel and have been able to get a good profile for Dirt 4 set up I'd love to see it. I'm not sure if I've got mine dialled in properly and I'm at a loss at what to change.

Aphex- fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jun 12, 2017

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

General consensus from people that sperg about this stuff (eg. porkhammer who linked to gheed's - another alien - guide for thrustmaster ffb) is that turning wheel friction and tyre slip to zero cleans up the fake/canned ffb so that you can better interpret the useful information.

The guide is here for people with thrustmasters (has info for both 300 and 500) - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=943644875

Doing this brought the FFB much more inline with what I was used to from dirt rally and was a big help.

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.

Qmass posted:

Getting real tired of the baseline tunes in this game. Some cars aren't too far off and a little diff tweaking goes a long way. Other cars, like the integrale on wales in the rain is so unresponsive its infuriating and I don't know enough about tuning to do anything with it.

I've been struggling with setup too. One thing that helped a bit was finding out that the default tuning for all the cars was intended to be very "safe" and favor understeer. I also found softening the springs made things easier (maybe because I'm on a gamepad?) but that might also cause them to break more often I think.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I had a brake failure. Radio cutout. And my transmission made ungodly noises. All on the same stage.

Game rules.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Daily is a lot of fun today. Another long one but a good car for it.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Stratos in Spain is just heavenly. So flowing and fun.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
I did 90 seconds on today's Daily shakedown.

How in the hell do you control this car? I could better control an overeager Labrador with a kazoo.

Edit: Yeah, no, gently caress today. This car is more uncontrollable than yesterday- and this is in the sun, with a modern vehicle. NOTHING about it makes sense.

1. It can't brake.
2. You barely push the stick for a tenth of a second, and it spins out, at 10 mph.
3. It loses grip for no loving reason at every loving opportunity.

quaunaut fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 13, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

The Subaru seemed pretty easy to me idk

The gearing seemed pretty balls though

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

Norns posted:

The Subaru seemed pretty easy to me idk

The gearing seemed pretty balls though

This is why I think it's bugged somehow. I'm sincerely barely touching my controller, and it's going bonkers. And I'm trying to brake from 150 feet, barely going 40mph, and I'm flying over the edge of the curve at 30mph.

Then, I switch to the car I've got going in career, and I'm perfection incarnate. Yesterday's Daily was 3x easier than this, I could barely complete a single turn here.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yeah that's not right at all

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I know realism should never be used as an argument for something being wrong in games but I'm pretty sure its dry in Australia because it doesn't rain all the time and most rally stages are run during the day... the rally career is really getting on my nerves. With that out of the way the rain actually looks amazing now and is fun to drive in, the night lighting is also great. I just wish I could get a look at day time because all 6 stages in the final australian event were night or dusk.

Maybe the unannounced 2 right over crest after a 400m straight is coloring my opinion right now.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jun 13, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I know I'm a scrub that needs to git gud but the lack of rewind button is really killing this for me :( hate loving up at the very end

Wonder if it is something that could maybe possibly never be patched in

Lol who am I kidding

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
Todays daily translate to "Garbage Lake" in Norwegian. A fitting name, judging from my shakedown times.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Still cant get over how much better tarmac is now.

https://fat.gfycat.com/BlaringGlassAcornbarnacle.webm

Qmass fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 13, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I know I'm a scrub that needs to git gud but the lack of rewind button is really killing this for me :( hate loving up at the very end

Wonder if it is something that could maybe possibly never be patched in

Lol who am I kidding

They will not do this.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

😭😭

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
After a couple days I've put more time into this game than I ever did into Rally. Mostly because I'm a casual who never won a race in that game. At least here I can turn down the AI a bit and feel good about myself, even if I am still afraid of RWD.

Also it turns out you can destroy your car. I finished a pretty clean run by slamming flat out into the finish line marker. Instantly disqualified me from the tournament I was halfway through.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Rewind has its place and it's not in this game. Restart the stage and drive slower. Stages are like 2-5 minutes long.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

I was losing confidence in my abilities. Now we're at stage 3 of the weekly. Goddamn this is fun again! It's nice to be able to switch poo poo up, a lot more "engaging" than Rally (which I adore).

If anyone likes how the cars handle in this game, but still would like a rewind function, try Sebastian Loeb Rally Evo. I had fun with it.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
So uh, wow: Try upgrading your car and not making GBS threads a brick afterward. Upgrading my Peugeot 208 to Grade B parts has turned what was my well-performing, fun little romp-machine into a vicious cheetah barely convinced to not eat me alive. Yeesh.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

The random failures are my favorite thing. Radio failures at night are so terrifying.

Kainblueriver
Aug 10, 2013
I am really liking Dirt 4 as a person who is not good at racing games. I feel that this game is more welcoming to newer players than Dirt Rally.

Norns posted:

The random failures are my favorite thing. Radio failures at night are so terrifying.
My first radio failure was during my first race after the tutorial during a section where the fog rolled in. Talk about also being terrifying. The failures can really make you have to adjust and can make things pretty fun.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Norns posted:

I just had a foggy night stage in the welsh forest where the intercom was cutting in and out with static and the headlights were blinking and going off for a couple seconds randomly and it was like a drat horror film. Still prefer day time with no weather though :colbert:

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

BrainMeats posted:

After a couple days I've put more time into this game than I ever did into Rally. Mostly because I'm a casual who never won a race in that game. At least here I can turn down the AI a bit and feel good about myself, even if I am still afraid of RWD.

Also it turns out you can destroy your car. I finished a pretty clean run by slamming flat out into the finish line marker. Instantly disqualified me from the tournament I was halfway through.

Those markers are the bane of my existence as I drive a perfectly clean rally then smash my front end to bits on one. Especially as the co-driver doesn't call out turns beyond them. Once there was a 2 turn just behind the markers which I went flying into and flipped my car. The marshal clock ran out but it must have taken pity on me for being upside-down and didn't disqualify or penalise me.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

quaunaut posted:

So uh, wow: Try upgrading your car and not making GBS threads a brick afterward. Upgrading my Peugeot 208 to Grade B parts has turned what was my well-performing, fun little romp-machine into a vicious cheetah barely convinced to not eat me alive. Yeesh.

I didn't think the upgrades changed performance at all but rather just made the parts more durable?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

quaunaut posted:

I thought upgrades just increased durability, didn't realize they helped performance as well. Will have to try it out.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Granite Octopus posted:

I thought upgrades just increased durability, didn't realize they helped performance as well. Will have to try it out.

You thought right, he's just fooling himself.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Apparently your engineer can randomly halve its skill based on mood even in freeplay. Seems kind of stupid...

Qmass fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jun 14, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Qmass posted:

Apparently your engineer can randomly halve its skill based on mood even in freeplay. Seems kind of stupid...

Naw it's actually good

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

It's fine in career mode but if I just want to hop on and do a quick generated stage in freeplay but I can't use my tuning profile because it has randomly shitcanned my tuning skill that is not a good thing.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Anyone else getting tired of the generated stages already? Every time, it's the same corners repeated like 3 or 4 times. There's absolutely nothing unique or memorable on any of the tracks.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

L_Harrison posted:

Anyone else getting tired of the generated stages already? Every time, it's the same corners repeated like 3 or 4 times. There's absolutely nothing unique or memorable on any of the tracks.

I feel the same way. Hoping Codemasters can update with more stage pieces.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

It's really noticeable in the helicopter replays. Hasn't really bothered me driving though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

gently caress just port the stages in from rally and add a couple hand crafted ones and sell it as a dlc pack.

• Locked thread