Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Something confused me--Laura released the cab driver like he was a djinn under some kind of compact; we know he isn't one, so what's up with that? And I thought he was getting something out of all this too? I thought Sweeney was also guiding him to the djinn he was in love with, so why would he split up with them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Argue posted:

Something confused me--Laura released the cab driver like he was a djinn under some kind of compact; we know he isn't one, so what's up with that? And I thought he was getting something out of all this too? I thought Sweeney was also guiding him to the djinn he was in love with, so why would he split up with them?

He was getting the location of the djinn which Sweeney slipped to Laura and then told him, at which point he buggered off cause he didn't really like Sweeney.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

The Misadventures of oval office and rear end in a top hat really needs to be a spinoff

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
This is probably my favorite Swearingin scene.

https://youtu.be/6QbEzCoTafU

Good episode even if it had a lack of Wednesday. The horrifically comic mid adventures of Mad Sweeney and Dead Wife made up for it. I really liked the parallels to take between essie and dead wife and having mad Sweeney play a role in each of them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Argue posted:

I thought that was oddly phrased too, they made a big deal out of it, "I release you".

But like Genocyber said, he wanted to know where the djinn was, and they told him, so he left because he got what he wanted already.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

GonSmithe posted:

It's because it's an American show and Americans can't even tell the difference between an English accent and an Australian accent.

Not that that makes it better for native speakers, but that's the reason.

Emily Browning who plays Laura is Australian :v:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Emily Browning who plays Laura is Australian :v:

Her Irish was pretty drat good.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

They needed to get the reveal in about what he was responsible for somehow. It worked as a fully contained story too and I liked it for what it was.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I liked the ep, but it's disappointing to take it this slow in an 8 episode season. Isn't that the 2nd ep with very little to none of Wednesday, and that's 1/4 of the season!

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

The glacial pacing doesn't really bother me. Hannibal season two mostly consisted of people metaphorically fishing. This is nothing. :smug:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, I don't really care that the main action hasn't progressed a lot. If I hadn't read the book I might not even notice it too much.

Besides, Schreiber and Browning are really, really good together, so it's a fun watch.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

The Misadventures of oval office and rear end in a top hat really needs to be a spinoff

Call it "The tainted couple"

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

Her Irish was pretty drat good.

Our accents are always pretty drat good.

It's actually something to do with how our tongue sits in our mouth when we speak, it makes it easier to put on other accents while making it a bastard to learn how to speak with any sort of Australian accent. I mean I can sympathise with a person who feels a bit jarred when everyone has some sort of Dublin accent when playing Irish characters, but at least they can pass for a native of the country. There are basically three Australian accents, and nobody seems to be able to pull off one.

That been said, Robert Downey Jr. is actually pretty good.

Rougey fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 12, 2017

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rougey posted:

There are three primary Australian accents, and nobody seems to be able to pull off one.

My kingdom for a character with a russian accent that actually pronounces russian words correctly.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, I don't really care that the main action hasn't progressed a lot. If I hadn't read the book I might not even notice it too much.

Besides, Schreiber and Browning are really, really good together, so it's a fun watch.

I haven't read the book and I do mind the pacing.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

iv46vi posted:

Call it "The tainted couple"

Or "Open Relationship"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The main annoyance for me in the fact that next week is the finale is that they did a lot of promo material for two characters who have not even been in the season aside from one of them having one scene (Mr. Nancy). And they announced casting for really exciting characters but I guess they're not in this season at all :confused:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

precision posted:

The main annoyance for me in the fact that next week is the finale is that they did a lot of promo material for two characters who have not even been in the season aside from one of them having one scene (Mr. Nancy). And they announced casting for really exciting characters but I guess they're not in this season at all :confused:

The season was originally ten episodes long, but they had to make two episodes worth of reshoots to fix problems with earlier episodes. Hence the current version of the show.

(That's also why several of the credited regulars have been in two or fewer episodes this season. Crispin Glover's been in only one!)

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

MiddleOne posted:

I haven't read the book and I do mind the pacing.

Ok. I have and I don't.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

LesterGroans posted:

Ok. I have and I don't.

I'm glad we could clarify this so soon in the relationship.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

The book is slow af anyway.

I liked this episode but I would have liked it better if it wasn't the second to last.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

MiddleOne posted:

I'm glad we could clarify this so soon in the relationship.

Now steal us an ice cream truck.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Plucky Brit posted:

It would be hilarious if that happens with an English character at some point; they're a Scouser as a kid, a Cockney when they're old, but the character is supposed to be from Derby.
I might not be remembering this correctly, but I'm pretty sure the main character in You're The Worst speaks RP, has a posh double barrelled surname but was born and raised in working class Manchester to a family of cockneys.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Gorn Myson posted:

I might not be remembering this correctly, but I'm pretty sure the main character in You're The Worst speaks RP, has a posh double barrelled surname but was born and raised in working class Manchester to a family of cockneys.

Pretty much.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Gorn Myson posted:

I thought it was pretty heavily implied that Jimmy's posh accent is a complete put-on because he is, in fact, a trashman from a trashfamily, but I could be remembering wrong.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

The season was originally ten episodes long, but they had to make two episodes worth of reshoots to fix problems with earlier episodes. Hence the current version of the show.

(That's also why several of the credited regulars have been in two or fewer episodes this season. Crispin Glover's been in only one!)

Ah, I did not know not that, thanks. Do you know why they had to reshoot?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Johnny Truant posted:

Ah, I did not know not that, thanks. Do you know why they had to reshoot?

Bunch of small reasons, from what I understand. The original set for Jack's Crocodile Bar was apparently a godawful piece of poo poo, and they ended up rebuilding nearly the entire thing and refilming all the scenes from the first episode. The original Djinn sex scene apparently looked really bad, and they had to redo that as well. And I understand that there was an episode in the middle of the season that would have intergrated some of the Laura flashback episode, but that was scrapped because everyone thought it was absolutely awful, and they instead decided to bulk out the Laura stuff into an entire episode.

They also spent a lot of time and money scouting a location that they didn't end up using this season, but they're apparently moving some of that to next year so it's not completely wasted.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Nothing will ever be as bad as the stuffed tiger in Hannibal season 3

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Soothing Vapors posted:

I thought it was pretty heavily implied that Jimmy's posh accent is a complete put-on because he is, in fact, a trashman from a trashfamily, but I could be remembering wrong.

Yeah Jimmy dealing with his lovely heritage was a pretty big part of the most recent season. Not as well done as Gretchen's depression but it did also get less space to use.

edit: As much as I love Hannibal, I wish Bryan Fuller et al. had used that one Manhunter tiger scene shot from the Manhunter/Red Dragon moviefight thread. I'm on mobile right now but the OP commented on one shot that really emphasized how jealous Francis was of the tiger's virility.

Mameluke fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 12, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Mameluke posted:

edit: As much as I love Hannibal, I wish Bryan Fuller et al. had used that one Manhunter tiger scene shot from the Manhunter/Red Dragon moviefight thread. I'm on mobile right now but the OP commented on one shot that really emphasized how jealous Francis was of the tiger's virility.

It's a fantastic shot, but I think the TV series wanted to achieve something different. In the film, Francis is struggling with self-loathing (demonstrated by him being jealous of both the vet and the tiger) while simultaneously experiencing love.

In the TV show I think they wanted his budding romance with Reba to be more positive at first (TV Francis jizzes his pants when TV Reba touches TV tiger's tooth, giving him hope that he doesn't have to be ashamed of his mouth anymore) and then yanked away from him later.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 12, 2017

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rougey posted:

Our accents are always pretty drat good.

It's actually something to do with how our tongue sits in our mouth when we speak, it makes it easier to put on other accents while making it a bastard to learn how to speak with any sort of Australian accent. I mean I can sympathise with a person who feels a bit jarred when everyone has some sort of Dublin accent when playing Irish characters, but at least they can pass for a native of the country. There are basically three Australian accents, and nobody seems to be able to pull off one.

That been said, Robert Downey Jr. is actually pretty good.

Yeah, If they tried to rock a 18th century culchie accent, it'd be a mess, stick with the classics, Nordy/Dublin.

I live in sydney and work in rural QLD. The accents are a loving right off past the QLD border. The entire state sounds exactly the same.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

It's a fantastic shot, but I think the TV series wanted to achieve something different. In the film, Francis is struggling with self-loathing (demonstrated by him being jealous of both the vet and the tiger) while simultaneously experiencing love.

In the TV show I think they wanted his budding romance with Reba to be more positive at first (TV Francis jizzes his pants when TV Reba touches TV tiger's tooth, giving him hope that he doesn't have to be ashamed of his mouth anymore) and then yanked away from him later.

What the gently caress TV show are you talking about? Is it American Gods?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah, you can't really see it in that shot, but she's actually fondling its balls. Make of that what you will.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 12, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tigren posted:

Hannibal, which was brought up like five posts ago

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

Hannibal, which was brought up like five posts ago

Is there not a Hannibal thread?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

Hes called Jimmy Shive-Overly, so I assume he was born James Shive-Overly, which is the sort of name you normally read and think "hes either an MP or a cricketer".

I don't think hes hiding anything, I think its more that the writers went with this very scattershot representation of Britain (which I think is deliberate) so hes simultaneously posh and cockney.

Besides, why put the accent on in America? Non-RP British accents do way better with Americans. As a consummate shagger, he should know this by now.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Tigren posted:

Tigren posted:

Sometimes if you follow a discussion thread, there are these things called tangents, when an off-topic discussion occurs. It might be a frightening concept for some readers because it looks like the discussion they were following has disappeared from in front of their very eyes. Readers should not be concerned as tangents are usually harmless and temporary, and within a couple posts the original discussion will return. This concept may be particularly difficult to grasp for those who are still developing object permanence. Think of it like the commercial break that happens several times during your television programming; much like your original television program returning after a minute of commercials, discussion of the main topic will be back soon after a couple posts, no need to worry.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Tigren posted:

The conversation went from "bad things that needed to be reshot in American Gods" to "bad tiger that should have been reshot in Hannibal, a similar work from the same content producer" to "an innocuous comment about the bad tiger in Hannibal that we were literally just talking about" This was fairly easy for me to follow even as someone who does not give a gently caress about Hannibal tigers. Get a grip.

Gorn Myson posted:

Hes called Jimmy Shive-Overly, so I assume he was born James Shive-Overly, which is the sort of name you normally read and think "hes either an MP or a cricketer".

I don't think hes hiding anything, I think its more that the writers went with this very scattershot representation of Britain (which I think is deliberate) so hes simultaneously posh and cockney.

Besides, why put the accent on in America? Non-RP British accents do way better with Americans. As a consummate shagger, he should know this by now.
I will concede that it is entirely possible I am 100% wrong on this one

Steve Yun posted:

Sometimes if you follow a discussion thread, there are these things called tangents, when an off-topic discussion occurs. It might be a frightening concept for some readers because it looks like the discussion they were following has disappeared from in front of their very eyes. Readers should not be concerned as tangents are usually harmless and temporary, and within a couple posts the original discussion will return. This concept may be particularly difficult to grasp for those who are still developing object permanence. Think of it like the commercial break that happens several times during your television programming; much like your original television program returning after a minute of commercials, discussion of the main topic will be back soon after a couple posts, no need to worry.
lmaooooo

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

That's a cool condescending tone you've taken there. Does American Gods have commercials where you watch it? If the tiger needs multiple posts for discussion, maybe it's better suited for the Hannibal thread and not the thread for American Gods, the show from the same guy as another show. Or maybe you can find some bad tigers in American Gods and talk about it here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Tigren posted:

That's a cool condescending tone you've taken there. Does American Gods have commercials where you watch it? If the tiger needs multiple posts for discussion, maybe it's better suited for the Hannibal thread and not the thread for American Gods, the show from the same guy as another show. Or maybe you can find some bad tigers in American Gods and talk about it here.

Isn't there a thread for incessant bitching about inconsequential things you can take this to?