Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

ConfusedUs posted:

Looks like you're already in a game with someone. WIth no spectator slots. Boooooooo!

Nothing much to watch. 1st game crashed then another guy brought Ashoka/Hera again vs ybbzz combo and let my stresshog get in range turn 3. Needless to say that combo doesn't work well when ghost is eating multiple stress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

Nothing much to watch. 1st game crashed then another guy brought Ashoka/Hera again vs ybbzz combo and let my stresshog get in range turn 3. Needless to say that combo doesn't work well when ghost is eating multiple stress.

lol that'd do it

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

overdesigned posted:

I just got my C-ROC and the "it's not a misprint they totally meant to have the firing arc be the divider between fore and aft" argument is somewhat belied by the fact that the manual with the ship specifically says "The ship token is divided into two halves by the blue center line." :v:

Just gonna sit back and wait for them to errata this. Yep, any day now...

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Got a bunch of matches in TTS and Vassal today with YBBZZ and it is really working for me. I haven't been bumping into my own ships unless I wanted to. Might beat the crap out of the list for the next few weeks and shock the poo poo out of everyone at the shop by flying it for the store champs instead of scum. Starting to fall deeply in love with the stresshog too.

Feel much better being able to play against meta lists online since no one seems to bring them to shop unless it's tourney time.

EDIT: Just browsing around now and a few shops in Australia are selling preorders for wave 11 with a launch date of July 10th. Not going to correct my flgs owner if she happens to sell early

The Bomber is K-Wing price and the other 2 are normal price.

Raged fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jun 11, 2017

radlum
May 13, 2013
Are there any good X Wing podcasts?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

No.

tatertot
Aug 29, 2003
I like Radio TCX

VikingPenguin
Nov 6, 2005

radlum posted:

Are there any good X Wing podcasts?

I've got an excessive amount of time with headphones at work, and can give you a rundown.

Krayt (hi brunas): mostly poo poo talking with some super valuable high level competitive insight, usually not the greatest sound quality. From North Carolina.

Mynock: pretty much the standard now, 60 some episodes in. Pretty good going over news and meta. LA area.

Scum and Villainy: has some good insights, hosts are spread out a bit, can sometimes get bloated with too many people, but probably one of the best.

NOVA: dead or on hiatus, but one of the originals. Got longer and more bloated as time went on. Regularly has Paul Heaver on.

Kessel Run: another OG podcast, these guys have a bit more fun.

Back To Dials: Colorado based, recently switched a host and very irregularly posted.

TCX: Minnesota based, half hour shows. Professional and to the point, but not super deeply in depth.

Gold Squadron: out of Chicago, solid, but more known for streaming things on twitch and YouTube and extremely good tournament hosting.

Birmingham Barons, OCX: just getting started, but not bad.

186th: premier U.K. Group.

Imperial Propaganda: Australia's main podcast I think?

Hell of a Pilot: a newer Australian effort.

Shuttle Tyderium: focused on any format that isn't 100/6, with missions and thematic play.

Did I miss any?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

IronSaber posted:

Just gonna sit back and wait for them to errata this. Yep, any day now...

Is this :thejoke: or something?

In case it's not, they already errated it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Bbyzz is a cool and fun list. It's biggest weakness is arc dodging aces, and those are fairly rare these days.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
What is it made of, appart from the obvious?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Iceclaw posted:

What is it made of, appart from the obvious?

Blue squads with FCS, bandits with tracers and chips, and standard y wing stressbot. 100 points on the nose.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

canyoneer posted:

Blue squads with FCS, bandits with tracers and chips, and standard y wing stressbot. 100 points on the nose.

I'm finding a lot of people think they are going to win when they blow up the Z-95's. That's about the time the B-wing's just start wrecking poo poo. All hail the 2 flip

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Frankly the stresshog is the priority target, followed by the Bs.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I'm just starting to get in to X-Wing, and I know what everyone is saying is in English, but holy poo poo I have no idea what anyone is talking about.
I'm beginning to get the hang of some of the abbreviations, and some of the strategies but from reading this and other forums, I'm thinking this is not something I'd ever want to play competitively.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Funzo posted:

I'm just starting to get in to X-Wing, and I know what everyone is saying is in English, but holy poo poo I have no idea what anyone is talking about.
I'm beginning to get the hang of some of the abbreviations, and some of the strategies but from reading this and other forums, I'm thinking this is not something I'd ever want to play competitively.

Play for fun. Even tournaments are fun and you will most of the time learn a lot by playing against new people. X-Wing in general has a really good community.

In time you will understand everything we are saying and feel free to ask questions

VikingPenguin
Nov 6, 2005

Funzo posted:

Yeah, there is a pretty excessive amount of shorthand and nicknames for everything. No worries about being competitive, if you play a couple months and learn the jargon and feel like it you can always try it out later.

I think even most of the podcasts assume people have all of the common pilots and upgrades memorized, and once you do have them down it feels like the start of the third book in the series when they spend two chapters on recap every time someone reads the text on "Push The Limit".

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Play casual games with people at your FLGS and ask for advice during and after the game. The xwing community is notoriously friendly and you'll pick things up pretty quickly. Tournaments are also pretty casual affairs with players of all skill levels.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
One way i learned was YouTube battle reports. Try trinity squad gaming or fly casual.

Avoid mini wargaming like the plague

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Avoid mini wargaming like the plague

They flew so casual that they don't even do wang bat reps anymore.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Mercifully most of X-Wing's jargon tends to be shortening of actual names or abbreviations as opposed to stupid rear end "clever" nicknames.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

They flew so casual that they don't even do wang bat reps anymore.

One could argue they never did in the first place

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Mercifully most of X-Wing's jargon tends to be shortening of actual names or abbreviations as opposed to stupid rear end "clever" nicknames.

Yeah. Most abbreviations are like Push the Limit, which gets abbreviated to PTL. Twin Laser Turrets goes to TLT. And so on.

Sometimes rebel lists get abbreviated by the letter of the ship that's in it. Like BBBBZ is four B-Wings with one Z-95. BBYZZ is two B-Wings, one Y-Wing, and two Z95s. Etc.

There are a few shorthand names for specific lists that one can't expect a newbie to understand, though. Stuff like "Thug Lyfe" won't make any sense unless you are familiar with the game. (To the new guy, Thug Lyfe is a list with 4x Syndicate Thug Y-Wings, all with Twin Laser Turrets and Unhinged Astromech).

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

ConfusedUs posted:

Sometimes rebel lists get abbreviated by the letter of the ship that's in it. Like BBBBZ is four B-Wings with one Z-95. BBYZZ is two B-Wings, one Y-Wing, and two Z95s. Etc.

Yeah this gets me too, I've been lurking for months in this thread and I know it gets tedious linking out each list but I am not about to comb through 40-50 pages of thread just to see what random list someone is talking about. This is why discord and pinned posts are so popular.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Find some people to play with, and play. The books included with the core are horrible for teaching you how to play, they are.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Tonight at casual night, running comfortably numb since I finally got a u wing, also running super-horton

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 12, 2017

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Tonight at casual night, running comfortably numb since I finally got a u wing, also running super-horton

I didn't know Comfortably Numb had a U-wing in it. List please?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

IronSaber posted:

I didn't know Comfortably Numb had a U-wing in it. List please?

It doesn't, but it has a card that is in the U-Wing expansion. (Bistan)

Ten Numb (31)
Adaptability (0)
Fire-Control System (2)
Ion Cannon (3)
Bistan (2)
B-Wing/E2 (1)

Biggs Darklighter (25)
R4-D6 (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Nien Nunb (29)
Snap Shot (2)
R3-A2 (2)
Pattern Analyzer (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

So Inaldra is a 14 point Mindlink.

Jumpmaster 5000: •Dengar (54)
Engine Upgrade (4)
•Punishing One (12)
Attanni Mindlink (1)
K4 Security Droid (3)
Unhinged Astromech (1)

Protectorate Star.: •Fenn Rau (32)
Autothrusters (2)
Concord Dawn Protector (1)
Attanni Mindlink (1)

M3-A Interceptor: •Inaldra (14)
"Light Scyk" Interceptor (-2)
Attanni Mindlink (1)

Total: 100/100

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

ConfusedUs posted:

Ten Numb (31)
Adaptability (0)
Fire-Control System (2)
Ion Cannon (3)
Bistan (2)
B-Wing/E2 (1)

Biggs Darklighter (25)
R4-D6 (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Nien Nunb (29)
Snap Shot (2)
R3-A2 (2)
Pattern Analyzer (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Anything non-obvious about this? I mean you clearly pick a ship you don't like, ionize and stress it, then blow it up. Rinse-repeat.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Man, I could swear that the first C-ROC article had a 13 point pilot, which means with the light Syck title it would be 11 points.
I guess the designers thought better of it

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

canyoneer posted:

Man, I could swear that the first C-ROC article had a 13 point pilot, which means with the light Syck title it would be 11 points.

Maybe that 13 points included the title.

Or their article writers screwed up again.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

canyoneer posted:

I think there was speculation it would include a 13 point pilot, but they never actually showcased one.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Finster Dexter posted:

Anything non-obvious about this? I mean you clearly pick a ship you don't like, ionize and stress it, then blow it up. Rinse-repeat.

Nope, that's it. The key is that both the stress (via R3-A2) and the Ion (via Ten Numb's ability + Bistan) is unavoidable.

It eats small ships for breakfast. You can only ionize big ships every other round. For them it's better to just shoot them and let the crits go through, mostly. Although I do like to stick one ion token on them early in case they get near a board edge later.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

Ten Numb (31)
Adaptability (0)
Fire-Control System (2)
Ion Cannon (3)
Bistan (2)
B-Wing/E2 (1)

Biggs Darklighter (25)
R4-D6 (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Nien Nunb (29)
Snap Shot (2)
R3-A2 (2)
Pattern Analyzer (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)

I don't understand why you can't just yank Bistian, the title, and the Ion Cannon in order to put a Mangler Cannon on there instead, and guarantee yourself 1 unblockable crit at range 1-3.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Because that's not a guaranteed ion. I used to fly mangler ten numb at tournaments (until, that is, jumpies came out), and he's good, but getting an auto-ion is pretty tasty.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Because that's not a guaranteed ion. I used to fly mangler ten numb at tournaments (until, that is, jumpies came out), and he's good, but getting an auto-ion is pretty tasty.

Fair enough, but it seems like a tricky proposition to get a ship at precisely Range 2 in order to proc Bistian.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

IronSaber posted:

I don't understand why you can't just yank Bistian, the title, and the Ion Cannon in order to put a Mangler Cannon on there instead, and guarantee yourself 1 unblockable crit at range 1-3.

You could. But that would serve a different (and singular) purpose altogether.

This version costs one point more, but has quite a bit of flexibility. It's sadly quite weak to today's meta where there are lots and lots of big ships.

IronSaber posted:

Fair enough, but it seems like a tricky proposition to get a ship at precisely Range 2 in order to proc Bistian.

Bistan works at range 1-2

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I am making one difference. Replacing Pattern Analyzer with Primer Thrusters, and the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

That's fair, but PA lets you k turn or tallon roll, then boost BEFORE getting the stress.

So if you boost into range one of something you shed the stress due to his pilot ability.

Primed thrusters lets you boost too, but after you get the stress. So unless you're in range one after executing the maneuver, you're keeping that stress token.

• Locked thread