Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
I imagine people have mentioned this already? DC and Maryland Attorneys General are going to be filing a lawsuit against Trump. http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nation-world/bs-md-frosh-sues-trump-20170612-story.html

quote:

The attorneys general of Maryland and the District of Columbia sued President Donald J. Trump on Monday, arguing he has violated constitutional prohibitions on accepting gifts from foreign and state governments.

The lawsuit — which comes days after the Justice Department defended the ability of Trump's real estate empire to accept those payments in a separate, similar case — alleges that the president has violated the Emoluments Clause by accepting millions of dollars in payments on properties his company owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Aurubin posted:

This was what the Saturday Night Massacre was I think. Nixon fired enough people in the chain of command at DoJ till he found a guy that would quash the Watergate case.
Hey, hey. That was "a guy" named Robert Bork.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sorus posted:

I imagine people have mentioned this already? DC and Maryland Attorneys General are going to be filing a lawsuit against Trump. http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nation-world/bs-md-frosh-sues-trump-20170612-story.html

It's basically the same theory as existing lawsuits (that businesses harmed by Trump's business have standing) and doesn't add much beyond that it is "a state". I still think they'll all get dismissed on standing/political question grounds.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Chilichimp posted:

If Sessions is formally recused from the Russia investigation, no he cannot fire Mueller.

Comey, however, cast doubt on whether Sessions actually formally recused during the hearing.

as fas as I understand it, sessions recused himself instead of formally being order to do so, so the recusal is basically his own choice and can be reversed whenever he wants.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Sorus posted:

I imagine this will go the way of the "These 15 2nd graders are filing a lawsuit against the US federal government for ignoring climate change that will impact their futures" cases

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Hey, hey. That was "a guy" named Robert Bork.

He was a proto neck beard. In a decade of terrible fashion and grooming decisions, he was especially bad.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Sessions is testifying tomorrow, correct? I think there's a good chance heads will roll in Justice later this week or next week.

Also, Spicey time in about 40min

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
sessions' justice department is actively working against his order to impose max sentences! we have proof!

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/874304660613603331

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

WeAreTheRomans posted:

E: ^^^^^^ are you seriously doing this poo poo again?

So you dont know then. Thanks for posting

Far be it from me to offer a snarky aside in this, a very serious thread.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Maybe.

The part that brings up MGM National Harbor and Bethesda North Marriott being put at a competitive disadvantage by Trump International might give it a little teeth though, yeah?

e: Just watching the PBS News Hour feed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoZg4phwy2k

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

more in the ongoing referendum on trump, within the microcosm of GA06

https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/874307899211882496

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

WeAreTheRomans posted:

E: ^^^^^^ are you seriously doing this poo poo again?

So you dont know then. Thanks for posting

I believe the official reasoning was that it was a witch hunt, taking too much attention in Washington and needed to end.

Holy poo poo, I just read about the Saturday Night Massacre and realized that Supreme Court Nominee of Reagan-era-fame, Robert Bork, was the man who accepted Nixons demand to fire the special prosecutor as acting Attorney General of the Justice Department.

I'm now super glad Bork was filibustered, it's ludicrous to have even nominated him!

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

evilweasel posted:

It's basically the same theory as existing lawsuits (that businesses harmed by Trump's business have standing) and doesn't add much beyond that it is "a state". I still think they'll all get dismissed on standing/political question grounds.

It has the advantage of being parens patriae, which may get relaxed standing requirements

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
It occurred to me yesterday that I'm actually kind of grateful that Watergate happened. Can you imagine how much worse this whole situation would be if we didn't have the precedent of Nixon getting impeached for obstructing justice? I find it really difficult to believe the current legislative branch would come to the same conclusion, especially since they seem ready to disregard it anyway if they can.

I mentioned this to someone, and he noted that 9/11 also helped out; the fallout from it included strengthening the way we handle foreign intelligence, which has been vital to catching Russia's involvement in the election. Without that, even Putin's hamhanded attempts could have succeeded.

It's a weird feeling.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

farraday posted:

I shop at Sacks off fifth.

I would say Trump is more likely to tweet that he could fire Mueller but he won't.

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/874294155257806848

With few exceptions.

What happened to dems obstructing everything he tries to do?

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Ularg posted:

It's both. Duh.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

LaserShark posted:

It occurred to me yesterday that I'm actually kind of grateful that Watergate happened. Can you imagine how much worse this whole situation would be if we didn't have the precedent of Nixon getting impeached for obstructing justice? I find it really difficult to believe the current legislative branch would come to the same conclusion, especially since they seem ready to disregard it anyway if they can.

I mentioned this to someone, and he noted that 9/11 also helped out; the fallout from it included strengthening the way we handle foreign intelligence, which has been vital to catching Russia's involvement in the election. Without that, even Putin's hamhanded attempts could have succeeded.

It's a weird feeling.

you might hope that Watergate was a vaccine against Trump's corruption, but really it just gave the nation autism

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Ularg posted:

Thus, by a continuous shifting of rhetorical blah blah blah

Actually Trump is incapable of cognitive dissonance not because he somehow suppresses the dissonance but because what he does barely counts as cognition

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sorus posted:

Maybe.

The part that brings up MGM National Harbor and Bethesda North Marriott being put at a competitive disadvantage by Trump International might give it a little teeth though, yeah?

e: Just watching the PBS News Hour feed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoZg4phwy2k

That's the same argument other people raised in their lawsuits, they got competing businesses to be the formal plaintiffs.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

evilweasel posted:

The part about the BLT hotel seems like an actual concrete issue to reasonably sue about instead of just nebulous "trump is bad, impeach him" stuff other things have tried.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Trump thinks about himself when he jerks off.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

If Ossof wins in ga-06 they'll use it as vindication of lovely third way politics, rather than the fact that it's the most expensive congressional race in history in a district that voted for Trump by 1 percentage point. Forest for the trees, etc.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/874293744442408960

Heh. The spineless scum who are willing to work for Trump deserve every one of these indignities.

https://twitter.com/glennthrush/status/874295747436564480

https://twitter.com/markknoller/status/874297177056710657

https://twitter.com/glennthrush/status/874298655896981504

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Aurubin posted:

If Ossof wins in ga-06 they'll use it as vindication of lovely third way politics, rather than the fact that it's the most expensive congressional race in history in a district that voted for Trump by 1 percentage point. Forest for the trees, etc.

hand out the oven mitts and infrared goggles my dude, the thread isn't wearing the proper PPE for this incinerating take

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Give us this day our daily Trump
And forgive us our Trumpspasses
As we forgive those who Trumpspass against us
Amen.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Whoa gently caress - it's Killer Bob from "Twin Peaks"!:stonk:

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

https://twitter.com/ACLU/status/874312023240306688

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

This is the kind of poo poo cult members would say.

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/874297130164289536

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
I also don't think Trump is capable of focusing on more than one thing at a time, so if he gets distracted by DC and MD's lawsuit that's less time he's dwelling on Mueller.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Captain Invictus posted:

Well, you might have a point, but then the creator has poo poo like this all over his twitter timeline

so I don't really think he's going to give us a truly thought-provoking take on it

Oh maaaaaan. That game looked so cool too. gently caress. Best use of pixel art i've seen in years.

At least i'll get the comedy of seeing some nerd thinking that a game about hiding from feminazi exterminator bots in the future is a serious thing.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Alter Ego posted:

I don't think it's that Trump's fat; I think it's that he's a piece of poo poo who eats crappy food because he thinks it makes the liberals mad and is doing his best to poison the rest of the country too.

Donald Trump is, at his core, one of those morons who ran to Chick-Fil-A to stuff his face because "HURR TAKE THAT LIEBRULS!"

no, completely wrong

he eats crappy food because he has a child's palate and he's only concerned about the short term pleasure of eating salty fatty hamburgers constantly and not the long term consequences of this behavior, which is what motivates most people to eat vegetables

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Sorus posted:

I also don't think Trump is capable of focusing on more than one thing at a time, so if he gets distracted by DC and MD's lawsuit that's less time he's dwelling on Mueller.

Trump won't be distracted by the court case unless it takes over the media narrative, which it won't. Trump caring about things is directly related to airtime on FOX & Friends and whether he holds a grudge.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Sinteres posted:

You'd have to have a cult member's mindset to work for this orange rear end in a top hat. Never do anything but praise him and his great works, constantly tell him how big his hands are, and if you even think about questioning him, you're out on your rear end and buried in lawyers for "slander".

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/874311750551826432

This disapproval rating matches Trump's all-time high, which he previously reached back in March.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Aurubin posted:

you idiots are so determined to be defeated regardless of what happens

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

So is it totally dead now? I doubt the Supreme Court will wish to hear it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

boner confessor posted:

no, completely wrong

he eats crappy food because he has a child's palate and he's only concerned about the short term pleasure of eating salty fatty hamburgers constantly and not the long term consequences of this behavior, which is what motivates most people to eat vegetables

Old people often eat weird food because they basically came from another culture and then got hosed up sensory nerves by being old. Like how old people always like boiled/steamed greens and no one under 60 does. It's 50% cultural shift that people can eat fresh greens all year long now so they don't make due with cans of muck and then old people mouths not being able to taste how awful and bitter canned steamed greens are compared to just buying fresh baby spinach or something like a modern person.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So in the Georgia race, if Orsoff does indeed win by a sizeable margin like some polls suggest (4-7 points) how is this thread going to frame it as a bad thing?

evilweasel posted:

"we could have run someone more liberal and still won! centrists :argh:"

Aurubin posted:

well that was quick

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Holy poo poo, I did not intend to contribute to the derail. Let me keep doing it though by explaining myself. I've sewn fitted clothes for myself and I understand that it's difficult to find fitted women's clothes that aren't knits, just because the nature of mass-produced clothes means things without stretch aren't really going to fit most people. But if it doesn't fit you okay then DON'T WEAR IT if you have any better options. Also I am wearing skants right now (like a skort, but worse).

I'm also not thrilled about women's daywear being tight-fitting and sleeveless because it makes women look decorative instead of focusing on their inner qualities, but I assume that's how Trump likes the women around him to look.

ReidRansom posted:

Also, who cares what's on Ivanka's outside. Her inside is rotten and that's what matters.
Yup.

Sinteres posted:

Holy poo poo, this is as crazy as some of the stuff on DWIL Nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

boner confessor posted:

no, completely wrong

Also, vegetables taste good if you cook them correctly and don't just boil em to they turn grey

• Locked thread