Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Oh man. I was offered a car this weekend that I kinda want to pick up for my son. But I just learned theres NO paperwork for it and it's an out of state title (Cali). I'm not sure it's worth the work to get the title. I could possibly file for a storage or mechanics lean, but Oregon will no longer tell you who the last registered owner was. Does anyone know if Cali will?

It's a 1971 Toyota Celica ST Slantback, Cali Car, been sitting 20 years in a garage. Still has minor rust, two previous paint jobs, but it's all there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
If the seller claims title, it is really easy for him to get a title from dmv. He can mail something in and get a new title in a few weeks iirc.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Seminal Flu posted:

Could there be a more boring and unoriginal name for a next-gen console than the Xbox One X?

Boring console, boring name ;)

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Xbox 360 X One Mystic Marathon edition.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

the spyder posted:

Oh man. I was offered a car this weekend that I kinda want to pick up for my son. But I just learned theres NO paperwork for it and it's an out of state title (Cali). I'm not sure it's worth the work to get the title. I could possibly file for a storage or mechanics lean, but Oregon will no longer tell you who the last registered owner was. Does anyone know if Cali will?

It's a 1971 Toyota Celica ST Slantback, Cali Car, been sitting 20 years in a garage. Still has minor rust, two previous paint jobs, but it's all there.

That may be old enough where it doesn't have a title. In NY growing up vehicles up to 1973? Or something like that only had a registration. I can't find information on California law.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

InitialDave posted:

Their entire engine build probably cost similar to what it'd cost me to get a standard but refreshed 2JZGTE and gearbox, too, so it makes perfect sense, but there's a real cult around them with people thinking they're the only big-power iteration of the engine format.

That entire long block they started the build off probably only set them back a grand from the wreckers. They're basically the SBC of Australia.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
hey whats that website for picking out a good car shipper/transporter? east coast prices are just too good for a new VW GTI compared to what we get on the west coast.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

InitialDave posted:

Hah, watching the latest episode of Mighty Car Mods, and I bet there's going to be teeth gnashing from certain quarters about them building a straight-6 turbo Toyota drag car that isn't a TWOOO JAAAY ZEEE SWAP BRAHHH.

I loved it. But now I hope they get back to the Mira!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

BraveUlysses posted:

hey whats that website for picking out a good car shipper/transporter? east coast prices are just too good for a new VW GTI compared to what we get on the west coast.

I used direct express auto transport to get my M3 from the Bay Area to Salt Lake City. It's my only experience shipping a car and worked a treat. I think the part that makes it successful is recognizing your shipping a car and not a priority mail package so transit will take some time.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

BraveUlysses posted:

uShip?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

rdb posted:

That may be old enough where it doesn't have a title. In NY growing up vehicles up to 1973? Or something like that only had a registration. I can't find information on California law.

I'm going to call tomorrow. It gets more complicated, as the car was apparently found abandoned on a property the owner purchased in Cali nearly 30 years ago. They brought it to Oregon when they moved here 20 years ago and it sat in the garage since. He just passed away... so I'm going for impossible to title. My friend was hired to work on the car and was left/gifted the car by the estate. He has a bill of sale from the widow/estate. This should be fun...

the spyder fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jun 12, 2017

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Seminal Flu posted:

Could there be a more boring and unoriginal name for a next-gen console than the Xbox One X?

X
Box
One
X

So clever!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

the spyder posted:

I'm going to call tomorrow. It gets more complicated, as the car was apparently found abandoned on a property the owner purchased in Cali nearly 30 years ago. They brought it to Oregon when they moved here 20 years ago and it sat in the garage since. He just passed away... so I'm going for impossible to title. My friend was hired to work on the car and was left/gifted the car by the estate. He has a bill of sale from the widow/estate. This should be fun...

You will probably need a bonded title.
Also, if the car was unregistered for 20 years, it may owe back fees or you may get lucky and it will have dropped out of the system entirely.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Quick question. Why don't fenders come "rolled"?

nm posted:

Either the stamping is cheaper or the thicker bit serves a purpose.

Winner, both of these. A distortion-free double or j-flange is a tricky complicated process. Considering the arch gap most cars are designed with a flat flange is cheap easy and guaranteed trouble-free. It adds a bit of rigidity to an otherwise floppy panel.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Seminal Flu posted:

Beats Xbox One 2.
Specs sound nice, though, and the price isn't outrageous if it actually churns out that power. Since they made sure it's backwards compatible with Xbone and 360, I'm in. Seems like Microsoft is actually listening to its users.

edit: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2017-where-to-preorder-xbox-one-x/1100-6450738/ (also has the presentation video, and links to pics/specs)

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Twenty-four hours on a company-chartered fishing boat - why not? I didn't know anything about fishing, but I figured I would just rent a pole and tag along for shits and giggles. Next thing you know all the experienced anglers on the boat with $$$$ rig setups are grumbling and your new nickname is The Wrecking Ball because you caught the only back-to-back halibut in recent memory, using an apparently incorrect overly-heavy round sinker. I also caught two yellowtail tuna.

Sea fishing is gnarly!

Me irl

Deckhands doing the dirty work

Dude knows how to fillet

One halibut

I ate a shitload of sashimi yellowtail tonight, hot drat :fap:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

gently caress that, real anglers ask if you've got enough poo poo for another rig so they can catch fish too. (drat fine looking fish you caught. I need to go again soon. :()

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Raluek posted:

So it goes XBOX, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox One Ten?

Better than just sticking an "s" on the end to ape Apple, I guess

Xbox One Ten County Td5

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

the spyder posted:

Eh, bill of sale will get you a bonded title most places, and if nobody's contesting it it'll be safe as houses.

If your state requires a safety inspection, though, you may have more trouble.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Twenty-four hours on a company-chartered fishing boat - why not? I didn't know anything about fishing, but I figured I would just rent a pole and tag along for shits and giggles. Next thing you know all the experienced anglers on the boat with $$$$ rig setups are grumbling and your new nickname is The Wrecking Ball because you caught the only back-to-back halibut in recent memory, using an apparently incorrect overly-heavy round sinker. I also caught two yellowtail tuna.

Ha! We went on a company fishing trip as well. One dude pulled in cod after cod, dude next to him got absolutely nothing. Lucky guy offered to switch rigs (it was all loaners), then proceeded to haul in more cod on the formerly unlucky pole.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

InitialDave posted:

I know in the US there are rules about what safety kit you need at certain ETs, I assumed it was something like that. I'm not actually sure what the UK rules are.

Quote from Mechanical Stig -

Car's also not passed tech inspection to go past 10.5 yet. So whie it's got the gear, it hasnt got the sticker to say it's fine

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

gimpsuitjones posted:

What's up with 3rd gen Supras? They seem oddly affordable for old RWD Japanese cars in NZ.

second question: is the 1G-GTE any good?

1G-GTE is not enough engine to get these cars moving. Also the version of the car that engine comes in is the narrowbody which looks loving weird. 'standard' is the widebody on 7MGE, 7MGTE, 1JZ versions.

narrowbody 1G:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Someone isnt going to like this.... buuuut (apologies in advace )

Fat heavy turds in their day, years have not been kind to them to say the least.

^^ also accurate. Source: I own one with the 7M which as mentioned does indeed eat head gaskets. I had the head on mine worked over and fitted a metal head gasket along with ARP bolts and then a week later beat the poo poo out of it on a track so it's solid now. Head reassembly is annoying as the spaces to actual fit the bolts and such are tiny so you essentially have to assemble the bolts as you're putting the head on. Very heavy cars as standard, as mentioned they're a GT car but find a solid one and they're actually a really nice drive though the stock suspension is soft and has massive amounts of travel so it rolls hilariously round corners though it takes serious effort to get it to lose grip. And never touch an auto (same goes for any car really), the W58 and R154 boxes are agricultural at best, notchy and not smooth but definitely solid. Also these have a lot of brake disc because they're fat but not quite enough caliper to stop them quickly.

If you can grab one for not much money and don't mind the possibility of the head going up on you then go ahead. Parts availability in the US is still pretty great with nothing being too stupid money wise. Also straight 6 noises are good times no matter what the car. Pre-facelift (as in the bumper on the photo above) is the best looking.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Wrar posted:

The Gorester is a finicky beast. And it rides really nicely.
As I said on slack, glad it stayed in the AI family. I'd recommend chopping the rear roof and turning it into a pickup truck but I have a boner for strange car based trucks.

Enourmo posted:

~~real poo poo~~ post incoming, heads up.
:glomp: vent all you want this is the place for it. Feel free to PM me if you need someone to talk to. As Boaz said, be there for them if they need it whether it's helping with things or just being a shoulder to cry on.

Got the guest room rearranged and turned into the 'cardio room of doom' this weekend, sadly it meant the race bike moved out to the garage. Managed to keep the simulator tucked in the corner.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Busy weekend! Got all of the ground floor walls in the shed insulated and clad!

First step was to make some more room in the shed, so the BFG AT's for the cruiser had to go up onto the mezzanine. Things are about 50kg each fitted up so had to get creative on the lifting solution...

With that all the materials were stacked up ready to go, and the great poo poo shuffle dance began.

I should stop buying batteries. Apparently I have enough.

Finished running the air lines inside the wall. Using 3/4" Blue line Poly. Its rated to 1600kpa!

Then we got to play itch like a motherfucker and insulated the thing. Because the walls got a 70mm thick wall from the shed frame and a 90mm stud wall in front of it, we insulated both walls to get more soundproofing since this is the machinery shop end.

And finally after three solid days work, its all finished off. I went back later and fitted up the network port after i found it in my stash of crap in the office.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

the spyder posted:

It's a little risky but there are companies that will register it in Vermont or another non title state that you can then use in another. Actually you may just be able to do it yourself. If the story is accurate your unlikely to have issues.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Ah, so that's what that noise was.

Note the weird wear on the corner tread near the missing chunk:

That was also the tire that had a slow leak, so I guess this was why.

Fortunately, we were about 1/4 mile from home when the chunks started flying.
A visit to Discount Tire is in the near future, if I can manage to get in before work. Fortunately, I've still got good tires on the original steelies handy to fill the gap.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So, my dad has decided he wants to get a "sports car." And by that it sounds like he means a comfortable convertible to drive up to the lake. Budget is $15k. Not sure about the transmission - if he's going to be driving it only, he wants a manual, but if my mom is going to drive it at all it has to be an automatic. So that's an open question.

Is the answer here 'Miata?' What else could he look at? Z4s? SLKs?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

At 15k you might be able to get a newish Camaro or Mustang convertible.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Is he just looking to cruise around? NC Miata might fit the bill. Maybe a convertible Mustang or Camaro?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
What was the date code on that tire? The tread looks great and that kind of failure just shouldn't happen.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

CornHolio posted:

So, my dad has decided he wants to get a "sports car." And by that it sounds like he means a comfortable convertible to drive up to the lake. Budget is $15k. Not sure about the transmission - if he's going to be driving it only, he wants a manual, but if my mom is going to drive it at all it has to be an automatic. So that's an open question.

Is the answer here 'Miata?' What else could he look at? Z4s? SLKs?

s2000 also fits the bill.

vvvv Operating under the assumption manual only was the way to go. vvvv

Beverly Cleavage fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 12, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Beverly Cleavage posted:

s2000 also fits the bill.

Auto S2K? Was that ever a thing? If so, why? The manual boxes on those things are incredible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Mondays can eat my rear end.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Rhyno posted:

Mondays can eat my rear end.

Get in line

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

slothrop posted:

Get in line

I ain't the one lining up for the buffet. Woke up feeling really sick for the first time in over three months. Hoping it was just dinner last night as I have a ton of poo poo to do later this afternoon.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Random, but the newer Doom game is a lot of fun. I'm still getting used to it though and whenever I come up to a new area with monsters my instinct is to hold my ground and shoot mans from afar, but I get wrecked and then advance and see that I missed out on a whole bunch of powerups and health. It really is so much more fun to run and jump around but its hard to get out of the military sim mindset.

Its also pretty and runs great. Whats with all the sparks though?

Cage fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 12, 2017

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Doom 2016 is all about jumping around picking stuff up and stomping Demons in the face while listening to the awesome sound track. The sparks exist purely to kill GPUs that are not worthy of Doom 2016.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Ive never had any sort of slowdown in that game, the Vulkan support is awesome and I wish more games had it.

Cage fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 12, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BigPaddy posted:

Doom 2016 is all about jumping around picking stuff up and stomping Demons in the face while listening to the awesome sound track. The sparks exist purely to kill GPUs that are not worthy of Doom 2016.

This exactly. New doom is awesome and fun. Never stop moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Add me to the sick on Monday club. I woke up early this morning spraying out both ends. So far have been able to keep a glass of sprite down, anything else leads to more spraying.

I hope this goes away quickly.

• Locked thread