Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

ConfusedUs posted:

That's fair, but PA lets you k turn or tallon roll, then boost BEFORE getting the stress.

So if you boost into range one of something you shed the stress due to his pilot ability.

Primed thrusters lets you boost too, but after you get the stress. So unless you're in range one after executing the maneuver, you're keeping that stress token.

On the other hand, it means I can use stressbot at r1-r2 if my shots weren't perfect first go round?

I mean, matter of taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Thanks for the replies all. Are there YouTube battle reports or something I should watch that actually explain what's happening. I more or less understand the rules, but I'm not good at figuring out why a particular list is better then another. It would be nice to see some games played out where they explain how everything interacts.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

bunnyofdoom posted:

On the other hand, it means I can use stressbot at r1-r2 if my shots weren't perfect first go round?

I mean, matter of taste.

I'm not sure I follow?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Funzo posted:

Thanks for the replies all. Are there YouTube battle reports or something I should watch that actually explain what's happening. I more or less understand the rules, but I'm not good at figuring out why a particular list is better then another. It would be nice to see some games played out where they explain how everything interacts.

Check out Team Covenant. Their content is leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else, but they don't post many videos for X-Wing specifically. You'll find lots of non-Xwing stuff on their channel too. They even explain lists at the beginning and point out the non-obvious interactions, something that you rarely see from others.

Look up Trinity Squad Gaming once you've gone through TC's stuff. They're better than anyone other than TC, and they come close to TC's quality. Plus they have a TON of videos. They don't explain everything like TC does though.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Funzo posted:

Trinity Squad Gaming is probably the best for that. The videos do speed-ups for the boring bits, and edit in post to have the players describe what was going on and why they built how they did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLsH8LWdwXQ

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm not sure I follow?

Basically, with Primed Thrusters, if I get a stress (either from stressbot using or outside sources) I don't have to dial in a green next round to use my abilities (Or if I end up double stressed)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Basically, with Primed Thrusters, if I get a stress (either from stressbot using or outside sources) I don't have to dial in a green next round to use my abilities (Or if I end up double stressed)

I see where you're going with that.

I think the loss of PA really hurts you after the initial joust. With it, you can virtually guarantee the ability to turn around every single turn. Makes Nien a mean little arc dodger, especially since you can T-Roll to get into their blind spots with ease.

However, Black One might be worth it to shed locks against alpha strike lists.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

When checking the warehouse availability of items through the largest US distributor, it's out of stock across the board and has a note on its SKU to "see SKU for TFA Core set". Historically, this has meant a phase-out of that particular SKU in favor of whatever other SKU they're referencing, whether it's something entirely different or an updated replacement (e.g. Warmachine/Hordes pewter-to-plastic updates).

Historically this distributor also doesn't necessarily have it's poo poo together, but it's​ notable especially considering the exclusive deal this distributor brokered with Asmodee NA and announced last week.

It could be nothing, but it's not common for them to make a note to reference another SKU in their system like that.

Emphasis mine. As a follow-up, we confirmed what the deal was with the distributor--it was a mistake on their end, and Original Core Set is coming back in print (I think it's even On The Boat now).

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Guys, I can't find anything too broken with this homebrew. Help

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
A forced barrel roll on that Y-wing is an interesting concept.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
That Astro that makes all maneuvers white is kind of dumb. Like, I get where they're coming from, but hell anything that causes stress, unless Kanan is on the team, you're just keeping it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I like a lot of those ideas, actually.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Forced Barrel Roll is interesting and the X-Wings fixes all look fine.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I think the deflector shields should have something like "until you are hit by an attack this turn" caveat to the bonus die. Getting an extra green for two points, even if it's slightly situational, seems TOO good, but maybe I'm wrong. And it's thematic, sorta--when you're hit the shields are depleted until they can recharge a bit.

e: particularly if viewed in light of the T-65B title which is dropping costs already

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 12, 2017

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

overdesigned posted:

I think the deflector shields should have something like "until you are hit by an attack this turn" caveat to the bonus die. Getting an extra green for two points, even if it's slightly situational, seems TOO good, but maybe I'm wrong. And it's thematic, sorta--when you're hit the shields are depleted until they can recharge a bit.

At that point it's like a stealth device you can re-use.

I don't think the two-cost is too much. That's how much Lightweight Frame costs for a very similar effect.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Fair--it could probably go either way, really. And it's not like the X- and Y- wings don't need all the help they can get right now.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

enigmahfc posted:

That Astro that makes all maneuvers white is kind of dumb. Like, I get where they're coming from, but hell anything that causes stress, unless Kanan is on the team, you're just keeping it.

Sure, there's a lot of risk, but at the same time white K-Turns if you can avoid stress is a hell of a reward. It would also make Jek Porkins worth using, which is amazing in its own right.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

overdesigned posted:

Fair--it could probably go either way, really. And it's not like the X- and Y- wings don't need all the help they can get right now.

What's wrong with y-wings? TLT Y-wings and Stresshogs are everywhere.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Raged posted:

What's wrong with y-wings? TLT Y-wings and Stresshogs are everywhere.

Rebel Y-Wings are only fielded because TLT and R3-A2, generics only. The named pilots are almost never used, and neither is any other turret besides a TLT.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

That being said, I had super great time with Horton with a tlt and expertise tonight.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Y-Wings are fun and I had a blast flying Dutch at a OT-Themed tournament. Went 3-1!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I just want a Rebel Y-Wing with a native EPT, is that too much to ask :argh:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I just want a Rebel Y-Wing with a native EPT, is that too much to ask :argh:

Yes.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
If you look at most of the ships there is usually only one maybe two pilots that are considered "good"

VikingPenguin
Nov 6, 2005

Raged posted:

If you look at most of the ships there is usually only one maybe two pilots that are considered "good"

Exceptions are those with zero and the Jumpmaster, unless I am missing something.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I would think the TIE Fighter has got to have one of the best good to bad pilot ratios in the game.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

AndyElusive posted:

I would think the TIE Fighter has got to have one of the best good to bad pilot ratios in the game.

Not really. There are a bazillion TIE fighters and still only a few good pilots.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I feel like other than Chaser, I've seen nearly every TIE pilot used to some success at some point.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Also, on that note:

I really wish FFG would get in the habit of making the best pilot ability NOT be on the pilot with the highest pilot skill. It would help prevent PS races and might lead to a greater variety of pilots flown for each ship.

The Striker is a pretty good example: Sabacc has the best ability, but the second highest pilot skill. Ryad in the TIE Defender also fits this bill.

But then you take something like the Interceptor, or the T70, or the Decimator, or whatever, and you find that 90% of playtime is with the top pilot who has the highest pilot skill AND the best pilot ability.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

Also, on that note:

I really wish FFG would get in the habit of making the best pilot ability NOT be on the pilot with the highest pilot skill. It would help prevent PS races and might lead to a greater variety of pilots flown for each ship.

The Striker is a pretty good example: Sabacc has the best ability, but the second highest pilot skill. Ryad in the TIE Defender also fits this bill.

But then you take something like the Interceptor, or the T70, or the Decimator, or whatever, and you find that 90% of playtime is with the top pilot who has the highest pilot skill AND the best pilot ability.

Yeah, those are two good examples. Vessery is PS6 and is either the best or second best Defender behind Ryad.
Backdraft has, in my opinion, the best ability of the SFs. If I'm taking Quickdraw, it's because I need the PS boost.
I'd also nominate Ghost Kanan, Attack Shuttle Sabine/Ezra, Palob Godalhi, Captain Rex, and Asajj as "not the highest PS skill, but the best in their ships". It's happening more with recent stuff.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, those are two good examples. Vessery is PS6 and is either the best or second best Defender behind Ryad.
Backdraft has, in my opinion, the best ability of the SFs. If I'm taking Quickdraw, it's because I need the PS boost.
I'd also nominate Ghost Kanan, Attack Shuttle Sabine/Ezra, Palob Godalhi, Captain Rex, and Asajj as "not the highest PS skill, but the best in their ships". It's happening more with recent stuff.

Yeah, and that's great, but then you have Fenn Rau, Dengar, Nora, and a few others from the same waves (Palob excepted, he's old as gently caress). So it's definitely not a rule they follow. Unfortunately.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

My wife didn't believe me that I never saw Star Wars toys in stores when I was a kid. I was born in 86, and I can't remember there being any Star Wars merchandise available until around the Special Edition re-release in 1997, and I also remember that a bunch of the kids in my classes at elementary school had never seen a Star Wars movie and some had never even heard of it.

Google backs me up. Kenner stopped making toys in 1985, and Hasbro started again in 1995/6. She has a brother who was action-figure buying age in 1997, so she had just assumed that they always existed. There was a weird 10 year Star Wars dark age in between the frenzy when the movies were first released to the rerelease and prequels, but now there will probably be Star Wars merchandise sold through the end of time.

She observed that now, as an adult who plays X-Wing Miniatures, I have a whole bunch of Star Wars toys. Cool.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I am either blessed or cursed to have lived in an age where Star Wars toys always existed.

My friends and I used to run around pretending to be starfighters in middle school. I was the Y-wing because I was the slower (read: fat kid) one. So we really didn't need toys, but we had them.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

95/96 is right around the time I actually saw the movies for the first time, so it worked out great when I wanted to get figures.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

All i remember from that age is having Lando in RotJ bounty hunter outift and an AT-ST driver (or black guy in armor and guy in boring cloths to my 6yr old self). They used to fight each other on the school bus and i was jealous of some other kids GI joes because their legs and arms had joints and could do sick fighting poses while mine couldnt.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I had me a Kenner TIE Interceptor and TIE Fighter with gun lights and the pop off wings. When you pushed the button to separate them from the center cockpit ball those things went flying off. I remember triggering them on the playground one time when I was next to some kid and blasting him in the face with a solar panel. I also had an AT-ST with the mechanized walker legs up till a few years ago when I gave it to the kid of a friend.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Chill la Chill posted:

I am either blessed or cursed to have lived in an age where Star Wars toys always existed.

My friends and I used to run around pretending to be starfighters in middle school. I was the Y-wing because I was the slower (read: fat kid) one. So we really didn't need toys, but we had them.

Missed opportunity for the Y-wing kid to be Porkins.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

jubelio posted:

please hit me up, username @ gmail I would love to get my hands on a K

You have an email inbound.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

¡Dios mío! :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom