Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Hamshot posted:

For the new dark imperium starter box the plague marines are super busy (or chaotic :hehe:) but their new flagship models, the Bigly Marines, are comparatively restrained. It's more likely down to design foibles than any tinfoil conspiracy.

I think the reason the new death guard look so super busy is their outline has been lost under all these big smooth textureless horns and bells and things. The GW designers could stand going back to the design basics and having the outlines distinctive with detail being added by texture rather than horns everywhere turning the outlines into spiky blobs.

Dark Imperium Death Guard plaguemarines. A couple of the models are fine but for most of them the chainlink tabards and other hanging details muddy the legs and the combination of horns, smoke, piping and that little skull with wings break up any distinct outline.

tbh if any faction of Kaos Marines should look like undifferentiated messy blobs its Nurgle.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Having played a few games, I think Command Points are by far the best addition to the new edition. 40k needed a manage-able resource so goddamn bad. Say what you will about Power levels (I think they're fine), but the Narrative Play missions are the most interesting part of the new rulebook's add-on rules. Narrative play has the most interesting (and asymmetrical) missions and adds interesting custom strategems for attackers/defenders.

Does anything of that necessitate dispensing with points values?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

anti_strunt posted:

tbh if any faction of Kaos Marines should look like undifferentiated messy blobs its Nurgle.

Much like how you don't paint accurate camo on your minis (it makes them look like a featureless blob since that's the point of camo), you shouldn't sculpt your minis that way either.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

anti_strunt posted:

Does anything of that necessitate dispensing with points values?

They didn't do away with points values

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Southern Heel posted:

I'm having a game of L'Art De La Guerre today (which is the groggiest of grog historicals but hear me out), for the first time - and it's about as black-and-white as a comparison could be - every army has three commanders, each representing the vanguard and each wing. Each troop choice has a standard profile (imagine a universal special rule for all 'light skirmishers') with +1 or -1 modifiers depending on whether they're elite or mediocre. They have scissors-papers-stone relationships with each other: elephants destroy cavalry, but themselves are weak to skirmishers. Barbarians smash spearmen but have their impetus sapped by well trained heavy infantry without the need for seventeen different statistics and weapon profiles.

If we're thinking of the same rules, I must admit I had a quick lol at the idea of a modernised DBx being the "groggiest of grog"

http://www.madaxeman.com/L_Art_de_la_Guerre_page.php posted:

The rules book itself is a hansome beast, with 240 pages including all of the lists for the ancient and medieval era. The lists appear to have been painstakingly researched, erm, I suspect, probably by reading 4 key "historical texts", but rather than organising them by "books 1-4" there are separate sections for different geographies and eras to allow more easy themed competitions.

heh, Phil Barker

Chill la Chill posted:

Sounds amazing. I'm looking at the game now and it doesn't look all the groggy. . (I guess I define groggy as incredibly involved with dumb minutiae.... like 40K.) Could probably use my Brets and samurai and fight my friend's ogres and lizardmen with this stuff.

e: i of course say this without the slightest bit of irony in that my friends and I are now enjoying 18xx games and the COIN system. We'll probably be playing advanced squad leader in a few years

Ever try good old De Bellis Antiquitatis, or its fantasy variant Hordes of the Things?

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

They didn't do away with points values

TheChirurgeon posted:

Having played a few games, I think Command Points are by far the best addition to the new edition. 40k needed a manage-able resource so goddamn bad. Say what you will about Power levels (I think they're fine), but the Narrative Play missions are the most interesting part of the new rulebook's add-on rules. Narrative play has the most interesting (and asymmetrical) missions and adds interesting custom strategems for attackers/defenders.

Does using Power instead of Points work better specifically for Narrative play, or could those additional missions/stratagems be used with points as well?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

anti_strunt posted:

Does using Power instead of Points work better specifically for Narrative play, or could those additional missions/stratagems be used with points as well?

You can use either.

That said, Power *are* points, they're just a different scoring system that's less granular (they are essentially calculated off the model's cost + 1/2 the possible upgrades, and it's something like 1 power ~ 20 points). You can use either Power or traditional points for the Narrative missions, but it's worth noting that the Narrative missions aren't designed to necessarily be balanced points-wise or symmetrical--some recommend that the attacker have higher power/more points than the defender, for example.

I like power because it makes building an army take less than 5 minutes and I can make my decisions based off what the models I want to take are armed with. The biggest downside to power is that for some reason it caused GW to put out a terrible points layout for its new rulebooks.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I like the idea of power levels, and I think honestly gw made real points so difficult so ppl would just use power levels. But there are weird things, like genestealers in gsc being 4 PL or 90 points and space ICP troupes 7 PL or 75 points

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I feel like PL is admitting that they're bad at balance and maybe by having two sets of costs at least one will work.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

muggins posted:

I like the idea of power levels, and I think honestly gw made real points so difficult so ppl would just use power levels. But there are weird things, like genestealers in gsc being 4 PL or 90 points and space ICP troupes 7 PL or 75 points

Probably that you can tool up Harlequins a lot more than genestealers.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Speleothing posted:

I feel like PL is admitting that they're bad at balance and maybe by having two sets of costs at least one will work.

Power Level is easy; just come up with a rough number, keep saying these are "rough but equal", and the GW supporters will parrot the rest.
Granular points are hard, and usually are adjusted by looking at where the rubber meet the road. This is why PP/Mantic/Hawk are actually pretty balanced; they look at the results.

So enter 8th edition. Power Level is right on the front of the datasheet! Easy, takes care of unit sizes and upgrades! Yay!
Normal points are regulated to the back of the book and are painful to calculate. You usually have to flip back and forth to see the upgrades and basic weapons which may or may not cost additional points. This incentives people to say "gently caress it, lets do Power Level as they are rough but equal". This lets GW dump points easily in the future so they don't have to spend any time with actually balancing anything at a micro level. Yay!

:tinfoil:

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
GW didn't have the forethought to not release books that would get completely invalidated by a new edition within the year. That kind of conspiracy is probably beyond them.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

anti_strunt posted:

If we're thinking of the same rules, I must admit I had a quick lol at the idea of a modernised DBx being the "groggiest of grog"

heh, Phil Barker

Ever try good old De Bellis Antiquitatis, or its fantasy variant Hordes of the Things?

So LADLAG is essentially big-battle DBA, more skirmish-shooting, and units don't immediately evaporate on a single bad dice roll.

By Grog I guess I meant focusing more on historical accuracy/balance, and lacking 'personality'.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sometimes I wonder why minis games looking for a good start to a completely overhauled system don't just copy points and mechanics wholesale from some groggy wargame and go from there. I mean, those groggy games probably have reams of spreadsheets behind them.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Southern Heel posted:

So LADLAG is essentially big-battle DBA, more skirmish-shooting, and units don't immediately evaporate on a single bad dice roll.

Yeah, the exhaustion mechanic was what stood out to me. Our circle still has a bunch of old DBA armies from when ran some campaigns (really prefer DBA as a campaign system rather than a tournament system); will definitely check this game out and see if it scratches the 15mm itch. Thanks for making me aware of it!

Chill la Chill posted:

Sometimes I wonder why minis games looking for a good start to a completely overhauled system don't just copy points and mechanics wholesale from some groggy wargame and go from there. I mean, those groggy games probably have reams of spreadsheets behind them.

Well, going by the very arch quote above L'Art De La Guerre appears to have based its army lists largely on DBM. :cheeky: (There are certainly worse sources to start from.)

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I will highlight for what it's worth that while I enjoyed playing both DBA and LADLAG either solo or with my usual frendly beer-and-chips opponent, I played it for the first time in a club on Friday and it was the most boring thing ever. I was literally loooking over at someone playing Rock Em' Sock Em' Robots with Space Marines on the table next door with envious eyes.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

anti_strunt posted:

Yeah, the exhaustion mechanic was what stood out to me. Our circle still has a bunch of old DBA armies from when ran some campaigns (really prefer DBA as a campaign system rather than a tournament system); will definitely check this game out and see if it scratches the 15mm itch. Thanks for making me aware of it!

Well, going by the very arch quote above L'Art De La Guerre appears to have based its army lists largely on DBM. :cheeky: (There are certainly worse sources to start from.)

Just wondering why GW just didn't strap these rules into a warhammer or 40k ruleset and call it a day. Though I guess at some point they run out of different types of artillery and, as sci-fi games have this problem, they "need" dozens of types of weapons.

As much as I like infinity, :lol: that it has 5 types of airborne deployment.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Serious post - is AoS Skirmish worth a shot for a Song-of-Blades-and-Heroes level gently caress-around (bear in mind I have no interest in AoS-full)

Chill la Chill posted:

This is why I think (despite it being a slightly different level of game) Firefight totally scratches the itch of skirmish future-games. I found that Infinity had many special rules (each with unique mechanics) and there were multiple layers of counter, and anti-counter measures for each. It certainly does function if you're fluent with the ruleset and ALL of the idiosyncrasies, but IMO something like Kings of War or Firefight where there are very few unique mechanics and if there are, it modifies a roll up/down, provides some kind of reroll or precludes an action (or allows an action which would otherwise be precluded) is much, much cleaner.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Southern Heel posted:

Serious post - is AoS Skirmish worth a shot for a Song-of-Blades-and-Heroes level gently caress-around (bear in mind I have no interest in AoS-full)

It's worth a punt. It's the only format I'd play AoS in.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Chill la Chill posted:

To be fair, 40K has this too: Reserves, Outflanking Reserves, Deep Strike, and SpaceWolf Scout Outflanking Reserves. The only difference is that in Infinity, they're all in the same place in the rulebook. :shrug:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ElNarez posted:

GW didn't have the forethought to not release books that would get completely invalidated by a new edition within the year. That kind of conspiracy is probably beyond them.

"GW wasn't smart enough to not bilk its customers for extra money" is not a strong argument. I agree they're not likely engaging in a conspiracy to undermine the use of points, though. They're just bad at making good rules.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ilor posted:

To be fair, 40K has this too: Reserves, Outflanking Reserves, Deep Strike, and SpaceWolf Scout Outflanking Reserves. The only difference is that in Infinity, they're all in the same place in the rulebook. :shrug:

Right. I like infinity, like I said. I'm actually prepping the fat yuan yuan right now. It's still ridiculous that SF minis games all feel the need to have that much granularity. Did you ever have that one friend that insisted katanas were radically different from other bastard swords and that it was a travesty that D&D treated them the same?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Thundercloud posted:

It's worth a punt. It's the only format I'd play AoS in.

Hmmm.. so I watched an AoS Skirmish report and it looked dry as gently caress, so scratch that. I guess it's either Song of Blades and Heroes proper or something like Frostgrave, for my small-skirmish Fantasy...

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Chill la Chill posted:

Right. I like infinity, like I said. I'm actually prepping the fat yuan yuan right now. It's still ridiculous that SF minis games all feel the need to have that much granularity. Did you ever have that one friend that insisted katanas were radically different from other bastard swords and that it was a travesty that D&D treated them the same?
Katanas are different - they suck against heavy armor. But I'll bet that's not what your weeaboo friend had in mind, am I right?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I used to have that one weeb friend that insisted a katana could cut clean through a lamppost

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sigh. *unsheathes blade*

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ilor posted:

Katanas are different - they suck against heavy armor. But I'll bet that's not what your weeaboo friend had in mind, am I right?

I am the weeaboo friend. But not about the swords bit. That was my other friend who loved talking about them as much as Gygax loved polearms.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Moola posted:

I used to have that one weeb friend that insisted a katana could cut clean through a lamppost

They are powerful weapons.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

they suck balls and were made of lovely steel

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Katanas look cool and since it's the 21st century that's all that matters.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Moola posted:

they suck balls and were made of lovely steel

mods?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Samurai?

more like NAHmurai!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Moola is online bullying me on steam 😢

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Mods?!

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Chill la Chill posted:

I'd sure hate to be hit with one, even in armor.

A lamppost, that is.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

quote:

That's it. I'm sick of all this "Masterwork Bastard Sword" bullshit that's going on in the Infinity system right now. Katanas deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.
I should know what I'm talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine katana in Shentang for 2,400,000,000 Yuan (that's about 20,000,000 Oceana) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even cut slabs of solid Teseum with my katana.
Japanese smiths spend years working on a single katana and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to mankind.
Katanas are thrice as sharp as PanOceanian swords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything a Templar Sword can cut through, a katana can cut through better. I'm pretty sure a katana could easily bisect a T.A.G. wearing full Jotum Armor with a simple vertical slash.
Ever wonder why Pan Oceania never bothered conquering Japan? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined Domaru Butai and their katanas of destruction. Even in Campaign Paradiso, Combined Army Troops targeted the men (and women) with the katanas first because their killing power was feared and respected.
So what am I saying? Katanas are simply the best sword that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in the Infinity system. Here is the stat block I propose for Katanas:

(one handed weapon)
Damage 15, AP+EXP+Shock
+3 MOD to hit in CC

(two handed weapon)
Monofilament+EXP
+6 MOD to hit in CC

(dual Wielded weapons)
Nanoscreen
Monofilament+EXP
+6 Mod to hit in CC

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

That's a fat yuan yuan

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Speleothing posted:

I'd sure hate to be hit with one, even in armor.

A lamppost, that is.

Imagine if I had a real weapon!

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Oh man. Those katanas are so sharp and efficient. You'd better accept lower wages and reduced benefits or those katanas will replace you. I swear to god any day now. I read a thing in the 80's and it's gonna happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

lol weebs

• Locked thread