Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Not to bring inferior gaijin companies into this thread, but Okada Omega II made me wonder: when's the last time the WWE made an extended storyline about the wrestler's moves as opposed to "gently caress you I want the belt, no gently caress you" or whatever. It made Okada Omega II easy to settle into because, in the fiction of the match, I knew that Okada had previously kicked out of all his old opponent's finishers and the V-Trigger and the Dragon, and I knew the Omega's only chance was the One Winged Angel. Then, over the course of the match, the Okada Dropkick evolved into Kenny's kryptonite. So like, the match was essentially a self-contained universe where the moves were the story. I'm wrackin' my brain trying to think of the most recent WWE example. Best I can come up with is Orton's Punt Kick, which is still protected as a death sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

mary had a little clam posted:

Not to bring inferior gaijin companies into this thread, but Okada Omega II made me wonder: when's the last time the WWE made an extended storyline about the wrestler's moves as opposed to "gently caress you I want the belt, no gently caress you" or whatever. It made Okada Omega II easy to settle into because, in the fiction of the match, I knew that Okada had previously kicked out of all his old opponent's finishers and the V-Trigger and the Dragon, and I knew the Omega's only chance was the One Winged Angel. Then, over the course of the match, the Okada Dropkick evolved into Kenny's kryptonite. So like, the match was essentially a self-contained universe where the moves were the story. I'm wrackin' my brain trying to think of the most recent WWE example. Best I can come up with is Orton's Punt Kick, which is still protected as a death sentence.

Every time Cena wrestles the Big Show there are raised questions as to whether Cena will be able to lift him into the AA.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Did they even have an intermission this year? That was a ton of wrestling I stayed up till 5:30 to watch, and most of it feels like a fever dream today. Don't even remember what happened before the top 4 matches (obviously all 4 matches were amazing).

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

mary had a little clam posted:

Goldberg/Lesnar

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

exploded mummy posted:

Goldberg/Lesnar

This answer is both technically true and yet... oddly unsatisfying. But yes, absolutely right, I can't believe I'd forgotten it already hah

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Benne posted:

Did they even have an intermission this year? That was a ton of wrestling I stayed up till 5:30 to watch, and most of it feels like a fever dream today. Don't even remember what happened before the top 4 matches (obviously all 4 matches were amazing).

No intermission and the show did not feel like it dragged and that finish made me more awake at 5:00 AM than anything else. Okada/Omega are the best

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
this and the dome had an intermission it's what the cody match was for

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So hey I got a question.

Does the ref's count supercede the match clock? Like if the clock hits 0 when the ref is counting a pin, what happens.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

VJeff posted:

So hey I got a question.

Does the ref's count supercede the match clock? Like if the clock hits 0 when the ref is counting a pin, what happens.

It is a relatively common time limit draw finish for the timer to run out on a two count. It's always fun when they mistime it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

remusclaw posted:

It is a relatively common time limit draw finish for the timer to run out on a two count. It's always fun when they mistime it.

Okay.

Then I am going to say the match should've ended with Kenny hitting the One Winged Angel and time running out during the cover. :colbert:

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

remusclaw posted:

The best time this has happened was the time that proved Jeff Hardy to be the dumbest man in wrestling.

The Mike Adamle original SCRAMBLE MATCH ended after 25 minutes and whoever was the last to score a pinfall or submission was the champion. Going into the last minute, Jeff Hardy was the Current Interim Champion. Triple H was scoring a pin over someone (probably Kendrick) with 3 seconds left while Hardy was standing right next to them. Instead of breaking up the pin, Hardy then decided with ONE SECOND LEFT to try to pin someone else. Of course, HHH ended the match as champion and Jeff Hardy ended the match as a loving idiot.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

remusclaw posted:

Every time Cena wrestles the Big Show there are raised questions as to whether Cena will be able to lift him into the AA.

Pretty sure that's impossible dude. To makes matters even worse for Cena, Big Show is too large for him to lock in the STF.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Jr, IC and IWGP were all a shade less than their WK counterparts, imo. Still the best show I've seen since then.

Anyone else listen to English commentary? I thought Kevin and Don started mentioning time too early, kind of gave away the finish

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EugeneJ posted:

I'm just watching Omega-Okada now and I already have a "lol that's not 5 stars" moment - Okada whiffs on kicking Omega in the face about 6 minutes in and Omega sells it anyway

Better remove like half of the five star matches.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
excuse me but i have a bone to pick with new japan wrestling, and the spot that ruined the business from the gauntlet match: zack sabre jr. not only holding back ishii, but pushing him back as well

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Am I nitpicking or would the ending have worked better to set up Okada/Omega III if it had been Kenny who hit his finisher and couldn't pin Okada in time? As it stands the story is Okada wins then Okada would have won if the match were a few seconds longer.

Either way, probably the best match I've ever seen and better than the Dome.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/jaudiowrestling/status/874100231587090432

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

excuse me but i have a bone to pick with new japan wrestling, and the spot that ruined the business from the gauntlet match: zack sabre jr. not only holding back ishii, but pushing him back as well

This is why I try to only watch CMLL where they do not insult my intelligence with unrealistic nonsense like that.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

loving hell I feel bad for people going to the G1 Special if the top two matches are Okada/Cody and Tanahashi/Mr. rear end

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Baron Corbyn posted:

loving hell I feel bad for people going to the G1 Special if the top two matches are Okada/Cody and Tanahashi/Mr. rear end

The latter owns so much.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

This is why I try to only watch CMLL where they do not insult my intelligence with unrealistic nonsense like that.

no, they just beat up a midget and use him as a prop

Baron Corbyn posted:

Am I nitpicking or would the ending have worked better to set up Okada/Omega III if it had been Kenny who hit his finisher and couldn't pin Okada in time? As it stands the story is Okada wins then Okada would have won if the match were a few seconds longer.

I kinda feel the same way, like the way they got to Omega/Okada II was kind of weird, its a great matchup, but Omega didn't exactly do a ton in between the Dome show and Domininon, and Okada wrestled his rear end off and defended repeatedly.

how do you get the guy who lost once with a ton of outside interference, and couldn't beat him in 60 minutes to wrestle for the third match

outside of winning the G1 or winning the spot from the dude from the G1

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Baron Corbyn posted:

Kenny had more than enough time between Rainmaker and when Okada was going to reach him to build up enough energy to kick out. A pin after that long a crawl is like Triple H v Booker T level egregious.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Baron Corbyn posted:

I actually dug it, because Kenny did hit the One Winged Angel at a point where the match felt it was peaking, but because of the ring placement Okada was able to use the rope to break the pin. It's the only thing that saved him, and Kenny wasn't able to hit the move again after that leaving the two seemingly evenly matched. Yes it looked like Okada had the upper hand when time ran out, but there's no way of knowing if he would have kicked out or not. Okada definitely would have been pinned if he hadn't been able to get to the rope.

I think it did a pretty great job of giving us the One Winged Angel in this match but still protecting its status as a killer finisher.

God I hope I don't have to wait till Wrestle Kingdom 12 for the rubber match.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

The latter owns so much.

it does, and I am very happy it is happening but if I'd bought a ticket to see the one NJPW show I could without flying to Japan from the USA, I'd kinda want at least one big match with NJPW top guys.

Cody/Okada is just plain bad.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jerusalem posted:

I actually dug it, because Kenny did hit the One Winged Angel at a point where the match felt it was peaking, but because of the ring placement Okada was able to use the rope to break the pin. It's the only thing that saved him, and Kenny wasn't able to hit the move again after that leaving the two seemingly evenly matched. Yes it looked like Okada had the upper hand when time ran out, but there's no way of knowing if he would have kicked out or not. Okada definitely would have been pinned if he hadn't been able to get to the rope.

I think it did a pretty great job of giving us the One Winged Angel in this match but still protecting its status as a killer finisher.

God I hope I don't have to wait till Wrestle Kingdom 12 for the rubber match.

rubber match means tiebreaker

there is no tie because Okada is 1-0-1 against Omega

unless we're sitting at like match 4 or 5 in January

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian

exploded mummy posted:

no, they just beat up a midget and use him as a prop

yeah, but that's what anyone would do if they were in that situation in real life

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Baron Corbyn posted:

it does, and I am very happy it is happening but if I'd bought a ticket to see the one NJPW show I could without flying to Japan from the USA, I'd kinda want at least one big match with NJPW top guys.

Cody/Okada will be great.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Baron Corbyn posted:

I'm in for Mr. rear end vs. Mr. Ace.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

That's a stupid match but whatever, at this point I'm going so I can boo Cody. No doubt there will be a couple really good multiman matches.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sigmachiev posted:

That's a stupid match but whatever, at this point I'm going so I can boo Cody. No doubt there will be a couple really good multiman matches.

It's no different than WWE putting their TOKEN FOREIGN GUY in big matches when they're touring:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeS02F3WRis

Maybe not so much anymore since WWE's roster is more diverse, but back then it happened a lot

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
mr. rear end is the keystone of the american expansion

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Cody/Okada will be great.

I'm going to preemptively nominate it for WMOTY

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Baron Corbyn posted:

Not at all. 'Perfect' booking to me would have been leaving us with 'if there were 30 more seconds, Kenny would have won'.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

exploded mummy posted:

rubber match means tiebreaker

there is no tie because Okada is 1-0-1 against Omega

unless we're sitting at like match 4 or 5 in January

I stand corrected. I hope I don't have to wait till Wrestle Kingdom 12 to see Omega finally beat Okada in the third of their title matches.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Baron Corbyn posted:

I'm not stoked on Cody vs Okada when Kenny is right there, but why will Cody and Okada be bad? They are both very good wrestlers.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The_Rob posted:

I'm not stoked on Cody vs Okada when Kenny is right there, but why will Cody and Okada be bad? They are both very good wrestlers.

it won't be a bad match, it's a bad decision imo. I find Cody boring and I can't think of a singles match of his I've really enjoyed.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I'm not stoked on billy gunn vs tanahashi at all though. I don't think it will even be bad or anything but I straight up don't care about billy gunn.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
At least Cody is still in his physical prime. Billy looked totally washed the last few times I saw him in WWE.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
At the same time though there are two nights. So who knows really what matches there are going to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Cody has yet to have even a decent match in New Japan and the crowds don't give a gently caress about him.

• Locked thread