Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

nope alvarez brought that up and it didnt rate a comment from dave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Super No Vacancy posted:

I remember Meltzer got wierded out when Cornette got fired from TNA years ago for threatening to kill Russo

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Super No Vacancy posted:

that's not true

he commented "I don't even want to talk about that"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Jim Cornette is a member of the Black Dragon Fighting Society so he is honor bound to do that.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Jim Cornette seems to have an anger problem. He has an absolute :stare: of a story about his dealings with Terry Landel, a Tennessee outlaw promoter

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jason Sextro posted:

Jim Cornette seems to have an anger problem. He has an absolute :stare: of a story about his dealings with Terry Landel, a Tennessee outlaw promoter

There are a lot of :stare: stories relating to Jim's anger issues. Him calling a security guard a friend of the family (and then explaining that where he's from, you call a person the worst thing you can think of to get under their skin, which doesn't really help his case) out of frustration with a decision the guard had made, the Dairy Queen story (I actually get why he was angry, but he went loving nuclear on what amounts to incompetency/apathy from a fast food employee, which given how much Jim loves the stuff, you'd think he'd be used to), the Russo/Ferrara obsession (again, understandable that he was angry, especially Ferrara, but Jesus loving Christ, Jim). The absolutely vile poo poo he's said about the families of the Young Bucks and Omega over what amounts to a difference in philosophy. What bugs me about that in particular is that it's not like he's building to a Wargames match with these guys or something. There's no blowoff. And, to top it off, a lot of the juiciest clips get uploaded to Youtube for free anyways, which cuts into whatever Patreon money he's making off of this. I think the latest indication this is a gimmick to make Jim some money is his Omega ripoff shirt that says "Thank You, gently caress You, Bye".

We've talked on these boards about how the "Paul Heyman is godlike booker" trope is a big fallacy and I don't disagree (and I say that as somebody who fell for his smoke and mirrors a bunch when I was younger). But I think the "Jim Cornette is an elder statesman who understands wrestling better than his peers, and deals in common sense" is one we need to put to bed, too. Just watch him book the Invasion and count how many times you roll your eyes at how loving dumb his ideas are.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 12, 2017

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What bugs me about that in particular is that it's not like he's building to a Wargames match with these guys or something. There's no blowoff.
Dave said in the newsletter Jim tried to get the Bucks to do something with him and they declined. This was probably before the ROH contract.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Dave said in the newsletter Jim tried to get the Bucks to do something with him and they declined. This was probably before the ROH contract.

The Bucks confirmed it on Twitter. They said after the poo poo he said about their families, there was no loving way it was happening, and I don't really blame them.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
He's tricky because he's a logical guy. So he can proceed from one irrational or inane premise with good argumentative structure and it fools some people into thinking he makes sense or has wisdom.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Captain Magic posted:

He's tricky because he's a logical guy. So he can proceed from one irrational or inane premise with good argumentative structure and it fools some people into thinking he makes sense or has wisdom.

Yeah he is a carny through and through.

Roque11
Aug 7, 2016
I think Russo and Cornette are both working everybody. They are probably working together on this "feud" so they can keep getting people to talk about them. Everything that people can see or hear in wrestling is all storyline. I bet when nobody is around Russo and Cornette are communicating with one another laughing about how they're working everybody and how they are not in wrestling anymore, yet they can get people to talk about them more so than anybody else.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Personally I don't think Cornette would pal around with somebody who went out of his way to get him fired, but that's just me.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Bryan spent his birthday party repeatedly beating 8 year-old children at dodgeball

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Based on WOR Omega/Okada is getting seven stars.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

rovert posted:

Based on WOR Omega/Okada is getting seven stars.

I think Okada/Tanahashi at WK10 was better than Okada/Omega but not by much, and mostly because I was there live. I think Okada/Omega II may have been better than both (it's hard to beat having been there live for WK10 though), it's crazy how good it was.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

exploded mummy posted:

Bryan spent his birthday party repeatedly beating 8 year-old children at dodgeball

Until the well-timed Dusty Finish in the 3rd game

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

dsriggs posted:

Until the well-timed Dusty Finish in the 3rd game

Nah that's just Bryan being a dumbass, that rule has been in dodgeball forever.

gently caress it even was in the movie Dodgeball.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Dave and Jim are friends so it's either a friend super disappointed in another's actions or he's helping the work along

Considering that Jim (a guy who's view of modern wrestling was formed through clips people on Twitter send him) specifically calls Dave out for being a fan of PWG, I'd bet it was disappointment.

Captain Magic posted:

Jim Cornette's cool once you realize that he's willing to work if the work will make long term money AND he's a nerd with a very specific view of the business that gets super hurt when somebody challenges him.

Which is why he'd be willing to work with the Young Bucks if it could get him a payday but he refuses to even speak to Kevin Steen since Steen hurt his feelings in a shoot by calling him out of touch.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

The irony here is literally the only places on the planet where Jim Cornette could even conceivably be a "draw" are places where he'd get lynched if he actually talked about religion and politics the way he does on the podcast

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian

There are a lot of :stare: stories relating to Jim's anger issues. Him calling a security guard a friend of the family (and then explaining that where he's from, you call a person the worst thing you can think of to get under their skin, which doesn't really help his case) out of frustration with a decision the guard had made, the Dairy Queen story (I actually get why he was angry, but he went loving nuclear on what amounts to incompetency/apathy from a fast food employee, which given how much Jim loves the stuff, you'd think he'd be used to), the Russo/Ferrara obsession (again, understandable that he was angry, especially Ferrara, but Jesus loving Christ, Jim). The absolutely vile poo poo he's said about the families of the Young Bucks and Omega over what amounts to a difference in philosophy. What bugs me about that in particular is that it's not like he's building to a Wargames match with these guys or something. There's no blowoff. And, to top it off, a lot of the juiciest clips get uploaded to Youtube for free anyways, which cuts into whatever Patreon money he's making off of this. I think the latest indication this is a gimmick to make Jim some money is his Omega ripoff shirt that says "Thank You, gently caress You, Bye".

We've talked on these boards about how the "Paul Heyman is godlike booker" trope is a big fallacy and I don't disagree (and I say that as somebody who fell for his smoke and mirrors a bunch when I was younger). But I think the "Jim Cornette is an elder statesman who understands wrestling better than his peers, and deals in common sense" is one we need to put to bed, too. Just watch him book the Invasion and count how many times you roll your eyes at how loving dumb his ideas are.

i've said before and i'll said it again, jim cornette is mentally ill and never worked a real job in his life, so to him, his temper is something outside of him that other people put in him. he's not been crushed by regular labor, and is treated like an elder statesman because he is one of the better talents in wrestling. Who he is as a person is why he doesn't have a job anymore, though, and the story of him spitting in ed ferrarra's face to try to start a fight is legitimately one of the most cowardly things I've listened to.

jim is always going to be an rear end in a top hat until he can take responsibility for his anger and stop trying to make excuses like a child for his language, and he won't because it's made him lots of cash and devoted fans.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

i've said before and i'll said it again, jim cornette is mentally ill and never worked a real job in his life, so to him, his temper is something outside of him that other people put in him. he's not been crushed by regular labor, and is treated like an elder statesman because he is one of the better talents in wrestling. Who he is as a person is why he doesn't have a job anymore, though, and the story of him spitting in ed ferrarra's face to try to start a fight is legitimately one of the most cowardly things I've listened to.

jim is always going to be an rear end in a top hat until he can take responsibility for his anger and stop trying to make excuses like a child for his language, and he won't because it's made him lots of cash and devoted fans.

It makes sense he's like that since he came up in tough locker rooms where his only real defense was puffing up at guys that could beat the poo poo out of him. But the reason he doesn't have a job anymore is because he gets way too personally invested. People are willing to put up with his bullshit if it meant he'll work himself to death for the product. Steen even mentioned that the Ring Of Honor people tried to stay on good terms with him after his final meltdown because they thought they could bring him back.

(but I also thought it was hilarious that, in jim's hosed up mind, spitting in somebody's face so you can punch them back is a way to keep your word about not punching them in the face so idk. maybe i'm a cornette apologist)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Early check for 2017 WON Awards::

Are there any front runners for Best Gimmick? Last year Broken Matt had everyone in the dust nothing even came close, this years a bit more nothing really totally standing out. The sole exception I can think of is Marty Scurll, who unless anyone knows anything else seems to be the only one who should win it.

And while writing this thought of Tetsuya Naito "really loving hates belts" as a gimmick.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Lid posted:

Are there any front runners for Best Gimmick? Last year Broken Matt had everyone in the dust nothing even came close, this years a bit more nothing really totally standing out. The sole exception I can think of is Marty Scurll, who unless anyone knows anything else seems to be the only one who should win it.

And while writing this thought of Tetsuya Naito "really loving hates belts" as a gimmick.

La Mascara hates cars.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Lid posted:

Noam Dar and Alicia Fox.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Fashion Police.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

cronox2 posted:

Fashion Police.
:hellyeah:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Maybe X-Pakistan? I kinda love silly tribute gimmicks, though.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Jerusalem posted:

I think Okada/Tanahashi at WK10 was better than Okada/Omega but not by much, and mostly because I was there live. I think Okada/Omega II may have been better than both (it's hard to beat having been there live for WK10 though), it's crazy how good it was.

*sigh* I need to re-up my NJPW subscription, don't I.

EugeneJ posted:

I remember Meltzer got wierded out when Cornette got fired from TNA years ago for threatening to kill Russo

I can't remember which Kevin Steen/Owens shoot it was where he was talking about his ROH days where TV production people would come in for some shows, see Cornette being a crazy ranting weirdo, and how embarassed Kevin was to have say that he was the boss.

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

Professionalism indeed does not seem like his long suit.
Plus yeah, he can talk sense, but it's actually not too hard to say WWE has substantial business and booking issues that are harming them in many ways not being addressed. Most people with an observer sub can give a reasonable run-down on that.

Roque11
Aug 7, 2016

HulkaMatt posted:

Personally I don't think Cornette would pal around with somebody who went out of his way to get him fired, but that's just me.

People never thought Bret Hart would ever return to WWE either. Did anybody ever see Eric Bischoff working for Vince?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Jim Cornette spent years using his mouth to get nuclear heat for all sorts of wrestlers, and you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Mouthing off and heeling it up are all he knows

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

cronox2 posted:

Fashion Police.

It's this.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Jim Cornette slowly worked himself into a shoot over time.

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

Best gimmick is by far Ticking Time Bomb.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

El Perico Zacarias (or the CMLL mascots as a group) should be the front runner. The mascots drew a full house in Arena Mexico and he's always one of the most entertaining parts of CMLL shows.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Jim Cornette slowly worked himself into a shoot over time.

#ShootWeek is a lifestyle.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Roque11 posted:

People never thought Bret Hart would ever return to WWE either. Did anybody ever see Eric Bischoff working for Vince?

Money talks. Russo isn't making Cornette any money.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 12, 2017

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Roque11 posted:

After WCW died pretty much everyone did.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Bischoff was always going to come crawling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

After WCW died pretty much everyone did.

The Vince flowchart is roughly

1. Will it make me money
2. If it makes me money will I get to humiliate someone who slighted me
3. If I can make money and humiliate a person did that person gently caress Stephanie
4. If they didn't gently caress Stephanie let's get this poo poo done

• Locked thread